A Teen Wolf Community
Monday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television
Since we're about to hit a mid-season break, and I'm supposed to be studying for one of my finals, I decided it would be a good idea to start watching Teen Wolf again from the very beginning.
I'm currently on S01E07, and couldn't help but notice Scott with red eyes. This is right around the 33 minute mark right after Scott gets pinned by Peter in the gymnasium and is forced to turn. The eyes flash red before they turn their typical yellow. I totally missed it the first time around.
I guess this means they started laying the groundwork for the season 3 reveal way back in season 1? That's pretty cool. I wonder how many other times I missed hints of Scott being a True Alpha?

54 Comments
Comments (54)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
It happened again in season 2, when scott and derek went up against the alpha pack in that abandoned airport looking place... Scott charged one of the alphas, both of them kinda get flung back from the force of them colliding , scott looks up, his eyes turn red, he shakes his head and they go back to yellow .. And i think he also did it when he tried to save deaton that one time....
Flag
Actually, that was in season 3A, when they had already hinted at Scott being a true alpha. It was actually an abandoned mall. Beacon Hills has a population of 23,000, so it can't have a large airport. It might have a small one for private planes and whatnot, but you won't be seeing United or Southwest going there. Anyway, if you watch that scene again, Deucalion noticed the shift--and it was a lot more obvious, as Scott had the strength to stand up to the huge alpha. Compare to their first encounter in the elevator, as Enis was just tossing Scott around like rag doll until Derek intervened. They were showing the progression, so that it wouldn't be like he just magically and suddenly became an alpha. It took effort and willpower.
Flag
I believe Scott was always going to wind up being a True Alpha, but if I'm remembering tha scene correctly that a visual of Peter taking control and forcing a shift. The Omega thing was just Derek or Peter. You need to remember that the Alpha Pack was planned to be there about something to do with the Kanima before Coton Haynes decided to leave. You can read that here.
Flag
But then why didn't we see Malia's eyes turn red when Scott forced her shift from coyote to girl? Or how about Isaac? With that same howl, Isaac found the strength to break that trap, but his eyes glowed the typical bright yellow. I haven't seen a beta or omega with red eyes since that scene and I've been rewatching all of the episodes.
Flag
I don't know, it's not like everything else in this show is perfectly consistent except this one thing. I just. Know what I've seen and read. And what I've read says that the Alpha Pack wasn't supposed to be there for Scott when they were written, so anything before that, that could indicate things related to them was coincidence. Perhaps they remembered that moment from s1, and decided not to do the same with Malia and Isaac in s3 as a retconny type of thing?
Flag
I just rewatched this episode and I think that's so cool. I love seeing evidence that they're not just making this stuff up as they go along. Of course I know that lots of aspects of the show aren't planned that far in advance but it's cool to know that Scott being a true alpha was something that they had in the works from the very beginning.
Flag
i just went and looked at that point in the episode, and your right. thats really early for him to be turning into an alpha. i like things like that, where you can go back and find little easter eggs in episodes.
Flag
Just to add to the general observations made in Season 1:

By the opening episode of Season 2 "Omega," the titular (and soon-to-be-bisected) omega werewolf mentions to Gerard and Chris Argent that he had come to Beacon Hills because he'd heard rumors of a new alpha. At the time, this is assumed to be Derek (or maybe even Peter, if the rumors were old enough), but in retrospect, and especially in light of Season 3A, this is almost certainly meant to be Scott. The omega shows up for the same reasons the alpha pack do. This is even more clear when he's seen in the middle of the episode loitering outside the high school. If he's looking for Derek, why would he be there?
Flag
Something to remember is that the alpha pack wasn't originally supposed to be there for that. They were there for something to do with the Kanima
Flag
Actually, they were there for Derek... They wanted to add him to their Alpha Pack and tried to get him to kill his old pack. Just as they all did to their packs
Flag
Awww Erica told Stiles he made a good Batman... Now I miss her. :(
Flag
Interesting. I mean, I guess it could be that he was there for exposition, the idea being that kids are wasteful, so he might something in the garbage... or he might just have been passing through, since he was caught in the woods.

If there were rumblings about Scott even back then, who would you say can't keep his mouth shut? Deaton? I mean, word traveled pretty damn fast, right? Who else could've said something and had it get to other werewolves?

Also, where the hell have Satomi and her pack been this entire time? Supposedly in Beacon Hills, but the Argents never hassled *them*? Or the Alpha Pack? Or Peter? Is Satomi that big of a bad ass that everyone gives her pack a wide berth? Were they that awesome at hiding up until the assassins came in and slaughtered them all within a week's time?

There should be a class on disecting Teen Wolf episodes.
Flag
I'd been wondering the same thing about Satomi and her pack and I came to the conclusion that since Jeff Davis and co have only recently decided to bring her back to the show, they couldn't have had the Argents (and other hunters) harassing her. But they can quickly fix this with a flashback or two of Satomi and her pack being hunted by someone. That will make it seem like she's been around for awhile, just very good at evading hunters.
Flag
She would picked up a few tricks along the way to evade a many hunters it would nice to see her do this and maybe teach our Scooby gang a few lessons.
Flag
Yes, she's definitely a bad ass and Scott would really benefit from a few lessons from her on how to be a better alpha, how to hide from hunters and how to kick butt. But I can definitely see her helping the others as well.
Flag
I think considering Satomi is as old or even older that Kira's mum, I'm guessing she has learnt a few powerful things over the years, peter looked genually scared or alarmed that she was in the picture.
Flag
Kira's mom is like 400 years old even though she's aged as much as she has since WWII. Satomi isn't anywhere near that. She was still having trouble with control during WWII, so I imagine she'd been bitten not long before the episode took place. She's old, don't get me wrong, but Noshiko's defitenitely got centuries on her.
Flag
I actually think she's more like 110. Still pretty old though. And we haven't actually seen her in present day yet. She may not be at her peak physically.
Flag
Thanks sometimes I just get so I grossed in the excitement of the show and episode itself I miss things but I do know that she was a bitten wolf, peter said it, considering she is 200 year young I'm thinking that's pretty dam old for a werewolf I wonder if they have a slowed ageing process similar to Noshiko
Flag
Blarg. Playing Go.
Flag
The one playing during the flashback episode? That's Satomi. But she looked to be about 50 in that episode. Her monthly migraines were from trying to suppress the wolf during the full moon. Since she was still having trouble, it's safe to assume she hadn't been a werewolf very long. Plus, she kind of let her emotions get the best of her in the end. She's the one that set Rhys on fire.

And even if they didn't establish that she'd been recently turned, we need to consider that she was born in Japan and immigrated to the US, where she was likely bitten. I don't think werewolves are native to Japan? Maybe they are.

By contrast, Noshiko has been established as being 900 years old, despite looking like a teenager during WWII and a middle aged woman in 2012. She ages slowly, but her aging has certainly accelerated since WWII. Maybe she can control her appearance? I don't know.

Anyway, my point is that Satomi may *appear* older than Noshiko, but even if we place her at 200, which I think is like beyond generous, there's no way she's even close to Noshiko's age.
Flag
I think I'm getting confused with that old lady who was playing that game with the stones.
Flag
Well, yeah, I mean, when Deaton tells us things in full paragraphs, they are usually real. When he told Scott, he said he suspected since he was bitten. I have always pointed out that most of the newly turned werewolves (Isaac, Erica, even Boyd to a lesser extent, and Liam now, though part of that is his actual personality) all had this like rush of power after being turned that made them, for awhile, be kind of asshole like. A couple of full moons and learning the anchor system, Isaac adapted into our lovable and loyal Isaac. Erica and Boyd were both starting to come down from it as well. Heck, even Derek when he got the Alpha rush, was kind of a tool at the beginning of Season 2. But other than the first like two full moons, Scott didn't really change his actual personality. I mean, remember back to Season 1, Scott really never got a huge kick out of a werewolf burst of power, and it seemed running and jumping were his favorite activities (still kind of are) but I almost think that was more in gratitude to his lack of asthma attacks. Heck, his first real werewolf activity was (yes, there were other motivations there) but finding and saving Derek.

I will try and rewatch that episode (Night School, right?) its actually one I tend to skip if I rewatch because it really had little to do with the actual overarching plot just some details (ie, we needed Derek on the run, what the boys determined, well, Peter's motivation to be and to move Allison to the hunter side of things).
More+
Flag
S2E5 (yes, I'm studying!) - Venomous. Coach finds Danny's lacrosse ripped pads under the bleachers. Was this ever resolved later? It can't have not had meaning, right? Continuing to listen as I read over requirements engineering!
Flag
I just figured Jackson and unconscious kanima stuff like how sometimes Scott's claws would appear or his eyes glow on their own.
Flag
Somebody used his pads that night since he wasn't playing goalie. But that means someone else was, and it wouldn't have been Jackson.
Flag
Never mind. It was. :(
Flag
Yes, it's Night School. Also check out the episode immediately following that. On the fool moon, Scott's kind of a jerk too. He goes to Lydia to ask about Stiles, but instead asks about Alison, then makes out with her. Afterward, she goes to Stiles and tell him that Lydia likes him. Not cool, Scott. Still, by the next full moon, he overcomes his animal impulses to protect Allison from the Kanima. He transitioned very quickly.
Flag
I'm on season 2 now, and was just remarking what a personality transformation Erica went through when she was bitten. I mean, she was a total b. It's likely Scott saved her life when she had that seizure and he caught her as she fell since the gym lights were off, implying that it was the end of the day, and it might have been a while before anyone happened upon her. Yet she's constantly coming onto him despite acknowledging how he seems to only have eyes for Allison. And she also knocked Stiles out with whatever car part she'd yanked from his Jeep. Poor Stiles. How did he not have a broken jaw?

I think Liam is a bit more like Scott because neither of them asked to be turned. Boyd, Erica, and Isaac were all like "Werewolf powers? Sign me up!" I don't remember much about Boyd's personality, though he did tell Scott he wanted to be like him instead of like Erica and Isaac. I don't think Liam's undergone much of a personality shift yet, since they explained he suffered from IED even before the bite. Incidentally, I'm curious as to why the bite didn't fix that for him? The bite cured Scott's asthma, and even Erica's epilepsy, which is a neurological disorder, so why wouldn't it balance out Liam?
More +
Flag
And not to get all big sister on you, but judging by other statements you have made...shouldn't you be studying? :)
Flag
D:
Busted.
*goes off to study*
Flag
Although the distinction is probably more porous than we're inclined to admit, especially as research increasingly shows underlying physical components for behavioral disorders, doctors typically recognize a difference between mental disorders (like IED) and neurological disorders (like epilepsy, which is more a symptom than a single disease anyway). In other words, the logic within the show seems to suggest that werewolfism only adjusts or heals medical problems with known physical causes or symptoms, including anatomical trauma or structural, biochemical or electric irregularities. Those without (even if it's just because they're unknown) fall into a separate diagnostic category. Liam's treatment seems to be a combination of behavioral therapy, including anger management, and anxiety medication, which is prescribed to help mediate his stress level to buffer igniting stimuli, but it doesn't treat the problem itself. And he doesn't take it anyway.
Flag
Yeah, that was what I was talking about with the first couple full moons for Scott, but after the one where he kissed Lydia etcetera (his second full moon), the next one was saving Allison from the Kanima, so it was again his protective instinct letting him control the animal impulses.

I actually wouldn't be surprised to find that Liam discovers he isn't feeling quite a rageful inside as he had previously, but his anger reactions are kind of his instinctual response and Scott may figure out that using Liam's medication might be like Scott carrying around his inhalor, just a placebo. Of course, I never bothered to look up Liam's disorder, it could be emotion based and not chemically based in which can the full moon control might prove useful in the rest of his life.

Liam hasn't had all the lessons yet (and it kind of looks like tonight that Scott will regret failing to teach him the howling for location thing yet because I think either Liam is kidnapped or Scott has to work with Garrett for Brett's cure).
Flag
You're right, of course, about Deaton, but in television there's usually a difference between retrospectively saying you've been planning something (like Deaton claiming to have suspected from the beginning that Scott was a true alpha) and actually implementing strategies that make it evident when the reveal is later realized (like giving Scott flashes of red eyes long before he ever approaches being an alpha, indeed long before eye color is ever explained).

And you skip "Night School"?! That was one of the best episodes of the series so far, and it was certainly the episode that convinced me I was into Teen Wolf for the long haul.

I do, however, love your observations about Scott's personality. He had basically one full moon as a total asshat—the day he kissed Lydia, insulted Stiles, and escaped his chains—but he adjusted much quicker than all of the others. I'll be interested with Liam, though, since he's already struggling with an anger disorder. It makes his swings much more volatile, but it also gives him some experience with managing (or at least wanting to manage) a part of his personality that he knows is destructive for himself and especially for others. In this sense, he may adjust better than Isaac, Erica, and Boyd.
More +
Flag
Right, that was my point. Scott's potential to be a True Alpha wasn't brought up until season 3, but they actually briefly flashed his red eyes halfway through season 1. And without knowing what that was supposed to mean at the time, that detailed failed to register with me. I just thought it was neat.

What I'm not getting is why Liam still suffers from IED. Unless it's just in his head now because that's how he's used to acting? Becoming a werewolf cured Erica of her epilepsy, which is a neurological disorder, so it should have cured Liam of his as well, right?
Flag
Yeah, from what I gather from CC, Liam probably is on an Isaac sort of path, he is going to get to a point of being comfortable as a werewolf but not so much in the hero mold of Scott, though he may get there. Basically, like a male Malia....

I've watched the first few seasons many times over marathons, and you just know ones to skip if you are just watching the whole thing through (like Season 3A, they still haven't fully explained some stuff from Motel California and technically if you are just watching for the sacrifice and Nemeton stuff for Season 3B, you can skip Visionary - however Visionary is probably one of the more important canon episodes basically for this reason - this is all Gerard's fault!!!).

I don't actually think the show had developed a lot of canon for the eye color thing at that point, probably no further than Derek is a born werewolf, Peter's have to be scary and Scott's should be the more common wolf eye color. I even think when Jackson turned, they hadn't really decided yet and there probably was the idea that maybe blue eyes were a Hale trait (heck, wouldn't it have made sense if Peter was Jackson's father as opposed to Malia?). But then they briefly dropped that idea and did the whole taking the life of the innocent thing when they developed the Alpha Pack.
More +
Flag
What still needs to be explained from Motel California?
Flag
1. I didn't think Jennifer just trying to take the werewolves out was in doubt seeing thats why she used wolfsbane to poison coaches poison coaches whistle because she new the 3 of them were together, and she always did things in 3.

2. I never really saw that as something that needed explained but I can see how it was something questioned, I always assumed it was some kind of hallucination, or something the Darach did.

3. Didn't she poison cora to get the gangs help?

4. Hadn't thought about that one.

5. I thought that was pretty well done. The fact that he was an argent, Chris asks Gerard who killed his uncle because he remembered that hotels name when Allison called to tell him where they were.
Flag
1. Was Jennifer just trying to take the werewolves out?
2. How did Lydia see that image in the fire (since her banshee power is via sound - though I'd be satisfied with that they hadn't settled on that yet)
3. If she was trying to take the werewolves out, why did nothing happen to Cora or Peter? I know later she poisoned Cora and I swear there seem to be very few people who seem to realize Peter is still alive.
4. How did they end up there and would suicide have been the option wherever they ended up?
5. The flashback to Allison's great uncle? Um, what?
Other things I think...
Flag
Teen Wolf is really sly about continuity. More than any show in my recollection, they manage to seamlessly integrate details from early in the show into later plot cruces, and they make it nearly impossible to tell which were part of the plan from the beginning and which were retroactively reimagined and incorporated.

So, as Davis has claimed, it was always his plan to bring Kate back. As a result, the turned-by-claw-scratch conversation Kate had with Chris, which initially seemed a detail designed to point suspicion at Jackson, eventually became far more important for different reasons. It was a casual detail midway through Season 1 that didn't become relevant until the beginning of Season 4.

I have no idea how early the writers decided on what eye color meant for the werewolves, though red for alpha was probably very early since Derek's changed at the end of the first Season to indicate the transfer of status, but they still manage to make the details meaningful in consistent ways. (Admittedly, the mechanics of determining both "innocent life" and who is responsible for taking it in some circumstances are potentially obfuscating.)

On a related note, I'm also typically VERY impressed with the ways the show incorporates its product placement as well. The placement is rarely subtle, but I'm consistently surprised by how much those moments can sometimes reflect on the actual plot, many of which make sense more in retrospect as well. Kira's use of her camera to take pictures of her fox fire (and to check her dad for the same things) was quite clever. More recently, Liam's freakout in Kira's car over the volume of her music was more immediate, but equally well integrated. (Less subtle, writing in Tyler Posey's arm tattoo.)
More +
Flag
Wait. I know all that about his tatoos. I think he had one removed from his leg over the break. I misunderstood the writing in part. I thought you meant they were writing stuff in his tatoo. You only meant they wrote the tatoo into the storyline. My fault. I probably shouldn't write posts at 2 a.m.
Flag
@wolffanatic:

The beginning of Season 3A—the episode titled "Tattoo," in which Scott struggles to get two bands around his arm as a representation of his emotional scars—seems designed to explain the actor's new ink. It keeps the make-up department from having to cover it every scene.

Similarly, Scott's torso wounds are almost always on his left side to cover another of Tyler Posey's tattoos at the same time as sculpting the character's gashes.

I'm not certain about Derek's triskelion tattoo, which first showed up midway through Season 1 in "Wolf's Bane". I'm not clear whether that's actually Tyler Hoechlin's tattoo which was later written into the show or whether it's part of his make-up when necessary.
Flag
I haven't seen writing in his tatoo on the show?
Flag
I remember seeing that, I just thought it was a way to visually show Peter forcing Scott to shift and taking over his mind and making him want to kill the others. To "get rid of my old pack" is what Scott tells Stiles. But it would be really interesting and cool if they were foreshadowing Scott being a True Alpha!
Flag
Good catch, It's funny looking back at season one and seeing horrible CGI they used for Peter.
Flag
I liked CGI Peter, which is also why I really like season 1 so much. I was hoping for more cgi throughout the show.
Flag
There's also the problem of network nakedness. Because Season 1's CGI alpha was almost always fully transformed already, the show didn't have to deal with the logistics of how to clothe it after it changes back into a human. If all wolves changed like that, even all alphas, you'd have to create many more (always conspicuous and usually distracting) ways to disguise the nakedness after every transformation. (Imagine Malia's transformation out of a coyote...but every episode.)

In the end, the effects weren't so cheap that they were distracting, but like @prowly, I thought they struggled a little to keep them credible. And again, the infrequency of direct appearances made it more manageable early on, for both budget and production cycles.
Flag
I thought it was alright, but you could tell they were struggling with the effects. When Peter healed his burns, he spun the mirror to hide the transition... when Derek turned, he stepped behind some frosted glass so you only saw his shadow... CGI Peter was always blurry and/or in the distance... stuff like that. It worked, but I think it's so much better now.
Flag
I guess I understand the point of cgi cost and unclothed characters. But I've always liked monstrous looking werewolves. I'm hoping that since TW has been on so long, they might consider investing in some cgi occasionally. Maybe since Peter's supposed to be the big bad again, we might see his cgi wolf at least one more time. And since Peter is Scott's "sire", having Scott look a little more wolf-like would make sense.
Flag
It's all the little things you kind of forget about:
  • Derek explaining Peter's animal appearance as him being an alpha, and thus more animal than either of them, but then not looking like that himself when he became an alpha.
  • Lydia trying to flirt with Mr. Argent
  • Lydia trying to flirt with Scott
  • Lydia making out with Scott (man, I'm so glad her character evolved past her original presentation)
  • Jackson being such a tool that he actually managed to smile at Scott's misfortune even as the group was being "hunted" by Peter inside the school.
  • Danny being just a tiny bit of a jerk in the very beginning.
  • Allison could do gymnastics!
It's also funny how Mr. Harris was supposed to teach chemistry, but gave everyone an economics exam on the day of the full moon. Wasn't that supposed to be Coach's class?
Flag
On Peter's appearance, The twins also mentioned that he became the animal.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I didn't realize the picture would be so small. Sorry about the quality. My TV doubles as my computer monitor, so I avoid the vivid color settings to keep from straining my eyes.

Flag
Follow this Show
Members