Tales from the Darkside

The Impressionist

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Sep 29, 1985 on

• A man communicates with an alien that the government can not understand.

I personally wasn't impressed with this episode. I suppose that it was interesting, but once again not the best of episodes. It felt a lot like watching E.T. especially the end of the episode. That makes sense since it was especially popular in the 80s. This episode would have been better if it was on a TV series like "Amazing Stories". This is Tales from the Darkside! It is supposed scare people and give them nightmares, not have cute episodes with happy endings that feel like ET. Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed, but it is still a good episode. I suppose.
  • An impressionist tries to communicate with an alien life form.

Sort of a condensed version of "Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind", this is the story of a man's redemption and newfound purpose in life. The impressionist of the title is brought in to communicate with an alien. Obviously lonely and not really able to relate to other human beings (only 'mimicking' them), he finds meaning and purpose in being the first to communicate with another life form. A bit forced and almost corny at times, it is, none-the-less, an uplifting story. When the alien returns to take his new friend away, you just may have a tear in your eye. Sweet.
CHILL