Survivorman Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on OLNBetween Seasons

Are we being lied to?

Temporaryscars

[1]Aug 15, 2007
    • level: 4

As i'm sure you all know, an article came out recently detailing how Man vs. Wild was a big sham. I didn't think Les would do the same thing, but after watching the first episode in the new season, i'm not so sure.

See, on TV, they made it look like he made it to the 7th day, and then walked to his camp. But if you read his blog, you get a slightly different story.

"Day 6

As another morning dawned without a cloud to be seen, I was finally warmed by the sun after a long cold night. It really is unbelievable that a few days ago it surpassed 65¢ªC (149¢ªF) on the sand and 42¢ªC (107.6¢ªF) in the shade and it is now hitting as low as 7¢ªC (44¢ªF) at night. 36 hours without any water with the temperatures reaching in the high 30's each day and I was feeling light headed and a bit dizzy - wobbly legged and am getting a nagging headache. I suppose the lack of blood sugar isn't helping either.
    So....I got up checked my traps - nothing in the big bucket trap I set with some of the sweet smelling radiator fluid as bait - I was hoping for a rodent or two - nothing in my scorpion traps....and I had also set two traps using the radiator hoses - I caught a huge millipede - they're 8 inches long here - but you can't eat 'em - they have cyanide in their bodies. So I checked my plant solar still - and got an ounce of water - so it worked! Not much - but it was something. I then checked my urine still - and it also worked! Again, about an ounce of water.

But the day dragged on and my headache worsened. The two ounces of water and the little bit of juice from the bitter hemsbok root was not going to be enough. I had no desire to go for one more day and have the safety crew come and pick me up passed out from dehydration.

So that's it folks....a week - almost - surviving one of the most extreme climates on earth - and watching it sore to a high of 42¢ªC (107.6¢ªF) in the shade and drop to a low of 7¢ªC (44¢ªF) at night. I made it 48 hours without any real amount of water in the hottest and driest climate I have ever experienced.

Right now - I'm chillin' in a hotel in Upington South Africa, replenishing my system with water ..........and other liquids."

So he never made it to the 7th day, and he didn't walk to any camp. I know it's not a huge difference, but when it comes to a show that touts realism, I don't like being lied to, even a little. I'll still watch the show, it just wont be as fun.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

desert05

[2]Aug 16, 2007
    • level: 12
    Personally, I thought he was pretty clear on that from the tv show. I think his shows and the Man vs Wild show are two completely different projects. I don't feel Les was misrepresenting anything he did.

Temporaryscars

[3]Aug 16, 2007
    Then how do you explain the difference between his blog and the show?

supersonicfan01

[4]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 22
    Maybe the heat got to his head?

Temporaryscars

[5]Aug 18, 2007
    I'm not convinced. But i'm amazed that nobody is wondering about this.

supersonicfan01

[6]Aug 19, 2007
    • level: 22
    Well I never read his blog, so really . . .

agonizedearth

[7]Aug 24, 2007
    • level: 12
    You are reaching buddy!

Lion4Life

[8]Aug 24, 2007
    • level: 30
    Temporaryscars wrote:

TV Editors

MrShotShot

[9]Aug 25, 2007
    • level: 15

Lion4Life wrote:
    Temporaryscars wrote:
    TV Editors

Agreed. Like most shows of this type, they are challenged with cutting down hundreds of hours of footage into a 42 minute episode.

Also, for those who say that the show is fake b/c he has a survival radio with him - COME ON. No one is going to overtly risk their life for a television show. Just because he has a means to communicate if something happens, doesn't lessen the shows credibility whatsoever. What if he got sick or attacked by an animal?

Temporaryscars

[10]Aug 25, 2007
    How am I reaching? The show said he was there for 7 days, and his blog said 6. Where I come from, that's a lie. If you can run the mile in 10 minutes, and you tell everyone you do it in 9, that's a lie. How exactly can you blame that on editing or reaching? Editing doesnt excuse it, it's still lying.

MrShotShot

[11]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 15

You seem to be adamant about your point and frankly I do not recall what was said in the episode. I will find it today and rewatch it.

If, in fact, Les is shown spending an entire sixth day, a night, and waking up on the seventh before walkingout, then you have a point.

If, however, he simply walks out on the sixth - the time of which is not clear in his blog, it could have even been the evening of the sixth - and he simply says it was seven days, then you should probalby get your meds adjusted if acouple hours discrepency throws you into such a tizzy.

Temporaryscars

[12]Aug 29, 2007
    Well if you re-watch it, it shows his 6th coming to an end. It shows the night of the 6th day, and then on the 7th, he does some stuff and then decides to leave. If you read his blog, it says he left on his 6th day without the 7th even coming into play. This show lives and dies on it's realism. It's the heart of the show. So yeah, if it turns out to be fake, then the show dies, and I do tend to get a little pissed at the prospect of a favorite show being canceled.

NinganJNfan

[13]Sep 1, 2007
    • level: 6
    I don't think Les Stroud was lying. In the opening narration, he says 7 days meaning that he's trying for 7 days. Sometimes he doesn't make it and also on the 2nd day at Kalahari, I think, he says that if the heat just goes on like that, then he's goingto have to call if off.

NickBe

[14]Sep 22, 2007
    • level: 1
    Grasping at straws...

Thresher_V

[15]Sep 25, 2007
    • level: 7

Some people are just looking for reasons to tear others down. The fact is whether 6-7, he still spent time actually trying to survive in a remote and comfort-less environment. Probably longer than most of us could on our own. As far as the emergency radio goes......would you be willing to risk everything for a TV show? You don't see him calling in a pizza order or checking on his favorite teams stats.

MicViv

[16]Oct 2, 2007
    • level: 5

I really enjoy this show and I went back and watched the episode in question and it clearly shows him getting through the sixth night and leaving on the 7th morning.... but I can't find the blog in which he writes that he is leaving on the 6th day.... Temp Scars can you post the link?? I am seriously bummed if this is edited.... makes you wonder what else is not real about this show....

Temporaryscars

[17]Oct 4, 2007

http://www.lesstroudonline.com/blog/?p=12

Scroll to the bottom and look at day 6 and read it to the end. According to his blog, he ends on the 6th day.

For you lazy people:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v309/temporaryscars/?action=view¤t=Picture2.png

Still think i'm grasping at straws?

Edited on 10/04/2007 5:19am
    Edited 4 total times.

kjp0929

[18]Oct 8, 2007
    wasnt there an episode in season 1 when he was in the Arctic and he was basically "saved" by the Eskimo and he ate the Seal Eye ??

Temporaryscars

[19]Oct 9, 2007
    Boy, you people are awfuly quiet now.

ha-Y-n1

[20]Oct 9, 2007
    • level: 5
    I missed the 1st ep, so i gotta watch it and see what happens.