TaleSpin

(ended 1994)

SrRui

TaleSpin Fan Reviews (17)

• DuckTales revisited.

Ye olde Disney pendulum swings back the other way again.

We started with the archconservative Gummi Bears in a decaying medieval land defending the remnants of memory. Through that idyll punched the tip of Scrooge McD's moneybin and the globetrotting gliz of the go-go Reagan 80s. Chip n' Dale brought a return to the margins and periphery, a care for the small and the forgotten.

And now, with TaleSpin, we swing to the unbridaled capitalism of DuckTales-land.

What's our story? Well, again, the self-made entrepreneur (Scrooge/Cunningham) wants to make money. We take her as the base of analysis, because she, rather than Baloo, provides the dramatic motive force. He's rather just sit on an island with the Sea Duck and chill. She's the dreamer.

And who opposes her? The same forces that opposed Scrooge:

* The monopolist oligarch (Flintheart Glomgold/Shere Kahn) who wants to paralyze the free market.

* The wild and unruly ethnic bandits on the margins who just want to loot and plunder (the Beagle Boys/the Air Pirates).

* The totalitarian Eastern Bloc force that is simply playing by the rules of a totally different game than commodity capitalism (Magica and the Thembrians, of course.)

Yeah.