The Crypt

Stevie_Vickers

[101]Jun 18, 2008
    • level: 5
    In that case, I was better off not watching it. Sheesh, I bet anything that PETA was bribing the producers to make them look good.

Yeah, he said that. The play was called Saving the Greeks: One Tragedy at a Time; it was a Python-esque ode to the Greek tragedy, and a sort of mass crossover of Oedipus, Electra, and other Greek tragedies which I can't remember right now. The last fifteen minutes had a lot of onstage deaths, courtesy of cardboard swords, lightning bolts from above, and a Cyclops. I mean, that's how Greek tragedies, even parodies go, right? Evidently not. We submitted the script to the principal for approval, and it got shot down. He wasn't concerned about the incest jokes, etc., he was concerned about the blatant violence. With cardboard swords. And our director, after fuming for a while, decided not to do that play, even though it was awesome, instead choosing this thing about a teenage girl who falls in love. It was rife with sex jokes, but at least nobody got stabbed! (But that's always been the relationship between the principal and the theater department- everything is our fault, therefore, we don't deserve funding. I'm so glad I'm ditching that place for college this fall.)

And there is my rant. Phew.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lamdnjchem

[102]Jun 18, 2008
    • level: 23
    Suggestion: bring the script with you and present it to whatever theater council is at the college you're going to. They'll prolly do it. My college did One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Shakespeare, Sweeney Todd, and, my personal favorite, Black Comedy (a hilarious play that, in short, takes place during a blackout. But instead of it being all a blackout, the first bit few minutes (where the power's on) is done totally in the dark, and the rest in which there's a blackout, is fully lit and done in such a way that the actor's pretend its a blackout. Couple that craziness with wacky, lightly drunk neighbors, and a hilarious love triangle, and you get a great great show.

Stevie_Vickers

[103]Jun 18, 2008
    Black Comedy was in the list of plays we were slated to do last fall; it was shunted aside because the chorus department wanted to do a musical and took up the theater. We were beat out by Little Women. And yeah, that's what I plan to do, provided I can even find time in my schedule for theater. (I'm an honors Biology major, so I know I'm going to have so many extra hours of work, projects, et al.)

It's interesting how we were able to get away with violence onstage if we did Shakespeare. If it's the Bard, it's okay, anything else will somehow cause mass murder. That's theater in the Bible Belt for you. (Writing about my activities in both the high school and local theater makes me realize how much I'll miss it.)

I've been looking over Troma's list of releases, having seen the trailer for Poultrygeist (now I just have to find somewhere that shows the film!). Are there any other films under their label that you reccomend?

lamdnjchem

[104]Jun 18, 2008
    Being totally honest, I have yet to see another troma film. However, I OWN a bunch of them (10 dvds and a poultrygeist preview...has the first 5 minutes of the movie). It's this thing with the fact that i've got like 100 dvds i havent watched so i randomize them on excel to pick the next one (i'm on Dr. Strangelove right now.)

ANNNNNYWAY......the absolute classics that most troma fans always recommend are the lloyd kaufman classics: The Toxic Avenger(has three sequels), Terror Firmer, The Class of Nuke 'Em High(has two sequels), and Tromeo and Juliet. He also did a movie called Sgt. Kabukiman, NYPD which is supposed to be great as well...but if you cant handle large doses of asian stereotypes....lol.... They've released the ones with sequels in box sets now, as well as alone. I own all the ones I've mentioned except nuke 'em and no sequels yet.

That said, there's a few other ones that are a bit off the beaten path...All the Love You Cannes is a documentary of Lloyd and the troma team at the cannes film festival making mayhem (I do own this one)...Tales from the Cr*pper is a massive debacle widely considered his worst film which basically was an expensive film that yielded very little usable footage..so the recut it and redubbed it Mystery Science Theater style (that one's one that should be researched first before youd see it cuz it's different than the other ones because of all the problems. In fact, theres a dumpster filled with copies of the movie in Poultrygeist as a joke.)

Beyond Kaufman, thats when you hit the WIDELY varying quality level since they release EXTREMELY independent films. Of those, I recommend the classic, Trey Parker and Matt Stone's pre south park work Cannibal! The Musical, and the James Gunn/Jenna Fischer mockumentary Lollilove. (I own both. They're supposed to be OUTSTANDING.) Beyond those, troma fans also like to mention the films: Beware! Children at Play, Bloodsucking Freaks, Mother's Day, and Redneck Zombies. Again, remember most of the independent ones are SUPER Low-budget. which is supposed to be part of the fun but can put off some people who aren't expecting possibly sub-par acting and camera work.

If i had to recommend though the kaufman classics and the first two non-kaufman's are the biggies. I also own the two discs of Troma's British tv show Troma's Edge TV that they've released. It's kinda subversive, etc.

I'm rambling, but I hope that helps. If you want me to condense, let me know. lol.

Stevie_Vickers

[105]Jun 18, 2008

Thanks for the recs; I'll have to start checking those out. And Dr. Strangelove is indeed awesome. ^^ Peter Sellers is one of my idols, and the film has one of my all-time favorite lines: "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"

I've heard about Cannibal! the Musical from one of my South Park-crazy friends, and that's one I've been intrigued about for a while now. And my uncle has all the Toxic Avenger movies, plus a few old videotapes of the cartoon series (?!). I think he might have a few more Troma movies in his stash, albeit on videotape. I'll have to ask.

Edited on 06/18/2008 6:51pm

lamdnjchem

[106]Jun 20, 2008
    YO! Malcovio! Stevie_Vickers!

Where are you both geographically? I know Stevie's in Georgia, I'm curious if he'll be near Atlanta in September. I'll explain why overall when you guys tell me.

Stevie_Vickers

[107]Jun 20, 2008
    Nope. I'm heading to Missouri next week, and I'm probably going to be hanging around Acworth until then.

Don't tell me there's a convention I'm going to miss...

lamdnjchem

[108]Jun 20, 2008
    No, a movie.

Poultrygeist screening.

Atlanta, GA: Opening Sept 5th, 2008

(Galaxy South Dekalb Funplex 12, Decatur, GA)

(just found it on their site. There's others in Colorado, California, Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania that are also coming up.

Stevie_Vickers

[109]Jun 20, 2008
    Oh, snap.

I'm missing out big time then. DX

lamdnjchem

[110]Jun 20, 2008
    well they might make a missouri one by then, who knows.

Quagsire4

[111]Jun 21, 2008

Hardly anything ever comes to Kentucky...

Hey, uh, this is something completely off-topic, but I want to get my 11-year-old little brother into Tales from the Crypt, cause I know he'd love it. What would be a good episode to show him?

Edited on 06/21/2008 12:26pm

Stevie_Vickers

[112]Jun 21, 2008
    I'd say one of the more iconic episodes like Carrion Death or All Through the House, but that's just me. Something that epitomizes the EC formula. I started my brother (he's 16) off with Forever Ambergris , but that was because we were both Who fans, and he was curious to see how good of an actor Roger Daltrey was. He kept commenting on Dalton's actions throughout the episode using lyrics from the songs: it's been awhile, but I remember that during the ending, my brother shouts out "Dude, you've just been fooled again!", and I about fell out of my chair laughing.

I never really got him started on Crypt, though; he'll only watch episodes where someone's guaranteed to get naked. Better than nothing, I suppose.

Quagsire4

[113]Jun 21, 2008

Thanks, Stevie.

Dalton sure knew what it was like to be the bad man.

Stevie_Vickers

[114]Jun 21, 2008
    Yup. But in the end, he was the sad man. And then the dead man- ouch!

Quagsire4

[115]Jun 21, 2008

He was no substitute for Ike.

Stevie_Vickers

[116]Jun 21, 2008

Nope.

And Bobbi wasn't gonna take it.

XD

Edited on 06/21/2008 2:31pm

CryptCory

[117]Jun 21, 2008
    • level: 7
    Quagsire4 wrote:

Hey, uh, this is something completely off-topic, but I want to get my 11-year-old little brother into Tales from the Crypt, cause I know he'd love it. What would be a good episode to show him?

And All Through the House, House of Horror, Death of Some Salesman, The New Arrival, Let the Punishment Fit the Crime

Those are my suggestions. Those are episodes that would get me hooked.

CryptCanuck

[118]Jun 21, 2008
    • level: 3
    CryptCory wrote:
    Quagsire4 wrote:

And All Through the House, House of Horror, Death of Some Salesman, The New Arrival, Let the Punishment Fit the Crime

Those are my suggestions. Those are episodes that would get me hooked.

I think I'm gonna be biased here and say Carrion Death, which if you couldn't tell is my fav episode in all of Crypt. The ending should be enough to get him hooked

CryptCory

[119]Jun 22, 2008
    • level: 7
    Oh Yeah I love Carrion Death. Yeah that episode, definitly.

lamdnjchem

[120]Jul 3, 2008
    You guys are gonna hate me so much for this....umm....

So Monstermania updated its guest list today. I was already going to meet Robert Englund and for a Nightmare on Elm Street Series Reunion.

But then I saw this guy was just added:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0440885/

So seriously, I wanna know. I'm thinking I'll have him sign the Two-pack of Demon Knight and Bordello of Blood alongside Corey Feldman. I don't really like having people sign tv shows....but I dont know. Suggestions?

Please don't hurt me. lol.