Survivor Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Survivor E12 The Beginning Of The End Discussion

maritimer00

[1]May 1, 2013
    • level: 71

A very solid episode capped off with a very entertaining second tribal council. The first half kinda ran true to form as Reynold's loss at the Immunit challenge spelled his certain doom.

However, what I thought was really great about this episode was Cochran sniffing out Andrea's attachment to Eddie and carefully orchestrating a brilliant blindside to send home Andrea with an idol in her pocket. Cochran may not win this season but he's really shown why he deserved a second try at the game.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dragonradar

[2]May 1, 2013
    • level: 11

I think that's what sucks about Survivor. The real strategic player usually doesn't benefit from being good. I hope Cochran wins but for some reason I think a coat tail rider will ultimately win..

mcepin3

[3]May 2, 2013
    • level: 16

My first reaction to Erik giving Andrea HII was same as Cochran's...wtf Erik!?!?!? But once I thought it over,I think in some ways it was a smart play. What is the point of hidden(first clue right there) immunity idol,if everyone in your alliance knows about it. Just puts target on your back and after Reynold was gone,there were only 7 left and HII is good up to final 5,right? So with Erik giving HII to Andrea,put target on her back and heat from his.

Long time coming,that either Reynold or Eddie left I knew it was gonna be Reynold,because it's all about Reynold,right? He's the "biggest threat",etc He,he,he.... Oh my those mustache...lol,lol,lol

Andrea talked too much. And she wanted all 6 of them to vote for Brenda...that was first mistake right there. She should have told Eddie and 2 others. With her,that's 4 and majority. She made same mistake as Corinne did,but Andrea handled her blindside pretty well. Was shocked how she handled it. 2nd mistake was,when she kept bringing up Eddie and not telling Cochran she wants him in final 3. You have to do this bs to everyone..."I wanna go to final 3 with you".

So Sherri is a ghost and that talk of hers,how she controls the game is bs. She is just a vote in someone's plan and I think,people don't see her as threat to win this game.

anthem47

[4]May 2, 2013
    • level: 6

Good episode. I enjoyed Andrea and Brenda making up their own rules for the challenge (although Brenda chose the most awkward way possible to lift her leg!). I hope Cochran survives the next one...while I'd like to see him win, I'd really like to see how he goes performing for the jury, so at least Top 3 would make me happy. The previews have me wondering how he could survive next episode though.

Also it's kind of amazing that there's two fans in the Top 6.

I'd be deeply surprised if Sherri or Erik won, and I doubt they'd take Eddie to the jury, so the winners would seem to be one of Cochran, Dawn or Brenda. Depending on who they're up against, I could see any of those three winning.

mcepin3

[5]May 2, 2013

Yeah,I think either Cochran or Brenda will win it. First depends,who will get to finale,but here are my thoughts:

(this is if person is in final 3)

Eddie - think he gets vote from his "bro" Reynold...maybeee Malcolm,because they were in same boat in the end and maybeee Andrea,because she has crush on him

Sherri- doesn't get any vote

Cochran - he would probably get majority votes

Dawn - she might be a threat for votes,because she has 6 kids,but I don't really see,that Dawn did much these last episodes.I think this game is too much for her to handle...I imagine her visiting therapy after this

Brenda - if she is in final with Cochran,I guess it would be toss up between these 2

Erik - didn't piss anybody,but don't think people will vote for him...but then again you never know with jury

Also,I think many don't think it's important,but I think it is and that is speech at the end+questions from jury. You could play great game,but jury is usually bitter(in alot of cases for good reason) and I always look forward to final 3 tribal council and questions. If a person makes a great case for himself/herself(like Sandra and she won 2 times)they will have in bag,but if a jury member slams one of finalists(like Eric did Russell) than "best" player will loose.

Jury so far:

Phillip - I think he will vote for a favourite,fan not even an option

Andrea - Again voting for favourite,maybeee Eddie

Malcolm - I think he would vote for Brenda

Michael - no idea on who he would vote for. I think on favourite

Reynold - if Eddie in finals,then he votes for Eddie

Just writing about this,I realized that favourite wins this season. No way Sherri wins,because she has done nothing worthy after tribes swapped. And Eddie was always on bottom,but didn't do anything worthy also. Fans,among some of "favs" were a real letdown this season,but season is great,because at least they play game. Favs sure pulled one over fans on how to play game.

dreaddy

[6]May 2, 2013
    • level: 3

I don't know about you guys, but this season is kind of nostalgic for me. The "eating-yucky-stuff" challenge of yesteryear is back. We had a first in two idols being played simultaneously at Tribal and a wise counter move (by Phillip) to vote as originally planned (had they not done this I'm positive Malcolm or Eddie would've kept an idol after bluffing that they would play it), and two classic blindsides SO FAR; that of Corrine and now Andrea. Neither of them saw it coming. And what made each blidside colossal was each involved a player considered to be the power player of the moment. I think it's also a first where the victim of the blindside uttered a verbal response to register shock ( Andrea: "WHAT?") while still at TC. Overall, I'm very impressed with the wisdom with which the favorites are playing this time around. Andrea seemed to have jumped the gun in targeting Brenda so early. Perhaps she felt the others saw Brenda as a threat as she had after the challenge. But if she played up Brenda as such a threat because of a challenge IN WHICH SHE WON, didn't she see by the same token the others would see her as a threat too if they got rid of Brenda? And why didn't Andrea return to the site where she had the stand off with Malcolm since it was obvious the idol was somewhere in that vicinity. Maybe the editors cut out her return to that site for a search.

It's a wide open game that is difficult to predict at this point. It's even more interesting now as I predicted it would be to those who felt the game was now dead with Malcolm gone. I'd like Cochran, Brenda or Dawn to win it all. But there are a few cracks for a dark horse to slip through. Sherri and Eddie can very well slip through to the end since the others might be so busy trying to use their votes to cut each others' throats they might forget to cut Sherri and Eddie loose. Then again, there's always the danger of the girls deciding to get rid of the remaining guys and make it an all girls fight. Eddie has a chance to win his way to final three via immunity, if those challenges require brawn and not brain. All in all, Survivor is very much alive and kicking. Kudos to the editors this season for keeping us guessing. Fine editing magnifies the blindsides.

Something to note: Am I correct in assuming that Jeff usually sees video of what everyone was up to before attending Tribal Council? While I think the show's continued success hinges on Jeff continuing to be the host, I do think he gives too much away at TC by the questions he asks certain players. Even though a player might answer shrewdly, his/her avoiding the question or answering in a certain way gives a potential victim a heads-up on votes coming his/her way and might play the idol when he/she didn't intend to. For instance, last night, for a moment I thought Andrea was going to play her idol after a response to something Jeff asked or said. Keep up the good work Jeff.

dragonradar

[7]May 2, 2013

I have to agree with the above post. I do not believe Jeff gets to see the confessionals. Since they probably have to be edited first but I could be wrong. I think Jeff is just good at being a host.

Best case scenario for Cochran is he brings Dawn and Brenda. I don't see how he can win against any other way. Only because he has the brains and Dawn and Brenda would definitely go to the finals if Cochran lets them. If they don't make it, it only means Cochran votes against them.

I just don't understand why Andrea would even consider to bring Eddie to finals. He would definitely win over her.

mcepin3

[8]May 3, 2013

Probst is exec producer,no? From the way he asks certain people about certain stuff,I was always sure,he watched more or less whole thing on what they do or at least get info on what's going on and from there asking questions.

Example: I think Probst knew Andrea was gunning for Brenda and his question to Brenda was just about that. And I looooved Brenda's response,where she just laughed,because she didn't want to give anything away to Andrea.

I always saw Cochran and Dawn as real only allies in game. So when Andrea went for Brenda and then Dawn,Cochran decided she has to go. He is the ring leader. That said,Dawn seems to be ruthless this time around,but I think she relies heavily on Cochran and what decision really to make.

While I am super happy,that Brenda and Erik are getting their screen time,I can't get over fact how both were completely ignored first half of season.

Last 2 fans I just don't see winning over Cochran,Brenda or Dawn.

maritimer00

[9]May 3, 2013
    I remember Jeff being asked about his role in the past at Tribal Council and he says he's there to find out the dynamics of the tribe as he's not privy to info beyond what is seen/heard at the challenges. That, and the councils last for hours that are obviously edited down for television. Even as exec prod., he's not sitting watching huge amounts of raw footage prior to council.

This last part is something I think we need to remember when noticing player X isn't shown much...you've got 45 min/week to show two tribes, challenge(s), the pre-TC chatting and council itself. With a large cast, the editors have to chose the best sound bytes to make a show watchable. Would it be better if Erik or Brenda got more air time? Sure, but maybe they didn't say or do anything that stood out in the early going.

mcepin3

[10]May 3, 2013

And what Phillip and Brandon were saying,was something worthy putting on tv? I just wanted them to treat everyone fairly and not just focus on nut cases. And I am sure both Erik and Brenda had something to say,that they could show. Example: Brenda hurt her knee...maybe not biggest deal,but still they could show it.

I keep hearing that tribals last for hours,but what do they talk about for hours at them?

dragonradar

[11]May 3, 2013

mcepin3 wrote:

And what Phillip and Brandon were saying,was something worthy putting on tv? I just wanted them to treat everyone fairly and not just focus on nut cases. And I am sure both Erik and Brenda had something to say,that they could show. Example: Brenda hurt her knee...maybe not biggest deal,but still they could show it.

I keep hearing that tribals last for hours,but what do they talk about for hours at them?

I agree. But this is what the people that does the editing deemed "entertaining". I feel my iq drop every time I hear them speak. I think Brenda hurting her knee is a big deal. I was lost and I thought I missed something. I'm sure they could have fit that in somewhere. I just feel the video editor always favor stupid or villain related topics

maritimer00

[13]May 3, 2013
    I wasn't a fan of Brandon's self immolation or Philip's, well, being Philip but these do draw eyeballs...if Philip was quiet and hard working, he would have been voted off quickly early on as an old/slow guy (something Reynold alluded to in passing).

Brenda still has a chance to shine in the remaining eps. Erik, otoh, seems to be somewhat clueless still when it comes to game strategy even as he excels at immunity challenges. He is a follower rather than a game changer at present and his lack of air time might reflect that.

dreaddy

[14]May 5, 2013
    • level: 3

lol I'm sure guys would've loved some shots of Brenda's knees. But seriously, she doesn't say much but she's much more entertaining than most. Eric The Red seems to have not a clue most of the time "Hey, I'm actually running this game." But he is more cautious this time around. I think Cochran's intention is to take probably Dawn and Brenda to the finals. Or swap Brenda for Sherri. He's likely to get there from Final four by winning that challenge if Brenda isn't involved. With his gift of gab, Cochran should do well in the final three.