Switched At Birth Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on ABC FamilyBetween Seasons

Regina

KasenStuff

[1]Feb 8, 2013
    • level: 5

WHAT is with Regina's hand? It's obvious it has to do with the actress, not the character. What happened, anyone know?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LauraCraycraf

[2]Feb 27, 2013
    • level: 1

It was never shown on the show what Regina did, just an accident. More than likely, Constance sprained her wrist IRL and had to written in and an interesting storyline happened. I have found any articles or interviews proving my theory though.

LauraCraycraf

[3]Feb 27, 2013
    • level: 1

haven't*** found any articles or interviews

Nerdnot

[4]Apr 1, 2013
    • level: 14
    KasenStuff wrote:

WHAT is with Regina's hand? It's obvious it has to do with the actress, not the character. What happened, anyone know?

I totally agree. I think the actor just got sick for signing and forced the produces to make up some silly little thing so she wouldn't have to do it again.

SandraCardoso0

[5]Jul 22, 2013
    • level: 2

This is what Constance Marie said on an interview: "If you learn sign language as a student in school, you have no stress. But if you learn it later, as an adult, you have a 40% chance of getting arthritis. And I got tendonitis because I wasn't learning like a regular person. I had to learn complete scenes in sign in a couple of days, and shoot for four hours straight. Even interpreters get breaks every twenty minutes. But it was just me, signing over and over and over again."

Eventually, doctors put Constance in special arm restraints that limited her ability to gesture and sign. It was a painful time for her, both literally and figuratively. At home, her two-year-old daughter would ask, "Is this the boo-boo hand? Can I hold it?" On set, the writers began to work her injury into the second-season Switched at Birth scripts. "It's a wonderful story line for the deaf," she says now. "Every parent suffers separation when a teenager pulls away, and we have that happening with the ASL, too, because Regina's injured, and she can't communicate with her daughter And the thing is, Regina promised that she would never leave Daphne alone in the hearing world ever but because of the injury, she had to." Constance actually had to pause when she told us the story. "It'll make me cry," she said. "The sad statistic is that 70% of parents of deaf kids don't learn sign language. But I just couldn't do it anymore. I couldn't turn doorknobs, start my car, do my hair. It's slowly getting better, but with tendonitis you have to stop everything; I even have to wear the appliance when I sleep. But right now, it's awesome for the story line, and we're going with that."