Tales from the Crypt (1996)

Fitting Punishment

Aired Unknown Jun 19, 1990 on HBO

• Excellent

One of my absolute favorite episodes! Great all around!
  • Blood thicker than water.

I'll admit this epsode is just a bit emotionally painful at times to watch, probably because I felt bad for the nefew and well that's the point.

This is basically a fable about greed and how it can destroy a mans soul. Moses Gunn was brilently cast and acted as the antagonist Ezra in the tale. I really hated the guy we see he's a greed cheap skate mortician who's whole existance seems to revolve around money he litteraly worships it as he states "Like the bible says, every penny saved is every dollar earned" although he's wrong that was from Benjamin Franklin so it sort of tells you Ezra isn't very smart. He's sees the dead as nothing but dollar signs displayed by his filthy grave robbing habbits, how he treats the living he's sees as nothing but assets like how for no reason whatsoever he's treats the pipe organ player disrespectfully (any boss treated me like that I would quit imediately), but most of all how he goes about living, he's so cheep he doesn't allow his nefew to turn on the lights or water freely when needed just to save a mesely amount of bucks. You like the nefew because we can easily see he's a good soul that like any teenager has ambitions, respects his family despite how his uncle treats him (probably hoping like any kid for his guardian to love him), does a good job and he's doesn't ask for much except simple things. I felt sad for what happened to him but like in any "Tales from the Crept" tale felt a sweet sense of relief for the justice he delivers in the end.

I even like some of the interror construction of the funeral home and the cinamatography of it making the funeral home feel and seem very cramped, unconfortable, as well as falling apart from cheeply painted stain glass windows or the color of the walls that looked a little depressing or just need to be repainted. It really reflected the psyche of Ezra soul showing how poor it truely is. It also has a very clastrophobic feel to it, which has an ironic sensabilty, making it feel as though Erza own funeral home is his own coffin.

The amount of how greedy one is is the messurment for their own coffin.
  • Ezra is a selfish funeral home director. When his orpahned nephew comes to live with him, he soons begin abusing the young boy verbally and physically; he soon realizes blood is thicker than water.

This episode concerns a selfish funeral home director named Ezra; he is mean, corrupt, and irreverent towards the dead, doing everything from stealing from the corpses to using cheap chemicals instead of the required product to work on them. One day, his nephew Bobby comes to live with him because his parents were killed in a car crash. Ezra takes Bobby in but in an extremely reluctant manner. He basically makes Bobby do all his dirty work and if Bobby makes the slightest mistake, Ezra punishes him excessively. When Bobby orders the wrong coffin for a man's dead son, Ezra is furious fearing Bobby will mess up his finances, so he whacks Bobby in the legs with a crowbar. Bobby is paralyzed from the waist down and will have to spend the rest of his life on crutches. One day, Ezra kills Bobby in order to make use of the coffin Bobby ordered that would have gone to waste; however, Bobby is too tall to fit in the coffin, so Ezra cuts his feet off to make him fit. But Bobby comes from the dead and shows Ezra blood is thicker than water.
  • This was a very creepy episode.

This episode is about a boy who is forced to live with his greedy, evil uncle after his parents die. This guy was a total jerk. His saying was water is thicker than blood. He treated his innocent nephew like a very unwelcome guest. The plot thickens when a coffin ordered for a funeral is not correct; he is a mortician. This is where his greedy, evilness turns deadly. The ending is classic.
  • Harrowing tale

I had seen this episode years ago and treaded to rewatch it now, not exactly sure why. Now I know. This is one of the meanest, grimmest episodes the series has to offer.

Mostly this is the result of the portrayal of Ezra, the cruel mortician played by Moses Gunn with a complete lack of morals or empathy. He is just mean and greedy, nothing else. One wonders what his purpose in life is. As a stark contrast, his nephew is nothing but pure innocence and those two extremes in good and bad characters make the episode as entertaining as it is.

Furthermore, the depiction of the mortician\\\'s work is just gross and makes you happy that \\\"Six Feet Under\\\" mostly avoids the gory details. The direction, camera and music all are very good and certainly above the average \\\"Crypt\\\" standards.

A fine, scary episode that I wouldn\\\'t want to watch in the dark.