Tales from the Crypt (1996)

Lower Berth

Aired Unknown Jul 03, 1990 on HBO

• A Clever Way To Tell Backstory

I'm a bit of a dabbler in the Tales of the Crypt series myself, only having recently gotten into the series. But when I stumbled upon this episode, I was expecting another excellently well-written short screen-play told by our friend the Crypt-Keeper. The entire aspect from the acting, to the story, to even the characters themselves were quite interesting. I loved the make-up done for Enoch, a definite first that I've seen in the Tales I've watched so far. Aside from the face that the mummy did look a bit faux, it was still an enjoyable episode. But the one thing that hooks me to this episode is that ending they throw at you in the end.

I never would've guessed the Crypt-Keeper had come from two ex-sideshow freaks, or that he even had parents at all. It was very surprising to me, but I very much loved the ending. A somewhat out of character Crypt-Keeper and a maniacal laugh-the Crypt-Keeper has shown once again that he can be emotional and insane at the same time. A definite sneaky way to develop a back story to our host while still keeping the tradition of a Tale from the Crypt. I applaud the screen-play writers and actors for such a spectacular performance and hope that I see future episode that pack just as much of a surprise.