Survivorman Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on OLNBetween Seasons

Labrador's, are they okay?

davcuts

[1]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 4

Does anyone know what become of the dogs in the last episode of Survivorman? At the end of the show Les let the dogs go saying they would find their way back into town. Shortly after Les, and the film crew had to have a helicopter fly them out. The path to town had become so hazardous, they where unable to get back to town by themselves. If that's the case I wonder if the dogs made it back alive. I emailed the Discovery Channel asking about the dogs but got no response. I must say it upsets me. They made sure their snowmobiles went back with them, but not the dogs. Maybe I missed where the dogs had returned to town safely.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

davcuts

[2]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 4

Apparently the dogs are fine. The Discovery Channel answered my email and here's a snippet:

"Thank you so much for getting in touch with us regarding the dogs Les used in the Labrador episode of Survivorman. I understand and appreciate your concerns. But please know that Les, a dog owner himself, would never do
    anything to put the animals in jeopardy.

Losing dogs is a very real possibility to any musher, as Les pointed out in the show. He decided, long before the episode was filmed, that he would simulate this happening to show how to handle such a situation.

As a Survivorman viewer, you probably know Les is alone when he films the series and has a strict "no contact" policy with the safety crew. Therefore, he arranged with the dogs' owner a set time and location where he would let the dogs go. The dogs, having run that trail many times, knew
    exactly where they were going, and were greeted by their owner waiting for them not long after leaving Les. The plan worked perfectly and the dogs were all completely safe."

I'm glad Les had made prearrangements for the dogs. Maybe he said so on the show. All I recall him saying is the dogswould fine their way back into town. And then shortly was told there was no way back into town. I'm glad Les had the dogs safety in mind even before the show was shot.

MicViv

[3]Sep 4, 2007
    • level: 5
    Thanks for updating on this subject. I was wondering the same thing as well... It wouldn't have been difficult for Discovery Channel to put a little note at the end updating us on the dogs status.

darkklown

[4]Sep 4, 2007
    • level: 3
    I myself an animal lover wasn't too much because those dogs are trained so they could make it back no problem in fact after about a mile away from the camp at the start of the show they turned back wanting to head back home. Also i agree that the Discovery Channel should have said something about the dogs at the end.

dirtydog1992

[5]Jul 5, 2008
    • level: 5
    It wouldn't have hurt for a little side note at the end. But, it all ended out well so I have no complaints .