Survivor Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Survivor E10 Zipping Over The Cuckoo's Nest

maritimer00

[1]Apr 17, 2013
    • level: 71

This episode delivered what was promised on some levels, for me. The Dawn emotional breakdown, I thought, wasn't nearly as bad as the promos promised and she seemed in control the rest of the episode.

Tribal Council was epic and set up by a huge mistake by Phillip...the minute the alliance learned Malcolm had found another HII, he should have grabbed three of the most allies in his mind and said "if we have to vote out one of our own due to three idols in play, we go for.." and avoided the meltdown that happened at council. He didn't (whether arrogance or just not seeing it) and now is a jury member.

Phillip was not the most popular character this season, for sure, but people seem oblivious to the fact Reynold is gonna waltz to the win if they don't wake up soon.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

AdaHui

[2]Apr 18, 2013
    • level: 6
    Lordy, what a tribal! That was even better than the Corrine vote AND last week's immunity idol shift from Reynold to Malcolm. I must say, this season's TC have been giving me all sorts of joy. No question the best part of it was seeing the reaction when Malcolm gave Eddie the second HII. The scrambling, the names thrown out. Phew, that was fun lol

Dawn's meltdown was a WTF moment for me. Seriously, she dropped her retainer? Did she say why she couldn't jump in the water to get it? I mean, I just don't get the crying like you lost a limb when it was just down in the water. Then the whole crazy "everyone's voting for me"....that was just weird.

Super pumped that Phillip is finally gone. He was delusional to the end. I hope next is Andrea. But while I'm cheering for the 3 Amigos, I hope they have a plan or plan on finding the HII again. Who knows but yowzers, it's gonna fun to watch

mcepin3

[3]Apr 18, 2013
    • level: 16

I am soooo happy 3 things ,that I've been bitching,moaning,hoping,praying,PUTTING IN CAPS for past 9 episodes,happened in this long awaited episode. PHILLIP WAS FINALLY VOTED OUT!!! YEEESS!!! Erik and Brenda(!!!!) GOT SOME SCREEN TIME!!!

With Phillip gone it gives everyone a chance for screen time. And what a tribal....wooow. First time seeing people going "what do we do...who you wanna vote for...is it me!?!??!" I think most pressure and heat felt Andrea,because of previous votes cast against her,but I am sooo glad Phillip is gone. And Malcolm finally called him out. Finally someone called him out. I agree tribal councils are really crazy good this season.

Really Dawn,you lost your mind over that? I get it,how you got freaked out,but it was at bottom of tiny pond. Brenda got it like that for you. And then you dive in face first into mud at reward challenge...real smart,girl At least it lead to Brenda's screen time,so I was happy about that

Malcolm was using Penner's tactic at reward challenge. That is how that team won last season,because Penner got all bags out for everyone. I think it was Penner,right?

Edited on 04/18/2013 2:40am

anthem47

[4]Apr 18, 2013
    • level: 6

That might just be the best tribal ever. My previous favourite was way back in Heroes v Villains when Parvati played two idols (coincidentally), but this well and truly took the cake, I've never seen seven people scatter so quickly. They actually handled it really well, that said, by going along with the plan they at least flush out the idols, and so Phillip's play was quite noble in that sense.

At first I thought Phillip was just dealt a bad hand here, but the more I think about it, the lesson here seems to be "don't be a douchebag" in case something unexpected happens. Phillip was all "don't paint me as that kind of person", and while I think what Malcolm said might have overstated it a bit, maybe a little unfair, he was clearly difficult to live with. I can't believe he doesn't realise this...but then in his exit interview he said he didn't think he was taken seriously in his previous season. That's because you were crazy! Funnily enough I thought he had chilled out a lot since Brandon left though.

Well, Dawn's meltdown was a bit of a non-event. From how I understood it, a few of her bottom teeth are fake and attached to the plate, so she was upset about being seen on camera without her teeth in. I'm totally respectful of that, that would be embarrassing (especially given they're surrounded by cameras). But...I thought they fell in the ocean at first. They were in a little lake! Go and get them! Eh, on the other hand, if she'd really only had two hours sleep in three days, lack of sleep and paranoia do crazy things to you, I think she was ready to break over anything.

Re: next episode, I could actually see Sherri and Erik flipping. For a moment I thought using the idols in that way, while awesome, might have been a waste and only bought them one more episode, I think we might just be due for a big shuffle. Maybe. You'd think Sherri and Erik would both go "oh wait, Malcolm or Reynold will beat us at both challenges and final tribal", but I wouldn't be surprised.

dujgu

[5]Apr 18, 2013
    • level: 8

that was the best tribal ever. i hope that malcolm would give one of his idols to eddie, and he did it i am really happy for these boys. hope malcolm gonna win this time

marknmo

[6]Apr 18, 2013
    • level: 12
    I wasn't the biggest fan of Malcolm at the end of last season, but I'm cheering for him, Reynold, and Eddie now to take the whole thing. I'm not sure they can succeed, cause, honestly, that group of favorites seems solid and/or stubborn about breaking their alliance.

I really don't see Sherri ever leaving the majority to side with Reynold now, cause she's been so anti-Reynold/Eddie from day one, that I think she's got her pride nested in defying him to the end a little. Plus, she even stuck with the vote on Malcolm instead of trying to preserve herself by voting Phillip, which was just dumb, cause she really is at the bottom of the rung in that big alliance, so if the others had turned on themselves, it was going to be either her or Andrea. I just don't think Sherri is making any good attempts to position herself better to win. Following Phillips command to the end isn't going to get her jury votes.

But yeah, that tribal was SOOOO fun to watch. I loved watching Malcolm, Reynold, and Eddie laughing like little kids at all of the chaos they were causing the power alliance. Everything that Cochran was saying was everything I was thinking. It definitely spiced the show up to finally see a tribal where nobody knew who to vote for right before the vote - I hope that somehow, the producers can make this happen more often in the future, cause when everyone goes in with their minds madeup on who to vote for, it's kinda boring and tribal sometimes seems pointless.

Phillip was still too arrogant to try to break his original mindset on who to vote out, even though it was all laid out for him that he was the one going home if he didn't. That guy will never admit he was wrong in anything, and that's one of the big things about him that just bug me. I'm SOOOOO happy he's gone now, cause I was really starting to think we were approaching a Phillip win. Now that he's gone, I can wipe him from my mind and really enjoy the rest of this season without everything being about that bozo.

Also, I was very happy to see Brenda getting some quality camera time this episode. I think that was very nice of her to help Dawn out when she was breaking down like that. However, I think there was a key moment shown with Brenda that will come back later to have a big effect on the show - she said in her confessional that she would now never side against Dawn (or something like that). I think that's going to be the deciding factor in a power sway or possibly be a deciding vote if Dawn makes it to the final three. Actually, now I'm wondering if I have that backwards - did Dawn say that about Brenda?

I'm wondering now exactly how Eric is going to side in the future. He seems to just be volunteering as puppet for the rest of the faves and just providing them an extra vote. I'd like to see him do something to try to gain some power or significance in the season, but it's so late now, that I really don't have any hopes for that happening.

Oh, and something I just thought of. I'm happy that Corrine was probably watching this episode and was able to take satisfaction in watching her closest ally take down her biggest rival. Yay!

mcepin3

[7]Apr 18, 2013
    marknmo wrote:

Phillip was still too arrogant to try to break his original mindset on who to vote out, even though it was all laid out for him that he was the one going home if he didn't. That guy will never admit he was wrong in anything, and that's one of the big things about him that just bug me. I'm SOOOOO happy he's gone now, cause I was really starting to think we were approaching a Phillip win. Now that he's gone, I can wipe him from my mind and really enjoy the rest of this season without everything being about that bozo.

Also, I was very happy to see Brenda getting some quality camera time this episode. I think that was very nice of her to help Dawn out when she was breaking down like that. However, I think there was a key moment shown with Brenda that will come back later to have a big effect on the show - she said in her confessional that she would now never side against Dawn (or something like that). I think that's going to be the deciding factor in a power sway or possibly be a deciding vote if Dawn makes it to the final three. Actually, now I'm wondering if I have that backwards - did Dawn say that about Brenda?

I'm wondering now exactly how Eric is going to side in the future. He seems to just be volunteering as puppet for the rest of the faves and just providing them an extra vote. I'd like to see him do something to try to gain some power or significance in the season, but it's so late now, that I really don't have any hopes for that happening.

Ok,I am defending Phillip now,because I think that he isn't the type of guy,who would turn on his alliance. I think that was very loyal of him and noble. I was glad to see this. Ok,he turned on Corinne and Malcolm,but they already flipped,so no point being loyal to someone,who is gonna betray you.That is just stupid thing to do. I think he was all in with Andrea,Dawn and Cochran till top 4 and with Erik and Brenda for numbers. I blame Survivor,because all they showed Phillip being,sad to say this,but annoying and crazy. Way too much of Stealth R Us and too much talking. Again,I get it how in season,certain person emerges above rest(Rupert,Russell,Terri,Rob,etc.) and they get little more air time,but just too much of this f-ing Stealth R Us bullshit. Like with Brandon,way too much of his crazy talk about pissing,etc. That talk at the end Phillip made was great and if he was like that in game,then I would respect him more. We got some insight on Brenda's thoughts and I was waiting on that. I had no idea what she is thinking,how she is playing,why is she playing that way.etc. She said her heart went out to Dawn and that she ain't gonna turn away from her and vice versa. Dawn was happy that in a game like this,people still care and wanna help. I think they will stick together now.

Erik is swing vote,which can be both great and bad thing. If he is smart and plays his game,so that persons,who he wants to go home,go home,then he is in best position. People come to him with names and he chooses "side",but only side he is on is his own. That was Cerrie's play,Sandra's...as long as it ain't me,I don't care. But he doesn't throw morals away,so it's really up in the air with him. I hope he goes to the very end.

dragonradar

[8]Apr 18, 2013
    • level: 11

I don't know why phillip just told everyone to vote the same. By doing this he was are encouraging malcom and eddie to use the idols. Although, I don't think anyone should switch alliance. I am rooting for the 3 amigos but anyone that switch are guaranteed to lose based on bitter betrayed jury.

saylavee

[9]Apr 18, 2013
    • level: 18

I'm going to get this out of my system now, and not mention him at all for the rest of my post: PHILLIP IS GONE THANK THE HEAVENS YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!

...*cough* Now that that's out of my system...

That was probably the greatest tribal council out of all that I can remember. I replayed the part where Malcolm gives Eddie his second idol about 5 times just to see everyone's reactions. You go Malcolm! And I just loved the way he said "Yeah we're not going home" (or whatever that line was). Good job Malcolm, good job. I just wish I was better with words so I could write a lot (maybe of Cochran-Survivor-Essay Proportions) about just how great of a tribal that was.

I'm really glad that Dawn's "breakdown" wasn't the bulk of the episode. Though I do understand why she acted like that over losing her teeth. Sleep deprivation can do BAD things to you. Though I still think that she could've gone and got the goggles and looked for them herself?? I don't know exactly how she was feeling, so I won't think to much about it. And hey, more Branda screen time.

As soon as I saw that reward challenge, I KNEW Malcolm was going to go for that strategy! That was one of the things that stuck out to me about last season's challenges. Weird how it took so long from him to find them though.

So its pretty much certain that Erik will join the three amigos considering he voted with them (I wonder if the 3 will realize that) and the preview for next week. So hoorah! Possible Erik screen time! Weird that Sherri wants to flip though. If anything I would think Andrea would. Also, I wonder if they'll find yet another HII.

I'm rooting for those three though. I don't think any of them will win (my money is on Cochran because of his edit and just because i want him to win), but I hope they go far, and maybe have one of them win Player of the Season.

dragonradar

[10]Apr 18, 2013
    • level: 11

lol at the above pic. But I am glad as well because they didn't decide to keep him "just" to have an easy win at the end. As whoever goes against phillip is automatically favored for the vote. This was the ONLY reason anyone decided to keep him.

Although, I don't think the alliance is as loyal as people make them to be. Besides Cochran I don't think any of the "stealth r' us" has any real strategy and are just winging it.

marknmo

[11]Apr 19, 2013
    • level: 12
    One thing I forgot to bring up was Dawn's emotions when she lost her teeth. I had a friend who was hit by a car while riding her bicycle. Her face hit the hood of the car and knocked all of her front teeth out. She always had a bright, huge smile, but after that accident, she never opened her mouth anymore when she smiled. She was extremely self-conscious about her missing teeth, and feared anybody seeing her without them. It took a few months for her to heal and get fitted for false teeth. Once she got her false teeth, though, she started smiling big again and looked happy like she used to. I think Dawn probably has a complex about her teeth like my friend did, would just feel absolutely mortified if anybody (let alone all of America who watched Survivor) saw her without her teeth in. She was so upset, she said she would quit the show, just to avoid this happening, which I think my friend would have done, also.

Also, sorry if I seemed to rag on Phillip too much in my post. I just have never liked that guy. He always has something going on with somebody when he's on the show. This year, it was Francesca, Brandon, and Corrine. During his last season, he did the same thing with others and even tried to say it was a racist thing. He annoys the crap out of everybody there - we know this, cause every single person on his tribe has said so. We've also seen him bully people into doing what he wants. I just don't like him, and I never will. I'm glad he's gone.

mcepin3

[12]Apr 19, 2013

I am not saying everyone are loyal to their alliance...hell,we saw Brenda say Andrea's name and Andrea said Phillip's name,but I do think that Phillip and Phillip alone was loyal to his core alliance and rather than backstab them,he said if I will be voted out,because of it,so be it,I ain't gonna go out like punk and getting rid of my alliance for my sake. I might be wrong,but I think that was the case and this and his exit speech were rare things I like about him. Every other scene I just rolled my eyes and thought,why are the showing this and focusing so much on this(meaning mostly Phillip's Stealth R Us and his bs).

Like for Dawn,who knows,but maybe they wouldn't show scene with her missing teeth....if they skipped Brenda's injury,they could easily skip this. Maybe that will have some effect later in game,but like someone said,I would get it more,if she freaked out,if her teeth fell out in ocean,not in that tiny pond or lake.

meathead704

[13]Apr 26, 2013
    • level: 39

"Zipping Over the Cuckoo's Nest" gave the current season of Survivor a much needed jolt. For the longest time each episode was just more of the same. That became especially so when the Favorites gained the numbers advantage. This episode (For a very brief moment, mind you.) changed all of that.

The Tribal Council could very well be the best Tribal Council in the entire history of Survivor. The shocked look on the faces of the Favorites when the Hidden Immunity Idols were played was an all time classic. I loved seeing Andrea hiding her face in her hand. She had a look of defeat on her face that was just priceless.

What capped off a great Tribal Council was seeing Phillip get cut loose. Seeing Stealth "R" Us get shut down was absolutely beautiful.

It's too bad Malcolm, Eddie and Reynold could not build on their momentum. Still it was great while it lasted.