Tales from the Crypt (1996)

Split Second

Aired Unknown Aug 07, 1991 on HBO

• You'll see why...

Split Second was one of the best episodes in the series especially renowned for its satisfying twist ending of a unique kind. The boss of a timber company Dixon meets a sexy barmaid named Liz whom he eventually marries. She becomes the eye and attention of the workers which leads to Dixon with an erupting violent temper. New guy Ted arrives to gain a job with much success in his talent of chopping big logs in only a matter of seconds. Liz tries to bed with him and the result is the dreanged Dixon blinding him with an ax. The other guys decide to help gain their vengeance through a means of honing his talent on their insane boss trapped and gagged in a hollow log...and his wife too. This episode was awesome.
  • This episode concerns a easy-going lumberjack who turns into a jealous guy after he marries a beautiful barmaid. He hates it when other men stare at her. One day, she falls for a new guy named Ted. Things begin to get out of hand.

Dixon is a lumberjack who fends off a man harassing a beautiful, young barmaid named Liz Kelly. After this, he convinces her he has a place for her to stay and that he will take care of her; she falls for him instantly; however, things don't stay so great. Dixon turns from an easy-going guy to a complete jerk especially to his employees who find Liz attractive. Things start to get worse when a new guy named Ted shows up looking for work. Dixon hires him, and Liz falls finds him attractive. Ted is great at cutting trees the old fashion way---with an axe. But he will soon learn to love the chainsaw. One night, Liz seduces Ted, and they begin making love. Dixon walks in and catches them. He whacks Ted in the side of the head with an axe causing him to go blind. A couple of Dixon's workers however have big plans for Ted. They tell him he can help them win a wood-sawing contest. Ted wonders how since he is blind. As a secret machination for revenge against Dixon and Liz, the guys put them inside two enormous logs and let Ted saw away for practice, while they guide him!
  • Got what they deserved !

Next to Cutting Cards, This is my second favorite episode of this series. I loved it, it has all the makings of what a Crypt episode should have. Great story, great cast, great setting, and a great twist ending.
    If any Crypt had any two characters deserving what they got, then this is it.
    I can rewatch this one over and over and still not get bored with it.
    What sets this apart from the rest is the superb performances by the cast, of course, they're campy but this is Crypt. Michelle Johnson who I only seen once in Blame It On Rio is just amazingly gorgeous in this episode and I can see how she could drive a man insane when others looked at her. Just hot. The late Brion James as always, sticks in one's memory as the psychotic Mr.Dixon, the once lovable lumberjack foreman, turned into a big jerk by the vixen. Billy Wirth was also great in this, I always liked him since War Party and I still can't believe he didn't go on to bigger and better things.
    [Spoiler Warning] I would have given this a near ten but the way Ted gets blinded is kind of ridiculous, he gets smashed in the head at least two times full force with the back end of an ax by Dixon, who has to be at least 260 lbs. those blows would not have blinded him but crushed in his skull. However I overlook that because I liked it so much. The narration by Michelle Johnson fits this one perfectly and sets up the awesome twist ending, which is extremely gory and bloody.
    Highly recommended.