A Teen Wolf Community
Monday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television

I mean I find any kind of witchcraft quite boring, examples: Bonnie from TVD and the whole plot that had actual witchcraft in in the Secret Circle, also every time Supernatural has tried do the witchy thing. Charmed was okay but I find it was still monster-based, as was Buffy or maybe it was the novelty of them that I liked at the time. But now it has been done so many times that it is rare that it is done with style and enough imagination to make it feel new. It is difficult to make magic or whatever interesting and cool. Also I think that it has restrictions as you can´t make witches seem too powerful because then they would be basically omnipotent and the believability would go down the drains. I mean in theory an all-powerful witch should be unbeatable right? Have a spell or whatnot against anything? You shouldn´t be able to even fight them. But if you make them weaker than that then it is boring as hell. And lame. Boring and lame. Do you have any good examples when witches and magic and the sorts have been a good idea in a tv show?

Comments (12)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I assume they picked druids because other than Merlin - and those druids played a small role, just another set of magical beings amongst numerous magical beings - no other supernatural TV shows have really showcased them.

The writers have said they weren't going to have vampires, and as absurd as the whole Kanima plot line was, you can credit them for the fact that there were no Wikipedia entries (or any other kind of interweb entries) on any such mythical creature before TW.

Charmed didn't even follow their own logic. Neither did Merlin, which is why I stopped watching it regularly (he's the most powerful magical being of that time and yet he got regularly wrapped up by all these other things? Only because they needed to fill X number of episodes a season, sigh).

Supernatural means that there's something extra natural - so TW already starts with that. Magic is just another aspect of it, and I really would have preferred if they kept it to the whole idea of people not being magical but that things in reality (such as mountain ash) could have magical properties with the right intent and belief.

But then THIS SHOW had to EFF that up with psycho Killer Alphas knowing someone was immune, biting them to create this psychic dream bond that would survive death and control the bitten, in order to be magical resurrected, as well as butterflies that can trap and transport you and wine bottles that break themselves and all this other crap.
More+
Flag
I have always thought they went way too far with witch craft = magic. If they actually followed a formula along the lines of The Craft, it might work better. I mean, Sarah was the exception there that she could do real magic on her own. But they could each do spells that required them to do something, say some curse, do something which was better than just Bonnie closing her eyes. They also, very much like the wolves on Teen Wolf, needed a coven to be able to call corners and associate with the particular elements. Like early Charmed episodes did this too, they were all very limited unless they were together and had one magical power. But getting back to the Craft, there were consequences to magic which is also something that would work well in the world of Teen Wolf. Heck, even with this storyline, while I don't buy this, a kid gets into the Druid religion but then starts playing with some of the sorcery that is associated with it and starts using it for selfish purposes, it comes back to him three fold, he now is this horribly deformed thing who is trying something else to get back to what he was...
More+
Flag
Yeah having consequences using magic might work, that would be cool. Like in TVD the magic ring that brought people back from life. It would definitely raise the stakes
Flag
I quite liked the magic in the TV Show "Merlin" but I don't know if you could call his powers witchy.
The idea of Druids is intriguing. I never saw them as all powerful, they need basic knowledge and a lot of training to practice Magic (and normally they don't practice Magic by themselves). It doesn't happen with the flick of a wand. We just need to wait what kind of mythology TW is building around their druids. They pulled off the Kanima, in any other show a creature like that would have been totally ridiculous.
So I'm pretty confident, that I'll like TW's take on this supernatural theme.
Flag
The entire Kanima is a werewolf that's not quite a werewolf, but unlike a new beta or even a born werewolf, the kanima is stronger, can be shot a bazillion times and just gets up, can't be restrained like a werewolf so it can basically break out of anything, can paralyze other supernatural creatures and is faster than a warewolf. That kanima? That's the one this show pulled off?
Flag
Yeaaah Merlin was entertaining even though extremely ridiculous at times. But then again Teen Wolf falls into the same category.
Flag
Like just about every major plot idea in Teen Wolf, a druid-gone-bad sounds like a terrible idea, but this show has pulled off even more ridiculous ideas with phenomenal aplomb. Thanks to its consistently high writing quality, I give Teen Wolf the benefit of the doubt.

So far (four episodes in), the magic seems entirely compatible with the brand of monster supernaturalism in the show's previous two seasons. Peter's resurrection is undoubtedly magic, Lydia's werewolf immunity highly unnatural within the rules of werewolfism, and the effectiveness of mountain ash as a werewolf repellent entirely dependent on its magical properties as well as the characters' belief in its magical properties. Not knowing yet the motivation for these sacrifices, it's difficult to say, but the murders themselves are ritualistic but betray no actual magic themselves. I'm fully willing to believe, whether or not I end up liking this plot line, that the boundaries of magical power are very well defined.
Flag
All good points (:
Flag
I kinda have to say, this feels pretty new to me. I mean... It's not just witchcraft. It's friggin' druids?! I mean, I don't know who the writers of Teen Wolf are, but they must be on some kind of acid trip in the writing room when coming up with this shit. It's hilarious!
And generally, I can't say I'm opposed to witchcraft. You have to understand: it's the characters who need to be important on their own, with the witchcraft adding something to it. Like in Charmed, the characters were three sisters with lives, jobs, boyfriends etc. And they also happened to be witches, but that was simply not their defining characteristic. When you look at Bonnie from TVD... Well, I can't stand her either. Because she's simply not much else, but a witch. Which makes for an incredibly zzzzzzzzz... Can't finish that sentence because I fell asleep whilst typing, sorry.
Generally, there's nothing wrong with witchcraft on shows, I definitely like it. As long as you got your characters all set up. If not, the "zzzz" will no doubt strike again!
Flag
i hate Bonnie on TVD but i think its the character not the whole witchiness of it. See Charmed and Buffy were both amazing shows and the charcters came first as opposed to the magic or monsters. I think Teen Wolf having already established a magical or mythical realm by hacing werewolves and kanimas as such can pull it off. Of course there has to be a limit to the witch's power, but also make them a viable threat.
Flag
Bewitched
Flag
I know what you mean but if there is a show that could make witches cool it's Teen Wolf.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members