Tales from the Crypt (1996)

Last Respects

Aired Unknown Apr 26, 1996 on HBO

• The first episode I ever saw.

This episode was the first TftC I had ever seen, and I've always been able to remember it even if I'd seen it only once.

Basically, three sisters find the old monkey's paw, and when one wishes for a fortune she winds up getting killed for it, until the other sister unintentionally uses the paw to reveal what really happened. To get revenge, she beats the paw at it's own game and gives the final wish to their dead sister, who comes back to get her revenge on the sister who killed her. A classic which survived as a type of rebooted sequel for the Wish You Were Here story from the original movie.
  • Emma Samms Is In It

I don't know if I'm a big "Crypt" fan; to me, the series seemed to be just an excuse to expose blood and gore on TV. Some of the episodes are okay, but I like this episode above all others just because Emma Samms starred in it. Unfortunately, the episode doesn't do anything new but rehash the same Curse of the Monkey Paw story, but the only unusual twist is how the daughters try to get around the curse by trying to get around it. Predictably, it doesn't work. If I had written the episode, while knowing Emma Samms was starring in it, I could have written a far more intense scene with a completely gore-free and more psychologically intense plot, but no one asked.