Tales from the Crypt (1996)

Ear Today... Gone Tomorrow

Aired Unknown Jul 12, 1996 on HBO

5.1
  • Good until the silly "twist" ending.

Until the ridiculous silly owl ending, I actually enjoyed this one about a gambling down on his luck safecracker who was losing his hearing and his confidence until he gets himself involved in a game between a ruthless husband (whom he owed money to) and his hot sneaky wife who helps him get his hearing and his confidence back. The acting wasn't bad and the story was decent but as mentioned when they threw in the whacked out owl stuff it was like an episode of "Goosebumps" or "Are You Afraid Of the Dark?". This one also features the return of the nine lives of a cat power that was also used in "Dig that cat...he's real gone". Once again a mostly British or ones I never heard of cast but the woman playing the wife was pretty hot and she was evil. There's also the typical mad doctor in this one as well.
    Unlike some of the other season seven episodes though, this one is pretty easy to follow and the story does have a crypt feel to it until the end.
    If only they tweaked the twist a bit better, this one would have gotten at least a seven from me but has to settle for a 5.5.