TaleSpin Forums

(ended 1994)

My Opinion on "Plunder & Lightning" Part 1

ScroogeMcNix

[1]Sep 4, 2006
    • level: 6

What is considered to many as the greatest TaleSpin episodes the pilot is indeed very good at times but in my opinion is not the greatest TaleSpin episodes.  Here's a rundown on what I thought were pros and cons of each of the four parts of the memorable pilot.  Here's my opinions of Part 1...

1.  Pros:  The first part does a good job of introducing the main villain of the series Don Karnage and his Air Pirates along with orphan cub Kit Cloudkicker and his new pilot pal Baloo.  karnage and his crew are searching for Kit so they can recover the box Kit stole from then that the pirate stole from world famous tycoon Shere Khan.  Also Louie and his island are introduced well in this episode.  The mystery of the wealthy contents in the box that Kit stole from Don Karnage remain a mystery throughout most of the episode.  It was a great idea not to reveal what the contents of the box looked like until Part 2. 

The artwork and the music were also very good giving it a theatrical feel especially with Baloo singing "I'm Gone" and musical numbers are a staple of Disney's big feature length movies.  Though this TV movie was later split into four parts the pilot episodes don't quite look like the usual big budget Disney movie because it's not.  Part 1 shows the continuation of high quality stories and animation that should remind many of Disney's first big cartoon hit DuckTales!!!

The most interesting part of this episode was when Baloo and Kit were delivering three Gorilla Birds to a zoo but never reached their destination when they crashed in a mysterious jungle thanks to Karnage and his Air Pirates.  The unnamed jungle is a very suitable location for the first air and land adventure for Baloo and Kit.  The confrontation between Karnage and Kit is also memorable leading to Baloo and Kit's escape from the jungle and a classic Sea Duck flight into the sunset followed by To Be Continued... (which is really displayed as to be continued...)  In my opinuion thiis episode would be incomplete without To Be Continued... because it adds so much more anticiaption to leave this episode with a cliffhanger!  I would much rather watch "Plunder & Lightning" as a four parter than as the Tv movie because of the classic cliffhangers!!!   

2.  Cons:  There really aren't many things to dislike in this episode.  The animation seems different and a bit more rough at times than the rest of the series.  That's not really a bad thing because sometimes the rougher animation shows mre emotiona and expression especially with Baloo's face.  I sort of think that the Air Pirates were overused in this episode and instead could have given you more intorduction to Louie and the characters in his bar.  Altogetehr though this is a strong start to the series.  But will part 2 be  stronger or weaker than Part 1???... 

Edited on 09/05/2006 4:33am
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bebop345

[2]Sep 9, 2006
    • level: 37
    the pilot was very good, it didn't drag on and it was interesting all the way.

tone-master21

[3]Sep 14, 2006
    • level: 40
    It one of the best pilots I've seen along with Ducktales "Treasure of the Golden Suns"

ScroogeMcNix

[4]Sep 14, 2006
    tone-master21 wrote:
    It one of the best pilots I've seen along with Ducktales "Treasure of the Golden Suns"
    Certinaly not better or even close to as good as "Treasure of the Golden Suns". Though it too had its flaws but I'm in favor of a well thought out treasure hunt pilot over a Lightning Stone one!  Actually I'll give the emotional impact in fvaor of "Plunder & Lightning"!!! 
    Edited on 09/14/2006 6:37pm

CrunchBandicoot

[5]Sep 17, 2006
    • level: 23
    My personal opinion on Plunder and Lightning was that it kicked ass!

NoOneFanilow

[6]Sep 27, 2006
    • level: 7
    Plunder and Lightning all 4 parts was the best.

bebop345

[7]Sep 28, 2006
    • level: 37
    I agree, thats why it was so enjoyable to watch, because all four parts were interesting.

NoOneFanilow

[8]Sep 29, 2006
    I watched the 4 parter on my dvd the othjer day and it was great. I also watched 3 other episodes later that day. They were time waits for no bear, the balooest of the bluebloods, and the bigger they are, the loudee they oink. That last episode I don't think I ever saw on tv, but it was great. Becky was funny in that episode.

Back to Plunder and Lightning it had great music. The song I'm Gone is my favorite. It is such a great song. Who agrees?

muttley123

[9]Jan 3, 2007
    Yea but Stupid Disney did not put the uncut Tele-movie on the DVD.because one of my favourite songs Home is Where The Heart is they cut that out of the T.V. Show

Muttley1234

tone-master21

[10]Jan 4, 2007

muttley123 wrote:
    Yea but Stupid Disney did not put the uncut Tele-movie on the DVD.because one of my favourite songs Home is Where The Heart is they cut that out of the T.V. Show Muttley1234

Yeah, Disney should have used the uncut pilot episodes for the dvd releases.

NoOneFanilow

[11]Jan 5, 2007
    tone-master21 wrote:

muttley123 wrote:
    Yea but Stupid Disney did not put the uncut Tele-movie on the DVD.because one of my favourite songs Home is Where The Heart is they cut that out of the T.V. Show Muttley1234

Yeah, Disney should have used the uncut pilot episodes for the dvd releases.

I totally agree

muttley123

[12]Jan 5, 2007
    Thank's guy's

Muttley1234

NoOneFanilow

[13]Jan 5, 2007
    yourwelcome!

muttley123

[14]Feb 2, 2007
    Hey I found the totally uncut Telemovie of TaleSpin Plunder and Lighting to download stright to your computer

The Website is www.spinnerstuff.com/pl.htm

Hope that helps

Muttley 1234

oh by the way I download part 2 because it has the song in it.

NoOneFanilow

[15]Feb 2, 2007
    is this the home page or just one page from the site.

tone-master21

[16]Feb 2, 2007

muttley123 wrote:
    Hey I found the totally uncut Telemovie of TaleSpin Plunder and Lighting to download stright to your computer The Website is www.spinnerstuff.com/pl.htm Hope that helps Muttley 1234 oh by the way I download part 2 because it has the song in it.

Thanks for the website I downloaded it to my computer and now I am going to burn it on dvd.

muttley123

[17]Apr 10, 2007
    How do I burn the whole show to a DVD??

tone-master21

[18]Apr 11, 2007
    muttley123 wrote:
    How do I burn the whole show to a DVD??

You need a dvd burner and dvd burning software such as Dvdit or Mydvd.