Survivorman Forums

Sunday 8:00 PM on OLNBetween Seasons

Starting a Fire With No Matches

ha-Y-n1

[1]Oct 30, 2006
    • level: 5

After watching the show and seeing Les start a fire with sticks, I knew I had to try it.  It looked easy enough, but damn was it hard (I guess I should say is hard)!  I tried the stick between the hand technique but got way better results with the bow technique.  I haven't created fire yet (lots of smoke but no fire), but I will eventually.

So, has anyone successfully made a fire with sticks or any other form not requiring matches?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

NinganJNfan

[2]Nov 8, 2006
    • level: 6
    I got great results with a magnifying glass, but I've been doing that since elementary school. The bow drill is cool, but the hand drill is really hard! I got smoke after ... 10 min. of strenuous spinning, and burned my finger touching it! stupid, and afterwards, I had a blister on my left palm. I tried making sparks also. Lighter is easy, rocks are easy, and battery is easy, but I only used simple AA batteries in the dark. No fire though, good smoke, I tried blowing it in my hands only once and it got too hot.

ha-Y-n1

[3]Nov 9, 2006
    • level: 5
    Cool, at least you got something. I'll keep trying.

supersonicfan01

[4]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 22
    I wish I had some wood, I want to try the bow technique.

MrShotShot

[5]Aug 25, 2007
    • level: 15
    I've done it with several of the common techniques, but it's quite difficult. I've heard survival experts say that it's one of the most difficult things for people to do - and I agree!

Minarvia

[6]Aug 30, 2007
    • level: 39
    Here another one: Rubbing the bottom of a soda/pop can with a piece of chocolate can also do it as well. But with the soda/pop can you have to get the bottom really shinny to relfect the sun's raise much like a magnifying glass. I also heard that you can do it with a piece of ice as well, but you can to cut in a lense as well, it dose work, but one has to have a huge piece of ice to do it.