Tales from the Crypt (1996)

Cutting Cards

Aired Unknown Apr 21, 1990 on HBO

• Clever, funny and somewhat perfect

This is surely one of the best episodes. Maybe the gathering of talent, with Hill, Henriksen and Tighe, made this one a winner.

It is always intriguing to see people gamble for more than just money, which is a reason why gambling movies are always so succesful, as rare as they are (see Cincinatti Kid, The Hustler, The Color of Money, Rounders). Here the concept is taken to its full extent as gambling is simply everything the two characters can do. It is not about money and it is not even about winning. It is all about playing the game, taking the risk and going for it all the way.

What makes it really work is the fact that those two guys could actually be friends. They know each other better than anyone else does and have got along for years. And when some poor guy interrupts their game of russian roulette, they team up to scare him away and it becomes very clear that the two are as much alike as two people can be.

But they are way too much into the gambling to realize any of this, even the signs of fate try to show them that they are bound to be together. The dice and the gun won\'t bend to determine a winner and in the end they lost as much as they can, but as the final shot shows they\'ll never be able to realize anything.

The effects during the poker game are very well done, the direction is effective and the score is a bit over the top (and we\'re talking James Horner here!).
  • Very funny watching the two guys try to outdo each other, a classic.

This episode made a nice change from the flavour of the preceding episodes, I hope to see more story's like this as the series progresses as the tongue in cheek worked wonderfully along with the gore. I think the series benefits from not trying to be too serious and this one brings it back in line.
    Hernriksen is perfectly cast as one of the main characters, he's a fine actor and I was pleased to see him in this role. A funny story and top performances all round make this one a classic episode.
    I don't see how this episode rated so low overall to be honest. A must see.