Teachers Forums

NBC (ended 2006)

Horribly offensive.

actorboy89119

[1]Mar 29, 2006
    • level: 9
    This so called comedy is one of the most offensive things I have seen in my life. All this show is doing, is furthering the negative stereotypes associated with teachers. Teachers are often called lazy because the public doesn't realize that the teachers do do work outside of the classroom and over the summer. There is lesson planning, writing the tests, and grading papers. And teachers also need to create alternative lesson plans in case the original one doesn't work out as planned due to some unexpected obstacle. As an education major I was appalled at the disrespect for teachers. Only a select few teachers go into the field because they are lazy ad then they quickly get out of it. A majority of teachers go into the field for the love of teaching. The "only work from 9 to 3" is utter garbage. Those of you wh feel teachers are lazy, i dare you to go into a classroom and teach, just one day and see what it is like. If this show continues to air, it will lead to even lower respect and lower wages fr teachers who are already being paid peanuts, while pro ball players are being paid millions of dollars for 48 minutes of work. Does this make any sense. Would they put on a show making fun of some minority. Of course not because it would be offensive to them. Well this is offensive to teachers.

Several great shows throughout history were based on life in different jobs, but none of them made fun of the people in the different fields. The Mary Tyler Moore show, depicted life working in a television studio but never made fun of them. Barney Miller depicted life in a police station but never made fun of them. So why should Teachers make fun of teachers. It shouldn't and this show should be immediately taken off the air.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Bygnel

[2]Mar 30, 2006
    • level: 8
    actorboy89119 wrote:
    This so called comedy is one of the most offensive things I have seen in my life. All this show is doing, is furthering the negative stereotypes associated with teachers. Teachers are often called lazy because the public doesn't realize that the teachers do do work outside of the classroom and over the summer. There is lesson planning, writing the tests, and grading papers. And teachers also need to create alternative lesson plans in case the original one doesn't work out as planned due to some unexpected obstacle. As an education major I was appalled at the disrespect for teachers. Only a select few teachers go into the field because they are lazy ad then they quickly get out of it. A majority of teachers go into the field for the love of teaching. The "only work from 9 to 3" is utter garbage. Those of you wh feel teachers are lazy, i dare you to go into a classroom and teach, just one day and see what it is like. If this show continues to air, it will lead to even lower respect and lower wages fr teachers who are already being paid peanuts, while pro ball players are being paid millions of dollars for 48 minutes of work. Does this make any sense. Would they put on a show making fun of some minority. Of course not because it would be offensive to them. Well this is offensive to teachers.

Several great shows throughout history were based on life in different jobs, but none of them made fun of the people in the different fields. The Mary Tyler Moore show, depicted life working in a television studio but never made fun of them. Barney Miller depicted life in a police station but never made fun of them. So why should Teachers make fun of teachers. It shouldn't and this show should be immediately taken off the air.

I work in a school myself along with my wife.. I myself am not a teacher but she is.. Well I sent her your review of the show and this was her reply: "I have been teaching my self for the last 2 years and I know exactly what you are talking about. I work 50-60 hour weeks on average. However, I think you are taking it a little too seriously. It is a sitcom not a drama. A drama would show all the things you are talking about not a comedy. It is just 30 minutes of diversion involving teachers. Besides didn't you hear the last line of the show when the sub says "Your not taking any work home? What kind of teacher are you anyway"."

-ACL-

[3]Mar 30, 2006
    • level: 25
    I completely agree. This is a sitcom, it's supposed to be funny, and at time make fun of people. Only certain portions of the faculty staff in this show were lazy/didn't do work, and like Bygnel said, didn't you hear the last line?

actorboy89119

[4]Mar 30, 2006
    I did not hear the last line because i turned it off after the scene where the teachers were drinking beers in the classroom.

-ACL-

[5]Mar 31, 2006
    That was a little too early to judge then.

alsaker85

[6]Apr 1, 2006
    • level: 11
    Well, then you didn't see the part where he breaks through to a student or hear the little speech he gave to Allice about how much he secretly loves his job.

-ACL-

[7]Apr 1, 2006
    alsaker85 wrote:
    Well, then you didn't see the part where he breaks through to a student or hear the little speech he gave to Allice about how much he secretly loves his job.

That too! Although he clearly didn't watch the entire episode which means he has absolutely no right criticizing it.

kylebryant50

[8]Apr 6, 2006
    • level: 10
    you were lucky, that was one of the worst ideas i have ever seen. There is no way that could ever happen.

CasaHova

[9]Apr 7, 2006
    I have a friend that I know who is a teacher, who loves the show. The drinking is yes out there, but does anyone remember Boston Public? In the first few episodes a teacher fired a gun in class, and that was mild to what else happened in the show. It is not reality TV it is entertainment, while I believe that you should not just air anything, it is not gonna make people hate teachers. It's a show, it's a sitcom, it has a darn laugh track. What do you want Shakespeare, and a morality tale at the end of each episode?

computex

[10]May 1, 2006
    • level: 10
    Oh give me a break actorboy. (Wow what a fitting name.) Get off your high horse.

ramartin25

[11]May 1, 2006
    • level: 16

I agree with several people here, it is a sitcom and isn't real. Plus as much as Jeff acts like he doesn't care he does. Just about every episode he does something for his students. In the episode with the teacher competing with the rich school he believe in a student enough to possible give up a trip to work over the summer. They do care as teachers, but don't alway show it. So just relax and enjoy the show or just don't watch it. You have free will.

Also you may be a good teacher Actorboy, but there are many bad teachers out there. I know from when I was in school not too long ago. I had a Latin teacher that only taught mythology, because he had an engineer degree, another teacher was so bad at Calculus, that he taught, I had to get help from the kids that sat with me to learn anything. As a honor's student, that can hurt your education. For every great teacher, and I had many, there are just as many bad ones.

Edited on 05/01/2006 9:52pm

Dirk13

[12]May 2, 2006

are you serious with this? it doesnt even sound like you watched a whole episode (heck you even admitted it).

plus, if THAT offends you, then you might as well call any occupational sitcom offensive because of its relative innacurate portrayal of the profession, but you dont see those forums filled with people taking it completely too seriously.

would you be so ignorant to beleive that ALL teachers are hard working anyway? you do understand that this DOES take place at a very poor high school, i'd say it's almost unrealistic to see teachers this good and charismatic at such a supposedly dingy school (it is a sitcom after all though, but i guess that concept is absent from your rationale).

the british teacher is the antithesis of a lazy teacher in case you didnt notice as well, again the writing of a sitcom is often meant to point out dichotomies such as this, it isnt non-fiction either, despite your expectations. Perhaps while you major in education you may want to learn a little more about fiction, the comedy of eros, and other thing relating to comedy and script writing that most of us seem to be able to learn just from watching television.

kila177anja12o

[13]May 5, 2006
    • level: 23

It's TV people. It is meant to entertain. If you are looking for realism turn to the news or 20/20. (I'd say look at reality tv, but that isn't actually real) Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I know many have strong feelings from personal experience, but no one should look at a comedy and expect characters to portray actual society. Remember it's TV. It is meant to entertain. If it's infuriating you then you should change the channel. That's just my opinion and I don't mean to offend anyone who feels so strongly about the subject.
    Edited on 05/04/2006 11:17pm

mp34mp

[14]May 6, 2006

alsaker85 wrote:

What a sneaky, sneaky, sneaky cop-out to "save" a crummy pilot.

After watching all 6 episodes, I felt it came out messy, unfocused, and will have little to grasp with.  Every episode was starkingly different.  No consistency whatsoever.

Hendrie's speech near the end was just such cliched fluff.  I hardly felt that kind of connection between the teachers. 

And what's with Justin Bartha?  I've never seen an actor look so comatose in my life. 

We all referred to this show as "that awful Teachers show". 

15shows

[15]May 17, 2006
    • level: 7

actorboy89119 wrote:
    This so called comedy is one of the most offensive things I have seen in my life. All this show is doing, is furthering the negative stereotypes associated with teachers. Teachers are often called lazy because the public doesn't realize that the teachers do do work outside of the classroom and over the summer. There is lesson planning, writing the tests, and grading papers. And teachers also need to create alternative lesson plans in case the original one doesn't work out as planned due to some unexpected obstacle. As an education major I was appalled at the disrespect for teachers. Only a select few teachers go into the field because they are lazy ad then they quickly get out of it. A majority of teachers go into the field for the love of teaching. The "only work from 9 to 3" is utter garbage. Those of you wh feel teachers are lazy, i dare you to go into a classroom and teach, just one day and see what it is like. If this show continues to air, it will lead to even lower respect and lower wages fr teachers who are already being paid peanuts, while pro ball players are being paid millions of dollars for 48 minutes of work. Does this make any sense. Would they put on a show making fun of some minority. Of course not because it would be offensive to them. Well this is offensive to teachers. Several great shows throughout history were based on life in different jobs, but none of them made fun of the people in the different fields. The Mary Tyler Moore show, depicted life working in a television studio but never made fun of them. Barney Miller depicted life in a police station but never made fun of them. So why should Teachers make fun of teachers. It shouldn't and this show should be immediately taken off the air.

Owell its funny. HAHAH when the old guy was making fun of the spanish girl. Thats was great.

seanlyger

[16]May 19, 2006

actorboy89119 wrote:
    This so called comedy is one of the most offensive things I have seen in my life. All this show is doing, is furthering the negative stereotypes associated with teachers. Teachers are often called lazy because the public doesn't realize that the teachers do do work outside of the classroom and over the summer. There is lesson planning, writing the tests, and grading papers. And teachers also need to create alternative lesson plans in case the original one doesn't work out as planned due to some unexpected obstacle. As an education major I was appalled at the disrespect for teachers. Only a select few teachers go into the field because they are lazy ad then they quickly get out of it. A majority of teachers go into the field for the love of teaching. The "only work from 9 to 3" is utter garbage. Those of you wh feel teachers are lazy, i dare you to go into a classroom and teach, just one day and see what it is like. If this show continues to air, it will lead to even lower respect and lower wages fr teachers who are already being paid peanuts, while pro ball players are being paid millions of dollars for 48 minutes of work. Does this make any sense. Would they put on a show making fun of some minority. Of course not because it would be offensive to them. Well this is offensive to teachers. Several great shows throughout history were based on life in different jobs, but none of them made fun of the people in the different fields. The Mary Tyler Moore show, depicted life working in a television studio but never made fun of them. Barney Miller depicted life in a police station but never made fun of them. So why should Teachers make fun of teachers. It shouldn't and this show should be immediately taken off the air.

Need a kleenex?

Duds_2k

[17]May 21, 2006
    If actorboy saw the original version I think he'd explode.