Tales from the Darkside

Baker's Dozen

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Nov 23, 1986 on

• A baker who complements her delicious cookies with voodoo, partners up with a somewhat blackmailing, but greedy advertising agent.

I would watch Tales from the Darkside every week when I was three til the show ended, when I was six, with my mother of course, and this episode was, and still is, my favorite episode of the series. I knew who Mabel King was because I would watch The Wiz religiously as a kid. So, in my opinion, she fit the role of Ruby Cuzzins to a tee. Until recently, I never knew the history of why Ruby would dog Aloysius and why Henry's wife was so mad at him. I remember how I thought as a kid, and now at 24, how insanely eerie, but cool, it was how both Henry and Ruby got theirs in the end. If you think about the story of the Gingerbread Man, you will see how creatively written this story is. To me, the moral of the story is: When you believe that you will never be held accountable for the pain that you put your significant other through, payback appears with compound interest.