Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron

Volcanus Erupts! / The Origin of Dr. Viper

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Nov 26, 1994 on

• The Swat Kats must fight an enormous lava monster that is heading for MegaKat City, and we get to know Dr.Vipers origin.

The first episode was great, and lasted 10 minutes. Just perfectly timed since the villain and the situations are nothing special, really. I would give "Volcanus Erupts!" 8 out of 10. Then there is one episode i was dying to see: "The Origin of Dr.Viper". The episode starts off great, and we get to see Elrod Purvis who gets mutated into Dr.Viper. I was hoping that this episode would explain everything about Dr.Viper. Why he cares so much about plants, and why he wants to mutate the Mayor and Callie? I was really hoping this episode would help define his personality and let us under his skin. Unfortunately, we only see him as a greedy scientist in the first half. And after the accident we don't get to know much more about him. Oh yeah, he calls himself Dr.Viper because it was the name of the chemical that mutated him. I wanted a really good origin story on the heights of "Batman". An origin episode is supposed to explain almost everything about a character, not letting us guessing trough the entire episode. It feels rushed, since it only lasts about 11 minutes. This should have been a regular 20 minutes episode, or heck, a two-parter. This is the most disappointing Swat Kats episode i have seen, and should have delivered more than it did. I would rate it 5 out of 10, and i'm being very generous.