Tales from the Darkside

(ended 1988)

Gislef

Tales from the Darkside Fan Reviews (18)

7.9
  • A great little horror/sci-fi/left-field anthology that managed to be really, really creepy and satisfying.

This was a great little horror/sci-fi/"what the?"/sometimes-funny anthology, free from the lame and snide commentary of "Tales from the Crypt;" it also didn't rely on big-name guest stars or guest directors and big-money producers to "sell" you on a weak story. I remember being really creeped-out on several occasions by these little late-night stories--I mean "leave-the-lights-on" creeped-out---but comedy or horror, unsettling or thought-provoking, it was always a satisfying half-hour.
  • Campy and Fun.

One of my favorite shows from when i was younger, its basically a mild \"Tales from the crypt\" with a much smaller budget. Though most of the time the stories are kinda laughable and campy, some of the episodes were creepy. Ether way every episode was a blast to watch.
  • A decent shoow.

The premise which inspired "Distant Signals" is guaranteed to ignite the inspiration of anyone who has loved the characters of a TV series. Mr. Smith (Lenny Von Dohlen), an otherworldly visitor, approaches the creator of a 1965 detective series (David Margulies) which was canceled in mid-season. This "fan" offers him $2 million - in gold - to write and direct six more episodes, including a vital series finale, which will remove the wandering hero from "limbo." Darren McGavin, with heartbreaking pathos, portrays the actor who is physically and metaphysically transformed from an aging dead-drunk bartender into his former self as a mythic star. This peculiarly "impossible," yet patently real idea glows with magic and life as an example of how a mere half hour installment of a small screen anthology can represent "the height of televisual art."
  • A great sci-fi series.

This was a great sci-fi series much like the shows Twilingt Zone, Outer Limits and Night Gallery. I was surprised to see that it debuted in 1983, I would have thought it was older than that. I must be getting some of these shows mixed up. It sure seems like I was a lot younger when i was watching this program. Oh well, i guess the memory is one of the first things to go. This was a pretty creepy show and I would like to see it in re runs. If anybody knows anything about it running somewhere send me a PM please.
  • Mysterious tales that are not so mysterious.

5.4
    In hopes of following in the footsteps of other great shows such as The Twilight Zone and Tales from the Crypt, Tales from the Dark Side focuses on the paranormal and darker side of life. Unfortunately, it is nowhere as successful as its forefathers.

TDS is more cheesy that scary, which is a huge no-no if you want to be taken seriously in the world of horror and sci-fi.

As a huge horror junky, I attempted to revisit this show when the Sci-Fi channel began airing it on Mondays. Sadly, it was just to cheesy for me to get into. I think that this says a lot as I am easily pleased by anything from this film genre.

All in all, I wouldn't really recommend this show to anyone. I would, however, probably sit through a few episodes if nothing else was on.
  • Before Tales from the Crypt, there was this...

No, it may not be as uncensored and touched up as TFTC, but Tales from the Darkside doesn't fail to deliver the scares on quite a few episodes. This series is based on the great horror movie Creepshow, so it already has the right people behind it, including George A. Romero. There are episodes in this series that are just as scary, and sometimes scarier, than episodes from any other television series like this. The theme song alone is a bone chiller. If you have never seen this series, I highly recommend it if you like horror series. This stuff is scary, without all of the nudity and gore
  • Although this show wasn't that good, it was good for the time. Some of the stories are really good and a lot of writters got to publish some of their stories thanks to this show. An exaple of this: Stephen King

This show had its points. Some episodes were terrible. But many other were good. 2 Stephen King stories were published here and they were really good episodes. It couldn't be that bad or it wouldn't have reached five seasons and a movie (where stephen king wrote another episode along with george romero)
    Like other series of that time (friday the thirteenth, monsters, freddy's nightmares, tales from the crypt, etc.) it had good and bad things.
    Anyway, I think it was a good horror series and well made. I also love the opening :D. I really hope you think as I do about this old-timer show.
  • This show is so good!!

a show about ghosts and the paranormal, yeah it rocks!!this show is so cool! I love to watch, but they need to show it more on Sci-Fi because its way better than some of thier other shows! It is kinda like the 80's version of The Twilight Zone, it needs to be brought back because its one of the coolest paranormal shows ever!
  • This offbeat horror series was underappreciated at the time, but it offered plenty of chills and thrills and thought-provoking plots to keep one scared and entertained. The special effects were quite good at times, and so was the dialogue.

When I was in high school during the mid- to late '80's, I used to stay up until 1 a.m. just to see the next installment of "Tales From the Darkside." Sitting in my dark, quiet T.V. room downstairs, while everyone else in my family was sleeping upstairs, I used to enjoy every bit of campy yet thought-provoking horror that George Romero had to offer. My favorite episodes are "Seasons of Belief," "The Last Car," "Strange Love," "The Casavin Curse," and "I Can't Help Saying Goodbye." I used to go to school the next morning a little groggy from a lack of sleep, but it was more than worth it.
  • Not the best or the worst horror show out there.

6.9
    Another show with amazing and scary stories that completely fails with its flaky delivery. Only if this poorly made show would have gotten a little better crew and a better budget, it would have been one of the best, sadly, it looks and feels like it was done merely as a filler or to simply fulfill a contract. I am not saying you shouldn't watch this show but if you have watched The Twilight Zone or Tales from the Crypt which are far superior to this show you will sense that you are watching something not comparable to those works of art of the horror genre.
  • What ever happened to spooky but not gross?

This show is truly a classic, it is up there with One Step Beyond and Night Gallery (not Twilight Zone though). Some of the episodes were just flat out corny but the actors seemed so serious, and some actors should have gone back to school. I just love the show, it is a must see and must bring back. My absolute favorite episode has got to be The Devils Advocate. That Mandrake was pure evil, but the one who stole the show for me has got to be the night watchman that hung up in his face. Just good tv.
  • Some hits, some misses, mostly good entertainment

Starting off there are the really good episodes like "Seasons of Belief", "Cutty Black Sow", "Don't Open this Box", etc. And then you have the really poor ones like "...Comes out in a wash", "if the Shoes Fit".

So it's really a mix of the very good and the very bad. So in a way I'm conflicted on how to rate this series. If they had grouped all the better episodes and separated them from the bad then without a doubt this series would totally be up there in the same leagues as the Twilight Zone. But the really good episodes are the real reason that keeps this show from being totally forgettable.

Though I must say there were a few episodes that I felt were not that bad and are under appreciated like "Distant Signals" and "Red Leader", but that's just me.
  • This episode of Tales scared me as a kid. I had nightmares after seeing that one. Anyways, its one of my favorite Tales From The Darkside episodes.

What can I say about Tales From The Darkside? Its always been one of my favorite tv shows. I watch it alot. The concept of this particular episode is of a woman subletting an apartment and there's a telephone that keeps ringing a whole lot.So, as the ringing phone keeps annoying her, she finally goes over to the apartment and goes into the apartment. However when she goes in there, no one's there. She goes back to her apartment and tries to relax. However, the phone starts ringing again and something keeps banging on the wall from the other apartment. She goes into the apartment once again and the phone quits ringing. By the end of the episode, she gets fed up with the phone and goes back into the apartment and answers it. An eerie oporator answers thhe phone and tells her that the last tenant that lives there got strangled by the telephone! She hangs up the phone and rips the cord out of it. However, the phone chases her and strangles her with the cord. Its a really cool episode! One of my top favorites of that show! I once had a black rotory phone that looked like that one. Needless to say it spooked me when I looked at it once in awhile. However it doesn't scare me now, but I remember it scaring me as a kid. The ending is still pretty scary. Its such a great episode. April.
  • Writer can't sell work, can't get paid. Responds to radio ad by an agent who keeps screaming things like "you don't even need talent!" And you don't; you just need to follow a few simple instructions. And never stop, or else . . .

I happened upon this the other night when I couldn't sleep. I remember the series from back in the day, but had never seen this particular episode. The thing I wanted to point out is that they are totally poking fun at L. Ron Hubbard. The agent looks like Hubbard (sorry GameraTrekkie, not Hitchcock) and there's a part where the agent pulls out this box that looks suspiciously like an e-meter, that classic Scientology tool. And what does it measure? How much money the client is going to make for them, natch!

Otherwise, the story is fairly predictable. But dig those crazy 80s getups on the assistant, they were trying very hard to make her look edgy and the effect is fairly hilarious.
  • Tales from the Darkside was a post Twilight Zone/Night Gallery anthology series that delved more towards the side of horror. Even though it was a syndicated series, it had enough good to great episodes to make a lasting impression on the horror landscape.

Tales from the Darkside was a tremendous horror anthology series. Where the Twilight Zone and Outer Limits went towards the sci-fi genre, and Night Gallery was geared more towards suspense, this show was a pioneer in the horror genre. Episodes from George Romero, Robert Bloch, Stephen King, and Clive Barker, just to name a few, contributed stories to the series. Episodes ranged from selling souls, old trickers getting their due on Halloween, Santa's evil neighbor from the North Pole making his way down south, a family trying to convince Grandpa that he did really die, and things coming out of the closet (keep it locked!). Several episodes were on the lighter side, but by and large this was a show that swung for the fences trying to scare you to death. The staying power of the show is on full show, either by watching the repeats of an '80s show on the Sci Fi Channel, or watching the show on DVD, as the first season has just been released. Overall, this was a trailblazing show, taking a risk on a genre that really hadn't been tapped on television at that point. I believe that it made it's mark, and a lasting, favorable one at that.
  • Creepy opening and a good show.

Tales from the Dark Side does not compare to Tales from the Crypt, Alfred Hitchcock Presents,and The Twilight Zone. With all of this said this show is still good, I feel that this show has some good and some bad. When it comes to good the episodes are great , but when bad they are pretty cheesy and mediocre. But this show is good and is most definitely worth a look, one thing that you may not know is this show is actually based off the film Creep Show, one thing even stranger is that Creep Show was inspired by the EC horror comics. Which consisted as Tales from the Crypt, The Vault of Horror, The Haunt of Fear, Crime Suspen Stories, and Shock Suspen Stories. In which would mean that this show was inspired by Tales from the Crypt. As said before a good show worth a shot. But needs much improvement.
  • Sweet show to catch late at night as a kid

This show still rocks, i could watch half hour horror episodes forever. This is just as good as tales from the crypt and twilight zone has it's own vibe. Cant get enough of em, hope someone makes more along these lines in the future. Awesome Show
  • Best 80s show ever

I just got the complete collection I love this show so the episodes are and good