Survivor Forums

Wednesday 8:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Survivor E5 Persona Non Grata Episode Discussion

maritimer00

[1]Mar 13, 2013
    • level: 71

Wow....I was prepared for an epic meltdown but man, was Brandon unraveling a sight or what? Cochran had him pegged right..this guy has issues that go beyond this game. Goes off on Phillip, wonders if he should go apologize...then dumps out the rice and beans and practically dares Phillip to start a fist fight. If that wasn't bad enough, his rant at the Immunity challenge was...scary...you have to wonder whether he was coached to go out this way by Russell. It was truly scary.

The other noteworthy thing of the ep for me...Reynold finding yet another HII and already planning to play it right away. Even with the good luck, the only thing that might save him long term is what looks to be a tribal swap next episode.

Truly, one of the most bizarre eps in the series history.

Edited on 03/13/2013 9:04pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

honorableninja

[2]Mar 13, 2013
    • level: 13

i have to pity russell somewhat this mark the second time a member of the hantz family has been expelled from a cbs reality show say what you want about him but he play the game as it was meant to be played unlike willie on big brother or brandon here.

EdgeOfThorns316

[3]Mar 14, 2013
    • level: 8
    You know the thing is, Russel while dirty at times...played the game. I think Brandon is embarrasing his family, and i got a feeling that come the reunion Russell isnt gonna be gentle with Brandon. Brandon is a sad individual, i realize its ratings but i still say why bring him back, he was never a favorite, never. He looked like a complete ass.

I just wish though someone would of been there to really stand up to him, James, Rob....hell its a moment in time i wish i was in the game at that very moment because people would of seen some thunder come down hard on Brandon, i would of rocked that little tit harder than hes ever been before, completely annoying.

Im so glad hes gone, now we can enjoy the rest of the season.

anthem47

[4]Mar 14, 2013
    • level: 6

Man, what an episode.

The thing is, and this is not a defence of him at all, I understood what he was getting at in terms of Phillip. I mean he is condescending, full of himself, and crazy. His club names seem like something that would be entertaining for about a day, but he just keeps on going with them. All that, I get. It's just Brandon's way of, er, expressing himself that was flawed. It's Survivor, if that's how you feel, explain all this to Corinne and Brenda, make a good argument to Cochran and Dawn, and you've got your five, boot him out.

But I think he knew what people were thinking, he knew everyone thought he was unstable, he knew he was doomed. In a situation like that, short of an idol, there's nothing you can do...and in my gut I think helplessness is something that Brandon doesn't handle well. He doesn't want to accept fate and look foolish, so he goes out in a blaze of (un)glory. Also he didn't have anything to lose, which is a dangerous position to put anybody in.

When he said he didn't want to come back and get walked all over episode after episode, that made a lot of sense for him - he did come off looking silly last time and he wants to repair that image. I think when he realised it was happening again he put his hand up to leave, then the next morning he changed his mind because he didn't want to look like he ran away or gave up, I think he decided right then to go out in a blaze of glory.

But the dude has kids though, that blows me away. On what planet is "everyone sees me screaming like a psychotic nut job" an improvement on "everyone sees me being Phillip's doormat"? That's why I mention his kids, you'd think at least you'd go "well, I'm close to exploding here, but I don't want them to see their dad being crazy (again)". I can only assume he wasn't thinking about his family, even though he always talks about them, and he was thinking "well, everyone already thinks I'm crazy, might as well run with it". Or, and this is also very possible, the Hantz family ranks psycho above doormat. Which is kind of interesting.

So who still wants to audition for Survivor? Could end up sleeping next to another Brandon!

mcepin3

[5]Mar 14, 2013
    • level: 16

Anthem47 that's what I also got from Brandon and his issue with Phillip. They are stuck there 24/7,starving,lack of water and imagine,that all the time you have to hear about Stealth'R'Us and their code names,how Phillip isn't running the game,etc. I am tired of Phillip just based on some clips they show and roll my eyes...imagine 24/7 to listen to that!!! They deserve some medals or when they are reborn in next life,they will be billionares!

Was Brandon crazy? Yes,but I was so glad that he called out Phillip and told him,that Boston Rob brought him to the end. While verbal fight was intense,I couldn't stop laughing,because Probst was whole time massaging Brandon to calm him down

Few times Brandon was smiling,while he should be super mad,so I was left wondering,was all this some sort of act and getting Brandon on Favourites,just so they could pull stunt like this? While Brandon isn't Favourite,that also goes for Phillip and Corinne.

But I looved this episode At least something different Seems mix of tribes is coming in next episode.

mcepin3

[6]Mar 14, 2013

And what about reward challenge. Fans keep on talking about Eddie and Reynold as muscles,but then they go and put them on throwing instead of holding the rope. Maybe Michael and Matt are stronger than those 2...I get that,but if Eddie and Reynold are stronger,than those 2 should hold rope,while Michael and Matt throw coconuts. It is a team effort of both getting coconuts into others team,but it really comes down to,who can hold out the longest. Or maybe they could have put Eddie on holding and Reynold on throwing,because it seems so far,that Reynold is really good at that stuff.

mcepin3

[7]Mar 14, 2013

I was already able to rewatch episode and did you guys and girls even know,that Brenda did something to her left ankle? In reward challenge,you can see her hopping on right foot. I don't know,if she did something on previous episodes,but this is just crazy,how they ignore Brenda,Erik and Julie. I do hope that means,that they are gonna stay for the long run and hopefully get at least some scenes with them and not just at tribal,if they get voted out

saylavee

[8]Mar 14, 2013
    • level: 18

I used to post here awhile ago so lets restart on an interesting episode hmm.

I agree with Anthem47 on this issue with Brandon.

Its hard to say, but I think Brandon's little breakdown could have been avoided, or at least put off, if Phillip would actually accept someone's apologies and not hold grudges (Like with Francesca). What was he even thinking? He says he values honesty and loyalty, yet he goes off lying about putting past issues to rest to an obviously unstable person. Sure, lying is how you play the game, but when there's a guy who is dangerous to those around you, you have to stop being to self-centered and think about how he might affect the others. Move past it and move on in the game!

Now, I am in no way defending Brandon. What he did was way out of proportion and unfair to the rest of his team. But at least before his meltdown he was trying to change and move past his first argument with Phillip.He obviously knew he was going home and wanted to leave with a bang and a reason, but he could've toned it down a bit, if not for the others there but for his children watching. Both parties were in the wrong here, but Brandon just dug too deep of a hole for himself for any argument to come out sound to those there. I understand if the conditions they were living him got to him, I understand if he happens to have angermanagementissues (actually I REALLY understand if he does) but he needs to learn some self-control and hopefully this will help him do so when he looks back on it.

I'm relieved he's gone though, and hopefully with this upcoming merge/tribe switch up Phillip will be next to go.

Also was it just me or did it seem like Brandon initially wanted to ask to switch tribes at the challenge?

EdgeOfThorns316

[9]Mar 14, 2013
    Nah, here im tellin ya here is the difference. I would "accept" that breakdown a little more but let me mention where it changes from frustration to psychotic.

When brandon was talking about pissing in the rice and beans, that to me....is where it went from more than just frustration from Philip.

If youre a man, you just basically tell Philip hey im not playing your little game no more...and thats it. And i can understand maybe hitting a point, but that was way past the point. Because the rest of the camp doesnt deserve a person to piss in the rice and beans, or burn the shelter down.

That to me, is where a psychotic person lives within Brandon. Its just like "WHY" would you even think or say that? To pee in the food?? Its messed up.

So that is where to me i cant accept his meltdown, sure i totally get getting frustrated with Philip...but be a man about it, not a freaking psychotic ass.

belial013

[10]Mar 14, 2013
    • level: 14
    Brandon is bat shit crazy, he needs to get some help asap, well at least the episode will be ratings gold

maritimer00

[11]Mar 14, 2013
    • level: 71
    I honestly think that Jeff was afraid Brandon was going to start throwing punches at Phillip and anyone else who got in the way of his rant at the challenge.

The thing about Brandon that tips his hand a bit about the fact its not just Phillip is his actions towards the group as a whole...if it was just Phillip, he would have screamed, yelled, ranted, etc...but he was talking about burning down the camp days earlier before he and Phillip tangled. Brandon's persona could be he can't deal with a situation where he isn't in control and seen as the hero/leader.

The reunion at the end of the season might be the first time where we see burly security types near the stage just in case...sad but Brandon's just that way.

ted2332

[12]Mar 14, 2013
    • level: 4

mcepin3 wrote:

I was already able to rewatch episode and did you guys and girls even know,that Brenda did something to her left ankle? In reward challenge,you can see her hopping on right foot. I don't know,if she did something on previous episodes,but this is just crazy,how they ignore Brenda,Erik and Julie. I do hope that means,that they are gonna stay for the long run and hopefully get at least some scenes with them and not just at tribal,if they get voted out

Something is wrong with her knee, it looks like the medical team put a support on it inbetween the reward challenge and the elimination challenge , but this was Brandon's hour so they skipped showing it.

MarlboroMagpi

[13]Mar 14, 2013
    • level: 5
    As much as this episode was about Brandon but I just really dislike Philip. I hope whoever ends up with Philip after next week change up of the tribe knows how to get rid of Philip. I just do not want anyone bringing him along again to the final 3 because he is "unlikable" by the jury. He will be disillusioned into thinking he is one of the "great" players again!I honestly do not believe he was a FBI agent before or maybe he was an agent who was dismissed.I agree with someone who posted earlier.The guys who put up with him 24/7 deserve the million dollars.

EdgeOfThorns316

[14]Mar 15, 2013
    I agree with Brandon that Philip is probably the most irritating person to play the game with, i agree. But the whole pissing in the beans and rice, dumping the rice...etc....that is just another level of insanity that makes me believe the dude is a mental case. Just isnt needed for a game that doesnt rely on that kind of crappy drama to be good.

mcepin3

[15]Mar 15, 2013

Yes,even saying that he would piss on rice and beans or that he would burn the shelter is crazy and unfair to other teammates,no matter how much you dislike them. But which is the lesser of the evils here? Dumping rice and beans OR pissing on rice and beans? I take dumping any day of the week over pissing But that's just me....

While Phillip said he had nothing against Brandon,I think Phillip just rubbed Brandon the wrong way,with constant spy games stuff,talking all the time,running the game,but saying he ain't running the game...and at IC,when Brandon was standing next to Probst,they even subtitled it Brandon saying "here we go" In Phillip's defense,he seems and is great competitor in challenges. I don't know,if he shined this much in his season,but this time around,he is the one,who won some challenges for them. Still he annoys me with spy game stuff,among other things he does or says

saylavee

[16]Mar 15, 2013
    • level: 18

To be honest, I don't believe that Brandon would have pissed in the food or burnt down the shelter. He seems like one of those people who talk big but would never live up to it. S

ure, he obviously has some mental issues, but (before his breakdown) he was still thinking rationally enough to know not to do it. He was probably just putting on a show for TV at that point. Either way, its still unfair to his tribe what he did.

As for the whole Phillip thing, my gut says he'll either be gone before the merge or shortly after it. Hopefully he will, for the life of me I can't understand how Phillip (or Brandon for that matter) got on FvF. Like EdgeofThorn said this show doesn't need this kind of crap to be good, not one bit.

Edited on 03/15/2013 10:33am

Taylorg8

[17]Mar 15, 2013
    • level: 13
    I've enjoyed Phillip a little bit more this season, but Brandon and he seems to be hogging all the air time on the favorite tribe! I want to see what Erik and Brenda(my favorite favorite) are thinking. We have seen only a little of Erik episode one and Brenda has only been seen in a few meaningless conversations and I believe NO confessionals! With that said, I am liking this season more than others and Probst said something about how he still believes this season is great and much more is about to happen in the upcoming episodes. I really enjoyed this episode and I think it's stupid to hate it just because it was focused on Brandon and his meltdown! It was fun to watch and great television in my opinion. I am so happy he's gone now though. Maybe we will see more players actually get screen time.

AdaHui

[18]Mar 16, 2013
    • level: 6
    Everything I was thinking was covered but here's my thoughts....

I definitely agree with Brandon in terms of Phillip being a complete and utter ass. Between the two of them, I couldn't figure out who was the bigger blowhard that annoyed me more. That being said, I don't agree with what Brandon did at all. The way he vascilates between rationale and unhinged is a very serious concern. There's nothing staged about that meltdown. It seems Cochrane's comparison of him to a crazy psychopath is more likely the truth. Just an absolutely crazy, crazy thing. I just don't like how Phillip seems to believe he's "won" being able to get rid of Brandon. He's more than equally at fault with his crazy nonsense of telling him to tow the line and not bite the hand that feeds him. Phillip needs to get knocked on his ass badly.

mcepin3 - you said exactly what I had thought during the reward challenge. I would have put Eddie and Matt doing the holding and have Reynold and Michael do the throwing. Just seemed like yet another challenge with flawed strategy from the fans.

Seems like Reynold is the one with lucky horseshoes this season. Finding the second immunity idol....when they were all actively looking for it? That's just crazy good.....and the producers seem to be getting worse and worse at hiding it to always be found so easily.

Despite the scary outburst, stellar episode.