A Teen Wolf Community
Monday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television

Maybe it’s just that I’m from a generation that can actually remember when most of MTV’s programming was dedicated to music, when the now all-but-defunct medium of the music video occupied multi-hour time blocks of primetime, but more than a decade of trashy-but-embarassingly-watchable dating game shows and Britney Spears video marathons has had most viewers questioning whether the network could still fittingly be called Music Television. Don’t mistake this for nostalgia. Its time has passed, and any attempt at resurrecting the music video on television would be little more than a novelty. But MTV has begun back-dooring new and all-around excellent music into their scripted programming. Great music has become a staple feature of a great show. In appreciation, here they are: the ten best music moments in Teen Wolf so far.

10. Dead Man's Bones "Lose Your Soul" — Derek approaches Jackson, Scott panics about his mother's date with Peter in "Co-Captain" (S1ep10)

“I bet you haven’t had a day in your whole life where you haven’t been afraid of something.” Derek’s not wrong. It wins no points for subtlety—a close up of Jackson’s iPod makes sure the viewer knows exactly what’s playing—but this stand-out from duo Ryan Gosling and Zach Shields’ lone studio album, featuring hollow claps and a deep, resounding, rhythmic piano, pretty much embodies “ominous".

9. Fink (feat. Tina Grace) "Hush Now" — Danny and Ethan fool around in "Motel California" (S3ep6)

Teen Wolf has generally favored alternative pop, a grown-up and melodic hybrid of pop and electronica, but Fink’s pop folk gem with the drag and twang of delta blues captures both the danger and sexual magnetism of Danny and Ethan’s increasingly heavy flirtation and the thick, grimy atmosphere of “Motel California”’s Glen Capri Motel itself as well as the episode’s horror predecessors.

8. Graffiti6 "Calm the Storm" — Scott and Allison's first kiss in "Second Chance at First Line" (S1ep2)

The rest of the track languishes a bit because, unlike much of the duo’s debut album, it never shakes up its shuffling pace or breathy croon, but “Second Chance at First Line” wisely sidesteps this problem by snatching only its infectious funk-blues guitar riff and the opening of its sultry melody before the song wears it out. It’s a savory moment that, quite frankly, nails the heady elation of teen romance.

7. Fallulah "I Lay My Head" — Stiles visits Lydia after video store attack in "The Tell" (S1ep5)

On the collective strength of its music “The Tell” may well surpass any other single episode. Scott and Allison’s day skipping school itself alone featured Two Door Cinema Club’s “I Can Talk,” Phantogram’s “Mouthful of Diamonds,” Little Red’s “I Can’t Wait,” Oh Land’s “White Nights,” and Season 1 darling Graffiti6’s “This Man”. But the episode’s stand-out is “I Lay My Head,” the darkly boppy debut single from Danish songstress Fallulah. It captures both Stiles’ romantic plight and the trippy tone of Lydia’s pharmaceutical daze. And, of course, it’s so very notable where her head ends up.

6. Woodkid "Iron" — Scott fights Derek at the ice rink in "Ice Pick" (S2ep3)

It's a soaring percussion and brass epic. It could be an introspective masterpiece, or it could be an audacious and pompous trainwreck. Honestly, it's a little of both, which makes it perfect for Scott's first teeth-bared, claws-out brawl with Derek and his pack. They may be all testosterone and bravado, but the werewolves can't quite find their footing on the ice.

5. Valleys "Hounds" — Isaac insists on coming with Scott for "Mexican" in "Frayed" (S3ep5)

It’s a quietly strong moment in which almost nothing that is meant is said and nothing that is said is meant, even if the boys do end up kind of hungry at the rumble, but Isaac’s softly stubborn insistence on joining Scott for Mexican food knowing full well he’s off to meet Deucalion says more about his mettle and their deepening friendship than any proclamation could. The Valleys’ swirling, otherworldly indie-pop “Hounds” is just the kind of melodic, somber whisper-singing and rich echo of recalling the tense swell to a loss as a memory, or for us as a soft-lensed flashback.

4. Digital Daggers "Bad Intentions" — Allison tricks Erica with a poisoned crossbow dart in "Venomous" (S2ep5)

After silently watching the newly minted sexpot Erica spend chemistry class feeling up her boyfriend and generally threatening to break up their secret (but obvious) relationship, Allison finally comes out on top in this ladies’ power game of cat and mouse. The Digital Daggers’ dark, sly electro-pop cadence in “Bad Intentions” is just what its title suggests, a stealthy paean to a little bit of justifiable malice.

3. Skyler Stonestreet "A Little Taste" — Heather takes Stiles to the wine cellar in "Chaos Rising" (S3ep2)

After two seasons pretending Stiles wouldn’t get any play in high school, we get treated to this little nugget. Unfortunately for Stiles, and even more unfortunately for Heather, there’s a homicidal rogue druid on the loose, but that doesn’t keep their would-have-been tryst in the wine cellar from being any less hypothetically hot. Skyler Stonestreet’s hitchy, flirtatious single “A Little Taste” strikes just the right balance of innocent and naughty.

2. Mikky Ekko "Who Are You, Really?" — Allison first sees Derek as a werewolf in "Co-Captain" (S1ep10)

Teen Wolf capitalizes on a mini-zeitgeist with Mikky Ekko’s eerie, soaring “Who Are You, Really?”. After a few episodes of following Kate’s breadcrumbs, Allison finally gets answers to her suspicions in the form of a shirtless, chained and wolfed-out Derek. As Kate slyly smirks, “Isn’t he beautiful?” Yes ma’am, he is. And Ekko’s wailing pop crescendo is the perfect final surge to the end of excellent episode.

1. Gin Wigmore "Black Sheep" — Lydia returns to school after her naked fugue state in "Shape Shifted" (S2ep2)

If it weren’t for this rebel anthem, Gin Wigmore’s “Kill of the Night” would probably have made this list for its simultaneously raw and sweet sexual appetite from Scott and Allison’s parents-are-away romp in “Omega”. But the rocker kills it here. And if the last two seasons have proved nothing else for Lydia, it’s that Wigmore’s right: “Once you go black, you never go back.” Welcome to the out pack, Lydia!

Poll: Best Music Moment

66 Comments
Comments (61)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Great work! The one song that stuck with me is "Night" by Zola Jesus, which is played in the episode called "Fury" in season 2. It really creates an emotional mood when Allison has read her mother's letter and starts cleaning out her room and preparing for battle.
Flag
Many fine musical moments on teen wolf
Flag
As a self-confessed Soundtrack Geek, I care less about the pop tunes used in the show than the incredible original music composed for the series by Dino Meneghin
Flag
Fallulah, "I Lay My Head", because it seemed to fit the scene so well.
Flag
The Mikko Ekko track and Black Sheep really stand out to me because they weren't just background noise or playing with the emotion of the scene. They were kind of like omniscient narrators of the particular scenes really playing out what what going on with the characters, Alison finding out who she really was and Lydia experiencing being the pariah for once.
Flag
I can only confirm other people's sentiments here; this post is amazing!
Flag
This is an awesome post! Seriously, it was interesting, and the sheer amount of work to have something well written and then include functional links and screen caps. Mad props dude/tte.
Flag
I have to say I loved the update to video killed the raido star
Flag
An excellent and, again in the context of MTV c. 2011, ironic choice.
Flag
I love when Erica walked into the cafeteria and they played the Nikka Costa song "Ching Ching Ching." Still sad they changed it for the DVD but whatever. LOVE the Fink song, too.
Flag
I didn't know they changed that for the DVD. Do you know what it got changed to? I know the practice is particularly common for older shows that preceded the TV-on-DVD era, but I thought most of that contractual copyright stuff got worked out pretty early now in anticipation of the remediation. Is this done often on Teen Wolf?
Flag
oh I noticed another change of music, in season 2 the episode when they are at the secret rave, when Erica and Isaac are dancing with Jackson and Isaac goes to inject him but gets caught. I remember it was a particular kind of house music that caught my attention, and watching on netflix its different and not nearly as good
Flag
I think the song is called "Fever" or something, but here's the video of the scene with the new song from YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdjhdqYeZS4
Flag
I have to say, I didn't really like any of those songs, haha. But I still think there has been a lot of quality songs in Teen Wolf. I just can't think of any right now! :)
Flag
If you end up recalling them, I'd like to know which ones you preferred.
Flag
The We Will Be Killers scenes really stayed with me
Flag
"We Must Be Killers" by Mikky Ekko. It's either at the very end of season one or the very beginning of season two. I'm pretty sure it's in one of the last two episodes of season 1, though.
Flag
Which episode/ scene?
Flag
All of Mikky Echo in the show :D
Flag
Great article! Bad Intentions will always be a favourite just for the sheer epicness of Allison taking Erica down like a true badass. Who are you really was a great moment too (but then TV shows love that song).
Two other songs that stuck out for me were Neon Hitch's Poisoned by love and Oh Land's Sun of a gun, both duing Scott and Allisons make outs I think (can't be bothered to remember which ep exactly).
Flag
Teen Wolf has excellent make-out music, "Poisoned with Love" being an excellent example. Even in addition to the ones I included above, there were also Ida Maria's "Bad Karma" (Lydia and Scott revenge-kiss in Coach's office); "Kill of the Night" (Scott and Allison make out while her parents are away at the beginning of Season 2), which I mentioned above; Flight Facilities' "Crave You" (Lydia kisses JR, which is admittedly creepy in retrospect); Watch the Duck's "Girlfriend" (Lydia makes out with Aiden and is constructively critical about the placement of his hands); Daughter's "Touch" (Jennifer and Derek get heavy); and of Verona's "Better With You" (Lydia and Aiden make out...again).

So, Teen Wolf has good music, and Lydia makes out a lot.
Flag
Poisoned With Love by Neon Hitch was one of my personal favorites from Teen Wolf. It was on S1E4 I believe during a make-out session
Flag
Ahhh Teen Wolf! The music they choose for every scene is incredible. it reminds me of how One Tree Hill was with their music. My Favorite music moment though is Loose Your Soul by Dead Man's Bones My two favorite characters and an amazing scene... Derek and Jackson
Flag
One Tree Hill was always one of my favourite shows when it comes to music. They introduced so much music that I hadn't heard before and it fit so well with all the scenes. I especially liked that song they played when Dan's house burned down. I can't remember what it was called now, because I am a bit intoxicated, haha! :) The music in The OC was also really good the first couple of seasons.
Flag
Wow an article about MTV AND music thats crazy!
Flag
Great post.. I'm going to download all these songs right away... I love the music on teen wolf but I never know what song it is and I forget to look it up later (usually because I'm still tryign ot recover from the shock of the episode...)
Is there some website where all the songs from the show are listed?
Flag
Most of the songs on the show are listed on MTV's website. Here. It also has several free downloads of featured artists, so it's always worth a check.
Flag
Thank you so much for that link! That is awesome. Will go through and have a listen at some point. I love discovering new music!
Flag
Thanks a lot! I am googling songs like mad everytime I watch an episode of TW, and I didn't think of just going on MTV's website... fail...
Flag
thanks... going right now to check it out...
Flag
MTV still plays music videos during the night and into the early morning.
Flag
Should add Passion Pit's cover of "Tonight, Tonight" by the Smashing Pumpkins at the beginning of S1E2 (I think)...
Flag
That was the episode opening with Scott's school bus "dream," right? Was that S1ep3 maybe? I remember that scene, but honestly, I was a little disappointed by that cover. I really like Passion Pit, but "Tonight, Tonight" seemed hollow and unimpressive for them.
Flag
I understand your opinion... it wasn't the best cover but I was just happy to hear it because I love that song. I am a big Smashing Pumpkins fan and I like Passion Pit too.
Flag
Excellent post! Digital Daggers was an incredible song and was paired with an even more incredible scene (Team Alison Argent FEEL IT). One of my unlisted top musical moments was 'Kick out the epic MotherFucker" by Dada Life, which plays when Scott and Jackson are fighting in the guys locker room.
Flag
I love that scene! There was a lot of fight and dance music..and lots of walking/talking in the school hallway music...particularly in Season 2, that I really liked, but I chose not include because it seemed less integral to the story in that moment. For instance, I also didn't include any Marianas Trench or Deadmau5. And lacrosse music. And shopping/clothes montage music, though I suspect you have to work in your product placements somehow.
Flag
Great list, although I just wanted to add At Home by Crystal Fighters which was the ending song for season 2's finale. Great tune and definitely made me feel a lot more comfortable and relaxed after they fought Gerard and the Kanima in Season 2.

Flag
I downloaded Mikky Ekko, because of its use in Teen Wolf. It was also used in the credits of a recent True Blood episode.
Flag
I think it made appearances on a few CW shows as well. There was a span of 6 months or so when that song seemed to be EVERYWHERE. It's one of those songs though, like most of Mikky Ekko's actually, that I like better the more I hear it.
Flag
Who are you really has been used massively on TV, it's one of those songs TV shows love, like Massive Attack's Paradise Circus. Love the songs, but at some point it annoys me a little when they're used too much. I kinda like being able to associate them with one show/moment.
Flag
Staff
Woah, fantastic post! We loved it so much that we promoted it to the homepage - it's up there right now! More users deserve to see such an awesome story!
Flag
Staff
I love this! I think Teen Wolf uses music better than most shows, which is at least in part because it's on MTV, but I've never actually paid attention to the artists or bands used for some reason. This makes me want to go back and pay closer attention. I especially like number one.
Flag
Great job. This is how I feel about this list.

Flag
EVeryone has to love the surfin usa scene
Flag
these waves are mine.

Flag
Yup the best scene of the movie although I like when Stiles is on top and almost falls
Flag
Poll: Best Music Moments
For some reason my poll isn't appearing in the story.
Flag
We're taking a look now to see if we can help!
Flag
Thanks so much.
Flag
Quick question - what browser did you use to create the poll? We're working on some issues in Firefox in particular.

We tried to save your original poll for you, but had to re-create it. Is it correct?
Flag
I did use Firefox. And it's not exactly the same, but it's perfectly acceptable. Thanks for fixing it.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members