We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Teen Wolf Community
Monday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television

Ever since season 2 finale and the focus on the color of the "Wolfen eye" (LOL), a lot of chitter-chatter had been in circulation. Obvious choice was, the fans associating colors with the state of a Wolfenkind -

Red - Alphas

Gold - Betas

Blue - Omegas.

But then Mr. Jeff denied such and said it would be studied upon in S03. With Scott eyes turning red for few seconds, we are again on the topic. So hear me out,

I think the color has to do with the emotion and power of a Wolfkin

An alpha has to keep other betas in line and has to be focused and has to have high adrenaline. Rage Power... perhaps it manifests in red color. Downside - You're real angry! Clarity of mind and decisions are questionable - e.g Old Peter, Derek and New Alphas!

A beta on the other hand only has to follow. Normal state of werewolf sanity. Ooo shiny gold! :P

Scott lost his alpha when Peter died, he's alive now but no longer is an alpha. If blue eyes truly meant an omega, Scott would've shown it ever since S01. It wasn't so, he had a purpose and teen life to live. He is now becoming a leader... red-shift anyone?

Blue eyes in my present belief hold the place of emotional clarity and peace of mind. Jackson was revived a wolfenkind at an peaceful/regret-free state of mind, hence the blue tints.

PS: If you look carefully, Peter though not shown ever once in wolf-form manifested blue eyes when he probed Isaac's mind for the whereabouts of Boyd and Erica. He could be in peace now or has a carefree attitude.

OR

Blue are the eyes of Undead/revived wolves!

OR

Maybe it means nothing at all! Any thoughts?

Comments (18)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Red - Alpha (replaces any type of eye color you have)
Yellow - Normal Beta (omegas have this too, I believe)
Blue - Wolf who has taken an innocent life and is not an alpha.

Scott's eye color changes because he is a "true alpha".

Yellow to Red, possibly signifying a shift from beta to alpha.

Now, here's what i think.

Black - I theorize that this has something to do with either Deuchalion (he calls himself Demon Wolf.) or a form of wolf shape shifter (like the Kanima, Talia's rare shifting, or Peter Hale's full Alpha wolf form).

Flag
So we finally find out what blue eyes mean and now there will apparently be black eyes too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi_MJTLRwsc&feature=player_embedded

I noticed a crackling type sound when you see the black eye in the video, not sure what black means - any ideas?
Flag
Community architecture is a bit faulty? Edit option is not working... :|
So yeah edit:
Love TW for embracing fandom and then throwing in completely new infos. :D
Blue isn't for innocence as much is the loss of innocence, the sin of murder. :O
Flag
I read somewhere that blue eyed werewolves were those who had experienced personal loss. As Jackson was adopted, we can suppose his birth parents have died, and we know Derek and Peter lost their family... But then why are Cora's and Isaac's eyes golden?
In my opinion, blue eyes means the wolf has "personal demons": being a Kanima must have messed up Jackson, Derek seems to be in constant turmoil, and Peter came back from the dead....
Flag
We're supposed to find out in episode 8. I personally have no idea.
Flag
My theory is (or at least it is now, I have at various points had all of the previous theories) is that whether bitten or born, wolves have either gold or blue eyes. But, as Derek once said, a werewolf can be an Alpha and fall to an Omega etc. This leads me to think that in order to have a firm pack, that among the Betas, there must be some that have the ability to become Alphas just on their own and then there are those who would have to take it (by killing an Alpha) so there are more than just one pack and werewolves can, you know, procreate. I think the blue eyed werewolves are the ones meant to be either a) the lone wolf in a family/pack or b) meant to remain as Betas without naturally becoming Alphas. They can kill and become them (like Peter and Derek) but, well, they will not take on the power naturally and kind of suck at it (and likely what is wrong with half of these Alphas). Those with yellow eyes can become Alphas through the natural growth of leadership and independence and the formation of a chosen pack. It is not automatic, but that can be the path they are on. I would guess Derek and Peter are both middle children and Laura was clearly her mother's daughter and simply grew into an Alpha role (she didn't kill her mother). But that would explain Scott's confusion and refusal, luckily it will now just be confusion because he has now seen it (though I am going to guess he blames the wolfsbane, mentions it to Stiles who similarly shrugs it off, and then Stiles mentions it to Alison who says, well, during the fight....and our humans go running after wherever Scott has gone, either to save Deaton or fight Deucalion it appears from the previews).
More+
Flag
So this was wrong...and the real explanation seems totally reasonable and like it totally makes sense.
Flag
What's the real explanation? Is it up somewhere?
Flag
Sorry if this is redundant or you already figured it out for yourself (I never saw this notification), all werewolves initially have gold eyes. Only upon the taking of an innocent life does a werewolves' life turn to blue (this is according to Peter's recounting of how Derek got blue eyes - of course, they built in an out there that Peter was an unreliable narrator and either was busy painting himself as the hero or outright lying based on what we actually saw).
Flag
I *think* it has to do with whether or not werewolf blood is in your family. If you have a biological connection your eyes turn blue, if you're turned by an alpha they are gold and obviously, red is red.
Flag
I agree that red indicates an Alpha and as for blue and gold I initially thought it was to do with their natural/human eye colour i.e. blue human eyes =blue wolf eyes and brown human eyes = gold wolf eyes. This seems to hold true for most characters except for Isaac who has gold eyes instead of blue.

Another theory I had was that blue indicates their potential to turn into something other than just the standard werewolf. For example; Jackson - Kanima and Peter used to turn into that huge CGI wolf instead of a normal werewolf. This just leaves Derek who hasn't turned into anything other than a normal alpha so far. The credits for season 3 show an actual wolf in the background and I've heard rumours/speculation that someone may turn into an actual wolf this season so maybe it's Derek?
Flag
Wolf-eye recap:

Red: Peter (Season 1), Derek (after becoming alpha in Season 1 finale), Aiden, Ethan, Kali, Ennis, Deucalion, Scott (briefly in alpha showdown)

Blue: Derek (Season 1), Peter (Season 3), Jackson

Gold: Scott, homeless omega, Isaac, Erica, Boyd, Mrs. Argent, Cora

As @anbis82 states, red certainly indicates an alpha. Derek's eyes change immediately as he announces his status, it's a consistent color among the alpha pack, and Scott's brief change is undoubtedly designed as a glimpse of alpha-ness, whatever that means and however it is achieved.

For a while it seemed the blue/gold distribution among the others was an indication of birth/bite transformation. But...Cora Hale's eyes are gold, and surely she'd have been born a wolf. We can't know the status of the unfortunate omega in S2ep1. Jackson's eyes are blue, though Jeff Davis has suggested in some interviews that the arrival of the alpha pack in Season 3 has something to do with the Kanima and Jackson's birth parents.
Flag
Cora could've been bitten at some point during the six years she was gone, because there were humans in the Hale house fire
Flag
I had considered this, especially since almost every time the fire is mentioned in the show, it is again made clear that some of the Hale family weren't werewolves. I'm a little disinclined to believe this is true for Cora since neither Derek nor Peter seem surprised by her being a werewolf. More generally, the fact that Derek and Peter--the experienced werewolves--aren't surprised by any of the eye colors is notable.
Flag
I think it's pretty clear red means Alpha. Every Alpha we've seen had red eyes, Derek's eyes turned red, Peter lost his red eyes. When Scott's eyes turned red, he also showed the strength of an Alpha (he was able to stop Ennis). Scott is special, that's why Peter turned him in the first place (don't think it was just chance ;)), that's why the vet is thinking of him as a protégé and guiding him. He told him to lead them, didn't he. We know betas become alphas when they kill one or the alpha of the pack dies of natural causes, but who says, a werewolf with the potential can't rise to an alpha simply by showing the skills and growing into that role? I think that's happening to Scott....

So then there's still the blue/yellow thing. Born or bitten? Can't be true: while Peter and Derek definitely were born werewolfs, Jackson was bitten. Undead/revived wolves? Did Derek actually die at some point?
Maybe the wolves with the blue eyes lived through some tragedies? Peter and Derek clearly lost (almost) all family, Jackson lost his birth parents even before he was born, but that's also true for Isaac, and his eyes are yellow. Could it be their eye colors? But then Isaac should have blue wolf eyes too, and he doesn't....

Well, none of these ideas seem to fit, I'll just wait for episode 8 and let Mr. J.D. tell us :)
More+
Flag
Jackson was adopted. They made a big deal out of it in the beginning, so we're not actually sure where he came from.
Flag
I agree it must be based on emotions but when scot eyes turned red i thought if Derek dies will Scott become a new Alpha consider the vet suggest that he should lead them?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members