Why did the show got cancelled?

Kingcool7789

[21]Feb 24, 2007
    • level: 39
    lightning_kf wrote:

I am too. Cartoons of the 80s and 90s were the greatest era of animation ever. Now they're being killed by Cartoon Network and all greedy executives for other shows like.....

• Puffy AmiYumi (was okay but it got dull)
    • Winx Club (don't get me started)
    • My Partner's a Gym Monkey (just the name is enough for me)
    Totally agree with you My Gym Teacher is a monkey the name does say it all!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MacGyvrGenius

[22]Mar 30, 2007
    • level: 6
    I too beleive that they cut it off way too soon, and I hope it will have a great comeback.

timidwolfchild

[23]Apr 30, 2007
    • level: 5
    MacGyvrGenius wrote:
    I have a feeling tho' that we may have to see how well the show 'Loonatics Unleashed' plays out before they consider the idea of more anthropomorhic animal heroes for kids' TV any time soon. Yvon and Christian Tremblay (was that their names?), who created the Swat Kats i believe, is working on Loonatics now, so hopefully their character designs are well-received.

loonatics unleahsed is a great show, it may be a long time before it is finished. i like swat kats as well, just started watching it yesterday on youtube but got hooked right away, and by hooked i mean fell in love with one of the charecters.

elpaquilloloco

[24]May 1, 2007
    • level: 27
    timidwolfchild wrote:
    MacGyvrGenius wrote:
    I have a feeling tho' that we may have to see how well the show 'Loonatics Unleashed' plays out before they consider the idea of more anthropomorhic animal heroes for kids' TV any time soon. Yvon and Christian Tremblay (was that their names?), who created the Swat Kats i believe, is working on Loonatics now, so hopefully their character designs are well-received.
    loonatics unleahsed is a great show, it may be a long time before it is finished. i like swat kats as well, just started watching it yesterday on youtube but got hooked right away, and by hooked i mean fell in love with one of the charecters.
    Which character??

timidwolfchild

[25]May 2, 2007
    razor, he is just so hot in my standards. most of my friends find me strange for this but hey it is what i am.

lightning_kf

[26]May 4, 2007
    • level: 36
    timidwolfchild wrote:
    razor, he is just so hot in my standards. most of my friends find me strange for this but hey it is what i am.
    I'm gonna guess that you are a gal, right? 

elpaquilloloco

[27]May 4, 2007
    • level: 27

lightning_kf wrote:
    timidwolfchild wrote:
    I'm gonna guess that you are a gal, right? 
    I guess she is. Anyway, I always identified the most with him.

timidwolfchild

[28]May 5, 2007
    yep i am agirl, i think. let me check. yep i am.

lightning_kf

[29]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 36

timidwolfchild wrote:
    yep i am agirl, i think. let me check. yep i am.

We get the point now

callie665573

[30]Apr 20, 2008
    • level: 30
    I agree with what everyone's saying Swat Kats was the best action series I've seen from Hanna-Barbera Productions. Dumb Ted Turner I want to klick his rich butt to where the sun dosn't shine and get the Swat Kats back on the air!

CarrieWhitaker

[31]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 1

Best ACTION cartoon HB ever had? Try best OVERALL cartoon they ever had. It was far superior in animation, characterization (Razor's Edge in particular!), writing quality, and overall cool factor, compared with ANY other HB show.

They REALLY need to work through Loonatics Unleashed and push to get the Swat Kats back on the air again. with Time-Warner involved to get around Turner influence, and all the shows SINCE then which have been at least as 'violent' as the complained about SKs, and ESPECIALLY considering how well the show well the show actually DID during its run, it should be a complete NO BRAINER to put it back on. The ratings soared then, they'll soar again now. Just have to promote it the way it was. Fast jet, cool weapons, awesome motorcycles, neat villians... This show had it all.

callie665573

[32]Aug 12, 2008
    CarrieWhitaker wrote:

Best ACTION cartoon HB ever had? Try best OVERALL cartoon they ever had. It was far superior in animation, characterization (Razor's Edge in particular!), writing quality, and overall cool factor, compared with ANY other HB show.

They REALLY need to work through Loonatics Unleashed and push to get the Swat Kats back on the air again. with Time-Warner involved to get around Turner influence, and all the shows SINCE then which have been at least as 'violent' as the complained about SKs, and ESPECIALLY considering how well the show well the show actually DID during its run, it should be a complete NO BRAINER to put it back on. The ratings soared then, they'll soar again now. Just have to promote it the way it was. Fast jet, cool weapons, awesome motorcycles, neat villians... This show had it all.

Exactlly, the Swat Kats was an aweasome show and ratings were really good as far as I've heard and the show still has a fairly large fanbase. The only reason it was taken off was because of the so called 'violence'. Okay there was a little bit of violence but not enough to provoke kids to do anything stupid. The show was the best Hanna-Barbera cartoon ever but now cool shows are being replaced by crap like My Gym Partner's a Monkey they really need to bring back Swat Kats or some more stuff like it.

captaintombatch

[33]Nov 10, 2008
    • level: 32
    [/QUOTE] Exactly, the Swat Kats was an awesome show and ratings were really good as far as I've heard and the show still has a fairly large fanbase. The only reason it was taken off was because of the so called 'violence'. Okay there was a little bit of violence but not enough to provoke kids to do anything stupid. The show was the best Hanna-Barbera cartoon ever but now cool shows are being replaced by crap like My Gym Partner's a Monkey they really need to bring back Swat Kats or some more stuff like it.[/QUOTE] I'm with you. callie665573. Swat Kats was one of the best action shows on TV. Do you or anyone have any information whether or not this series was released on DVD or Blu-Ray yet?
    Edited on 11/10/2008 4:01pm

callie665573

[34]Nov 26, 2008
    captaintombatch wrote:
    Exactly, the Swat Kats was an awesome show and ratings were really good as far as I've heard and the show still has a fairly large fanbase. The only reason it was taken off was because of the so called 'violence'. Okay there was a little bit of violence but not enough to provoke kids to do anything stupid. The show was the best Hanna-Barbera cartoon ever but now cool shows are being replaced by crap like My Gym Partner's a Monkey they really need to bring back Swat Kats or some more stuff like it.[/QUOTE] I'm with you. callie665573. Swat Kats was one of the best action shows on TV. Do you or anyone have any information whether or not this series was released on DVD or Blu-Ray yet?[/QUOTE] Sorry dude but I know the series hasn't been released on DVD or Blu-Ray but we can always hope it'll be in the future.

CarrieWhitaker

[35]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 1

callie665573 wrote:
    captaintombatch wrote:
    Exactly, the Swat Kats was an awesome show and ratings were really good as far as I've heard and the show still has a fairly large fanbase. The only reason it was taken off was because of the so called 'violence'. Okay there was a little bit of violence but not enough to provoke kids to do anything stupid. The show was the best Hanna-Barbera cartoon ever but now cool shows are being replaced by crap like My Gym Partner's a Monkey they really need to bring back Swat Kats or some more stuff like it.
    I'm with you. callie665573. Swat Kats was one of the best action shows on TV. Do you or anyone have any information whether or not this series was released on DVD or Blu-Ray yet?

I'd hope there'd be a push to get it onto DVD or something. Unless one of the enemies of the show is still around at HB/Warner/Turner to try keeping it from doing so. It would be easy to point to someone trying to stuff a DVD release of the show, simply because the sales numbers would make it glaring that the show shouldn't have been cancelled. Again.

DVD sales would be by far the quickest way to get SK back on the air, it would hardly even stay on the shelves if they put out a DVD of it. I'd certainly buy a copy or three. I'd give them as presents to people who either like the show, or who I know would like the show.

captaintombatch

[36]Jan 31, 2009
    I still have not heard anything about Swat Kats coming on DVD or Blu-Ray, but once it does or I hear something I think these forums will become active again.

Black_Oracle

[37]Feb 25, 2009

Found this recent email interview with Swat Kats writer Lance Falk over on the Swat Kats encyclopedia website for anyone interested: http://www.swatkats.info/swatkats/ver3/exclusives/display.php?subaction=showfull&id=1232348173&archive=&start_from=&ucat=32,77&

Quoted from the interview article:

"Q: Do you know the precise reason why SWAT Kats was cancelled? (Low ratings, administrative decision, failure to move merchandise, too violent, something else?) Also, when a show is cancelled, how are you informed and what happens to the writers and production staff afterward?

A: The way I heard it was that Ted Turner himself simply thought the show was too violent for kids, so it was downplayed to fail. Buried on early Sunday Mornings (a ratings death slot for this kind of show), no decent merchandise to speak of (though it would have been a toy company's dream). I'm surprised we got to do a second year. I know in my heart if we had a juicy afternoon spot, opposite TMNT or an anime import, we would have kicked ass.

Sadly, we were never given the opportunity. How are we told? We wait for word every season...then it's announced in the trades. "Swat Kats will not be returning for a Third Season". Because there's always a gap between finishing a season and starting another, we tend to hustle for that next show as soon as we're done because it's never wise to wait until you hear. By then, all the spots around town are full. Some times you are not available to return. Especially if a longer gig presents itself in the meanwhile. That's why the credits change a bit every season for every show. It's just the way this industry is.

Q: In today's animation industry, how likely is it that a show like SWAT Kats could ever be revived, rebooted, or revisited in some manner, either through a new show, a DVD release or even a parody on something like Seth Green's Robot Chicken?

A: You'll have to ask Seth about Robot Chicken. He's certainly the right age to have been a fan. DVD releases are probably an inevitability at some point in the years to come, though WAY down the list (No. Nothing has been announced yet.) The odds of NEW Swat Kats? Zero to Less than Zero. Every year, it gets less likely too. Even if it did, I doubt you'd see any of the original creative team since we've all moved on to other projects and companies. Hanna-Barbera doesn't even exist anymore.

Cartoon Network does their own original creations and Warner Bros pretty much only does one Scooby and one DC comics DVD per year. Swat Kats would be WAY down the list of HB properties they'd invest in. It only has a small cult following, no real public recognition factor, and a failed history in it's time. I HATE to describe the show like that because I'm extremely proud of our work on it. She deserved better."

Oh dear, from Mr. Falk's view, it seems SK is destined to remain a thing of the past. Real shame the show wasn't given the chance it deserved.

tman7776

[38]Mar 11, 2009

lightning_kf wrote:
    elpaquilloloco wrote:
    lightning_kf wrote:
    I told you the best shows on TV are being cancelled by greedy executives. Did I not?
    Yes, you did. Those bastards!!

Oh. Just wanted to be sure.

Yeah, and what we left with?

A dumb show about a kid who wants to be a sailor (Flapjack)

A remake of an old cartoon that didn't last 3 seasons (George of the Jungle)

Cancelled syndicated shows (Mucha Lucha, Johnny Test, etc.)

A show about a boy who owns a pet squirrel (Squirrel Boy)

Robot Boy: Every DANG episode is the same DANG plot!!!! 1. Kamikaze lures everyone into a trap. 2. tries to capture Robot Boy 3. fails and attacks with a mutant army 4. Robot Boy Super Tranforms and defeats the army EVERY DANG TIME!!!!!!!! NO ORGINALITY!!! That would work in anime, but not here!

There is a good show, Naruto: Oh, wait. CN isn't airing it anymore!!!! They decided to air crap shows and lose millions of viewers instead of air the sequel show (Naruto Shippuden)

tman7776

[39]Mar 11, 2009

maybe there is a way

maybe someday...

WB VS CAPCOM!!!!!!!!! (razor and T. Bone both playable characters) HYPER COMBO FINISH!!!!!! KO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

captaintombatch

[40]Mar 16, 2009
    I would love to see the Swat Kats in Mortal Kombat. That would be supercool to fight as Dark Kat.