Taken

Beyond the Sky

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Dec 02, 2002 on Syfy

• As a pilot episode, not the best way to start

A hugely-hyped, 20-hour miniseries, that's like an entire regular TV season, so in my view, this first episode is equal to another TV show's pilot.

What does a pilot need to do? Establish the characters, the universe, the plot. None of which, I'm afraid, "Beyond the Sky" handles very well. Many of the characters remain formulaic, as does he plot, which serves up another Roswell alien theory, but sans the mystery that characterized similar formats like The X Files. However, the scenes featuring the crashed spacecraft and the military's attempts to deal with an emerging crisis are effective, much more so than the seemingly endless parade of character exposition scenes during which, essentially, nothing happens.

You're a new TV series? You want to get my attention? You want me to stick around till the end? Then give me something to pay attention to. "Beyond the Sky" is like a date that delays making out until you lose interest. Well, everybody deserves a second chance, so I'll hope the second date with "Taken" features more action that this bloated, empty prologue.

Because it does look pretty...