Survivors

Episode 1

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 23, 2008 on BBC

• The new beginning

In the first episode we see a UK, devasted by a flu pandemic, with the subsequent breakdown of all infrastructure. Its a very chilling scenario, and it was handled excellently. I am really looking forward to following the rest of the series.

I particularly liked how the government didn't take the threat seriously enough, and when it did realise the implications it was too late to do anything. Sounds familiar!?
  • At last, a decent bit of apocalyptic drama on the BBC.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed watching Survivors' opening episode on Sunday Night. I was glad they kept plenty of mysteries to be unravelled in the future episodes and didn't wrap up everything in the first episode.

I too was a bit mystified that Freema Agyeman appeared to die half way through the first episode but we are convinced that she must have survived and is still somewhere in London. Can't wait to see whether she reappears or not.

I thought this was a very promising start to the series and hope it will be as successful as the 1970s cult version was.
  • Good start to a show that seems like it could be great but the first episode comes across as a tad confusing.

Well, it starts off slow but improves throughout.

The acting is good (especially Julie Graham's character) and all of the cast play their part well.

The story itself is a tad confusing, I understand how everyone died but those who are immune to the virus but I don't get how Julie Graham's character had the virus and seemed to die but came back to life 3 days later. Maybe it will be explained in a future episode.

Also, what happened to Freema Agyeman's character? She's been portrayed as a Star but was killed off in the first episode? That is a bad, bad PR stunt on the BBC's part. I can only hope that whatever brought Julie Graham back to life will miraculously bring Freema back too.

I also think that everyone seems to be handling the fact that everyone they know is dead, all of the amenities they are used to has gone, they have no idea how far spread the "Flu" is (Or why they are still alive) and they also have to start over from scratch. Have none of them thought about what caused the Flu? Or how they are going to restart their new life? Or, even, what they re going to do now?

I this is a lot of expectations for the first episode but it just feels like they didn't give enough information to make make viewers return for the second episode, no sense of direction. It just seems like the show is there but there is no point to it (Even though it appeared at the end that the Flu was made by the government, it still felt like there nothing else for the Survivors to accomplish or look forward to)

Anyway, watch it yourself and see if you agree because this is just my over critical opinion and you may love it. I will, however, be tuning in to episode 2 to see if there is going to be more to this somewhat bland story.

Steve P
  • Definitely got my attention.

All good so far. Not the most original opener, but still very entertaining and even though it hasn't covered any new ground just yet, it's already got me pretty invested in the series. I'm a big fan of apocalypse fiction and this pilot definitely hit all the right notes for me. There were also a lot of references to classics like "the stand" "day of the triffids" and of course the original survivors that i really dug.
    As an adaptation it's pretty faithful, however, they've made some pretty bold character changes. Greg, a skilled engineer in the original series, is now a convicted felon with a fairly troubling blood lust. The character reminded me of Lloyd from the stand, but only in terms of situation. As a character he's a lot more confident and also cold and unnerving. Max Beesely was a good casting choice. It didn't hurt the show to cast paterson joseph either. But then patersons good in everything. Heres hoping he gets the doctor who gig. I was really surprised that freema agymens character was killed off less than half way through the episode as she'd been publicized as a main character of the show. She may still be alive, but only time will tell. All the actors seem pretty capable at this stage and i have faith that they'll continue to deliver great performances.
    I liked how the narrative covered the viruses effects on a country wide scale and effectively showed societies collapse in a matter of minutes.
    Society literally collapsed overnight and yet it all seemed perfectly plausible. We also got to see members of the government react to the pandemic. I really hope they revisit those characters at some point.
    Some of the scenes of chaos and death were very effective and the closing scene definitely had me hooked. The shows writers really gave this episode a boost by introducing an element into the show that wasn't in the original survivors or day of the triffids or any other apocalypse story i can think of. They've introduced the idea that a group of individuals may have intentionally instigated the pandemic for reasons unknown. I was a little annoyed by Abbies speach near the end. It sounded a little bit too much like "live together die alone", but it still captured the truth of the situation and showed how important it would be to join forces when faced with such an uncertain future. Not a lot of character development so far, but its just the pilot so i can't complain. All the right elements are there and the shows cast and crew have demonstrated that they are perfectly capable of giving us a good show. Can't wait for the next episode, which as luck would have it is only a day away.
  • OK re-make for 21st century audience

I was a big fan of the original series written by Terry Nation, so I tuned in with mixed feelings for this new version. The plot is pretty well unchanged, with some changes in the detail of the characters. Abby's motivation remains the same -- to find her son Peter, who she desperately hopes is still alive somewhere. After a gloomy noir-ish series of sequences leading up to the death of 90% of humanity, the story steps up a notch. Very much in the style of John Wyndham, we follow the handful of survivors as they meet and begin to understand that they need to stay together. The finale, however, will make old-time fans sigh. We can see a lot of new plot elements foreshadowed that will change the direction of the story -- and not necessarily for the better.
  • A current day civilization gets caught in the throws of a pandemic flu. The pandemic reaches a point of no return and all but one percent of the population seems to survive. Some severely ill recover and some never get sick. Survivors band together.

What a wonderful start to this show. We've seem other apocalyptic stories in the past, but this really seems to hit home. The illness seems to hit like the flu so very few people are out and about. People seem to survive long enough to either get to the hospital or stay in at home. So few people are well that I think most that survive initially go into shock.

The doctors friend may be alive. She had the same symptoms as the woman with the son Peter. The lump under the arm pit and the high fever. I'm not sure that is the identical symptoms everyone had as they never discuss the specifics.

Very realistically state services like electricity and other public systems start to fail. In the end everything is broken down and there are too few people to keep things running. The real scare would be the danger from other illness as the bodies of the dead are not disposed of properly.

The story itself shows how different life will be and the fact that people really will be in a position to have to start there lives over. It seems like there are some people with realistic viewpoints and then some dreamers with no concept of what they are really up against. The two men that pointed out it was going to be hard work were really spot on.

The current cast is very generic in a way. Except for the convict we really have no idea of what these people are all about. It will be fun to see where they take this.

A very well done apocalyptic tale with a great start. Hopefully it will continue to be well done on a production, acting, and story basis. Thanks for reading...