Tales from the Crypt (1996)

Lower Berth

Aired Unknown Jul 03, 1990 on HBO

• A Clever Way To Tell Backstory

I'm a bit of a dabbler in the Tales of the Crypt series myself, only having recently gotten into the series. But when I stumbled upon this episode, I was expecting another excellently well-written short screen-play told by our friend the Crypt-Keeper. The entire aspect from the acting, to the story, to even the characters themselves were quite interesting. I loved the make-up done for Enoch, a definite first that I've seen in the Tales I've watched so far. Aside from the face that the mummy did look a bit faux, it was still an enjoyable episode. But the one thing that hooks me to this episode is that ending they throw at you in the end.

I never would've guessed the Crypt-Keeper had come from two ex-sideshow freaks, or that he even had parents at all. It was very surprising to me, but I very much loved the ending. A somewhat out of character Crypt-Keeper and a maniacal laugh-the Crypt-Keeper has shown once again that he can be emotional and insane at the same time. A definite sneaky way to develop a back story to our host while still keeping the tradition of a Tale from the Crypt. I applaud the screen-play writers and actors for such a spectacular performance and hope that I see future episode that pack just as much of a surprise.
  • A two-faced circus freak falls in love with an acient mummy. That is basically it--oh, and a Crypt Keeper-related twist at the end.

7.4
    This is a below-average episode in Season 2, and seemed to exist only for the slightly amusing twist ending.

What was enjoyable was the set-up of the episode; the 1910s is a great, creepy era. The problem with some of the episode with not much to them, the viewer ends up sitting through several minutes of useless filler scenes just so they can throw the "twist" at you in the final minute. Been there, done that. The acting, as with almost all the Crypt eppies, is top-notch and over-the-top. Jeff Yagher, who was the director of the episode, played Enoch the Two-Faced Man quite well--though the kudos should be given to whoever created the second face. The second mouth was moving and twitching through the whole episode. Really well done.

I thought the final Keeper segment was out-of-character. I never, ever expect the Keeper to cry and get emotional over anything, though the typical insane laugher was not far behind.

I just didn't think the episode was that scary--or suspenseful. It seemed to be a lot of delaying and delaying until the end. There was a nice stabbing with a pair of shears, but that also felt like filler, too. The curse was never realy explained.

C'mon, the show is capable of so much more.