The Crypt

lamdnjchem

[61]May 11, 2008
    • level: 23
    Another option is Dead Alive, aka Braindead. It's one of Peter Jackson's super gory movies he did pre Lord of the Rings. Simultaneously very funny, absolutely disgusting, and pretty scary at the same time.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

malcovio

[62]May 13, 2008
    • level: 11
    I just watched a movie called Teeth. Has anybody heard of it?

lamdnjchem

[63]May 13, 2008
    malcovio wrote:
    I just watched a movie called Teeth. Has anybody heard of it?

I bought it when it came out a couple weeks ago but havent watched it yet. Probably won't for a long time since I have a convoluted system for how I watch the dvds I buy. It's supposed to be fantastic though, I've heard....and um...cringingly memorable for men. we'll go with that.

Personally, I got my deeply disturbing visuals, over the top Dead Alive-level blood and gore, hideously innappropriate stereotypical humor, and overall memorable experiences from a screening of Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead on Saturday (anyone who is familiar with the Troma brand knows what I'm talking about). Great...deeply...deeply...indescribably twisted movie. But I digress.

How was Teeth?

malcovio

[64]May 13, 2008
    I didn't like it all too well. The gore was good, but the main problem was that the movie took a point of view that's very glib which pretty much ruined it for me. All guys are shown as rapists and all girls are sluts. There was also a few over the top cartoony stuff. If you haven't seen it I don't wanna ruin it, but it could have been much better. Although as bad movies go it was at least entertaining because it wasn't afraid to show graphic gore in a few parts as well as unexpected nudity. On a different subject: I've wanted to see Poultrygeist for a long time! I love Lloyd Kaufman's stuff. I'll go check out your review on that site. Do you have any idea when it's coming out on DVD?

lamdnjchem

[65]May 13, 2008
    malcovio wrote:
    I didn't like it all too well. The gore was good, but the main problem was that the movie took a point of view that's very glib which pretty much ruined it for me. All guys are shown as rapists and all girls are sluts. There was also a few over the top cartoony stuff. If you haven't seen it I don't wanna ruin it, but it could have been much better. Although as bad movies go it was at least entertaining because it wasn't afraid to show graphic gore in a few parts as well as unexpected nudity. On a different subject: I've wanted to see Poultrygeist for a long time! I love Lloyd Kaufman's stuff. I'll go check out your review on that site. Do you have any idea when it's coming out on DVD?

Well, regarding my review, it isn't up yet. I submitted it though, so it should be in the next few days. I imagine they'll have real fun with editing it. I mean, I quoted the tagline at the beginning....lol. ("Humans...The Other White Meat!....Unless You're Black, Then It's Dark Meat...Or If You're Asian, Then It's Yellow Meat...Or If You're Native American, Then It's Red Meat...") As for when itll be out on dvd, Troma's saying that barring some shocking unforseen error, itll be out single-disc in October. They'll also release a two-disc with some documentaries supposedly in 2009. If you do want to see it though, it's not impossible. If you live near New York City, it's screening in the East Village at the CC Village East (corner of 2nd and 12th) until May 22nd at least. (It's getting held over because it actually topped Speed Racer last weekend overall in per screen average) If you're closer to Philly it opens May 16, and Los Angeles, it opens there on June 13.

Go here for more info: http://www.poultrygeistmovie.com/screenings/

malcovio

[66]May 14, 2008
    Thanks, but I don't live near any of those places. I reckon I'm just a simple country boy.

lamdnjchem

[67]May 14, 2008
    Well, actually, lol, if you know a theater near you that would be interested in screening it, you can have them contact Troma through info on the site to get the ability to screen the film. Or you can wait till October. either way it works. lol

malcovio

[68]May 14, 2008
    That's cool. I'll try that.

lamdnjchem

[69]May 14, 2008
    Not to brag btw, but if you're curious, I asked Lloyd Kaufman who he'd want to play him in 10 years when they do the Lloyd Kaufman biopic (like the robert ripley one they're doing with jim carrey). He said Mel Brooks or...New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg (*rimshot*). (The cast and crew and kaufman were at the showing I went to for a Q&A after).

malcovio

[70]May 14, 2008
    Bloomberg! That's fukin funny. But I think Ron Jeremy would be the best choice. Just picture it. Him just like he is but with a Lloyd Kaufman wig.
    Edited on 05/14/2008 3:50pm

lamdnjchem

[71]May 14, 2008
    malcovio wrote:
    Bloomberg! That's fukin funny. But I think Ron Jeremy would be the best choice. Just picture it. Him just like he is but with a Lloyd Kaufman wig.

True but thatd only happen if he was making the movie given jeremy's cameo in poultrygeist. Truth be told he prolly wouldnt need a wig, just a grey dye job and a haircut. lol

lamdnjchem

[72]May 15, 2008
    Annnnnd its live.

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/poultrygeist-night-of-the-chicken-dead-2006-movie-review.html

Complete with youtube trailer goodness.

Comments and ratings appreciated.

Stevie_Vickers

[73]May 18, 2008
    • level: 5
    Underdog121488 wrote:
    So, would it be possible to blend horror and comedy in a coherent way, so that they both do their job? Or are they just too opposite to work together?

Off and on-topic at the same time, it's seemed to me that horror and comedy are pretty closely related. You spend time building up to laughter in one, building up to screams in the other. We often laugh because it's not us and scream out of sympathy. (So I've heard.) Irony seems to be an oft-employed plot device in both; of course, in most comedies, the irony tends to be lighter-hearted than the ironic moments of horror. Then again, some things in a comedy could be downright depressing and terrible; if played for anything but laughs, it can turn into horror. Or you can have that wonderful little mixture I call a black comedy.

As to your request, I was going to say A Bucket of Blood, but that's probably terribly dated now and I don't remember finding it that scary upon first viewing it.

Hmm...Poultrygeist, never heard of it. I'll have to check it out.

lamdnjchem

[74]May 18, 2008
    A lot of what makes some horror work is the every-so-often comic relief moment. In many ways, horror wouldn't be as popular probably as it is without small or large amounts of comedy. (depending on what movie you're watching.) Half of the slasher genre is comedy. The kills in them are either filled with puns (Nightmare on Elm Street), or over the top and innovative, containing a perverse humor in themselves. (Scream's garage door kill for example. The improvisation and the inherent humor of rose mcgowan dying because she couldnt get through the dog door is darkly hilarious.)

Horror wouldnt work without comedy overall. The problem is sometimes theres a lot more comedy than horror. (like the scary movies. they're good, but they're not scary.)

And chances are, you wont be able to check Poultrygeist out till it hits dvd in october. Its only showing at one theater each in NYC, Philly, and LA right now. Even then itll mostly be through Amazon and Troma's website. Most stores/video rental chains blacklist them because of the over the top irreverence and violence of their movies. True independence as they say.

Underdog121488

[75]May 18, 2008
    • level: 16

So does that mean that just a little humor in horror can make it better? It sort of makes it less gruesome to the eyes (so to speak) and more terrifying?

Is that what you mean?

lamdnjchem

[76]May 18, 2008
    Well sorta. What I mean is that it can help make it work better sometimes. Take Bride of Chucky. The reason I like it so much is it doesnt take itself too seriously. It's very meta and self-referential and funny, but at the same time there are some truly gruesome moments. Not all movies need humor though. Many don't in fact. Take Hellraiser for instance. That's one of the most brilliant movies ever. I made a mistake earlier when I said horror needs humor to survive. Horror can use humor as a tool but it doesnt need to. Usually once the action gets rolling, the humor cuts down some (see Shaun of the Dead).

It's a lot like StevieVickers said. Horror and humor go together and thats why you can still get a good horror/humor movie. It might not be scary still, but its still a good movie and an enjoyable ride. I hope I'm making sense, its almost midnight here and I'm kinda tired. lol

malcovio

[77]May 19, 2008
    i just saw that it IS available for download on the internet. alright! we can discuss after i watch it.

lamdnjchem

[78]May 19, 2008
    well yeah, I have heard about that. Enjoy. lol.

lamdnjchem

[79]May 29, 2008
    I could not let this go unchallenged. Today I was on the weather channel's website.

Since I was born and lived in Louisiana and have family there, I follow hurricane season. So I was looking at the Atlantic names this year. And all I can say is I hope that Hurricane "Paloma" comes up from Mexico way.....

Stevie_Vickers

[80]May 29, 2008
    • level: 5

lamdnjchem wrote:
    I could not let this go unchallenged. Today I was on the weather channel's website. Since I was born and lived in Louisiana and have family there, I follow hurricane season. So I was looking at the Atlantic names this year. And all I can say is I hope that Hurricane "Paloma" comes up from Mexico way.....

...that is 95 different kinds of awesome. But will they be able to verify that it's Hurrican Paloma?

Oh, and Entertaiment Weekly had a review out on Poutrygeist. A) So that's why Troma sounded familiar (sat down and watched The Toxic Avenger with my cousin a year or so ago) and B) It's a musical? Oh, now I'm definitely going to go see it!

Edited on 05/30/2008 5:43am