TaleSpin

My Fair Baloo

Aired Daily 12:00 PM Jan 07, 1991 on

6.9
  • Not the best written episode, but a very entertaining one nonetheless

I personally find this episode a bit of a guilty pleasure. It certainly has it problems, but it definitely has its funny moments. For example, I love the whole set up of Baloo having to be instructed on how to be a gentleman when taking Rebecca to a fancy ball. Even when it appears he's going to be on his best behavior, Baloo still is Baloo when it's all said and done.

Heh, I got such a kick out of the scene where she dragged him by the ear and scolded him good for one of his not so gentleman like moments. Seeing the others eavesdrop while she gave him a good tongue lashing was comedic gold.

I especially loved the part where Baloo told them all to take their clothes off near the end when instructing them how to get back home. That would so not fly in a kid's show nowadays, but it was friggin hilarious. Only Baloo would say something like that with a straight face. XD

Heck, even seeing Baloo and Rebecca bond as the episode progressed was pretty sweet too. Sadly, that's as far as it goes when it comes to its good qualities. Its plotholes and issues were quite large to say the least.

First of all, are you telling me there is no security on that thing? There is no way Owl Capone and his goons should have gotten on that plane that without some deterrence. I mean, this is a ball for the rich. It'd be like no security at Madison Square Garden or the White House. It made zero sense how they just waltzed in there and took over.

Secondly, how in the world did they land at the same place the Spruce Moose crash landed? They bailed out a good minute before it did. That plane should have been a good mile or more ahead. I seriously doubt someone in a parachute could just glide over that much terrain. Heck, they even crash landed on a island, which means there should have been possible wind currents from the ocean blowing them off course. Again, it made zero sense for this to happen. What, they didn't know any other way to fill up another 5 minutes of screentime before Baloo helped them get back home?

And lastly, the way Owl Capone and his goons were apprehended was a little too convenient. Baloo and Rebecca just manage to sneak inside the plane undetected and knock them off the rudder that they just happen to be currently on? Yea, I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS on that. I could maybe buy Baloo sneaking onboard and taking them down one by one from behind when their backs were turned, but there was ZERO REASON for Capone and his goons to be on that rudder Baloo used to knock them off.

This episode ironically is similar to Stuck on You. It has things happen that should not have happened, but did due to plot convenience. And also like Stuck on You, what saved it from being bad in my opinion was the interaction of the main cast. It just had some really funny and heartwarming moments that in-spite of its glaring plotholes, it still is a fun episode to watch.

And that's why I'm giving it a 7 out of 10. One of the top 3 best episodes involving Baloo and Rebecca's relationship.