Teen Titans

Masks

Aired Weekdays 4:30 PM Sep 20, 2003 on Cartoon Network

• Robin's Story Arc just keeps getting more interesting

PLOT: To attempt to find out what Slade has in store for the Titans, Robin creates a fake identity (Red X) to try to gain his trust. But by doing that, he has to go against his team's trust.

An episode that really dives into Robin's mindset. You can tell how torn up he is mentally about Slade, desperately searching for answers throughout the episode. I like how it sets up the relationship between Robin and Starfire, having her confront him about Slade at the beginning of the episode, have her realize who Red X was, and confront him near the end. I agree with the other reviewers... Is Robin really that vital to the them that when he's gone, the entire suffers from it? It's seems a bit overdone. Plus, wasn't it really obvious that Robin was Red X the whole time? I dunno. I predicted it as soon as I saw him.

This seems to be foreshadowing what will happen in the season finale, Apprentice (1 and 2).

Overall, great episode with a few minor problems.
  • Brilliant episode!

This episode was terrific, in my opinion. And I'm not just talking about all the action.

Firstly, Robin is a genius. Even if his plan did not succeed in the end, to pull a move like that requires great cunning and resourcefulness. Yeah, there was the part about not telling the others, but sometimes, you just have to bend the rules to outwit someone like Slade.

Another thing I agree with this episode is the fact that Robin singlehandedly beat all the other titans. It's quite obvious when you come to think of it. He's not their leader for nothing. When you put someone in charge, you don't put that person just because someone has to be in charge. This is just another reason why he's calling the shots. And besides, he knows them very well. How they react in a fight, their moves, their strategies, the way they think. If someone else were to engage the titans without knowing them like that, without seeing them at practice and all, they would not do as well.

The last thing I like about this episode is the similarity between Robin and Slade. It is said that great minds think alike. But does that mean that these two characters are alike as well? Does that mean that Robin has a little bit of evil inside of him? Sure, everyone has both good and evil inside and it's our choices that define us. But Slade's comments come to mind. Robin bended a whole lot of rules to try and trap Slade. Could this be some kind of first step to a darker Robin? (I don't know because I just finished this episode; can't wait to see the next)

All in all, great writting, great story and a lot of action. Keep them coming!!!
  • The Teen Titans are searching for answers about Slade and there is a new villain on the lose. But this villain has a secret.

This episode starts when one of Slade's commandos tries to steal a chip and the Titans stop them in time. They fight for a while and Slade's commandos gets the chip. The Titans go after them and they all spilt up. Starfire catches him and gets shot by one of them. Robin catches up and saves Starfire and catches the commando. They go home and decide to watch some movies and Starfire notices that Robin isn't there and she goes to see what he was doing. Meanwhile, Red X, a new villain was stealing a chip and suddenly disappears after he got it. Then, the Titans catch up with Red X and they get into a battle. Red X takes all of the four Titans down and suddenly disappears. The head back to the Tower and they recover after the battle with Red X. Later that night, the four Titans wake up after a robbery from Red X. They four Titans catch up to him and he then leaves. Red X contacted Slade saying he got the chips and he offered a partnership. Then, the computer turns off and Red X happens to be Robin! Meanwhile, they head back to the Tower and find out where Red X will be attacking. Then, Robin comes and leaves and Starfire goes to his room and discovers that Robin was Red X. Then, Red X and Slade meet up and Slade finds out that Red X is Robin and ambushs him, leaving with the chips. The Titans come and Raven takes control of a robot and throws him while Cyborg catches Red X. Red X starts saying "Stop him!". Starfire comes and says release him. Red X takes off his mask revealing Robin. Robin runs for Slade and they fight. Robin wins and takes Slade's mask off only seeing a message from the real Slade. The Titans head home and Starfire and Robin talk about Slade and Red X. Starfire leaves leaving Robin wondering who Slade is.
  • Decent episode, but yeah, Robin's able to take down the other Titans just like that?

I agree with many of the other reviewers. Robin was able to defeat all the other Titans, really? Okay, he did it in The Apprentice Part 2 as well, but that's because they held back because they knew it was Robin, here they didn't know, and thus should've been able to take him down, but no, he manhadles them. Lame stuff. But let's look past this, the episode is a decent one, the action is stellar and the tone more serious than usual. Slade is a terrific villain, Ron Perlman is the man, without his voice Slade would've been significantly uncooler. Red X is also a cool persona, and I love the suit and weapons. Robin is quite a jerk in the episode, holding out on his friends, I'm glad Starfire said what she did in the end, this is not one of Robin's proudest moments. But he doesn't mean to, he's just obsessive about Slade, the man needs to calm down.

This is a decent episode, I hated that Robin was able to defeat all the Titans without breaking a sweat though.
  • Four titans together can't beat Robin...?

I don't get that. I mean the episode was relaly good itself plot wise. Seeing Slade and watching as Robin drives himself and his friends made like crazy ( practicaly being a workaholic as some sort ). Sigh. But, how the he11 could Robin beat all four of the other titans one on four? First of all, Raven is the only one who could acclomplish that, not that I am biasing her it's the fact with her supernatural powers where she truly has no limit, she could take all of them out ( which is proven in a later episode ). Robin... he's not all that frickin great. So, that's the only thing that I really didn't like about this episode. It practically drove me mad for awhile lol.
  • A new villain on the loose, Red X, attempts to get closer to Slade and win his recognition. This new guy is strong, fast and smug, and he hides a secret.

I always wonder why there are so many villains with weird powers like Puppet King and Mumbo Jumbo, and why they seem to hate the Teen Titans so much. In this episode we have 2 perfectly ordinary villains, Slade and Red X, only X is not a villain, he is Robin. Starfire is pretty smart to know a hologram when she sees one, perhaps there are many such things in Tamaran? Anyway, it certainly goes to show why I dislike Robin so much, but that is actually a compliment. I have never hated Robin so much until now, but I really enjoy the episode.
  • One of the more action-packed episodes... however it shown all the Titans (except Robin) as not so strong (while Raven is practically more powerful then all her friends put together).

PLOT IN SHORT: Robin gets obsessed with catching Slade. During the time he works hard on finding out something about his adversary, other Titans come across a thief named RED X, who turns out to be capable of defeating all of them at once. What\'s more, X is planning to join forces with Slade, which would make the two even more dangerous... but not everything is what it seems...
    Well, there isn\'t much comedy in this one, that\'s for sure... but this is one of the most action-packed episodes in the entire series I believe.
    Robin\'s character is shown nicely in this one (his obsession about Slade especially) and the fights are spectacular.
    The only thing that really buged me in this one was the fact that all the Titans looked kinda pathetic compared to Robin.
  • A revealing episode on Robin\\\'s character, but it really made Raven, Starfire, Cyborg, and Beastboy seem pathetic.

6.4
    First off, I would like to say how revealing the episode is on about Robin as a character. Though he wasn\\\'t very honest with his team, I thought that the whole Red X idea was pretty
    clever. The last moment with Starfire was brilliant. I liked how the episode began to hint at the Robin-Starfire relationship.

The storyline and action were strong as it always is in the series.

However, despite the strong points of the episode, it left me thinking that Robin is the only strong character on the team. Though I do realize that it is a cartoon, I really don\\\'t think that a weak human could possibly defeat four superhumans with minimal effort, even with his tools. As my least favorite character, it was painful seeing that he could effortlessly beat the crap out of all four of his teammates so easily. Raven is able to cast people into other dimensions and Starfire is probably as strong as Superman, so I just don\\\'t see how Robin can just pummel them without breaking a sweat. Unfortlunatly, this is also the case with the rest of the first season and almost made me think that Robin is the only strong titan on the team.

Though the episode does have a strong plot and character development, it seems to make the other titans look so weak, and I am sure many will disagree with me. Otherwise, I would have liked it more, even if it is Robin\\\'s episode.
  • All I have to say is: EXCELLENTE!!!!

This episode was one of the best in the first season. We get our first really good look at Slade, a villian who's alluded the TT's since the beginning. We also see more into Robin as a character. As another person already said, this episode shows who it was who trained Robin, and how that makes him different from his teammates.

We all know that Robin was brought up by Batman, who also has an obsessive, detective nature. A nature he obviously passed on to his ward! This nature, also includes having a dark side, always having to walk (and guard) the line between good and evil, and doing whatever it takes to stop a villian (whether it be the less of 2 evils). It was also funny, how Robin is able to change his clothes while going up stairs and chasing Slade! But obviously, he's had practice! (I mean, he's used to changing his clothes while sliding down a pole!(Batman 60s))

This is all seen in Masks. Red X represents Robin's dark side, the side that is very much like Slade's. I think it was wrong for his his friends to judge him on that. Robin was brought up differently, they have to take the time to understand him.

I myself, figured out who Red X was, slowly through the episode. The frequent dissappearances of Robin, just when Red X was appeared, along with Red X knowing how to take down the other TTs, yet saving Beast Boy's life, coupled with Slade's reapeting comment about patience, which he said to both Robin AND Red X. This also told me that Slade wasn't stupid, he KNEW who Red X was! Probably from the beginning.

All in all, the episode was a good change, a little more dark and adult. Loved it!!!!
  • Really exciting and action packed and just plain good! Robin was slightly stupid though...

Now that was cool. This is the first one that Robin was really the star of. Yes, I will admit, I did figure out very easily who was under the Red X mask. But it was still a nail-biter. I did think Robin was being a complete idiot, but I liked how it dropped a few more hints about a Starfire and Robin more-than-just-friends thing. And I really liked the end when Star told Robin exactly what he needed to hear for being such a moron. I applauded (and still applaud)her. 5 (out of 5) stars.
    My favorite line: "You and Slade are... similar. Slade did not trust you, and you did not trust us." -Starfire
  • This episode was awesome. It wasn't sweet and emotional like "Sisters", or random like "Nevermore". No, this episode was action packed.

When I saw the first bit of part of the episode I thought Red X was probably Robin. But when I saw Robin chasing Red X I was like HUH? What the heck? I was simply impressed about how great and unexpected this episode was.

The ending was part of the key point of this episode. Hearing from Starfire how Robin is so much a like to Slade, must've made him angry even if that wasn't shown.

Just like most episodes in this season, it had superb fighting scenes, superb animation and excellent plot makes this an entertaining episode. It also had a sad ending.

• This episode was GRREEAAT!

As Tony the Tiger would say, yes, this episode was great!

There is a "villian" named Red X out on the loose, or so it was. Is it a real villian? No! It's Robin, but the mystery of the X starts.

Robin, using a new disguise, "Red X" goes undercover and tries to find Slade. But first, he has to go through the Titans, his friends. He gets past Beast Boy, Starfire, Cyborg, and Raven, and then, to fight against Slade.

This episode was very mysterious, foreshadowing, and action packed, it was really great. iDude would give "Masks" a 10.0. "I'm not through with you yet!"
  • Even though this is the first official 'Robin' episode, it still proves to be better than all the others.

This episode show cased some of the best storylines since the episode Sisters. Slade has been the only villian to allude the Titans. This is, of course, annoys Robin to the point of obsession. He becomes so obessesed that he shuts himself away from his friends and takes up a mantle of a new super villian, Red X, just to get closer to Slade. The plan, of course, fells, Slades easily sees past the Red X disguise, and Robin is left with some friends who are extremely pissed with him.

The there was the character Red X. Red X was designed as a way for Robin to get closer to Slade. But in a way, it also symbolized Robin's betrayal of the team. To get closer to Slade, 'Red X' had to steal. This, of course, led to several altercations with the Teen Titans. These were some of the best fight scenes of the series. Red X uses the Titans weaknesses againts, which also increase the betrayal of Robin to the team.

One of the best parts of this episode was how they played out the Starfire/Robin relationship. Starfire was the only Titans was actually worried about Robin. Cyborg and Raven just wanted to leave him alone, and Beastboy just kept going on how Robin is going awall. I also felt it was fitting that Starfire was the one who discovered Robin was Red X. And then at the end, when Starfire confronts Robin. She is extremely hurt about Robin's actions, but Robin is ready to shut her out again, that's when Starfire tells Robin, which hurts him more than anything else, "You're really like Slade."

Overall, this was obviously the episode of the season. This episode sets up the season finale. The story tops Sisters, and it was more dramatic than Nevermore.
  • Robin wants to find out who Slade is planning so he takes a chance and becomes a villan. But he dosn't tell his teamates

This was a great episode i was one of the best. At first I thought it was Robin but then the hallogram(sp) totally threw me off. So it kept me gessing. When Robin fell almost of the building and where he was holdin broke. OMG I was freaking out but the Slade saven him. I was like what.
  • Red X symbolized imperfection. Robin is the leader of the team right, so he has to be the unswerving, perfect member. He definatly screwed his reputation up here. Slade is of course stressing Robin to the extent of obsession and becoming Red X.

Red X's purpose was to get closer to Slade than Robin could. He even had to take down his own teamates and steel for Slade just so he could figure out his plan. Robin messed up by NOT telling his teamates and putting his life and friendship in danger. What really made the episode shine was at the end when Starfire confronted Robin. She basically said "Robin, u disappointed me, u screwed up" and also saying how similar he was to Slade.
  • A great episode, the best episode of Season One, and a runner for the best episode of the series. Need I say more?

This episode was simply outstanding. There's no other way of putting it. The storyline was extremely good, there was excellent character development, and once again, the voice acting and animation were top notch.

We'll start with the story. This episode advances the Slade story of Season One and showed us Slade for the first time. We discover that Slade is looking for these chips, but we don't know what he wants them for. And we semi-discover that Slade has a definite interest in Robin when he saves him from falling to the street below. The story is well done. It doesn't rush us ahead in the episode, but it doesn't keep us at the pace of a turtle, then cram everything in at the end.

The character of Robin is deepened greatly in this episode. We see Robin walk a dangerous line between evil and good, something he regrets later on in the series. We see just how far Robin is willing to go in order to catch Slade and what he'll do to do it. We also see into Starfire when she talks to Robin at the end of the episode. She asks him why and then says that Slade and Robin are similar. "Slade did not trust you and you did nto trust us." That may be the most thought-provoking line in the whole series because it makes you think about how Slade and Robin really are alike.

The voice acting is always excellent with Slade on the show. Ron Perlman does an amazing job as Slade, perfectly capturing the mysterious tone of Slade's voice. He also does Slade's wry sense of humor very well. Hynden Walch does a good job as Starfire, especially in the last scene when she confronts Robin. Scott Menville does Robin very well as he always does. The rest of the voice actors are good, but I would have to say that these three voice actors were the stars of the show.

All in all, an excellent episode. Definitely one of the best. 10/10.