Tales from the Crypt (1996)

Food for Thought

Aired Unknown Oct 06, 1993 on HBO

7.8
  • An odd tale of circus folk.

7.6
    Just one thing to say about this episode: creepy.
    Ernie Hudson as Zambini was disturbing, with his weird mind powers and a not so clear obsession with food. A good actor, in a strange roll. And, being a circus episode as it was, there was a series of minor characters that added a little more spice to the story with their one peculiarities.
    Joan Chen´s part (a treat for the Twin Peak fans out there) was a good complement to Hudson. Him, with the fury, the jealousy and the crazy mind tricks, and her, we can say a passive victim of Zambini´s madness that is desperately looking for an escape.
    Finally, John Laughlin was ok, couldn´t really buy the "good guy thing" they were going for. It just seemed like a cardboard figure that tried to say and do the right things all the time, what, in the end, didn´t affect the story as much as one will think. Given Hudson´s insanity, his complete opposite was needed to make the tale work.
    Bottom line: an enjoyable episode.
  • The only "Crypt" that disturbs me.

I agree with the last review 100%, this was dumb. First off, it's another sideshow freak episode, (which I hate more than "dead coming back with no explanation" episodes). Although I liked Dig that cat, This is more along the lines of Lower Berth than that one anyways, showcasing more of the freak aspect of the carnival. It really had no point and the insane love for food and mind reading stuff just bothered me. This is the only time that a Crypt character disturbed me, I hated Zambini so much, just annoying. Even Ezra from Fitting Punishment never bothered me as much as he did. The gorilla suit was so fake as well. It did nothing for me, although Joan Chen is beautiful and the fire eater was decent, they were the only things redeemable about this one. The music at the beginning was catchy though, I still remember that which is a shock cause I tried to forget this entry.

I rewatched almost all the crypt's at least 2-3 times, this one never gets a rewatch, it's just disgusting and dumb.
  • Zambini and his act connie are in the carnival. Zambini is mean to her, and after the pain of Zambini killing her 'love' she does leave.

1.7
    This was really dumb in my opinion. I didn't like it too much at all. Zambini's love for food was just weird, and how he treated her. He was too mean. The way he talked to her. Zambini and his girlfriend connie are in the carnival as mind readers. He can read her mind. One day when she is out telling her new boyfriend she is going to leave Zambini, and how she is going with him, Zambini gets very jealous. Zambini is mean to her, and after the pain of Zambini killing her 'love' she does leave. When he thinks he has contacted her, he gets a big suprise.
  • An episode you will go ape over!

I thought this episode was really good and the ending was kind of creepy because of who's thoughts Zambini was reading. Ernie Hudson was great in this episode as the lead character, I'm used to seeing him as a good guy. He made a great villain. The gorilla was really mean looking. The problem with this episode that it was predictable. I know exactly what was going to happen before it did, but the beauty of this episode is that it still was creepy. This episode is one of the neat ones to watch and it will have you thinking about the ending for a long time after you see it
  • Circus Sideshow...? (Yawn)

This is a episode that's based around a circus sideshow. In this episode was the Great Zambini who's act was using telepathic power with his assisant/lover. Outside of their act he was cruel and controlling. One day, a handsome fire-eater joins the sideshow. The assistant falls in love with this young man. Zambini is not happy when he finds out about this. In a fit of rage he kills the fire-eater. The assistant was crushed and left Zambini and the side show. Broken and depressed Zambini tries to connect to his once lover telepathetically, but is in for a terrible surprise. This show was mediocre but the ending was pretty cool.