We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Adaptions...

Stevie_Vickers

[1]Mar 23, 2008
    • level: 5

Were there any other EC stories you would've liked to see adapted as episodes? I can't really answer that one myself, having virtually no access to EC reprints (I cannot find the EC Archives in any bookstore near my residence). I was going to say "Foul Play", but I have no idea how they would've made that one hold up over 25 minutes.

Thereofore, out of curiosity, I'm asking you guys instead, since you seem like much bigger TFtC fans than me. And sorry if this is a dumb question.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sniktawt

[2]Mar 23, 2008
    • level: 44

There's so that can be made...

Foul Play for sure...They could stretch that one out.

offhand I'd say...

Touch And Go!...They made 93 episodes and they left out this classic for crap like the Sacrifice and Till Death do we part (the Stamos one, not the zombie plantation one). This would have been a one man show for sure.

T'aint The Meat...It's The Humanity.

Garden Party

Out of his head

The Bath

Missed By Two Heirs!

The Jellyfish

Mr. Biddy..Killer

The Craving Grave

Dying To Lose Weight

And i would love to see The real versions of...

Let the punishment fit the crime

A Slight Case Of Murder

Smoke wrings

and of course...All the GRIM FAIRY TALES.

Edited on 03/23/2008 5:20pm

Stevie_Vickers

[3]Mar 23, 2008
    Yeah, they probably could stretch that out, come to think of it. I was surprised that they left that one out, to be honest. I thought it was one of the most recognized Crypt stories, if not one of the most infamous. (I mean, body parts as baseball equipment? How over-the-top can you get?) But no...as you said, we got things like The Sacrifice and Deadline. (I don't mind Till Death Do We Part that much, but that's beside the point.)

I recognized two stories from the cartoon, one of which was one of the Grim Fairy Tales, if I'm not mistaken (The Sleeping Beauty?) and Gone Fishing (which was at least partially intact...I was always stupidly fond of that one and that other one about that hunter who loved hunting a bit too much...the Trophy? Was that it?) and those were both pretty bad, as far as I can remember.

I can't believe I forgot about T'aint the Meat! That would've been fun to see, as would the real version of Smoke Wrings. The episode was just stupid. (Say, what was the original A Slight Case of Murder about? I'm curious.)

Oh yes, what about Drawn and Quartered, that one about the voodoo artist? I know that's already been adapted once, but then again, so had And All Through the House...

Say, do you know where I could find the EC Archives? I'd like to read some of these titles I don't recognize in your list, but I haven't been able to find the collections anywhere. Would a comic supplier carry them or would I be better off looking online?

sniktawt

[4]Mar 24, 2008
    You can get them online through Amazon or Ebay pretty easily. Comic stores carry them as well. I just got the complete CrimeStories and Vault of horror reprint collections on ebay for 80 bucks for both, 40 a piece!! so they can be found cheap. I usually try for the buy it now prices as sometimes you can get a deal and your not being outbid at the last second. There's usually a ton of the 90's reprints kicking around on Ebay all the time. Well worth searching out. If u have a comic store in yur area, try them they may have several of the 90's reprints in back stock, they were over produced and can come cheap. The hardcovers will cost no matter what, but look nice. The original hardcover reprints are in black and white, not sure about the new ones, tho.

sniktawt

[5]Mar 24, 2008
    Oh and most of the 73 Vault of Horror movie stories, Drawn and Quartered, the neat job, Midnight mess, and This' Trick'll kill ya also deserve updates, all great stories.

EmperorCain

[6]Mar 29, 2008
    • level: 1

Stevie_Vickers wrote:
    I can't believe I forgot about T'aint the Meat! That would've been fun to see, as would the real version of Smoke Wrings. The episode was just stupid. (Say, what was the original A Slight Case of Murder about? I'm curious.)

The original story was about a series of unsolved murders occuring in a small town where a number of young women were being killed with no possible way for the killer to get to them since they were found in locked rooms. It ended up the town sheriff, who was a freak with a normal sized head but lizard-like body hiding himself in a human like robotic body was the killer. Terrific story, which certainly made me quite upset when the adaption was 0% like it.

Touch & Go was mentioned earlier as a possible adaption; I think one reason it may never have been adapted was because it was originally a Ray Bradbury story, so they'd have to get permission from him too.

My picks for stories I'd like to see adapted:

Silver Threads Among the Mold - The first EC story I ever read. Probably the most horrific final panel in EC history.

Pipe Down - A story about an old man who is killed by his young wife & lover, and is reincarnated as a monkey and takes revenge.

My Brother's Keeper - The picto-fiction version (the one from Shock SuspenStories was adapted already). Terrific story about a guy who thinks everyone wants to put his mentally retarded brother in the looney bin, so he kills him rather than let them do that to him. Only it ends up that it was he that they wanted to put in the institution all along because he was so violent whenever anyone picked on his brother. Probably the best picto-fiction story they did IMHO.

Horror We? How's Bayou? - Great rotting corpse story about three dismembered corpses coming back and brutally mutilating the guy who was responsible for them being killed.

Understudies - Probaby the single best story from Crime SuspenStories; about lovers who murder their spouses and run away together. They take on the physical appearances of their dead spouses in order to fool their friends & neighbors, but slowly turn into exactly like them from a personality standpoint to until they want to kill eaach other.

sniktawt

[7]Mar 29, 2008

I know that Touch and Go was a Bradbury but he probably would have let them do it, It was actually adapted for the Ray Bradbury Theatre with Michael Ironside as "The Fruit At The Bottom Of The Bowl" but it would have been better with Crypt's production values, i'm sure.

Most of the EC bradbury stories were adapted on the Ray Bradbury Theatre, a good place to go to get low budget EC type fixes.

Understudies was great, love Silver Threads but it might be too boring as an adaption.

Edited on 03/29/2008 3:10pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Stevie_Vickers

[8]Mar 29, 2008
    Ah yes, I knew that "Touch and Go" sounded familiar! The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl happens to be one of my favorite Bradbury stories! Speaking of Bradbury, I would've loved to see TFTC editions of Let's Play Poison (kids take revenge on a heartless, kid hating teacher! What's not to love?) and The Handler. But I guess I have to stick with the Ray Bradbury Theater.

I don't believe I've heard of Silver Threads Among the Mold either. *hangs head in shame* The original A Slight Case of Murder sounds like it would've been awesome, however. Instead, we got this thing about a mystery writer...who...I really don't care, to be honest.

I've tossed around the idea of adapting one or a few EC stories into screenplays just for kicks, but it seems counterproductive, plus I'm no screenwriter. Actually, I tried it once; sadly it didn't work out and I'd probably picked one that didn't translate very well. (In case you're curious, it was A-Corny Story, about that rich man who fires his butler for being old, leading butler to send rich man a cursed tree which causes rich man to unage into nonexistence. I thought I could try to use it as a satire on the obsession with youth and the folly of ageism and whatnot...plus, the premise really scared me for some reason. Then I realized that the whole story was so spread out and the last moments are so rushed that it wouldn't work. I gave up. The end.)

After seeing the recap of the story while re-watching that doc that came from Season One, I'm curious: who would you want to see in an adaption of the aforementioned T'aint the Meat... if there was to be one? Just a stupid question. (Now that's a final panel I would've loved to see in live-action, by the way.)

EmperorCain

[9]Mar 30, 2008
    • level: 1

Stevie_Vickers wrote:
    Ah yes, I knew that "Touch and Go" sounded familiar! The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl happens to be one of my favorite Bradbury stories! Speaking of Bradbury, I would've loved to see TFTC editions of Let's Play Poison (kids take revenge on a heartless, kid hating teacher! What's not to love?) and The Handler. But I guess I have to stick with the Ray Bradbury Theater.

Well, at the least, they did adapt them both in the comics. Let's Play Poison was in Vault of Horror #29 and The Handler was in Tales From the Crypt #36.

:
    I don't believe I've heard of Silver Threads Among the Mold either. *hangs head in shame*

My first ever EC story, so probably a little more memorable to me than some others, but I do think that final panel is about as horrific as anything EC did to end a story, well except for the final page of Foul Play. Did forget about that infamous ending. The "Silver Threads" story's about an artist whose in love with his top model, but she is seeing someone else behind his back. They get in an argument one night after he creates a lifesize statue of her and she completely dissappears. The boyfriend looks for her, but eventually gives up and buys the statue as a rememberence to her. One night he gets drunk knocks the statue over and breaks the hand, which has a human hand within it. He breaks the statue's head, and of course finds her rotting face underneath it Great, great visual to end that story.

ShumaGorath666

[10]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 15
    As a fan of the circus episodes, I would've liked to see Fed Up. I don't think the others had sword-swallowers. And Poetic Justice was my second favorite segment in the film behind And All Through the House, an update on that could be great, though I don't know who could replace Peter Cushing.

sniktawt

[11]Mar 31, 2008

ShumaGorath666 wrote:
    As a fan of the circus episodes, I would've liked to see Fed Up. I don't think the others had sword-swallowers. And Poetic Justice was my second favorite segment in the film behind And All Through the House, an update on that could be great, though I don't know who could replace Peter Cushing.

The other "About Face" is a circus tale about a lion tamer, that one had a cool creepy ending. And "Squash, Anyone? was also a circus tale about an elephant trainer those would have been great to see adapted as well.

And I agree with you 100%, Poetic Justice would have been great updated,m but Cushing is a hard act to follow like you said.

Stevie_Vickers

[12]Apr 5, 2008
    EmperorCain wrote:

My first ever EC story, so probably a little more memorable to me than some others, but I do think that final panel is about as horrific as anything EC did to end a story, well except for the final page of Foul Play. Did forget about that infamous ending. The "Silver Threads" story's about an artist whose in love with his top model, but she is seeing someone else behind his back. They get in an argument one night after he creates a lifesize statue of her and she completely dissappears. The boyfriend looks for her, but eventually gives up and buys the statue as a rememberence to her. One night he gets drunk knocks the statue over and breaks the hand, which has a human hand within it. He breaks the statue's head, and of course finds her rotting face underneath it Great, great visual to end that story.

That reminds me of the Roger Corman film "A Bucket of Blood", which involved a starving artist who created his work my killing people and encasing them in concrete; he's discovered by a similar method when his most stunning work, a statue of a woman is damaged. I wonder if Corman ever read this story...

I think I've either seen a panel or a cover related to that elephant tamer story in a comic collector's magazine somewhere: did it involve a woman getting stepped on or something?

Stevie_Vickers

[13]Apr 15, 2008
    Sorry for the bump, but does the offer to post a few of the mentioned stories up here still apply, sniktawt?

sniktawt

[14]Apr 16, 2008

yeppers

Edited on 04/16/2008 1:29am

Stevie_Vickers

[15]Apr 16, 2008
    Well, whenever it's convenient for you, I'd love to see some of them. ^^

sniktawt

[16]Apr 17, 2008

UNDERSTUDIES

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

THE KILLER

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

SILVER THREADS AMONG THE MOLD

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

TOUCH AND GO

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Edited on 04/17/2008 2:10am

lamdnjchem

[17]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 23

Touch and Go was one of those uncredited Bradbury adaptations wasnt it? of "The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl?" I just watched that episode of Ray Bradbury Theater a few weeks ago, and...This is a dead ringer. If it is, then this comic's been adapted....into a brilliant episode of RBT starring Michael Ironside! (talk about Tales from the Crypt and Ray Bradbury exchanging ideas with that star.)

The episode even ends on the fingerprint covered doorknob!

Edited on 04/17/2008 4:21am
    Edited 2 total times.

sniktawt

[18]Apr 17, 2008
    lamdnjchem wrote:

Touch and Go was one of those uncredited Bradbury adaptations wasnt it? of "The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl?" I just watched that episode of Ray Bradbury Theater a few weeks ago, and...This is a dead ringer. If it is, then this comic's been adapted....into a brilliant episode of RBT starring Michael Ironside! (talk about Tales from the Crypt and Ray Bradbury exchanging ideas with that star.)

The episode even ends on the fingerprint covered doorknob!

I already mentioned this...

sniktawt wrote:

It was actually adapted for the Ray Bradbury Theatre with Michael Ironside as "The Fruit At The Bottom Of The Bowl" but it would have been better with Crypt's production values, i'm sure.

Most of the EC bradbury stories were adapted on the Ray Bradbury Theatre, a good place to go to get low budget EC type fixes.

Oh and I believe every single Bradbury EC adaption was done for the RBT series. One of the reasons why I want them. lol.

Edited on 04/17/2008 6:10am

lamdnjchem

[19]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 23
    sorry, totally missed that. ha.

Stevie_Vickers

[20]Apr 17, 2008
    I remember they were selling a complete collection of the Ray Bradbury Theater episodes on DVD down at Ross's for like 11 dollars or so. Sadly, I was 11 at the time and couldn't give a rip about Bradbury. Ah, for missed chances...

Anyway, these are great as always. Understudies is awesome...shame that was never adapted. And it's a treat to see a comic version of a Bradbury tale for the first time. ^^