Teamo Supremo

ABC (ended 2004)

vlad45

Teamo Supremo Fan Reviews (31)

5.3
  • I got a bunch of reasons this show doesn't suck, and here's what they are!

In January 2002, I got my hands on the then-semi-recent "House of Mouse" soundtrack CD. I remember taking out the insert and looking through it. In that insert was an ad for some new show about a trio of midgets "coming to save the world" "this January 2002 on Disney's One Saturday Morning". About a day or two later, I happened to catch the series premiere on ABC, not really paying much attention to what was going on, other than the fact that some geeky little boy had recruited two other kids his age to help him prevent a power failure being caused by wax presidents, or something like that. "Bah, sounds like a Powerpuff Girls parody to me," I thought.

Boy, did those little suckers get back at me. Today, I now have every single episode of "Teamo Supremo" there ever was recorded on eight-hour VHS tapes. And yet people still think it sucked, just because Michael Eisner demanded it to be cancelled without even letting it continue to a 65th episode. Christopher Finch's Art of Disney book doesn't even bother mentiong the show in the TV Animation section. "Teamo Supremo" is an underappreciated show, and I have good reasons as to why it's much better than most people think.

There are different types of Disney TV Animation shows. There are the ones that feature new characters made for their own shows, and there are the ones that are spun off from the theatrical films. But somewhere in the late 1990s, Disney's original TV cartoons took a turn for the worse, turning out school-day drivel like "Pepper Ann" and "The Proud Family", giving all the action to the shows that were based on movies. From what I recall, the last original action show Disney had done by then was "Gargoyles". But "Teamo Supremo" marks Disney's first original action-adventure show since "Gargoyles", predating even "Kim Possible". Sure, it's no match for "DuckTales", but considering that I don't like school cartoons like the ones Disney currently wastes their time making, I'd much rather watch two episodes of "Teamo Supremo" than an eight-hour marathon of "The Proud Family".

And contrary to popular belief, the show is not a rip-off of "The Powerpuff Girls". The characters are proof of that, because instead of copying the characteristics of the people of Townsville, Disney actually made thier own characters and gave them different personalities. (Captain) Crandall may not be as comedic as Darkwing Duck. But then again, Darkwing has been known to have an ego problem. Crandall, on the other hand, wants to be a hero because he likes doing the right thing, and isn't that what's important in being a hero? Plus, his voice is provided by Spencer Breslin, which makes Crandall one of the few tweenage cartoon protagonists to not be voiced by a 30something-year-old woman. His two companions, Brenda (Rope Girl) and Hector Corrio (Skate Lad), both voiced by Alanna Ubach, are also well-done characters that Disney hasn't tried before. Plus, Brenda is cute too. Not much can be said about the main trio's family members, but Jean, though living up to the TV stereotype of "older sibling to main character", reminds me of myself somehow. Police Chief Epsilon, who resembles Mr. Spacely of "The Jetsons", is also another addition to my favorite Disney characters. The villains? Well, while much of the show's baddies are frustrated costumed weirdoes with henchmen trios, some of them have the workings of great Disney villains. Baron Blitz, a German-ish dictator who appears to be an alien is a cool villain for being able to make slaves out of statues and animatronics. Another good example is Madam Snake, a mutant with the ability to change into anyone she can disguise herself as. So as you can see, "Teamo" has a good cast.

And another thing - if the show was ripping off Cartoon Network's little fingerless feminists, Teamo's members would be able to do everything the Girls do, such as flying around, shooting lasers from their eyes, breathing ice, speaking Spanish to squirrels, and curling their tongues. But instead, the only superpowers they seem to have is the ones Crandall displays at the end of the show's series finale, which consist of super-strength, leaping great distances, and taking control of enemy fire. I haven't seen the Powerpuff Girls doing that, and even so, it doesn't change the fact that Crandall's really the only one of Teamo with superpowers. And furthermore, if Teamo was PPG as two guys and a girl, Governor Kevin would be calling Teamo up to get his pickle jar open, and would have a sexy secretary whose face is never shown onscreen. And Baron Blitz would be constantly repeating his speeches like he were a children's dictionary. (Oddly enough, though, the water-themed villain Dehydro seems to have that trait.) Besides, even if it's a PPG rip-off, what's the big deal? It's not like Disney has never made ideas stolen from other people before. ("The Lion King", anyone?)

If you ask me, "Teamo Supremo" deserves all the attention it can get. Ever go to the Disney Store sometime? If you do, you've no doubt noticed that about 80% of the merchandise that place has for television shows are for JETIX-airing shows that Disney didn't make. Sheesh! "Teamo"'s far better than the Power Rangers, and yet those stupid live-action, Toon Disney-killing glory hogs get a whole bookshelf of merchandise in those stores. In all my searches, the only "Teamo Supremo" products I've found, not counting articles in children's magazines, were picture puzzles. I understand giving a merchandising line for "Kim Possible", since that's a great show too. But why is it that "The Proud Family" gets its own soundtrack when it's not anywhere as cool as "Teamo Supremo"? I don't see why Disney even bothered showing interest in buying the Power Rangers anyway. Disney created Teamo, and they ignore them to the point that they pretend that they were never around. But let me tell you this - if they released the entire "Teamo Supremo" series in a DVD set (which they probably never will), I'd definitely buy it!

But the #1 reason I watch this show lies in two-thirds of the main characters. Crandall & Brenda make the cutest Disney couple. Ever. 'Nuff said.

Simply put, "Teamo Supremo" should not have been cancelled. That said, why don't you sign my petition to get it back in production?