A Teen Wolf Community
Monday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television

So this show is actually good? I always thought it was a show for teenage girls or something. Kinda like most CW shows.. (Yeah I always have prejudices about shows that I don't really know, don't sue me..)

But since the Teen Wolf community is the number 1 community on this site, and I've read a lot of positive things from other members on this site, maybe I should give this show a chance. I searched a trailer for the 1st season and tbh I didn't like it. The trailer gives me the same impression I always had.. So maybe some of you want to do a little effort to convince me of this show..?

29 Comments
Comments (29)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Honestly, it doesn't become the awesome show it is today until season 2. Don't get me wrong, I like season 1, but it just has a different vibe. That said, season 1 has one of my favorite episodes of the series (episode 7, "Night School"). If you can get to season 2--which really isn't that hard--you're in for some serious fun. And season 3 is even better, in my opinion. Jeff Davis, the executive producer, is an evil genius and I adore him.
Flag
Let me tell you that the trailer for Teen Wolf sucks..in comparison to the show. Even when you watch the first episode..you still get.. a campy vibe...

But it is not campy... this show has grown leaps and bounds.. in its storytelling and its characters.

WATCH IT..and don't equate it to the original movies :)
Flag
Look, watch the first 3 episodes. If you're not hooked by then, and Price's recaps haven't won you over, then it's not for you.

I didn't give this show a chance until just before season 2 premiered, and now it's the only reason I look forward Monday nights.
Flag
So, Teen wolf is the pure definition of a thriller. Jeff Davis has a certain pattern implemented in each season that you will unconsciously become aware of as you watch more and more episodes. First many things, seemingly unrelated happen, and there's just strings of a gigantic web far apart and only loosely connected, but as the season progresses, everything starts coming together. And that is when you truly get to enjoy the show, when all the material blends into one final piece. That is why, probably in each comment, everyone tells you to watch more than the first few episodes, because you will not be impressed by the first few episodes apart from the curiosity they will bring. I hope you do give it a try, and feel free to reply with your own interpretation of TW if/once you do.
Flag
3 words:
DYLAN FRICKEN O'BRIEN.
And not only is he best character amd the best actor, I would say that he is a lot like Xander from Buffy the Vampire Slayer because he is funny, loyal, has serious moments, not one of the popular kids at school and he is the human element and imho the modt relatable.
And it can be pretty scary, but dont take all the effects too seriously it doesnt have the same budget as something like Under the Dome or a Michael Bay film.

Give it a go but watch more than the first season, season 3 has been amazing but we all of us who have taken our time to comment hsvent convinced you then its your loss.
Flag
I had my doubts before I watched this show as the movie "Teen Wolf" looked too goofy to me and I thought a TV show would be the same. And it was on MTV. Sure there is a lot of romance between Scott and Allison, but that is only a small part of the story. In season one there is a scary alpha wolf after Scott, and Scott and Derek and the werewolf hunters try to figure out who it is.

I also like:

1. how the parents are a big part of the picture and actually parent their kids.

2. Strong women: ex. Allison's mom asking Scott (while she is sharpening pencils to the nub and coldly staring at him) are you having sex with my daughter.

3. The humor (especially Stiles plus the other characters) is balanced with the dark stuff

4. Just enough mysteries are weaved in that it really keeps you guessing for awhile.

5. how the characters mature over the seasons. Scott goes from hating being a werewolf to being a great leader

6. just because it is a show about teenagers, doesn't mean only teenagers will like it. I think it appeals to a lot of different age groups.

7. Scott gets pretty creepy and scary when he gets affected by the full moon (before he gets a handle on it)

8. The characters are not one-dimensional and you really care what happens to them.

9. Lastly, the well toned bodies of the guys. Whohoo!!
Check it out!
More+
Flag
I started watching this show JUST so i could read Price's Recaps, and then well....i fell in love :D, each episode builds on top of the episode before it, and that is such a hard thing for a series to maintain but teen wolf does it!
Flag
Um...if Price can't convince you, it's not the show for you.
Flag
Reasons I watch Teen Wolf:
  1. When it comes to summer television the bar is significantly lower.
  2. Price's photo recaps (the only reason I lasted through the first season).
  3. A female lead on a supernatural show who manages to occasionally make decisions that have nothing to do with love triangles.
  4. Dylan O'Brien is a delight.
  5. It gets so insane at times that you really have no idea what will happen next, which is something that can't be said for many shows.
Flag
I can see why you might think that. I feel like shows about wolves/vampires seem to give a Twilight vibe. No worries, I can tell you right now that this is not one of those shows. Teen Wolf has a mixture of different elements. Mystery is a big part, as well as comedy, drama, and of course, romance. Honestly, most of the females I know are scared of this show, haha. I think you should give it a chance.
Flag
Its one of the best summer weekday shows. Its full of humor, has supernatural elements to it (obviously) and the cast has good chemistry. The acting is decent (at times quite good)
Nearest comparison would be Buffy's first couple of seasons.
As long as you just dont take it too seriously, you will be able to have some fun discussions in the comments.
One of the hot topics this year has been fisting.
NAME ME ONE OTHER SHOW WITH COMMENT THREADS ABOUT FISTING
Season 1 is a bit lackluster, but you only need to watch it to get a feel for the core characters, and it has improved since then.
I particularly like to insult the main character in my comments, because they sometimes make him do silly things to progress the plot, but he is actually likeable, and his relationships are well written and acted.
Its also better than the network stuff in its timeslot - better than Under the Dome imo.
Did i mention the fisting?

Flag
That.
Flag
fistbump
Flag
I had the same reservations about the show as you. I came into it a little late -- I didn't watch season 1 as it aired (I had to catch up with downloads) -- but I gave it a shot based on the love I saw commenters give it here during season 2 and I found/find it very entertaining.

To be honest, I'll probably never consider it a great show. Great shows to me are the ones I can take dead-seriously and still find enjoyment in... Breaking Bad, Justified, Game of Thrones, and Sherlock come to mind, as do the early seasons of Dexter. Especially a show like The Wire.

But in my opinion, Teen Wolf is a really fun show if you don't take it too seriously. As in... there's quite a bit of CW-type drama -- what some would call teen drama -- and the writing overall is the kind pretentious film professors would mostly ignore. But especially after the first season, the writers know what the show's strengths are and they get creative and play around with them to provide some really fun (often silly) entertainment. It's really a perfect kind of show for a guy like Price to photo-cap. In some ways, I'd say it's the kind of show that if it had taken one wrong turn somewhere in the creative process, it could be a terrible terrible show -- especially with its overly dramatic writing and acting -- but instead, I think the creator and writers took advantage of its strengths (the biggest strength might be the quality of the characters) and uses overly dramatic writing and acting to make it fun and enjoyable and awesome and hilarious.
More+
Flag
Well I want to thank all of you who did the effort to give me some more information about this show. I always appreciate the opinion of tv fans more than the opinion of critics. So from what I picked up from most of you, is that I will probably don't like the 1st season very much. But as most of you say, the show gets less girly and more darker as the show progress. So for now I will add TW to my "still to watch list". I still have a few shows that I need to finish first and when I watch a few episodes I'll let you all know what I think about TW. Thanks again for all the quick responses!
Flag
Let me be clear about this: Teen Wolf is a supernatural creature drama and most of the core characters are teenagers. It's a rather shrewd and surprisingly intelligent rendition of a common trope: high school is a horror movie. It's an excellent blend of real horror and coming-of-age drama with refreshingly healthy self-awareness and humor. Think of it as werewolf horror gem Ginger Snaps with a Buffy sensibility. Its storytelling is swiftly paced, its characters refreshingly nuanced variations on high school stereotypes, and its plotting unafraid to swing for the fences in bat-crap craziness. However, if this premise still holds no appeal for you, quality television or not, you're probably not going to connect with it.

(If you choose to try it, I would suggest giving it until Season 1, episode 7 "Night School". I enjoyed Teen Wolf from the beginning, but some of my friends, who have since become fervent fans of the show, think it starts a little slowly. "Night School," however, is a mini horror movie, still one of the best episodes so far, and an excellent litmus test for whether you should keep going.)

A (mostly) short list of things Teen Wolf does really well:

1. It's central characters are teenagers, and they act them. Protagonist Scott is well-meaning but sometimes whiny and self-absorbed, and his romance with Allison is (at least in his mind) as overwrought as high-school love is wont to seem when you're 16. However, the show also doesn't pander to its teenage perspective. It takes them seriously from the beginning, but it allows them to mature, and as the seasons progress, they
gradually become recognizably adult. Also, teenagers or not, Tyler Posey and Crystal Reed generate considerable heat as love interests, which should not be taken for granted in the swill of mostly sterile high-school dramas currently or recently on television.

2. As tv.com recap/reviewer Price Peterson has often elaborated, Teen Wolf embraces an optimistically prescient portrayal of gay characters and culture, including a popular and openly gay student, no perceptible homophobia even (or perhaps especially) in the locker room, and comfortable pseudo-flirtation among straight characters. It, quite frankly, is just no big deal, and as such it is, as Mr. Peterson has said, kind of important.

3. Dylan O'Brien. He's Scott's best friend Stiles, very liberally adapted from the original Michael J. Fox movie franchise. He's both the show's best character and its best actor.

4. When it does horror, it does it really well. Several episodes, including "Night School" (mentioned above) from Season 1 and recently "Motel California" from Season 3, are basically hour-long horror movies. Teen Wolf doesn't shy away from the clichés, but it makes them feel fresh.
More+
Flag
Bonus brownie points for cogency - do not agree with your first paragraph entirely, but your four specific points in favor are nicely posited.
Flag
It has its pros and cons. The romance gets annoying and eye rolling, but the storylines do progressively grow and become more complex. I would say watch the first season and see if you like it or not. If you're still on the fence you could watch season 2. The supporting cast is very likeable. The main characters parents are understanding and relatable still you invested in their kids and have a good idea what the kids are into like real parents.
Flag
Reasons why you should watch this show?

Let's see:

Season 1 - Plotline is only okay. Characters on the other hand are very fully molded. Background, aspirations,
desires, dislikes, pet peeves, even medical conditions become touched on. Characters are fully dimensional (the main ones, at the very least) with little room for confusion or doubt about their personality.

Furthermore, THIS IS NOT LIKE TWILIGHT. AT ALL. Do not even compare the plot, do not say that only women watch it. In addition, teenage romance dipped in angst is the only focus (unfortunately, there is still some in Season 1, but all disappears in Season 2)

Wolves here are actually dangerous and threatening (have you seen full alpha Peter?)
. Not puppies that mope over unrequited love.

Season 2 - More awesome characters, and the plot becomes insanely awesome. Both creepy thrills and action thrills are blended for a well-made seasoning over an already exceptional plot. Note: Romance is no longer even a cliche of angst-tinged, hormone-crazed stupidity. You can actually bear seeing the main love interests interact on-screen.

Last but not least, the characters are relatable on a shockingly-wide spectrum of individuals. It's a GUARANTEE you will be attached to at least one character (damn you Stiles and Season 2 Uncle Hale!!!)

Season 3 - The kick-ass emotional ride has just begun. I can't fully judge it yet, but based on the first few episodes, I'm already hooked.
More+
Flag
Based on what you like, what you post about and the ratings you give some things, not sure you could be convinced. You will likely find Season 1 a bit too teen girl angstsy but it's not really worse than S1's Sookie Needs A Man angst in True Blood, a show you like (just a bit more visual), and it actually has SOME plot purpose, as you'll discovery, especially leading on to S2. I have my issues with some of the writing in say SHERLOCK and definitely think a lot of TRUE BLOOD S2 and S3 (not even paying attention to anything after that) was downright boneheaded, so as far as writing/plot, I would say that if you want DEXTER level plotting and writing, you're not going to get it. It won't be as complex as SHERLOCK can be, but we're comparing six episodes of that show (two seasons) to a show that has twice as many episodes in one.

If you like character driven shows, then the people in TW match up with GOT. There is no one character that compares to SHERLOCK and no actor as gifted as BC is on that show currently appearing on TW, but the characterizations are generally solid.

You can watch the show on Netflix, so if you have access to that and are already paying for it, I say check it out.

OTOH, even the shows I really like (for example, we share BIG BANG THEORY), I don't give shows 9's and 10's like you do.
More +
Flag
Yeah I know that I am kinda generous with my ratings on this site. Guess I was in a good mood the day I gave most of those ratings..
Flag
typo: "In addition, teenage romance dipped in angst is NOT the only focus"
Flag
Well, if we're noting our own typos, I meant "discover" and NOT discovery.

Still wish this site had an edit function!
Flag
I know, I had hoped a necessity like that would already be on the site.
Flag
I am 36 well educated and my absolutely favorite show is Person of Interest and I love this show. First what is clear is is that Jeff Davis is a student of the Whedon school of dealing with teens and the supernatural. It is basically a coming of age story. Then it decided it was going to go fantasy level of detail about its mythology. Then here in this community everyone is actually very nice to each other and randomly I think everyone does like homework to be able to add more to discussion. Then Stiles is a fun character the parents and adults aren't idiots (though maybe that is Derek's problem) Scott and Allison aren't an annoying teenage romantic duo. The girls aren't damsels in distress (Allison is actually scarier than most of the werewolves). And it is fun because the show likes to acknowledge that we exist and our points of discussion...just in the past two weeks...Lydia you are something! How old are you...I'll drop it...
Flag
I started watching it expecting camp, rather ridiculous fun and lots of pretty, and I got it, but I also got a surprisingly intelligent and intriguing plot, characters who I actually liked and after about 2 episodes, it became an addiction.

I'll admit that in S1 you have to try to avoid concentrating on the main romance storyline as much as you can, but as you continue watching it gets less teen girl and more actual supernatural drama. It gets really dark in some places and it really hits its stride in season 2.
Flag
I agree, TW isn't afraid to get bloody, the show isn't "nice" it have it "nice" moment's and it have it's "dark" and Bloody moments, so it's actually really good, not just teen drama but murders and dead bodies and all what your heart's desires in a dark drama
@MarianaO, i flagged your comment - sorry
Flag
It's okay... I don't think I put in anything that they'll take it down for. :) But yeah, it's not afraid to go really dark, especially if you think about it. Some of it's more fridge chilling. Looking back on S2 and Lydia's storyline creeps me the hell out.
Flag
Watch an episode or two, it's the best way to know.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members