Tales from the Darkside

It All Comes Out in the Wash

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM May 26, 1985 on

5.4
  • You will sleep the sleep of a newborn...

This episode features the great James Hong (Big Trouble In Little China) as Chow Ting, a man who runs a Chinese laundry service that will wash away your sins for the right price. Carl Gropper is a greedy businessman who uses Chow Tings service to wash away his sins. The probme is, Gropper gets too carried away and commits crimes that he think will be washed away. The problem is that Chow Ting has other plans. This episode is actually pretty good. James Hong is great as Chow Ting and Vince Edwards (who plays Gropper) does a great one-man-show in his office as he goes from thinking he is on top of the world to a man who has nothing left as his life turns to shambles.
  • So what about the so called title?

Basically there were mysteries about why there were certain rules about such a service. How is this guy [played by James Hong, who I like especially as a villain in 24 and such media] supposed to earn his money if he wants it to be a secret? So basically we are lead to the idea he has some sort of powers, but all we see is this guy becoming further morally corrupt on the premise that he can wash away sins for a few grand.
    And then in the end when the dry cleaner guy gets his big payoff in the lotto and just closes up shop and not taking the guy's dirty laundry. What also doesn't make sense is the main character jumping out the window for no reason just because his laundry won't get washed out. I mean for a con job, that dry cleaner guy sure got it made and ruined the lives of 2 men who fell for "a promise to wash away sins" or should I say the 'scam of empty promises'.