Tabitha

ABC (ended 1978)

Tabitha Fan Reviews (5)

7.1
  • A Classic That They Should Have Stuck With.

Anybody remember an opening where there was a story about a photo album bunch of animated kid's drawings but can't remember where it came from? It came from this show.

It was on for a few years, but only produced a little more than dozen episodes, and the people should stuck with it as long as they produced Bewitched.

Just like Bewitched, this show is certainly a classic, and should have stayed on longer.

This show is a spin-off of Bewitched, and I thought it aired at least a decade from Bewitched, since they were little kids then, but it actually aired only four years later.
  • Good show, but needed to be kept within the world of "Bewitched."

Good show, but it needed to keep with the world created by "Bewitched." Being that Tabitha was Samantha's daughter, certain things need to be done with the show to keep the way magic was understood similar to how Tabitha and Adam would have been brought up as children in "Bewitched." For instance, the motions for how magic was used could have been more diverse, and the way spells were cast needed work. Also, in the first episode, Adam seemed to fear magic like Darrin did, but Adam would have grown up with it, so the spells shouldn't have scared him so much. In the first episode, Tabitha is refered to as the "kid sister," when she is actually older. They should have explained Aunt Minerva's relation a little more. Oh, and by the second half of the season/series, Adam seemed to be non-existant.

On a positive note, it was great that they brought back stars from "Bewitched," and that they made reference to Tabitha and Adam's childhood.
  • Tabitha and Adam Stephens work for a Los Angeles television station. A very good spin-off from Bewtiched. Even if it is "out of chronological time of the series!

The producers of this show realized quickly that they had made a mistake by trying to copy "Bewitched". Adam was made mortal, (if you remember, Adam had powers in Season 8 of "Bewitched"), and opposed to Tabitha using her powers. Then adding a character, Aunt Minerva, who tried to be Adam's "Endora". (Aunt Minerva was NEVER a character in "Bewitched") This did not work well, so as the series contiued in its 12 episode run, more characters from the orginal Bewitched series made appearances. Most notably, Abner and Gladys Kravitz, (Sandra Gould and George Tobias), and Dr. Bombay, (Bernard Fox). These appearances gave the show a much needed shot in the arm.

Too bad it only lasted one season. I would love to have seen Tabitha's relationship progress with Paul, (played by Robert Urich). This is truly a classic show that deserved a longer life!
  • Interesting but Limited Effort to Bring Back Bewitched

I can't understand why shows like "Sabrina," "Out of This World" and "That's So Raven" can be hits with huge fan bases while "Tabitha" just seems to sit barely noticed in the corner. Lisa Hartman, later of "Knot's Landing," was a cute and sexy Tabitha even if the real Tabitha Erin Murphy was still a kid when this show was on. As Hartman once said, "If it hadn't been continually bumped for tv specials, it might have lasted." The problem was the show resorted to the more goofy and slapstick antics similar to "I Dream of Jeannie" and rest of the cast was just not very good; Robert Urich just couldn't do comedy very well. He was far more likeable as an action star; anyone recall "Vega$" or "Spenser For Hire?" Another thing is that there was not enough being done to connect it to "Bewitched" beyond forced cameos by the Kravitzes and Dr. Bombay. Every fan on that show can name all of Samantha's relatives, so just where did this "Aunt Minerva" come from; the actress that played her even played a witch on "Sabrina." Maybe she was a cousin like "Aunt Serena?" Another thing that affected the success of this series was that Elizabeth Montgomery had completely washed herself of her much-beloved Samantha character and decided repeatedly against playing her again. Maybe Tabitha is proof that one cannot go home again.
  • Not a classic but I liked it.

This show was a spin-off of sorts from "Bewitched", but as a 9yr old in the UK I was unaware of this. The show with it's breezy lead(an underrated Lisa Hartman)& catchy theme tune(It could be magic) made it for me(I was only 9yrs old). My memories of Tabitha were fond ones.
    Robert Urich R.I.P