A Switched At Birth Community
Monday 8:00 PM on Freeform

ABC Family fans received some good news and some bad news on Wednesday. The network announced that it has renewed Switched at Birth for a fourth season, but not will be moving forward with a second season of mystery drama Twisted.

Switched at Birth, which wraps its third season on Monday, August 18, has been a solid performer for ABC Family since its 2011 debut and drew 1.06 million viewers for its most recent new episode. The drama has won a Peabody Award and a Television Critics Association Award, in addition to earning recognition for its portrayal of the deaf community and its heavy integration of sign language.

Twisted centered on a 16-year-old boy who was determined to clear his name when he was accused of killing a classmate five years after being charged with killing his aunt. The series officially debuted in June 2013 and opened to 1.61 million viewers, which led ABC Family to order the second half of Season 1. However, the season finale drew just 770,000 viewers in April.

Twisted starred Avan Jogia, who was cast earlier this month to play King Tut in Spike TV's upcoming series about the ancient ruler.

Are you glad Switched at Birth is coming back? Will you miss Twisted?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 10/26/2015

Season 4 : Episode 20

40 Comments
Comments (40)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
i'm upset. they should at least do this by netflix
Flag
I am so happy that Switched at Birth is comming back I dont know what I would do with out it.
Flag
I was thinking the exact same thing
Flag
Switched at birth has so many elements, I can watch it for DAYS on in. I just adore the deaf community and I've actually taken the opportunity to learn some basic signing! That family show is just a breath of fresh air for me. Please figure out what to do with the characters as they go off to college! I'm just dying to see the cast in action again! 😍
Flag
Twisted was an Okay show but there really was not plot and the mystery was weak.
I'm kind of pleasantly surprised SaB was renewed. I like watching the show but I felt like people were getting tired of it. Also, with everyone going to college I don't see how there going to continue it but, I trust Lizzy Weiss knows what she is doing.
Flag
Can we get Bunheads back now?
Flag
Did Yoda write this? "but not will be moving forward" ;)
Flag
SaB is enjoyable enough. It's my show to watch while ironing (except the subtitles are a bit problematic and I never do enough ironing because of them). I'm glad it's renewed (though it's clear they're at a loss what else to do with the characters sometimes).
Flag
First time I ever wanted to laugh at a show for getting cancelled. I don't think fans could have done anything more to keep this from happening.

I don't know how many Jo fans they thought they had, but we tried to warn them that Jo was basically the worst female character ever created and that if they kept sticking her down our throats they'd trigger a gag reflex.

It wasn't even like a secret campaign. We were all, "dudes, we're gonna stop watching if you keep doing this shit"

There were warning shots.

But they kept going with the insipid hashtags, and Jo's narcissistic loser drama and they got their ass cancelled.

LOL

Flag
SAB isn't the greatest but it has really awesome elements that keep me coming back. I love The Fosters but it needs more Connor + Jude. I enjoy Chasing Life, especially with the blasé way they're handling the bisexuality subplot. Young & Hungry and Mystery Girls are stupid but they're entertaining enough for summer sitcoms.
Flag
I'll miss Avan Jogia's hair.....
Flag
Such lovely hair...
Flag
Watch Finding Carter on MTV. The character of Max has lovely hair, he is not as mysterious looking but he's cute as a button!
Flag
That little girl is so annoying. I would have sent her back if she came in my house with that crap as if I did something wrong to her. She should feel cheated and betrayed by her "mom"/kidnapper. I was trying to wait until she came to her senses but, they lost me since she never did. She's so far annoying I can't stomach another episode.
Flag
Its actually on my to read list. Thnx!!
Flag
Really glad Switched at Birth got renewed.
Love the show!
Flag
Now, if they would only cancel that garbage "The Fosters", we'd be making progress. And bring back BUNHEADS!!!!
Flag
The Fosters isn't trash. It brings up so many topics that families deal with today. Being adopted myself I watch the show because I know what its like for Callie, Jude Mariana and Jesus.
Flag
It's another hyper-sexed teenager show on ABC "Family". It is trash.
Flag
You obviously don't watch the show. The point of it is to raise awarness about social issues.
Flag
I've watched enough to come to a rational conclusion based on my opinion in what social issues should be discouraged, like hyper-sexed teenage promiscuity.
Flag
cancelling Bunheads was just plain wrong. I was so looking forward to seeing how they worked in more Gilmore Girls people! :)
Flag
The fact that they cancelled Bunheads was such a tragedy. That show was great.
Flag
Hmm...too bad about Twisted, but I just couldn't stand one of the leads so I guess I wont be missing it that much. I'll definitely check out Avan Jogia's new show. So happy about Switched!
Flag
I'll bet that person you couldn't stand was Jo
Flag
LOL. You would win that bet.
Flag
I'm glad Switched at Birth will be back, though not surprised. However, I'm enjoying Chasing Life more than Switched at Birth. I gave up on Twisted after the demise of Danny's dad.
Flag
It's hard to say I'm surprised they cancelled Twisted, I mean they did give its time slot to Chasing Life, and since that is doing just as well as Twisted, and has decent critical acclaim I never expected to see Twisted again, and frankly I never liked the show.

Happy for SaB fans, never really got into the show, but have considered it every now and again. The only shows I watch on ABC family are The Fosters, Chasing Life, and PLL on the occasion so as long as they stick around I'm pleased.
Flag
I never finished Twisted. After the mid-break, ABC Family decided not to let Hulu users, even those with Plus, to watch unless you had a cable account. I have Comcast, but they are not one of the cable companies they allow even though Hulu is partnered with Comcast/NBC. Even Comcast's On Demand was apparently not allowed to air the HD episodes. You could only watch the standard, square picture version. It took me a short while to discover I probably could have watched it on Comcast's Xfinity site, but my initial trial of that site some time back was not a good one and I didn't think anything changed, but it's pretty fine now, but not without issues.

Switched at Birth is a show I want to really like, and do, but they ruined Daphne by writing her all over the place, for starters, and I don't think they should have united the families and kept them on opposite sides of the tracks. Some are thinking the next season will be the last due to lowered ratings, and if so, I hope it finally focuses the characters better and gets off the "what stupid things shall we do with them this season" track. It's funny that a show involving deaf characters actually seems to lack a grand vision in what to do with them and how to get them there.
More+
Flag
A little bummed about Twisted, but it really went downhill after the midseason break. I can understand why it heamhorraged viewers at the end.
Flag
If I remember correctly it lost PLL as a lead in for at least its finale, and that probably proved to ABC family that it could hold an audience on its own and wasn't worth keeping.
Flag
Excellent news for Switched at Birth! A truly great show and fully deserves to be renewed!
Flag
the only current shows I'd miss on ABC Family are the comedies (excluding Mystery Girls)... and to be totally honest, I would probably be fine if they weren't around anymore either.

but that's nice for SAB fans, and sucks for fans of Twisted.

Flag
Thanks Lacey fans, all of the hatred you had on social media has clearly gotten Twisted cancelled. Retards.......
Flag
Master Retard,

The show went to shit. Acknowledge it. If a show is shit from the start, people with stick with it because they went in accepting this shittiness, but when a show starts off alright and then plummets into the shit, people get pissed and start Twitter campaigns and ratings dry up.

If it had 2 or 3 good seasons behind it, then fans will put up with a stretch of shittiness, but Twisted was in failure territory early it's first midseason.

It's not just Lacey fans. It's all the fans with a brain.

Flag
Someone must not be able to read that well. Specifically the. "770,000 views for the finale" part. Shitty ratings got the show cancelled, not like it was that good when it came back anyway lmao nice try though ;)
Flag
Like ABC Family are gonna actually announce that Twitter got the show cancelled you buffoon, the ratings weren't great but seeing #CancelTwisted trending was hardly gonna help the situation was it?
It wasn't as good when it came back after it's break, but it was still good. you're just butthurt that your precious Lacey got relegated to lesbian subplots and pathetic shipping excuses. i cared about the characters' fates and the (sometimes convoluted) plot. Not who ended with whom like some idiots who watch teen shows do. It deserved a shortened 2nd season to tie up the loose ends.

And Switched At Birth might be doing better than Twisted, but not by much.

Ravenswood done better than Switched At Birth and that got canned. The least they can do is renew one of those two shows

I just hate the TV business because of how messed up the ratings system is. They should take into account DVDR's and stuff like that. 2014 and they are still basing it on a flawed ratings system
Flag
I was fine with Jo (far from my favorite character but still) but the plot became far too convoluted once 1B started and the series lost it's main driving point for me revealing whether or not Danny was really a sociopath or not. Had that continued to be the overall selling point for the show I would care if it got cancelled and would have watched more than 3 episodes of 1B. The show lost the uniqueness it had once 1B came back, and the audience went with it. Plain and simple
Flag
Ravenswood nor Twisted did better than Switched especially in the all important female demos.Plus,Both Twisted & Ravenswood lost a lot of viewers during thier run and lost of PLLs viewers while Switched is close to Fosters in demo..ABCFamily does take account DVr I think,more than most other networks.Networks base renewals /cancellations on Neilson ratings cause that's what advertisers want and networks get most of thier money from ad revunue
Flag
Or it's not watched enough to justify renewing it...
Flag
Follow this Show
Members