Swingtown Forums

CBS (ended 2008)

Laurie and the teacher

GiverSSJ

[1]Jun 13, 2008
    • level: 13

Do you think something willl happen between Laurie and her summer teacher? I have a feeling she has a crush on him since he seems "more cultured" and seems to like the arts like he does.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bonjovichick

[2]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 16
    GiverSSJ wrote:

Do you think something willl happen between Laurie and her summer teacher? I have a feeling she has a crush on him since he seems "more cultured" and seems to like the arts like he does.

i think they are writing that too obvious which disappoints me. pretty decent writing but you could see that aspect coming from their first scence together.

HRGirl

[3]Jun 16, 2008
    • level: 9
    I definitely think something will happen... I have to agree that it seems too obvious as well. I wonder if it will happen during or after their summer course??

katsmeow221

[4]Jun 18, 2008
    • level: 4
    Unfortunately I do think something will eventually happen. I think that they will drag it out for a while, but yeah, it's inevitable. I wish it wouldn't. He's her teacher, and that's pushing the limits regardless of what the show is about.

GiverSSJ

[5]Jun 19, 2008
    katsmeow221 wrote:
    Unfortunately I do think something will eventually happen. I think that they will drag it out for a while, but yeah, it's inevitable. I wish it wouldn't. He's her teacher, and that's pushing the limits regardless of what the show is about.

But historically,wasn't the 1970s at the high of the sexual revolution? It was about "experimenting" as showing one woman taking coke in one episode. Couldn't May-December relationships be considered a sort of experimenting?

chaosrainz

[6]Jun 20, 2008
    • level: 17
    GiverSSJ wrote:
    katsmeow221 wrote:

But historically,wasn't the 1970s at the high of the sexual revolution? It was about "experimenting" as showing one woman taking coke in one episode. Couldn't May-December relationships be considered a sort of experimenting?

I don't think it's the May-December thing that people might object to.
    The point is it's unethical and possibly illegal.
    He's her TEACHER.
    Much as it's on the news nowadays, it's actually not okay no matter how often it happens in real life.
    College, maybe...although that's still unethical if the student is in that professor's course, but high school and god forbid, middle school.... It's just not appropriate.

Speaking of May-December, anybody wondered if the son might wind up getting it on with the drunk lady next door? That would really complicate his budding friendship with Samantha.

bonjovichick

[7]Jun 23, 2008

chaosrainz wrote:
    GiverSSJ wrote:
    katsmeow221 wrote:
    I don't think it's the May-December thing that people might object to. The point is it's unethical and possibly illegal. He's her TEACHER. Much as it's on the news nowadays, it's actually not okay no matter how often it happens in real life. College, maybe...although that's still unethical if the student is in that professor's course, but high school and god forbid, middle school.... It's just not appropriate. Speaking of May-December, anybody wondered if the son might wind up getting it on with the drunk lady next door? That would really complicate his budding friendship with Samantha.

I would never call the teacher thing a May December romance because he isn't that old. It is wrong because he is her teacher and she is underage... even back then when it didn't seem to be happening as much or if it was didn't come out as much. To call it a May December though ages the teacher just a little too much. Harold and Maude... May December not these two.

chaosrainz

[8]Jun 23, 2008
    bonjovichick wrote:

chaosrainz wrote:
    GiverSSJ wrote:
    katsmeow221 wrote:
    I don't think it's the May-December thing that people might object to. The point is it's unethical and possibly illegal. He's her TEACHER. Much as it's on the news nowadays, it's actually not okay no matter how often it happens in real life. College, maybe...although that's still unethical if the student is in that professor's course, but high school and god forbid, middle school.... It's just not appropriate. Speaking of May-December, anybody wondered if the son might wind up getting it on with the drunk lady next door? That would really complicate his budding friendship with Samantha.

I would never call the teacher thing a May December romance because he isn't that old. It is wrong because he is her teacher and she is underage... even back then when it didn't seem to be happening as much or if it was didn't come out as much. To call it a May December though ages the teacher just a little too much. Harold and Maude... May December not these two.

Harold and Maude was more like May and then June of the FOLLOWING year! lol
    Good movie.

And you're right, I used the May-December language because others had too but the guy is really close to her age. It's just that he's her teacher that makes it inappropriate.

GiverSSJ

[9]Jun 23, 2008
    bonjovichick wrote:

chaosrainz wrote:
    GiverSSJ wrote:
    katsmeow221 wrote:

What is Laurie's exact age in the show?

count-chocula

[10]Jun 24, 2008
    • level: 47
    Not gonna bother quoting as it's getting ridiculous! Wasn't it said in the pilot that she was 17 (or 19?). Something like that!

JalineTV

[11]Jun 27, 2008
    • level: 18

I know she's underage, but to be extra safe, I think he should have mentioned something about dating her after the two weeks are over. So that, technically, he wouldn't be her teacher anymore. It's still wrong, but he's not that much older than her. Otherwise, he could've said something about dating her once she's of age (which is not as realistic, but still an idea). She's very mature for her age, but obviously that doesn't mean anything when it comes to law. I'm not sure about the laws surrounding this issue around that time. It seemed like the teacher was more against the relationship for ethical reasons compared to legal reasons, but perhaps I am wrong. It's just weird to me that he didn't say WHY it was wrong. He knows probably knows that she knows why it's wrong, but I still thought he'd be more detailed about the situation.

The teacher risked too much by staying at her house after he already mentioned that he didn't want their relationship to continue in the way that it was. He obviously wasn't REALLY interested in leaving her, otherwise that movie wouldn't have so easily distracted him.

Edited on 06/27/2008 3:47pm

GiverSSJ

[12]Jun 27, 2008
    Maybe he'll get "loose" like Janet did in the last episode later in the series. I think he digs her, but since he's her teacher, it goes into an issue of ethnics. He let her hold his hand so I know he digs her.

SlidingKat

[13]Jul 11, 2008
    • level: 5
    I remember these things being quite prominent in the 70s. Statutarory rape was a slap on the wrist not the felony and branded for life that it is now. It wasn't until the early 90s with the Mary L thing that the laws were changed to include reference to supervisory qualifications.

Given he is only a high school summer school teacher I'm betting their age is within 5 years and not a big legal issue.

shoegal83

[14]Jul 12, 2008
    i think she is 16.

rslade70

[15]Jul 18, 2008
    • level: 8

Today in Massachusetts it would not be Statutarory rape if she is 16 or over. In Massachusetts any boy/girl 16 or over is considered a adult for having sex. 15 year old with a 16 year old boy.....statutarory rape. But a 16 year old with a 40 year old man is considered legal. (now for the teacher issue....that you would get fired for).

shoegal83

[16]Jul 20, 2008
    i don't think doug is that old; from the last episode, he must have just graduated college, so i'm guessing about 23 or 24.

GODHOOD

[17]Jul 20, 2008
    Honestly I just don't see anything wrong with this relationship, not even the age difference. She looks 17 he looks 23, and they have a lot in common. Laure's teacher did wait until he was finished with that summer teaching job to date so it's not like he's a predator or something. Hell Laure practically through herself at him with a kiss, and then wanted to go to his apartment for some sex, another man wouldn't have been so strong.

HRGirl

[18]Jul 27, 2008
    GODHOOD wrote:
    Honestly I just don't see anything wrong with this relationship, not even the age difference. She looks 17 he looks 23, and they have a lot in common. Laure's teacher did wait until he was finished with that summer teaching job to date so it's not like he's a predator or something. Hell Laure practically through herself at him with a kiss, and then wanted to go to his apartment for some sex, another man wouldn't have been so strong.

I agree. She definitely made the moves in this relationship. I do not see a problem with their age difference. They make a cute couple. I do not think that Susan was that pleased to see them together though!

bonjovichick

[19]Jul 27, 2008

Now that he isn't her teacher it is completly different. Still don't know how many people would want a 23-24 year old guy who use to be your daughter's teacher dating you daughter but it is a different thing now that he isn't in a position of power over her. Even if she was 18 it would be wrong in my book if he was actively her teacher.

moluvr65

[20]Jul 27, 2008
    I don't think its a big deal, but then again I came from a school, where this one student ended up dating and then marrying this guy, who just happened to have been her instructor in HS.