Survivor

Wednesday 8:00 PM on CBS Premiered May 31, 2000 In Season

maritimer00

Survivor Fan Reviews page 10 of 11

• they need to add more to the show

6.3
    This survivor is just like all the other survivors they need to change it up more. Yeah one group didnt have to bulid there shelter and bith tribes had to do a hike instead of swimming to the beach but that is because it is not a good idea to go swimming there
  • Read our popular weekly commentary on Survivor. We pull no punches and tell it as we see it.

GREENY\\\'S BREAKDOWN:

If Bobby Jon and Stephanie can come back to Survivor, so can Greeny! At least until Donut votes me off the review.

Survivor Guatemala: Arguably the most dangerous Survivor setting so far. It is a land filled with dense canopy, tarantulas, poisonous snakes, crocodiles, quick sand, and lunatic screaming monkeys (genus: apus insanus screamus). These are not to be confused with their close relatives from the Land of Oz…lunatic flying monkeys (genus: apus insanus aviatus). Jeff Probst is back but something doesn’t look right. I don’t read People Magazine or anything, but did this guy have some work done? His forehead suddenly looks smoother than Richard Hatch’s behind!

It’s good to see Bobby Jon and Stephanie back. These two are not only the hardest working Survivors ever but also the two most screwed over Survivors in history. Bobby Jon however looks like he lost a little of his shape…wouldn’t you agree ladies? Fame from Survivor Palau probably leads to too many big dinners in Hollywood.

The reward race sure took its toll on Bobby Jon and the other men. The 11 mile trek through a hot jungle with little water lead to dehydration, cramping, and projectile vomiting not seen since Linda Blair ate some bad green pea soup. Had these guys just been able to walk another 11 miles, they would have crossed over the border into Belize and would have made it to Temptation Island. There is nothing that cures dehydration like a good margarita and group sex! Oh well…that’s another reality show.

I am not so sure how long Bobby Jon will last. The last time I had a “white eyed roll back” like that was in 1976 when I was making love to my Farrah Fawcet poster in the privacy of my bedroom! (Is that what you would consider TMI Donut?) I think Stephanie has a much better chance. Especially with a goober like Gary Hogeboom around. For those of you that don’t know, Gary Hogeboom is an ex Dallas Cowboy (boo!) quarterback. Quarterbacks are natural leaders and he’ll soon take over, and take the heat off Stephanie. By the way, I am surprised Blake hasn’t recognized him yet, being that his bio says he’s a major Dallas Cowboy fan. Poor Blake had that run in with The Guatemalan Poisonous Spike Tree (genus: Arborous Venomous Stabbus). Jim seemed like a smart guy, but after popping his bicep, he was doomed. I think if he had made it to episode 2, he would have died. Just enjoy retirement my friend. You have to love Margaret’s position right now. Looks like a Nurse Practitioner’s skills will prove to be more valuable than Mayan gold!

I hope you all enjoy the season, and maybe I’ll pop in from time to time to give Donut my commentary. For now, I need to head down into my basement and look for that lost Farrah Fawcet poster. Until we meet again…..Greeny

DONUT\\\'S BREAKDOWN:

HEADLINE: September, 15, 2005. Back By Popular Demand-- Stephenie, Bobby Jon and Greeny. What more could we ask for?? I don\\\'t know what else would be on my wish list but we also get a hot ex NFL Quarterback, a very cool nurse and a bunch of cute guys puking their guts up. Survivor Guatemala: Outplay, Outlast, Outpuke. My first impression is that this can be a strong season. Steph and Bobby Jon. Bobby Jon and Steph. The plaster fell off the downstairs ceiling I was jumping up and down so much. The strongest woman and the hardest working man EVER. And from a baser place in my soul-- more eye candy for me. My sister is disappointed because she hates to see Steph and Bobby Jon on opposing teams. It\\\'s unnatural, like Matt (Lauer) without Katie (Couric), Bill without Hillary. Sigfried without Roy. I agree but optimistically await a merge where they will hopefully be reunited. That is if they are not too threatening to the others and get voted off early.

As always, very few stand out in the early episodes. The football player (AKA Gary the landscaper) and the nurse are the exceptions. Let\\\'s see, there is a boneheaded NY Doorman who likes to wallow in the mud. A zookeeper-- I am going to put her on my good list by virtue of her profession, even though she didn\\\'t say anything the whole premiere. A magician\\\'s assistant-- that could come in handy-- abracadabra-- and she removes a hamburger from her buff (the real magic trick is removing the buns from her bikini bottoms) An old man who is nice but not physically up to the task. And a couple of stud muffins.

The first challenge of the season is physically grueling. With little more than an introduction the newly formed tribes must trek 11 miles through the hot, humid jungles of Guatemala in search of the best camp. They are given a map, a compass and an invitation to bring whatever supplies they can carry. Bobby Jon and Steph know how the other thinks and each tries to pry their team away from the provisions and onto the trail. It is hard going through the dense rainforest. This is no walk in the park, unless the park is located in Hell. Heat, humidity and cumbersome sacks of corn bog them down. Is the jungle angry at the intruders? I think so. A tree attacks Blake by dropping a spike laden limb on his shoulder. The Ents don\\\'t like the Hobbit invaders (yes, I am a LOTR geek). Navigation which is difficult in the light of day becomes impossible and hazardous in the dark. Both tribes stop for the night. And so begins the Barfarama.

I haven\\\'t seen so many hot young guys spewing like this since Fraternity Rush Week freshman year. Blake is down. Bobby Jon is down. Jim is down. And Judd is down. The Nakum campsite has been transformed into a hospital ward. They need major assistance and unlike the National Guard, Margaret the nurse immediately sets about helping the boys get back on their feet. Dehydration is ugly. Blake must have expelled half his body weight. Bobby Jon, who actually looks a bit beefier this season, lays on the ground unable to move, eyes rolling back in their sockets. Scary!! In addition to the vomiting, they are cramping (this is why men can\\\'t have babies!!) and lethargic. Margaret and the other women make rounds giving water to the guys and trying to keep them cool. In their zeal to win the first challenge they overexerted. This is typical Bobby Jon behaviour. It is why everyone admires him, but he has to pace himself or his health issues will make him a liability. He carried two huge bags of corn on his back and led the pack through the jungle. As morning breaks both teams try to get an early start but Yaxha leaves first and passes the ailing Nakum (Bobby Jon\\\'s team) members. No one on Stephenie\\\'s team was sick which should give them an advantage. But all it takes is one weak player to pull a whole team down and there was one. Stephenie relieves her of her burden but too little, too late and Nakum limps past. The final leg of the contest is a boat race to the finish. It looks like a clear victory for Nakum. Until Judd jumps out and gets stuck in the mud. To make matters worse, Bobby Jon is literally paralyzed. He can\\\'t take the 2 steps required to get off the boat. Forcing his leg one step at a time he makes it. Hippo boy also extracts himself from the mud and they hobble across the finish line moments ahead of their competition.

Their hard won campsite is worth the fight. They get to spend 39 days in an authentic Mayan ruin. Very cool. The mobile hospital sets up shop and Nurse Margaret is pulling lots of overtime duty. Moderately recovered, they are as ready as they can be for the very physical Immunity Challenge; pull a boat across the finish line using the same method the Mayans used to build their pyramids. It is closer than expected and despite an heroic effort from Nakum, Yaxha wins. The first Tribal Council in 2 seasons where Steph doesn\\\'t participate. Not so for Bobby Jon. The tribe with so much promise and so much muscle is depleted. Who will bring the tribe down the most? In a unanimous decision they vote off Jim. Jim is much older than the others and less likely to recover quickly. To top it off, he snapped his bicep muscle during the challenge. He sports a homemade sling on his arm and that seals the deal. It is no surprise when he is given the boot. He\\\'s a nice guy but he will drag them down. Surprisingly, Jim cast his vote against Margaret?? Huh?? What am I not getting? Maybe there is more we did not see??? I guess we\\\'ll have to wait until next week to see how that unfolds. Meanwhile-- Bobby Jon, next time you get a cramp, CALL ME!!! Until then......

• Survivor: Guatemala's first episode was down right boring and I almost fell asleep.

6.1
    Episode one of Survivor: Guatemala.

I'm a die hard don't miss an episode, seen it from the beginning.
    I am starting to tire of it. I hope it improves over the next few weeks because Thursday's episode was kind of boring.
    I guess I'm getting used to the twists and turns and games. There's not too much new under Survivor sun.
    I didn't find the fact that they brought back "Bobby Jon," and "Stephenie," that surprising. I was watching and thought, okay, so what!!!!
    I rate Survivor a ten but have to give this first episode of this season; less than a 6 rating. They need a drastic new game plan with never before seen stuff that will keep us watching. I have to watch as I'm a loyal fan and have to see it to the end.
  • This show rocks!

I love this show! It's always cool to see this and what people have to go through just to get One Million Dollars! I can't wait for the season finale (with the season). I think they should make a Teen Survivor. It would be funny watching teens go through this. 'Nuff said.
  • Still the greatest!

10 seasons in, the original, and in my opinion, still the greatest.

There have been a million shows "inspired" by Survivor (and country-specific copies aka Survivor-UK which was ghastly) but nothing comes close to the original.

I'll cheerfully admit that the formula got a bit stale a few seasons back, but since 'All-Stars' things have looked up. That unique blend of action, back biting, romance (?!), good looking people (yes even after 4 weeks in a jungle) and Jeff Probst make Survivor unmissable!

Still one of my favourite things on TV.
  • Its a good show but the name is getting old

Survivor very good show. But too meny seasons. The name is starting to get on my nurves. i respect personal opinion but this is worse then the constart Mario games. Never the less it gets best by meny meny other shows like Family guy and South park. they might be a different genre but they OwN.
  • Why does Survivor remain the premier reality show? Good casting, good editing, and a simple, intriguing premise.

Survivor marked the beginning of the Reality TV craze, more so than Cops or The Real World. It turned people into characters, part of a twisted, sociological nightmare of a game show. And for those reasons, and the others that make so many condemn this show, I love it.

While Survivor has had its fair share of ups and downs over the course of its 11 season run, it has remained the most consistently entertaining reality show on TV.

Say what you will about the breakdown of American culture, or the bastardization of the word "reality," Survivor is a good idea done well.

The key, I think, to being able to enjoy a show like this, is to not take it too seriously. Sit back and relax, watch it like you would a fictional show, and marvel at how devious, idiotic, and hilarious these characters can be.

In the end, there is a reason that Survivor is the most popular reality show after American Idol: the people behind it are talented and the show will always be entertaining, even during its bad seasons. I for one, look forward to tonight's premiere of Survivor: Guatemala eagerly.
  • We all know the story, they put some people on a beutiful island (usually) and let them fight and do their stuff until every one hates each other and gives up all their morals.

I really can't help it, I love this show, the places they find (except Pearl Islands [ugh]) are so incredibly beautiful, I have to say that Palau is the most beutiful tropical location I have ever seen. But the main element of this show is the people and their reaction to each other and their surroundings, and that's the magic of the show the people they cast/accept are always so intriguing. This show really is a classic, people really are not impressed when I say I still like it but it is one of the only shows that can repeat the same thing with only slight changes and not lose the original dynamic it had.

I call this my guilty pleasure only because of what channel it's on. You see I am a huge fan of NBC and I can't help but hate the compition and this is literally the only show on CBS that I am willing to watch.
  • this show is totally gay and should be taking off the air, a waste of air space and people who watch it are stupid. it has nothing to do with anything and i feel retarded after seeing one episode. my god people get a clue and make better shows.

0.6
    this show is totally gay and should be taking off the air. it is a waste of air space and people who watch it are stupid. it has nothing to do with anything and i feel retarded after seeing one episode. my god people get a clue and make better shows.
  • One of the greatest things Burnett does with this show is the fact he creates new ideas for each season.

When I first started watching Survivor it was around the Pearl Islands season, where Johnny Fairplay started the dead grandmother haux. Needless to say, Fairplay got me hooked. Not only was the show necessarily dramatic, but it also could make you laugh. Especially guys like Rob Mariano or Rob Cesternino, I hope I spelled that right, could cause you to burst into laughter. The show offered kind contestants, notorious contestants, funny contestants, and even contestants that reign in tyranny.
    Borneo was season 1 and offered my favorite survivor of all time, Richard Hatch. Now Hatch could be described as ruthless, but not only was he ruthless but he was also caring and kind, which was a weird combination. I mean you have a guy who made you laugh, made you stare in awe, and made you shudder all in one.
    I am collecting the Survivor seasons one by one as they are released on DVD. One of the greatest things Burnett did and still does with this show is the fact that he creates new ideas for each season. For example, the next season, set in Guatamala, is the first Survivor that will take place indoors, inside the ruins of Guatamala.
    As an overall statement for this show, I would simply have to say, even though it is cliche, "outwit, outlast, outplay".
    Borneo
    Australia
    All-Stars
  • The BEST reality show around!!

This is the greatest reality show of all time and this series is the absolute BEST. The show is full of surprises and crazy twists which makes it that much more exciting and this keep you wanting to keep watching it. Overall it is a great show but it may be repetitive if you have already seen the other ones in the survivour series but if you havent I strongly suggest you watch it.
  • An very good attracting show

I live in New Zealand so can someone get back to me quickly with who wins at the moment there are 11 people still left on the island so get back to me quickly or there is 8 wekks of watching and waiting to go. Overall this is 1 great show.
  • 18 contestons conpite for a million dollars.

This show is very interesting, but only when they are playing the games and the end of the show where the guy gets voted off. Its seems that the show consites of 1 half talking and straiging and the other half is the games and well thats why I gave it a 5. But the games are fun to watch so I will give it a 7.5. all right its a good show just no more talking and stragizing.

Once you get around the fact that you can switch channels when you don't want to hear how blah tries to kick off blah!! Who cares. If you want talking watch the talk channel!!
  • i really dislike survivor because it stayed on tv for too long and it is just dumb

1.3
    i mean the first 4 seasons were very good but after they keep creating more and more seasons it just gets boring and stupid i just hope they don\'t keep it going too long or this show will be more boring than it already is

final word don\'t watch

• No matter how many times 24 teases that Jack Baur is going to die or how many times Batman is stuck in a giant snow, I'm never going to emotionally buy into the danger. In every episode of Survivor there's a real chance a character could leave for good.

Name another show where there's a real chance every week that a main character will leave the cast for good. Claims that the show is getting worse each season are more or less nostalgia and romanticism. Some seasons (The Australian Outback, Marquesas and The Pearl Islands) are amazing, other seasons (Africa, Palau and the overhyped All Stars edition) are just good. But the tense plot structure guaruntees that Survivor will stay suspenseful year after year.

No other show has the scope that Survivor does with each season set in a breathtaking environment (The Amazon, the African savanah), the real struggle for Survivor and high emotional stakes making for very intense melodramatic relationships and memorable payoff moments.

Say what you will about exploitative, flash in the pan FOX reality shows like My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss or The Will, mention the scandels and the allegations (largely grounded) that those shows are heavily rigged. But Survivor is a character driven drama that bears little relationship to those other shows. Survivor may be cast for drama. But what happens on the show is very real and the outcomes continue to surprise. I think the real difference is that Survivor doesn't aim to shock or gross out or titilate audiences - at least not first and foremost - but rather it tries to tell a compelling story. And it does.
  • Used to be good but it didnot go down hill it fell of a cliff.

5.5
    Survivor used to be an amzing show. It had real people and emotions. They had original challenges and prizes. Now it has become repeditive. They repeat challenges and find the best looking peole that they can. it seems to be more off a scrpit than reality. They also try to find clashing personalites so that people are constantly bickering. This to me makes the show unenjoyable some bickering is good but to much ruins it. I prefer to see teams get along and make accomplish meants. The only i watch this show is because it is the only thing on and i find the only good person and watch to see how far they get which usally is not very far.
  • Watched it every since seson 2! I missed number 1 but I have it on vhs..lol

Watched ever since season 2 began. I love survivor. Although somtimes it seems so played out its still a great show. Hopefuly I will get all season on vhs and dvd. I have season 1 and 2 already. Well survivor is still great no matter what. Some of my favorite people were- Roger,Lex,Johnny "fair-play" and Rupert of course :)
  • Survivor is a reality show filled with action, suspense, and may I say backstabbing! No one seems to really get the point of the show though! To survive on the island you have to backstab no one is there to make friends. If you are you dont need money!!!

I absolutley adore this reality show. It's all I ever wanted in a television show. Suspense, action, and backstabbing, where the players destenation is money. I hope they continue with this show in the future. It's such a well planned and constructed show, it deffinatly has my vote for the best reality televison show ever!!!!
  • Still good after all these years.

7.3
    The show could have gone downhill fast after the first season, and it looked like it would in Season 3. The creators figured out that people would learn from each progressing season and they changed things accordingly. Some of the best seasons have been the more recent ones, notably Pearl Islands and Pulau. Where some shows like The Apprentice have ceased to adapt to the wiles of the contestants. The Apprentice has even begun recruiting people who you wouldn't hire purely for amusement's sake. In Pulau everyone was sure that Ian and Tom were doomed as soon as the tribes merged, but Tom triumphed, the first truly dominant player to win since Richard Hatch. I don't know how much longer they can string it out, but they haven't run out of stuff yet
  • The first but not always the best

Survivor may have been the first reality show but it is not always been the best. I like the fact they have stuck pretty much to the tried and true measures and making only minimal changes.
    My favorite in the series so far had to be Pearl Islands where Rupert took the theme of Piracy to new limits by stealing the other teams shoes and personal items. This is the way the game is suppose to be played. I also like the fact that they allowed the winning tribe in the reward challenges to loot an item for the losing tribe.
    It will be interesting to see what happens next. It is a shame though that the Producers were not able to work out a deal to actually send someone in space.
  • this show is about 16 people who are stuck on a island and have to do compititions in order to beat the game (be the last one left on it.)

7.8
    This can be a pretty intertaining show with all of the challenges and stuff. But at times it can be pretty boring as well with all of the talking about peoples opinions and who is annoying and really stupid stuff like that. But overall its a fun show, although the different season do kind of get repetitive after a while. But it is a good show worth watching.
  • Jeff Probst hosts this reality show about castaways living together in the middle of no where. Every episode, one castaway is voted out.

Whats the point to all this reality? We allready have enough stuff to watch without wondering how some people are doing on some island. I don\'t reccomend going on survivor, because it\'s a job that only lasts a month.

The past two seasons were so boring. Like on screen they give them so many benefits in the award challenges. If they really want torture there fellow man, they should get rid of award challenges lol. Of course some of the challenges are fun to watch like sporting events. Despite that it is still really boring to watch.

Some of the past seasons were really enjoyable, but the most recent seasons weren't all that good. My favourite seasons were: The first season (I didn't see all episodes in that season), The Australian Outback, Africa, Pearl Islands, and All-Stars.

Some of the cast members, I mean castaways are allright, especially that guy who lied about his greandmother, but there arn't enough of those people left. Anyway if you like a show about people trying to survive, and depending on eachother, like 'Lord of the Flies' then maybe this is a show for you. You have been warned.
  • This is best show ever! I love show's emotion, atmosphere, anticipation...

At first, there are "Race for award" - Survivors can get e.g. food, trips, tools etc.

After that, there are "Race for immunity" - tribes, which gets figure of immunity, stay this night at tribe. The second tribe goes to "Tribal council".

At this Tribal council must vote off one person.

When is ten players at the game yet, it is going in to the "Tribe mergence" to tribe one.
  • I have a question I dont know where to write to get an application to try out for suvivor and who do i contact i want to put an application in for this and amazing race could you help me withj this

i would like to know know please e-mail me back i dont know what else to write but suvivor is my favorite show and i watch it every week and if i miss it i tape it every week i also have the first video of the first season also
  • best show ever. stephenie lagrossa is one of the sexiest human being on the planet but too bad she has a boyfriend :(. julie was pretty hot too, and eliza, jenna morasca, heidi klum. tom was the best ever and so was rupert. well done survior! best show! c

best show ever. stephenie lagrossa is one of the sexiest human being on the planet but too bad she has a boyfriend :(. julie was pretty hot too, and eliza, jenna morasca, heidi klum. tom was the best ever and so was rupert. well done survior! best show! c'ya later.
  • Survivor is the show that all other reality shows are trying to imitate.

Survivor is the show that all other reality shows are trying to imitate.

Mark Burnett came up with the idea of putting people on an island and having the vote one another off until only one is left. His idea has been stolen, borrowed, twisted and ripped off. Survivor really is the show that all other reality shows are trying to imitate.

What makes Survivor great is their willingness and ability to tweak the formula of the game so every series of the show is different. The changes are not always big, but there are always a few surprises for both viewers and contestants.

The locations change but it is the strategizing that we love to see. I always enjoy the fact that pre-game favorites mean nothing. Sometimes a player who appears most capable is first or second out and sometimes those who I’m sure are going early are around to the end.

Watch Survivor. You’ll like it if you watch it.
  • ok i dont get these summary things , everyone shud know by now what survivor is! its kinda self explainitory!?!

The best show ever put on television, theres nothing like it ..... everyone watches is because its so awesome! whoever thought of having a show like this was a genious. im so pathetic i cry when people get voted off! this show is gonna go on forever! i cant wait for next season!!
  • The show that started the Reality TV craze. Outwit, Outplay, and Outlast...could you survive the elements and the social drama?

This show is great because it shows everyone how we as human beings react under pressure! Imagine being stranded in remote location without fire or shelter or even a TV!! I would go crazy!! Not only do you have to survive the elements and the torturous imunity chalenges, but you also have to survive EACH OTHER!! But I guess that would all be worth it to win a million bucks!! Every season the producers of Survivor come up with new and exciting twists to keep the show going! I can not wait until the new season begins! It looks to be very entertaining!
  • Surviving the past few years, this titan in the realm of reality TV shows few signs of slowing down any time soon.

Never dumbing itself down for its audience, Survivor is made up of a very consistent forumla that works. After awhile, the wear and tear of tribe members will get to you. What's best however is the way the show's set up.

Each season puts our Surviovers' on a new island, with all new challanges and themes. The basic make-up of an episode consists of our host challanging the castaways to two challanging missions, having them struggle for three days on the island, and having a tribal councle in which someone's voted off of the island. For the first challange, it's tribe oriented. The "team" has to work together, to overcome the other, usually being rewarded for their efforts. Whichever team loses is sent to a seperate challange for "immunity", because that team will have to vote someone out. In these immunity challanges, it's ever man for himself.

In what may seem quite cruel, the show's participants overcome great struggles, and often get sick or hurt. Little romance is found, but it's still present in a way. Spawning countless imitations, some being faithful (Lost), and some just shameful (see Temptation Island), Surviovr insured that it would keep afloat by having a solid episode layout, and a steady balance of romance, drama, and pain. At times, the episodes can be moody, sad, or uplifting, it depends on the participants.

Wat's most important to most TV viewers a show's schedule. Survivor has been showing up fairly often lately, a season lasting nearly 2 1/2 months, but no replays being present. Right now, OLN is replaying the first season. It's very nostalgia-inducing to watch the first few episodes all over again. Overall, Survivor will always have a place in my heart, and definitly warrents a view from anyone who loves nature, human nature, or just excellent television.
  • This show bores me!

0.1
    I have tried several times watching this show. So many people and news show on TV were all talking about it. Even my own Doctor said he loved it! I think it's mostly fake and they have carried this show on TV to long. I say it's time to get back to non-reality entertainment for a change! I like some reality shows,but they are just out of hand now!
5 6 7 8 9 10 11