A Teen Wolf Community
Monday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television

Teen Wolf S03E11: "Alpha Pact"

Parents love to do a lot things: Sneak into teens' rooms to find all the drugs; hassle everybody about chores; be ten minutes late picking people up from hockey practice; failing to understand the Fresh Prince at all let alone DJ Jazzy Jeff. Parents love doing all of these things so much! But what parents love to do MOST of all is get murdered on supernatural teen dramas. Go ahead, ask any parent what they love to do, and getting murdered on supernatural teen dramas will be right up near the top of the list if not #1. Murder by ancient deity and a nice glass of white wine, that's any parent's dream. This is why teen supernatural dramas usually have a crazy-high parental fatality rate: Because teen supernatural dramas KEEP IT REAL. 

Take the current gold standard of the genre, The Vampire Diaries. Uh, have you noticed that almost 100% of the parents have been brutally murdered on that show? The show has even introduced dozens of surrogate or replacement parents (aunts, teachers, long lost birth parents, uncles) just to kill THEM off too. The premise of The Secret Circle involved no fewer than EIGHT murdered parents. And let's not forget the infamous Episode 14 all-parent massacre of My So-Called Life. Haha just kidding, Patty Chase would've TORE UP a demon. (But no joke, that show had at least TWO episodes with supernatural phenomena, never forget.) 

What I'm saying is, the writers behind supernatural teen dramas must find a still-alive parent so tantalizing. See, killing off a character's parent both increases our sympathy for that character and also increases that character's agency. (Dead parents enforce no curfews.) Among the many ways Teen Wolf has embraced the tropes of this genre only to later transcend them, its treatment of parents is probably the best I've ever seen on any teen show. Sure, at least two characters' parents have died on-screen, but for the most part this show seems to really value the lives of its parents and the impact living parents can have on their kids' lives. This has never been truer than in Season 3 where most if not all of the parents are now fully aware of their kids' extracurricular activities, and better yet, actually getting in on the action. Further, and this shouldn't seem so shocking to me, but especially in "Alpha Pact" these kids seemed SO UPSET when their parents were endangered. Like upset in real, heart-wrenching ways. I just don't know how many times I can bear to see Stiles' eyes well up in tears or Allison collapse into sobs and not follow suit myself. These kids really, really care about their parents, and by extension so do I. (It helps that the parents are legit awesome characters anyway.) That's one reason why "Alpha Pact" was a truly phenomenal episode: With three characters' parents now in danger, the stakes have never felt higher. 

Okay fine twist my arm, let's talk about "Alpha Pact"!

The story began--as good stories always do--with a teenage boy straddling a grown man in an elevator trying to slap that man awake. 

Seriously Stiles slapped Derek SO MUCH. But it wasn't until he decided to start throwing closed-fist punches that Derek decided to wake up. Be careful with Derek's face, Stiles! Anyway, then Stiles told Derek that the Darach stole Scott's mom and Scott stole away with THE DEMON WOLF.

Meanwhile the Argents were still all scrambling around outside and Derek showed up just long enough to grab Cora out of the backseat of Isaac's RAV4 while Peter Hale ran off and hid in the bushes because he was still afraid of Mr. Argent? Something like that. Everybody was a mess!

Also Derek broke the news to Allison about Scott having joined up with the Alpha Pack and also told her he was now OFF-THE-CLOCK as far as rescuing people was concerned. Dying sister stuff, who knows.

Meanwhile a tall FBI agent with a suspiciously asymmetrical face started questioning Stiles like they'd had a long history of hating each other.

I guess it made sense, since (and I'm about to get real here) Stiles' dad was not that great at his job and maybe the FBI had been hassling him about it for a while now? Just putting that out there! Anyway, Stiles was still not about to tell this dude that his father had been taken by moths. That is just not something you tell a stranger, you know? But especially when that stranger is super judgey about what kind of a job your dad is doing. Carried away by moths does not look good on paper.

Oh, but look at what the possibly-good-at-lacrosse FBI agent pointed out: Somebody had taken a can of spraypaint and put the Argent family ON BLAST. (Spoiler: The Darach's a tagger.)

Meanwhile at Derek's loft, Cora was not looking great. I've definitely seen Cora looking better than in this scene. 

You know who was SO MAD at Derek? Isaac. Isaac was hella mad at Derek for not only boning the Darach but also choosing to watch his sister die rather than be pro-active and find the Darach or help his friends or anything else Derek should've been doing. It's very upsetting seeing Isaac lose his temper with his new dad/brother/friend, but he had a good point. Derek was clinging to Cora because he was afraid if he lost her he'd have no one else? Like Isaac had no one else until he fell in with the coolest hunks in California? Get real, Derek. So basically, Isaac's feelings were hurt, but Peter Hale had a different theory. He thought that Isaac was just transferring his loyalties away from Derek and toward Scott. Which, fine, they share a bed. 

Anyway, tons of strife going on at the werewolf loft. In my opinion they needed to put on some Iron & Wine and just relax for a bit.

It was pretty cool that Stiles decided to go hang out with the Argents as they armed themselves for battle. But it was obviously even cooler when Isaac popped by all bragging about his werewolf manicure.

Stiles ended up having to go to school because there was a chance his dad would survive all this and ground Stiles for cutting class? I don't know. But Isaac didn't have a dad anymore (his dad was killed by a lizard) so he could obviously miss school all he wanted, thus he decided to tag along with Allison and Mr. Argent on a quest to find that darn Darach.

So at some point Peter Hale changed out of his cashmere deep-V and into a new shirt, which either means he keeps a duffel bag in Derek's loft or he was wearing one of Derek's shirts. This isn't an important thing to think about unless of course it is VERY important to think about. 

Anyway, at this point Derek was using his werewolf powers to suck out Cora's pain, but Peter decided to tell him about a much more drastic way to save her life. Basically, Derek could use his "Alpha spark" to cure her, which sounds like something out of Transformers but also would have the side-effect of turning Derek into a beta again! A werewolf demotion, basically.

It kind of seemed like Peter Hale was angling to regain his Alpha status (I'm not sure how the line of succession works necessarily), hence his sorta creepy grin when Derek was ALL ABOUT trading his red peepers in. On the other hand, the plan seemed like a reasonable idea. How else would Derek save his sister's life? But then again, maybe Peter Hale had cut a deal with the Darach and Cora's illness was just an elaborate scheme for Peter Hale to regain Alpha status so that he could turn back into a cartoon and destroy more Blockbuster videos. We'll see, I guess!

This was a nice scene. For one thing, I'm just glad that Susan Walters gets to still be a mom on at least ONE good TV show seeing as Klaus drowned her TVD character during some kind of weird springtime Christmas party. But also I liked how creepily heartfelt this scene's message was: Lydia opted not to cover up the strangulation marks on her neck. I feel like an entire academic paper could be written about this tiny character moment, but in a general sense I liked that it commented on both Lydia's bravery and vanity. Clever and illuminating, imagine that.

After looking at that weird UV map of his, Mr. Argent decided that the Darach would be doing some Darach-related business at the bank vault again. So that's where they went! 

Unfortunately for Isaac, Mr. Argent had a trick up his sleeve, and that trick was shocking Isaac nearly to death and then handcuffing Allison to the wall while he offered himself up as a sacrifice to the Darach.

Yup! This whole thing had been a way for Argent to become the third member of the parental sacrificial trio! Clever girl.

Allison was understandably shaken by the whole thing. It's always pretty rude when people don't trust you with their secret plans, but also she was probably pretty tired of having her parents be in mortal danger. Fortunately she still had Isaac.

Like, sorry, but don't tell me this scene didn't make you feel something. I ship everybody with everybody but in this tiny intimate moment I was so happy for both of them. Not because this was a hot 'n heavy romantic moment, but mostly because it wasn't. I don't know if I'm explaining that correctly, I may have mental probs.

So, of course Mr. Argent's plan involved waking up in captivity, freeing any one of the dozens of knives hidden on his person, and then cutting that druid UP. What he failed to consider, however, was just how thorough the Darach's busyfingers were.

Whoops! Suddenly Argent's plan didn't seem quite so brave as it did outrageously stupid. 

At that point the Darach walked downstairs and cleaned the blood off Mr. Argent's forehead (had she accidentally dropped him while carrying him across town?) and made some speech about how she and him were ultimately on the same team because they were both merely trying to rid the world of werewolves. Then she cut Scott's mom a look.

Yikes, ladies. 

Meanwhile at school, Stiles found out that Allison's dad had been taken, thus giving the Darach all she would need to make her sacrifices. He did not take this news very well.

I was amazed by how much I liked this moment. Well, there was the kiss aspect, yeah, but also just the fact that a character in a stressful situation had an actual panic attack. It's amazing that TV characters aren't constantly experiencing them, if we're being honest. Anyway, Stiles couldn't get it together, and Lydia knew exactly what to do.

So that happened! Stiles and Lydia kneeling on the most disgusting surface in all of town mashing mouths together to a smooth jam. It was very touching, and since Lydia has been in a pretty earnest and subdued mood lately, she didn't say anything super mean afterward. In fact, it seemed like she was pretty into it? I don't know. I just liked that this happened, it seemed very earned and 100% charming.

So then the two of them decided to pay Kendra the guidance counselor a visit, but she hadn't shown up to work that day. Which, duh. Honestly, Stiles and Lydia really shouldn't have gone to school either. What a weird choice they made. Anyway, look who was sitting in Kendra's office? That girl from the house party in episode 2 who had won a contest to be on Teen Wolf. The BEST girl, basically.

I mean, really. Make her a regular pls! 

So at this point Stiles and Lydia rifled through Kendra's desk and found their own files. That's how they figured out two things right at the same time: Where the final sacrifices were going to be happening and also why the Darach had tried to kill Lydia earlier.

Remember that time the Darach was an English teacher still and saw Lydia drawing this tree-thing in her notepad? Turns out Lydia had been drawing upside-down versions of the roots where the Darach was making sacrifices. That's why Lydia had to die. So now they just had to find out where the roots WERE and to do that Lydia had to pay a visit to the werewolf loft.

There was a highly amusing run-in between Lydia and Peter Hale, which, oh yeah, I guess they hadn't seen each other since the incident in Season 2 when his ghost seduced her into using moon voodoo to resurrect him. Let's be real, Peter Hale should be in jail for macking on a teen like that, but whatever. Unfortunately this meeting didn't come to much because Derek's mom had erased the location of the tree root thing from both of their memories. Ugh, Mrs. Hale was kind of the worst, right? I mean, the live wolf aspect alone was enough to put her on my bad side.

So the episode was more than halfway over by the time we finally caught up with Scott and his new bestie, a blind a-hole named THE DEMON WOLF.

For a minute there it seemed like dude was about to explain why there were fireflies in California all of the sudden, but then he basically just shrugged and chalked it up to animals being sensitive to supernatural phenomena and whatnot. Whatever, guy.

Meanwhile, we found out why Kendra had skipped school that day: Because she was being chased by werewolf twunks! Fortunately she's basically a sorceress and threw down a mountain ash circle like it wasn't even a thing.

So yeah, if it wasn't clear by now, druids are officially Teen Wolf's answer to witches. Like, I'm sorry, but there has been some straight-up MAGICK afoot this season. Not a complaint.

As it turned out THE DEMON WOLF wanted Kendra to shed some light on what the Darach is trying to do, and also he wanted to know why she'd infiltrated their lair prior to the season premiere (when Isaac was rescued by that rando on a motorcylce). The answers weren't super interesting, but it WAS interesting when Kendra proceeded to rat out THE DEMON WOLF for having murdered that super tall Alpha that Kali had a thing for. 

So yeah, expect some dissension in the ranks after that one. At first THE DEMON WOLF tried to pretend he didn't care, but then he did this:

Yup, a mountain ash circle doesn't really protect you from super sharp sticks, it turns out. But before the Alphas could descend upon Kendra, Scott fought them back and protected her. Then she told him the same information the other characters had learned by now: The Darach was at that cluster of tree roots. 

But yeah, again, nobody seemed to know WHERE exactly that cellar was. Inconvenient!

Another nice moment: Mr. Argent and Mrs. McCall and Sheriff Stilinski talking openly about being "in the know" with regard to their children's hobbies. After Mr. Argent all but rolled his eyes at Stiles' dad for not catching on sooner, the sheriff admitted to having looked past obvious supernatural phenomena, even one specific incident that will haunt him forever.

In what had to have been a series highlight for this show, Sheriff Stilinski described the night his wife died. We'd always known that Stiles' mom had passed away from an unspecified illness (NOT an animal attack), but in a truly moving monologue (seriously, huge, huge props to Linden Ashby) the Sheriff Stilinski recounted the night she died and how he wasn't there with her because he'd opted to stay with a dying highway crash victim despite the fact that the victim had had a psychic premonition that the sheriff's wife was also dying at that very moment. Anyway, it's almost too devastating to properly recount here, but suffice to say if you didn't already feel so badly for the Stilinski family, you did now. So good.

So, haha, oh man. Deaton the Veterinarian came up with quite a plan to stop the Darach. 

Now I'm definitely not a genius, so the fact that I didn't quite grasp the plan shouldn't shock you. But I think the idea was that Scott, Stiles, and Allison would all kill themselves in lieu of their parents getting sacrificed, imbue the Nematon (tree root thingy) with the energy that the Darach wanted, and then Deaton would bring them all back to life. But it would also mean that Beacon Hills would become a monster-magnet and also the three of them would have permanent scars of evil branded into their hearts. I really don't know, I'm so tired.  

But then Deaton went and got HILARIOUS with it. Not only would the three of them have to be drowned, each of them had to be paired with someone he or she had an emotional bond with. And because Deaton is nothing if not highly perceptive when it comes to burgeoning teen romance, he immediately paired Lydia with Stiles and Allison with Isaac!

Which created a bit of an awkward situation for Scott:

Aw poor guy. To Scott's credit, he seemed relatively cool with it. And to Isaac's credit, he hadn't really actively pursued Allison necessarily. Like, yeah he's into her, but he hadn't done anything obvious about it that might betray his friendship with Scott. Guys, I normally hate love triangles, but I don't think I hate this one? Here's why I think that is: Usually these shows really oversell the love triangles, like jam them down our throats basically. In this case it's just three decent people not necessarily looking to fall in love who've started to forge connections both subtle and deep. The fact that they are all three very likable and trying to do the right thing by each other just makes it all so much more painful. Do you know what I mean? I guess love triangles are just more effective when the people in them don't seem too interested in love triangles. I dig it.

ANYWAY. (Sorry.) The montage that closed out this show was so intense that it made me feel even MORE emotional. But that doesn't mean we can't have fun with everybody's "ice dippin' faces"!

WHO WORE IT BEST:

I vote Allison. She looked SO ANNOYED about about having to kill herself in ice water.

Oh, and Stiles was a rascal because just before they all three went under, he dropped THIS bomb:

THAT'S RIGHT! Lookit:

Did NOT see that coming! Teen Wolf has been holding onto certain backstory nuggets for a while now, and the story of Stiles' mom was one of them. We had no reason to expect this would ALSO be the episode we'd meet Scott's DAD! Or that he was a super tall FBI agent who, I guess, broke into Scott's house to cry on his bed? Dang, what a trip this episode was! And it wasn't nearly done getting real:

Yep, that's right. Derek traded in his Alpha status to suck away all of Cora's sickness! On the upside, those beautiful blues were back. 

And nothing definitive was revealed about Peter Hale's werewolf status, but he was clearly ready and willing to accept any new titles floating around. 

But then came time for the gang to get serious. In what had to be a situation that created mixed emotions all around, the triple murder/suicide pact was put into action.

And it was kind of upsetting! Hey, I LIKE these people and they were drowning!!

And then, most upsetting of all...

NOOOOOOOO! How dare you, Teen Wolf

Actually, go ahead and dare, Teen Wolf, I'm into it. Obviously this was going to be a two part finale and I'm just thankful this title card didn't appear after NEXT week's episode. Could you even imagine? A chill went down my spine just now when I imagined it. 

This episode was an instant classic. Hear me out. Just kidding, I have no further arguments, your honor. "Alpha Pact" was an instant classic. I cried. Yeah, I can say that here right? There were A LOT of emotions at play in this episode, plus it was exciting and revealing and surprising. Like, SO surprising. MR. McCall? WHAT? A surprise kiss? A compelling love triangle? A triple suicide? How did the writers even brainstorm this episode? "Everything. Let's just put everything in this episode." And then they did and it was terrific. (Sigh.) I'm not doing so great. WORTH IT. 

BYEEE

QUESTIONS

... Is Deaton's plan a good one? Be honest.

... Are you concerned that the reappearance of Mr. McCall will interfere with the single-parent love triangle currently forming in that root cellar?

... Did Derek make the right choice?

... What kind of monsters will come runnin' to Beacon Hills NOW? Pinhead? Pumpkinhead? The Grimace?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/8/2016

Season 5 : Episode 20

836 Comments
Comments (836)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Teen Wolf is about to get their very own Hellmouth! I dig it!
Flag
Oh man, I laughed so hard at the "Everything. Let's just put everything in this episode." Haha - awesome.
Flag
Well,Deaton's plan sucks!!! It's risky for trio and extremly dangerous for Stiles & Allison (Humans) than Scott....
Flag
The scene in the guidance councilor office was hilarious. I didn't know Danielle was a lucky fan.
Flag
Ok so does anyone remember when Kali & Derek had the fight in his loft when she made the twins hold Jennifer blake captive in order for her to fight 1 on 1 with Derek? Well why didn't Kali notice that Jennifer was her emissary, Julia right away? I mean Kali recognized her outside of the hospital right away so why didn't she notice her before? Anyone else confused?
Flag
I'm not sure Kali "recognized" her in the hospital as much as she now knew, mostly by conversations with Deucalion, that her emissary was still alive. Once Jennifer/Julia was outed as the darach, she knew. Before, thanks to some extensive facial mauling and druid beauty-magic, she didn't recognize her face. After all, Jennifer/Julia looks nothing like the picture attached to her hospital file.
Flag
So I've just seen the finale as it was leaked and it's too awesome not to discuss now.However, I am not going to spoil it to no one and will stop commenting here until Monday.If anyone who has seen it and would like to discuss it with me, please don't hesitate to message.
Honestly, though it is just plain stupid to wait for so long.
Flag
Where did you watch it?
Flag
I downloaded it from Kickass Torrent. But I have to add that downloading torrents is not illegal in my country in any way shape or form and if it is in yours, then maybe you should wait until Monday, however, many of my friends have seen it already.
Finally, I have been told that this site being an American site cannot recap or mention the I Tune leak officially as it is illegal once I Tune recalled the link.
My position, and this concerns but me, is that once I Tune leaked it , it became legally aired as streaming and downloading torrents have become a major method of watching TV series.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
So, two years later (damn, really? Bleu girl gotta get a life) and I still feel compelled to apologize beforehand for the million words I may or may not type on this TW masterpiece of an episode (and this review obviously was the best Price. Obviously.) So, um, sorry guys, I ramble and stuff, I don't plan this shizz, I swear.

-I can't even, I just can't with Teen Wolf being this awesome...I just can't. The last two episodes were just spectacular and this season has been the best yet. I swear, I haven't cried in like half a decade or something, but if I could cry, I'd have been reduced to a sobbing mess so many times this season. So many, this episode alone. Ugh.

Questions:

-It sounds sketchy as hell. The thing is, it's deaton, and if anyone knows how to pull this off, it's Deaton. I suppose it beats the alternatives which is...waiting for the wolf pups to hear Mr. Argent's dog whistle, which could also bring the Alpha pack running as well.
-Um, no. Single parents stick together, and nothing will interfere with the single parent, supernatural, "we're totally surviving a harrowing life threatening situation together" bond, that is forming between Mama McCall, Papa Stilinksi, and Daddy Argent. Nothing. Their scenes together were the best. MM is just super cool and sassy even when she's tied down in a root cellar. PS just brought all the feels with that story, all. the. freaking. feels, when he described the supernatural thing. I'm willing to take back everything I said about not wanting him in the know. I take it all back. Shame on me. This works. Seeing the cute interactions he has with MM works. Watching the three of them bond works. And DA was hilarious, searching for all of his hidden weapons and being told by the others (only after he was frantically searching) that they were all gone, baby, gone! What I wouldn't have given to see the Daruch feeling him up while he was unconscious. Good times. I just want these three to go out for a drink afterwards and bitch about all the trouble their kids have gotten them in biological and adopted (that's for you Isaac). I'd love to throw Peter Hale in too. He and Mama McCall would have a tense thing going on between the something between "you used me to get to my son" and "maybe we should meet up sometime", he and Argent would be super tense with the latter itching to kill the undead dead, non werewolf-werewolf with some standoff out of an old western, and Papa Stilinski staring and trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Awesome side show.
-Which time? Tough call all around. Peter had an incentive with having Derek giving up his power for his sister. His smarmy smirk said it all. I freaking love Peter Hale. I do. Not going to help the kiddies. Staying with his half dead sister that no one really cares about...eh.
- All the monsters. Monsters I wasn't creative enough to dream of. I was with Stiles...how is this any different than before? I mean, they already have werewolves of all varieties, banshees, ghosts, druids, kaminas, supernatural hunters...

Notes:
- Dylan O'Brien has rocked my world this season. Someone, give this kid an Emmy. He hits me in my heart every single time. Teary-eyed Stiles should never happen. Snarky Stiles...I'm with you buddy, I'm so with you. I said early on in the season that you could tell that the kid has just gone through so much and that he was doing his best to keep it together but he was on simmer just waiting to boil over. He did. He finally did, and it was one of the best things I've seen on television precisely because so often they put characters through trying situations and hair-raising situations without ever really exploring the response to that. Sweet baby Jesus, thank the lord, they gave the kid a panic attack!! Who wouldn't have a panic attack?!! It was gut wrenching, it was masterful, it led to one of the best Lydia and Stiles scenes to date. A kiss for the sake of science. Stiles has been the MVP of the season, from his being the brains of the crew trying to figure things out, to his trying to protect his father, all the glassy eyed looks. OMG the opening with him smacking Derek repeatedly (never the face Stiles, never that face), not a trace of humor in a situation that could have gone humorous and Derek sort of got that. The standoffish defensive snarkiness with Scott's dad. Just...I'm everything Stiles. Everything freaking Stiles.
- Lydia is amazing. I loved how soft she was this episode. She could have easily reverted to being sort of bitchy the way she typically was, but she was just so sweet, soft, supportive, nurturing, and her simple attire and fresh face appearance with the wide eyes...she was stunning in this vulnerable but strong way. She was awesome. Another reason the conversation with her mother was something special, she actually told her mother she had been strangled. For such a tiny scene it left such a lasting impression. She wasn't going to hide the scars of something she survived because it wasn't her fault. She actually told her mother instead of hiding it from her. In that moment, I remembered that Lydia is still that girl that was in the hospital and returned to school with all eyes on her. I loved how she was ready to be part of the gang again and help how she could, and her standing behind Stiles at the end...ugh. Amazing. Her moment when she first seen Peter again, mirrored Mama McCall's. Great humorous moment in an otherwise gut wrenching episode.
- Re: the Isaac and Allison moment. You explained it properly and it made perfect sense. May I welcome you to the CPD? I consider myself the president of the club. And no, I'm not talking the Chicago Police Department. I'm talking about my being a fan of the Complex Platonic Dynamic on television. I love complicated dynamics on TV. Romantic entanglements are boring and lackluster unless they're done right, which is why I can never fully ship something unless I'm shipping a dynamic rather than an actual "relationship". To me, it takes work, and a true masterpiece is a bond that is deep, meaningful, poignant...and pretty much inexplicable. Not just two people rubbing against each other. I haven't the time for that. It isn't about romance at all (though if some, not all, but some, of these dynamics of mine end up that way I wouldn't care if it were done right i.e NOT like how the ruined my Auggie and Annie thing on Covert Affairs). It's about mutual understanding and...well, I could go on for hours. Isaac and Allison. I do love it. I love them, and I loved that scene precisely because it had nothing to do with romance. It was genuine concern, and shared grief, it was compassion...and a genuine connection that had nothing to do with Isaac trying to get in her pants. It was a touching scene. I didn't have the slightest thought of it turning into anything more in that scene, and that is what made it work. Honestly, the same went for Stiles and Lydia. They've sort of been like that all summer, and I've just loved the fact that they've gotten closer and Lydia isn't just the smart,popular, "mean girl" and Stiles isn't just the awkward, goofy sidekick who gets stepped on repeatedly.
- Yes. Three big things that TW does right. Parental roles having some significance to the point where we're just as invested in the the parents as we are the kids. Druids are witches. Done.RIGHT. Love triangles. They don't distract from the show but they're still there. It's probably the most realistic way in which they choose to show them. It's brilliant.
- I've thoroughly enjoyed watching various characters who did't typically interact as much, interact. With this joining forces with one another against common evil things. I loved seeing Stiles working with the Hales and them actually valuing him. I've loved seeing Stiles with the Argents. (Shoutout to the Argents for having one of the best father/daughter relationships on TV these days. It reminds me of Veronica Mars) slightly surprised when they both pulled out all of their weaponry despite being retired. I've loved seeing Stiles and Lydia work together more. I've loved Allison and Derek sharing scenes together. Isaac and everyone who isn't Derek, he's been doing a great job of getting around.
- Angry Isaac is the best. The thing is, the kid has every right to be angry. It takes moments like those when you put things in perspective. He's the orphan looking for a home. All Isaac really wants is genuine connections, and now that he has them, he'll be loyal to them and fight for them. The idea of Mrs. McCall his surrogate mother, and Scott being gone is heartbreaking, the fact that Derek wasn't making any moves to help...was unthinkable. Peter made mention that Isaac was shifting loyalties but it has absolutely nothing to do with that at all. Isaac will hold on to Derek every bit as much as he will Scott and Melissa. But what a sucky position Isaac has been in thus far. He genuinely cares for Derek, but Derek created them all and didn't exactly do anything with them. He barely trained them, Isaac still hasn't mastered his gifts. Derek lost two of them, now that Boyd and Erica are dead, and he's been slowly losing his sister. He kicked Isaac out, to protect him, but still kicked him out, in such a manner where he was practically exploiting and using Isaac's childhood traumas with his father against him. And now Derek isn't fighting to help the others, when he's been under the impression that the others actually matter to Derek, just a little. Guilting Derek the uber loner anti-hero for getting laid was sad and kind of funny. I love how Daniel S. tries to play Issac as an American but his Brit just keeps coming through, if not with the accent, it's in the words and how he uses them or the mannerisms. I love Derek, but he has kind of sucked this season, and he really sucks at being a leader. He hasn't taken much of a stance on anything.
- So Scott's dad is an FBI prick? Didn't see that coming at all! Things just got interesting, and we got one parent on the show, that we probably won't like.
- I don't fully get the taking the place of their parents thing and dying, but I'd be so opposed to all this ice bath stuff. There just has to be another way! For once, I didn't try to look too deep into the set up of partnerships because all foreshadowing and snippets of intimacy aside, the partnerships just made sense. If they had to be tied to someone whom they had a connection with, there was no other way for it to go where it would work. Scott is fortunate enough to be connected to all of them, so he was cake, but it all really just came down to Stiles. Stiles isn't particularly close to Deaton, and he and Isaac barely share screentime together. His only option would have been Lydia, even if they hadn't kissed. She's the only one he has any real relationship of any sort with. Allison doesn't now Deaton from a can of paint and Lydia HAD to be paired with Stiles, so that only left Isaac anyway, and she has a rapport with him. Scott is the only one close to Deaton, whom, he himself has called a "father figure". But sure, foreshadowing, and tinglies, and romance or whatever. It doesn't matter. It was awesome, and I love the idea of it leading to these complicated bonds for the kiddies, since I imagine it won't change much for Scott and Deaton.
-So we finally learned that Kendra sent her little sister/cousin/mini-me "The Girl" as Isaac mournfully labeled her. and that her name was Brayden, and that she went out like a boss, but what was the purpose? I still keep feeling like there is more to her than we know.
-To Be Continued is the worst/best thing to ever appear on television. I almost wish, I'd have waited it out so that I could watch them together. At the rate I'm going, I almost did that anyway, but waiting until friday or saturday to watch two episodes of TW would have been inexcusable.
More+
Flag
A breathtaking comment which i thouroughly enjoyed. I disagree about Scott's dad though. I think it's way too soon and too little information to hate him or call him a prick. Stiles doesn't like him, but Stiles does not necessarily know all that really happened between MM and her husband. In fact, we don't even know if they are separated or divorced, we assume divorced but I don't think it was ever spelled out.
Flag
Thank you kindly, Kerkesh. Thank you kindly. I could be jumping the gun, in fact the odds of my jumping the gun when it pertains to Scott's father are astronomical. I think that's what they're banking on though. Prick until proven otherwise, based on the tension between he and Stiles and the comments that Melissa and Scott have made throughout the seasons. Also, the fact that he's been absent doesn't help matters. To clarify, I don't hate him at all because I don't know him yet, but I love all the tension that he can cause with his presence alone, and I do in fact look forward to what his sudden appearance will mean. I merely called him a prick because of his arrogant behavior and lack of tact in every scene he had with Stiles. While a guy bailing on his family could be a sore topic (I'm well aware that we don't know the full story yet,I'm just saying), I'm again, intrigued by his father showing up. The anguished expression on his face while he sat in Scott's room...nice moment. :)
Flag
1) It's a great plan if your trying to set up season 4
2) phhbbbbt!!!
3) Only choice ,all the Druidwitchplotmonkeys are too busy to help
4) The three billy goats gruff of course because big bad wolf ,Duh.
Flag
1) It's not the most ideal plan, but given that nobody seems to know where the heck the Nemeton is, they're kinda running out of options unless Stiles and Allison want to be orphans. Besides, they can't actually have it be EASY to save they're parents.
2) Nope. From what Scott said about his mom's watch, it doesn't sound like she thinks very highly of her ex. And given Agent McAbsenteeDad's comments about the Sheriff I'd guess they aren't exactly close.
3) Too soon to tell. Although I suspect Peter will benefit in some way. He was working awfully hard to make it sound like he wasn't exactly telling Derek to do it. But at least Derek did it for the right reasons, which is more than I can say about a lot of his choices lately.
4) I can't wait to find out! (Please let it have absolutely nothing to do with vampires)
Flag
Just watched the finale. It was great, with a surprise ending. I guess you can call it a cliffhanger?
Flag
I KNOW!!!! So good!! The ending wasn't really surprising to me but man some super cool scenes and developments!! I've already watched it twice and will watch it on Mon @ 10pm EST haha #IhavenolifebecauseofTeenWolf
Flag
You guys make me wanna watch it so bad.. I can't if I want, no torrent for me will work :( can't wait for Monday
Flag
I mean I kinda saw the ending coming, but when it happened I was still surprised. I don't know, it just happens I guess haha. I wonder what they're going to do with that in the rest of the season.
Flag
Just saw the episode amazing but who leaked it.
Flag
Where did it leak at?
Flag
iTunes leaked it, but I downloaded it from the pirate bay.
Flag
What do u mean by finale?
Flag
The midseason finale, episode 12. The one that airs this Monday. It was leaked this morning.
Flag
Where at?
Flag
Nah don't worry, even though I saw the episode already I'll still watch it live to support the show.
Flag
Hah, you have no idea the questions I have that are driving me up the frigging wall! But I'm glad to see some fans are still planning to watch Monday regardless. I just have to try to avoid the spoilers that I'm sure are going to be rampant. I don't think I could find out if 3b looks fun on a general level without getting spoiled out the wazoo on the finale.
Flag
Apparently iTunes accidentally released it early, and before they pulled it again some people managed to get copies floating around the usual ways, like torrents and putlockers or whatever. I haven't looked for myself, though. I plan to watch Monday. I hope people don't flock to the leak, skip the actual airing and cause the ratings to drop. That's a sure way to prevent a season 4.
Flag
I don't necessarily think that peters alphaness is back, it's just a theory but I think that Derek's alpha power transferred to Cora and Peter may or may not kill her to become an alpha again. And that's basically all I can comment on right now bc I'm really emotional at this episode what with a love triangle I hate, 2 of my favorite characters going through with deatons ridiculous plan and the parents. All of the parents ugh bye
Flag
I'd agree that Peter as Alpha automatically due to what Derek did is not feasible. OTOH, the show writers doing the annoying and building up Peter again as a villain? That would annoy me but wouldn't shock me.

Derek didn't transfer his Alpha power, the more accurate way to put it is that he USED what powers his Alphaness to heal Cora. Unless the show does an exceeding brain fart as they shown that you can TAKE the power from another Alpha by killing them (or, the new weird wrinkle, if your their Alpha, take whatever power it is a Beta has or simply juice up your Alphaness more, but also by killing). Here, we have Derek saving Cora and, more importantly, Cora not killing him (she was essentially comatose during the process, for all intents and purposes).
Flag
I think you're right, that Derek used that extra bit of alpha power to heal her. I don't think it was giving the power to anyone. I think it was just drained away and used up to fight the sickness. Clearly, Peter is up to something, but that doesn't necessarily mean he expects to get alpha power out of Derek's sacrifice.
Flag
1. Deaton...I'm smh'ing so hard right now.
2. This completely destroys my ships
3. I'm mainly super upset that now we'll never get to see Derek in his blockbuster smackdown form.
4. Que Winchesters coming to town to say 'sup to their ol' buddy Argent.
Flag
One word.. Hellmouth

That was my first thought when I heard BEACON HILLS.. will be a BEACON for monsters. That is called.. a Hellmouth. Ask Kendra the Guidance Counselor..she knows alllll about it lol

CGI Peter is baaacckkkkk... Guess he'll go all bad again. But he won't really have a reason... I mean 1st season he was just getting back people who burned down his house and killed his family. What will he do next season now that he's kinda friends with everyone..except Chris Argent lol.

Isaac cracked me up when he was like..hey..the last time you saw him.. wasn't he trying to killll you lol. And Peter bailed lol

I think its interesting everyone is failing to mention to significant people that Peter is alive..

Flag
And let's not forget the infamous Episode 14 all-parent massacre of My So-Called Life. Haha just kidding, Patty Chase would've TORE UP a demon. (But no joke, that show had at least TWO episodes with supernatural phenomena, never forget.)

Yes that show had the best Christmas episode ever... with the little girl? Ok going back to read the recap now lol
Flag
Poll

Because I'm interested... and I hadn't done a poll before (will it work, will it not? Drum roll please!). Who do you think is most likely to die in the next episode, if anyone? I think I've got everyone listed, but comments are available for those of you who can think of other people (or those who think that it's going to be a blood bath and limbs will fly everywhere as the cast is cut by half).

Flag
I reckon Scott's dad might be killed off. He's not really an important character. And Jennifer may be killed off too!
Flag
I think that Jennifer or the darach is going to bite the dust.
Flag
That seems to be the general consensus. That's who I voted for as well. I'm impressed that so many people have gone for Allison, although on this show, death is only temporary.
Flag
If this show killed off it's villains that would be the likely choice. It would also be the second female villain to die, while one of the males is still kicking it, even cancer free (and now, with more black goo!) and another got to come back to life. I voted for Kali just because it was less obvious.
Flag
Okay. Deaton's motivation. Does he want Scott to be a True Alpha (tm) or does he just want Scott (and as many people as possible) to survive? Has he got ulterior motives?

If he wants the True Alpha more than he cares about the lives of the people involved, then the symbolic sacrificial drowning might kick start Scott into True Alpha status, rather than the 'darkness around his heart' meaning that he can't become a true alpha at all, as some people have speculated. On the other hand, if Deaton is just altruistic, then maybe he's willing to sacrifice the true alphaness for the kids' parents as well.

I still think the plan's a bad idea. And I'm still a little wigged out by what 'darkness around the heart' means. Does it mean evil? Does it mean that they will be more distanced from their emotions? Does it mean that they will live every day with the knowledge of death inside them, like a little part of them will stay dead, or like they'll be closer to death. "Darkness" is such a vague metaphorical term and everyone seems to be assuming it means evil here... I'm not so sure it does. Taking the two main 'good' characters and adding evil seems like a bad idea. The show needs a moral compass.

If it's that last one, then what about Peter? Has no one asked him what it's like to be dead? I would definitely ask him. I wouldn't expect him to tell the truth, but I would definitely ask him. How often do you have the opportunity to ask someone what death is like? And it's one of the major questions of the universe.

Or did Derek ask him last season and I've just forgotten?
More+
Flag
I'm really not sure darkness equates to evil. But I do think they might be affected more by the mystical energy of the area. While that's probably not too big a deal for Scott, it could affect Allison and Stiles in big ways.
Flag
Yeah, darkness around the heart sounds to me like a lingering sadness, not evil.
Flag
Peter's been very silent on his time in the ground.
Flag
Is that just because the writers don't want to go there, do you think? Or is there something else going on?
Flag
I think the writers don't want to tackle what could be a messy future plot point, and I have to agree.
Flag
So why do the entire messy resurrection, especially given that all Peter has been since is another mouth for snarky dialogue? I think you're giving these writers way too much credit.
Flag
hi not buring ok
Flag
- Yes
- No (dad drama is boooring though)
- Yes
- Hopefully not another thing with fang~ fresh monsters with dramatic agenda is welcomed though...

Loved the Morell power-up scene.
Flag
HOLY C**P!! Just finished watching the ep! OMG! DAMN. Thought this ep started out like a horror movie and almost game me the heebie jeebies. Music was a little over dramatic in places but appropriate in the end. This is gonna be an epic finale!
Flag
So I just read the recap and remembered how I like the ending...since the beginning of the season they have been playing on the tattoo and the dream of scott drowning and it was almost prophetic because the tatoo is the scar and the drowing is the death and this whole seasons theme is on sacrifice in everyone's lives from Family stiles, Family Derek... basically EVERYONE has had to sacrifice something or revealed a sacrifice that changed them. This show is pretty clever and the review about the parents not being killed all the time is accurate. If they could just tone down the super dramatic epic music a smidge, that would be great! :D
Flag
It's also a chance to showcase Tyler Posey's tattoo lol. It's real..
Flag
I laugh everytime I read Price calling her Kendra, I always imagine her having a really bad accent!!
Flag
So, Mountain Ash: I'm fully willing to concede that the "rules" of mountain ash's repelling power are not particularly well defined, but (I believe) the narrative logic of the device remains intact, so I'm not as troubled by the earlier vagueness as it seems some are. (1) Its power is fundamentally reliant on magic. If Stiles needs to believe in the ash (of the ash tree) for it to be effective, it is not a physical property of the tree but a magical principle and therefore not necessarily subject to the same behavior of Newtonian physics as other non-magical substances. (2) Teen Wolf has never allowed a werewolf to interfere directly with the magic boundary. The wolves cannot disturb the ash line—huff and puff and blow it away, disrupt it with a tool, or any other creative plans—or demolish structures made of ash wood. Peter, for instance, couldn't just take a sledgehammer to Deaton's ash-wood vet clinic. Nor it seems can a wolf create an ash-wood circle, since this task is entirely dependent on Stiles for their trap for Jackson at the rave. Because it's magic not science, this rule makes sense. Intention and belief is built into its effectiveness already. (3) While supernatural creatures cannot themselves cross the ash boundary and cannot break it even with a tool, they can use tools to break the vertical plane. Peter can throw a chair over Deaton's counter, and Deucalion can launch his special spear at Morell. Under these rules, Scott could feasibly have thrown something to sever Deaton's noose in the vault (à la Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves), though in his defense he didn't really have anything convenient to hand.

None of this seems troubling to me, since they're basically the same rules, for example, as demon traps in Supernatural. The only possible inconsistency I've considered is how Scott's been able to work at Deaton's without being hampered by the same ash-wood protection that keeps Peter and the alphas at bay. I suppose it's just that he's got keys, but you'd think Peter and the alphas wouldn't have much difficulty breaking through doors if a lock were the only obstacle.
More+
Flag
Sorry, I get more specific elsewhere, but it reeks of convenience - and silly, as it didn't kill her, more for showy TV effect, if anything. (Can you imagine how this would have read in a novel?)

Peter broke a plastic chair inside the entry way of the vet's office. Obviously he could cross the barrier of the front door into the entry way. He couldn't go past Deaton (past the mountain ash counter) irrespective of breaking anything else in that entry way; I mean, are you proposing he could claw a hole in the vinyl flooring, dig a tunnel and arrive underneath Deaton behind the counter as well?

Please see below re Scott (as well as Stiles and Derek also being in the vet's back area) and Issac, for that matter.
Flag
That's pretty much the way I've understood the TW mythos for the mountain ash circle. I was also confused about the vault the first time Derek and Scott broke in through the wall over the ash circle. But then I realized Marin completed the circle after they broke in. The only problem that still remains is the fact that the broken vault wall was over the circle in that section. The only other way I can get my head around it is that while the rubble covered it, the circle remained unbroken.
Flag
As far as the clinic I feel like the mountain ash would be lined through the perimeter but if the door is closed it completes the circle and when open it's breaks. Deaton would just have to leave the counter door open, and wooden doors open when Scotts there.
As far as the vault there were things lined at the walls of the room, but we can just say Scott was in a panic and wasn't the quickest thinker. Anyways much of what you say makes sense to me.
Flag
As far as Scott goes, what makes more sense is that even when Deaton is aware that he was bitten and turned, he trusted Scott not to hurt him so the mountain ash didn't act as a barrier. This makes perfect logic with the whole "be the spark" aspect.

The mountain ash isn't a 24/7 defense like an a barb wired fence, it would be more like an electrical fence. It has to be turned off and on.

So, when Deaton's around, it's on. This way, it makes perfect sense that Stiles, ignorant about the vet's office OR mountain ash, can bring Derrick there and the mountain ash has no impact on him (not only because D isn't really in any shape to harm anyone, but Deaton's not there 'sparking'); likewise, Kali, Ennis and the Twunks can pass because Deaton turns off the spark and let's them inside, while he's around.

I'd have to watch the Vault episode, but the way I took it was that everything but the entry way was lined, D and S entered, and then Guidance Counselor finished the circle and 'sparked' it.
Flag
I have a question for you: Since we know that Scott worked with Deaton prior to being bitten, what are the odds of it being pure hazard? at what point did it dawn on Deaton that Scott might be the True Werewolf? I think answering that question is primordial to understanding his position now.
I will go on a limb here and advance the idea that Deaton is behind Scott being bitten and all that is happening now has been planned by either Deaton alone or the Emissaries.
Flag
I wonder will they explain the story of Chris Argents Grandfather who killed himself after being bitten in the beginning of "Motel California " .Gerard told Chris that it was The Demon Wolf Deucalion that bit him. But in "visionary" it was clear that when Chris Argent was an Adult Deucallion was a good guy until he Gerard stabbed his eyes.
Flag
I think that Deucalion was set up by someone who told Gerard that he was responsible for his father's death and that blinding him was revenge. This is of course but a guess.
Flag
I've been curious about this recently too. In fact, the whole Gerard thing made so much more sense before Deucalion was shown to be (or at least seem to be) a pretty good guy before Gerard's batshit crazy, paranoid homicidal non-diplomacy policy took full effect. It seems like we've been given a lot of tantalizing details, many of which weren't necessary for the immediate story, but they don't yet make up a very coherent whole.

Assuming that we can trust what we SAW in "Visionary," if obviously not what Gerard and Peter SAID, and assuming that Gerard is telling the truth about Deucalion killing his brother (and, of course, by "killing" I mean "biting"), then perhaps this was a kind of formative moment for Gerard. If the honor/code suicide of Victoria Argent sent Allison on a rapid almost-homicidal descent, perhaps the same can be hypothesized for Gerard. A bite, even a defensive and entirely justifiable one, that motivated Alexander Argent to kill himself could have set Gerard off, bred his distrust of Deucalion leading up to the events of "Visionary," and generally spurred Gerard to become the megalomaniacal ass we now know him to be.
Flag
Isn't it possible that Deucalion only bit Gerard's brother because Gerard's brother was TRYING TO KILL HIM?!? The same way Allison's mom got bit by Derek.

Deucalion ended up being a pretty alright guy.. until you burned his eyes out. lol
Flag
So its THE DEMON WOLFs fault that Gerard is such a prick?
Flag
MarianaO, re Allison.

THIS SHOW has the Alphalpha Pact knowing, as just one example, knowing about Derek hooking up with Teacher, even though it would be pretty obvious D isn't exactly gossiping with them about his love life and the Darach wouldn't be sharing with them either. Obviously, it's how the teens found out about the relationship, but just as with much else with the Alphalphas, they know all this crap because the writers plotted it conveniently that way.

With Boyd and Erica, all they bothered to show us was that Stiles knew they were strung up and being electrified. But in the same convenient fashion, no one else knew other than what they saw at the finale (her siding with but more being used by Gramps). Otherwise, am in full agreement with your comments about responsibility/remorse.
Flag
I've been thinking of the electricity thing for a bit and how anybody but Boyd & Erica knew that the electricity stopped the change. But then I remembered that Boyd & Isaac skipped school to help out Derek with Kali in his loft. And that Stiles, Allison (or was it Lydia?) and Cora helped re-start the electricity in Derek's apartment after Kali and twunks cut it off. So Stiles, and probably Scott, were all in on that info.

Moreover, Allison knew about it from the 1st season when she and Kate were hanging out. I really don't see Allison not asking Kate why she was using electricity on Derek
Flag
@Kerkesh

Except none of the werewolves are able to supernaturally detect any of the druids. So, if you treat the darach as just a bad-news druid, it shouldn't be surprising that Derek (and Scott and Isaac and Aiden and Ethan, or the other wolves that used her as Derek-bait, or banshee Lydia) didn't just know she was supernatural.
Flag
I don't know if you noticed that the famous werewolf instinct and spider man super sense only works when the writers have the whim to use it? Derek not knowing that jennifer was something else is just too convenient.
Flag
I can't quite read the tone in that question (question, yes?), so I think I'm going to answer sincerely. Maybe.

No, Gerard's a prick because Gerard's a prick. I wouldn't blame Derek for Allison's dead-mom spiral, and I certainly wouldn't let Allison off the hook for shooting Boyd and Erica A LOT while they were fleeing or stabbing Isaac A LOT with her ring knives. She's got to take responsibility for that and I think she has. Gerard's still self-justifying. One of the questions I still have about "Visionary" is whether the storytellers are straight-up lying or if how they tell it is actually how they remember it. Gerard may still sincerely believe that he did the right thing, because he's a warped prick. He's cultivated a worldview that paints him as a weird valiant, needfully violent protector because it doesn't allow for supernatural creatures to be human as well. A worldview that labels werewolves as monsters by definition encourages all of his despicable power-hungry, self-righteous, sadistic character traits. I'm saying that the event that the event that he could use to justify his own unjustifiable actions and perspective could perhaps be the death of his brother, which he, of course, would attribute directly to Deucalion, not his brother or the weird-ass haunted motel where he killed himself.
More +
Flag
THIS: Gerard's a prick because Gerard's a prick

Lovely comment, BTW, so well put!
Flag
I'd argue that Allison hasn't really taken responsibility for her actions at the end of last season. We never saw her interact with Boyd at all and her only comments to Isaac about it were in a tone of jest. Sadly Erica and Boyd are now dead so there's going to be no comeuppance for that, and it looks like Isaac's being hypnotised by her dimples... so I don't think we're going to ever see any genuine remorse for her unwarranted spree of torture.

Which, now I think about it, actually pisses me off. The only one who even seemed that mad at her was Derek. Which he had every right to be. He should have been madder at her (except that I don't think he knew about the Erica and Boyd arrows). Does no one know about the Erica and Boyd bit? Seriously...

I like Allison, but there should have been some actual resolution to her storyline last season. "My mum died and my grandfather's a prick" is motivation, but it's not an excuse, just like Matt's almost drowning wasn't an excuse.
Flag
i meant it jokingly but i appreciate the response and understand and agree with how you have described Gerard, very well said.
Flag
I don't agree with what deaton did but pairing them up was an upside.. Come on how long to we have to wait for Sheriff Stilinsky and Ms. McCall? I don't care what decisions Derek makes I am always on his side cause yup he's my man Crush! Foxes? JUST THROWING IT OUT THERE MY FAVORITE ALPHA IS AND ALWAYS BEEN PETER HALE... THOUGH DEREK IS MY FAVS
Flag
Does anyone know Sheriff Stilinsky's real name???? Like the man does not have a first name
Flag
It's probably just like knowing Derek's age. It's something Jeff Davis knows and if he cares to share (and it makes a plot), it will actually get scripted for us to know.
Flag
Lol until this episode we didnt know anyones first name in this family. I feel like maybe we'll get it eventually, but who knows.
Flag
He's Batman!
Flag
We've always know that it was Melissa and Chris...

I've never heard the Sheriff's name..
Flag
Oh, that Deaton ships Stiles and Lydia so bad! Good pairings Deaton, good pairings.
Flag
Deaton's warning was awesome, lets expect some awesome creatures for the following season and the best part is that around the script of the show there is a circle of mountain ash agains vampires so we will never see them with our werewolves.
Flag
Hey, Price! Great recap, yet again! I am here to answer questions!
1. Of course Deaton's idea will work. It's DEATON. He's like Yoda except for werewolves.
2. No, I doubt it. Sure there may be some drama, but in the end Mr. McCall can't beat the white hot passion between Mama McCall and Papa Stilinski.
3. Idk... but for some reason I think something is gonna happen to Cora anyway.
4. I don't know what the nemeton is gonna attract, but I hope things from different world mythologies like Valkyries, or Sirens, or Kitsune... (sorry, i'm more of a folklore geek than the darach).

Finally, quick question, what does BB mean in your recaps? best buddie? baby/babe? bona fide backscratcher?
Flag
"For some reason" you mean "Cora's actress said that she won't be on TW anymore"? xD (I don't know if she ment on 3B or season 4 though)
Flag
She won't be... Adelaide Kane is going to be the lead in the CW series Reign...

So even if they come back in the winter..technically she'll be filming Reign. It's probably the reason she's not in all the episodes on Teen Wolf.

And I just realized she was a power ranger lol
Flag
  1. Maybe if his whole plan is to put the Alpha pack and the Darach against each other to eliminate both threaths, but maybe is just a plot point for the next seasons.
  2. Considering even Stiles seem to hate the guy is obvious that Melissa and Scott aren't in good terms with him, so I doubt he interfere in Mama McCall love life.
  3. Considering his options, I don't think Derek had a choice, but is definitely going to end bad for him.
  4. I hope they explore other cultures mythology.
Flag
I love how you love this show. Really. It's like you can see into my deepest fangirly heart.
On to the questions -
  1. Seeing as I called it before last weeks' episode even ended, I'm gonna go with no. I'm really not the greatest at making decisions, so the fact that I knew this was coming does not bode well for our favorite teens. Also, can someone tell me how they got all three metal baths there? Does he what? pile them in the corner of the clinic? Also also, why are they metal?? And also, why was Isaac forced to remove his shirt and give us all hot flashes when he had to dip his toe in the metal-ice-bath-of-temporary-death and Scott and Stiles were spared such a thing??
  2. Can we just talk about how I did not see that one coming AT ALL?!?! When Stiles was sassing him at the hospital I freaked out thinking that I missed something and this guy was already there once and I just forgot about him?! I'm more concerned about him actually getting screen time at all. I was not impressed by him. And he had THREE scenes! The kidnapped parents all had me by the end of their first scenes way back in season one. Granted he was splitting his screentime with Stiles and that's not easy, but still. NOT IMPRESSED. But I digress, I'm not so sure Mama McCall is making it out at all, but even if she does I don't see how he's going to sink the mothership.
  3. I'm sorry, did you say right choice and Derek in the same sentence? HAHAHA! RIGHT!! Oh, wait, you did. OF COURSE NOT!!!! It's Derek. He doesn't get to make right choices. He's just so unlucky. Really. It's like luck sees him and runs the other way giggling madly. At this point I'm actually debating if Derek is EVER going to get ANYTHING right. Like, at all. Anything. Even furniture. That could be a good start, you know? Maybe get a nice sofa or something? Feng shui his life? I don't know, any kind of something NOT HORRIFIC will be an improvement in his life. But, yeah, no. That was a bad call and EVERYONE is going to use it against him. Including Scott. Also, I have a feeling Cora isn't going to be very grateful, I'm not digging her.
  4. What do you mean? Bigfoot. Was that not obvious?

I really loved this episode. Like, really. Usually, I find that episodes that have too many plot lines coming to a head at once tend to be less powerful because non of the stories get the proper focus, but this time it was all done right. Even the annoying slow mo.
My Stilinski feels are pretty much as overloaded as they can get (until of course, next week when Jeff Davis is gonna rip me a new one). The panic attack was done properly.. I loved it. I less love how it took Allison's dad getting snatched to provoke this in Stiles, but hey- I really can't hold anything agains him for too long. Also, I think that the kiss was done rather nicely. I'll put this out there now - I ship it. Have been shipping it since the first season. It's my first ship since Seth and Summer, so it's a big deal for me. I was sure (as was everyone) that the kiss will be mid panic attack, but I figured it will be far less romantic then it was. It still wasn't really all that romantic, but at least that idea isn't dead and buried.
Claudia Stilinski, I love you. You are the best dead mom character ever. Papa Stilinski had me curled up fetus position, crying for the love of the lords.
I'd also like to point out that the root cellar is BAMF central.
I'm really not sure how this story is going to get resolved in just one episode, but after watching this one, my hopes are up there.
See you all next week. Gutted probably.
More+
Flag
1. In answer to your question, they're galvanized steel livestock tanks, available at feed stores and used to put out water in horse and cattle pens. They're also convenient, relatively inexpensive, large watertight holders, and popular with landscapers for planters and water gardens. I imagine Deaton keeps them around to wash dogs in.

As for the Isaac question, you answered it yourself—fan service! (Personally, if I were getting into and then out of an ice bath, I'd want to take my jeans off, too, because that will be horrible afterwards!) Dylan O'Brien can't take his shirt off, though, because it will be too obvious he's twentysomething and not a scrawny teen, so they had to forego the stripping in this scene.
Flag
The PTB ruled that Stiles would have no shirtless moments ever, during the season one run, when the interwbs were melting at the sheer number of towel scenes.
Flag
I also loved the panic attack!
Although in the previous sets of 3 killings they didn't need to all be together it appears that this time Alison's dad being snatched meant that there were now 3 guardians - so they could now be killed. That was the cause of the panick attack. Not really to do with Alison's dad who Stiles seems to have no affection for - but his love for his dad.
Flag
I just watched the preview for next week (the longer one) and I feel like they are faking us out again with the whol become a killer thing. Basically because they always through a fake out in there. Second Scott looks like he is battling mountain ash again. Like as if someone interfered with he and Deucalion plan to take on Jennifer on their own and trapped him. But like Deucalion doesn't know what Derek did or Peter's wish came true. My other observation like the vast majority of all the scenes are in Derek's apartment which might end up being the ultimate victim this season. I hope he doesn't move back to the subway.
Flag
Hmmm maybe CGI Deucalion (because I refuse to believe he would call himself the Demon Wolf..without actually looking like a cartoon lol) will have a show down with CGI Peter lol.
Flag
I'm still not sure how they cleaned up so quickly after turning his apartment into a wading pool, but if Derek loses his loft to supernatural badassery (which almost certainly isn't covered in his home insurance), can the pack please move into Peter's "apartment downtown" he mentioned. Peter + Derek + Cora + Isaac + one-bedroom bachelor pad + increasingly deep necklines = Real World Beacon Hills! Make it happen, MTV. Make it happen.
Flag
I think you missed the opportunity to wax poetical about Derek's recurring propensity for picking up sexing friends who are out to kill everyone he cares about.
Isaac was all in his face, yelling about how his current squeeze is out there murdering people and it's partly his fault and how could he fall for that and what will he do and the GUILT, OMG THE GUILT!
And Derek's face was all "Yep, been there *cough* Kate Argent *cough*, done that, I suck" and Isaac didn't even realize what a bull's eye he was scoring, and poor Sourwolf was probably making eternal vows of celibacy in his head the whole time.
So. Much. PAIN!

Otherwise, my favourite, as always, was Stiles - sassing the FBI-agent (the "easy" familiarity was later explained, of course, but I have to say; Blather is an honest to god skill in several role playing games, and I see why - Stiles literally made my head hurt!), panicking, complimenting Lydia on being SMART after the kiss, and ever so willing to sacrifice himself for his dad. <3

Great episode, so many interesting and emotional moments!
Can't wait to see what happens with Derek's Alpha powers - did he give them to Cora? Will they return to him when he's had a good night's sleep? Will Peter Hale finally get to be a proper A-level a**hat, rather than slumming around as a B(eta)-level douchebag?
More+
Flag
Made me laugh.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I'm all supportive of Derek the asexual character. Take the vow dude, take the vow.
Flag
Am I the only one who really didn't like the mountain ash thing? I liked the way she made the circle, but I hated how utterly useless it was. Sure, she didn't have a lot of options at that point, so I'm not complaining about her choice to use it. But if mountain ash circles are that useless, then everyone who said that Scott should have used a broom or something when he needed to get through a few episodes back were right, and everyone who responded to them with "no dude, the show isn't silly, you are" were wrong.

Flag
Nope, not at all. The people who are defensive all-out apologists for the writers have been posting novel length 'explanations' but most people seem to have just gone: nifty sequence!
Flag
That makes me think that back in Currents Scott should have just blown on the dust really hard and gotten it to move that way. That would have been funny to see.
Flag
Touche!
Flag
I kept saying just sit down hard to tip you out. But it answers a question I had from Currents. That Scott could have thrown his jacket to disrupt it.
Flag
I seriously think I'm the only one who saw it this way, but to me she stepped out of the circle thus she was out of protection. Now that isn't to mean that thrown objects can't go through the mountain ash barrier, but for this particular case, to me, it didn't matter: Deucalion simply threw the cane while she was on the outside.
Flag
She didn't step out until she was hit with the cane. Which by the way... where can I get one??
Flag
Any antique shop. Cane swords were very common and my grandfather had one which is pretty nifty if you ask me.
Flag
The way I remember it (I would have to rewatch to make sure), the cane hit her, and then she stepped out.
Flag
And that's the debate that I've been having with people. I feel like she was outside and then fell back with her foot disrupting the mountain ash line (they zoomed in on it). Others say that she was inside and then fell backwards, but then the foot stuff wouldn't be needed imo.

I don't know, hopefully Jeff talks about it sometime in his Q&A
Flag
The foot stuff was needed...because the pack rushed her once she fell outside the circle. Had she managed to stay in the circle..she'd just be bleeding a lot and no one could help her. Which.. I think might've been Deucalion's plan the entire time. To make her get outside the circle..
Flag
@tnetennba It may be extremely unlikely, but that's the way I saw it. Again, I hope we get an explanation on this at some point in time.
Flag
I have rewatched the scene now. He throws the pointy stick and it goes into her left shoulder. Then we see her feet. Her right foot is moving back over the mountain ash line without touching it. When she sets it down, she starts to fall, dragging her left foot back with the heel to the ground. That breaks the mountain ash circle.

So the only way your interpretation can be correct is if she walked outside before Deucalion threw the cane. She would have had to either walk forward over the ash line, or backward over the ash line and then turn around, before she got hit. She did move around a bit, and even turned around, and she seemed more focused on the conversation than on where here feet were, but it would so spectacularly stupid of her to actually walk outside the line she just drew that I still can't interpret the scene that way. If that's what happened, why didn't they show us that she was outside and fell into the circle?

It seems extremely unlikely that the writers meant that she had stepped outside the circle, and if they did, that's still some really bad writing.

More +
Flag
I think maybe Deucalion's cane worked because he wasn't actually holding it - it wasn't in contact with anything supernatural, making it entirely "mundane". If he had tried POKING her with it, I have a feeling it wouldn't have penetrated the circle.

Just a thought.
Flag
Yes, I believe that's accurate. But then Scott could still have tried to throw something sharp at the rope, or, lacking something sharp, thrown anything at the ash line itself. He could probably have gotten down on his knees and blown the ash away.

Flag
Which makes the entire concept of MA as a defensive barrier non-existent and pointless.
Flag
I don't think he could've blown it away with his breath, since any part of his body cannot affect it. He would've had to either find something in the vault to slide across the barrier (not touching the item being used) or thrown something through the barrier. I'm not too sure there was anything in the vault at that time, so he would've had to take the time to search for something in the deserted part of the bank. And since Deaton's life was hanging by a thread, I'm just glad was there to shoot Deaton down.

It is very easy to say "I would've done this or that" in an emergency, but until you have to deal with a life or death situation, there's no way to know how you'd react.
Flag
These guys like to take their shirt off, so he could have used his shirt. :)

You're right that he didn't have a lot of time to think, and he also didn't have time to come up with a plan B (because someone else solved the problem for him). And angelpix24 is right that Scott isn't very clever.

But neither of these observations is a satisfying explanation, because Deaton must have explained how the stuff worked the first time they needed to use it. If you can throw things across the mountain ash line, it's almost completely useless.

It's almost completely useless, they shouldn't have been using it several times before this episode. In particular, the darach wouldn't have bothered to make a circle around Deaton, unless her plan was to get Scott to take his shirt off.

Flag
You guys do know that Scott is stupid right lol...
Flag
You're both right, it's a little confussing what happened there because the way I see it (like tnetennba does), it contradicts some previous facts.

Flag
My favorite Price-picture-captions:
Not my Face! Not my face!
FYI She stole ur shit/She stole ALLLL ur shit
I think I made out w/ur ghost?/Technically it was legal
I smell a hussy/I will snitch on a demon wolf
Exsqueeze me

What are yours?
Flag
Those ones plus "ahum" xD (the ones with Prince messing around with Scott's funny faces and his pronuntiation, basically)
Flag
Was I the only one thinking of Stiles when Peter was talking about a spark to Derek? Like maybe Stiles will be the Spark to bring Derek's Alpha Powers back to him
Flag
I was thinking of Stiles, too. I wondered whether Stiles' spark could be flared up to make him a Druid.
Flag
Their tendency to recycle words and phrases makes it hard to tell if it's just a lack of vocabulary, or if it is intended to be "spark" in the same sense as how Deaton used it with Stiles.
Flag
THIS: tendency to recycle words and phrases
Flag
I hope Peter does not die when he inevitably betrays everyone because they have just perfected his facial hair. That is some excellent facial hair.

Also looking forward to when Chris and Peter meet again, that should be interesting yet violent.

The adult's bonding in the cellar was nice and the girl in the guidance councillor's office, she was awesome.
Flag
One can only wish: "when Chris and Peter meet again, that should be interesting yet violent"
Flag
Peter does have some awesome facial hair. Usually gets a little overshadowed by his sketchiness, but people should still respect it.
Flag
I think they are saving Peter's betrayal for 3B.
Flag
I read that someone we know...is going to be the big bad next season.. *cough* Peter
Flag
If they ruin the friendship Stiles and Lydia are building thids season with romance I'm gonna be so very pissed.
Flag
Wow! Over 600 comments already? :-D
That speaks volumes about the quality of this week's episode (and of course of Price's recaps).
The pace of this episode belonged on a German Autobahn and would have gotten a speeding ticket even there!
I felt like I'd had a workout after watching TW. Seriously, how could they do that to us? To be continued… I almost had a heart attack.
For a moment there, I thought, it was the last episode before the big break. It they pull a stunt like that next week, I'm going into cardiac arrest!
AND PLEASE DO NOT KILL ANY OF THOSE AWESOME PARENTS IN THE ROOT CELLAR!!!!
That's my biggest fear concerning next week. And if one of the triplets isn't coming back from his/her dead…

This brings me instantly to your questions.

-Is Deaton out of his freaking mind?! There are so many ways his plan could go wrong. And I don't know if I wanted to be scarred for life with darkness in my heart.
This only can mean big trouble ahead. We have seen what Allison is capable of when pushed to her limits. But werewolves with a dark side? Isaac has enough psychological problems to last him a lifetime. *sigh*

-I'm hoping that Agent McCall's reappearance will be short-lived. Couldn't he be the one ending up as a parental sacrifice? If one is needed… Scott wouldn't miss him much and Mrs. McCall has two mighty fine companions to pick as a consolation prize… Pretty please? (By the way, it was so great, that this guy turned out to be Scott's dad when everyone including moi was thinking that Scott had some supernatural ancestry!)

-Derek made the right choice emotionally, but plotting wise he should have watched his uncle more closely. I've never seen Peter merrier that means that everything is going according to his plan. Will he try and kill Cora? Will he succeed? Or does he want to fight the Demon Wolf himself to get his powers? (But there's the eclipse thing coming so everyone would be powerless. Can powers shift under that kind of circumstances?)

-So the Nematon will work like a beacon and attract the weirdoes into town. Ah, wasn't there some Asian myth to be expected the other half of this season?
But please, do not elaborate. I like my Teen Wolf surprises without too many spoilers. It's getting really interesting.

P.S.: We need a hotline, ASAP. I mean, poor kid needs a mother! Badly! So call 1800-ADOPT-STILES!
More+
Flag
1. I'm not so sure about this plan! I don't think they should give MORE power to the nemiton! And couldn't they have just all split up and searched the woods for a very suspicious looking trap door in the ground? I thought that was pretty obvious.

2. NO! I really don't like how Scott's dad just showed up out of nowhere! But my theory is that Melissa may die and Scott's dad has to be there as his new parent? Hm.

3. Even Tyler Hoechlin admitted in a comic con interview that Derek is the worst alpha ever! But he did finally make a noble, but stupid, decision. I'm pretty sure he just weakened his pack, I'm just not sure how yet.

4. Kitsunes! They already announced it and hired a girl to play the part! So excited! :D
Flag
They're definitely powering up the nemiton, because they feel like they need something that explains why 1-2 new supernatural species are going to show up in every 12-episode "season". It's this show's "hellmouth".

Now they just need something that explains why they're going to spend several more years in high school even though they already look too old for it.

Flag
There has to be a reason why the Nemeton was rendered powerless or neutered by a previous generation of Druids. In fact, there seems to be very few Druids left around and we have at least to ask ourselves what became of them. There may have been another Darach back then , maybe a kind of Vordemort fugure, who came very close to making the darkness overwhelm the Nemeton. This would explain what Deaton suggested about the darkness of the heart, it is the result of a previous assault on the Nemeton. If this is the cae, then this opens up the series to a whole new dimension of possibilities.
Flag
The people who have been thinking really hard on the time line issues of THIS SHOW basically have shown that we've barely spent about 12 months in Beacon Hill in 2.5 seasons (years) of real time.
Flag
They have to stay in Beacon Hills to protect the people of all the supernatural creatures that are coming, since they are going to feel responsable for summonig all the damn bestiary to town to save their parents.
Flag
*sidebar* I know this is a bit late to realise, but why didn't the alpha's (Twins and Kali) kill Jennifer when they used her as a hostage when Derek was fighting Kali in the loft? Surely Kali, recognised her own emissary?

1) Is the plan good? Ummmm. Nope! Shouldn't plan A be preventing Jen from becoming even more powerful? Is killing the Alpha's her only plan? I doubt it! Although more supernatural residents in beacon hills, bodes well for TW future.

2) I am rooting for the sheriff! And have been since season 1. (I did not see the DAD/FBI thing coming.) Awww, Stiles and Scott would be brothers!

3) In general, I would do the opposite of what Peter says, but I think trying to save his sister is noble. :) He can always kill Peter to become the alpha again *hehehehe*, but I don't imagine that he would for self-promotion.

4) NO vampires, please!

Flag
Jennifer didn't look anymore like Kali's emissary. Remember the picture of that middle-aged woman in the patient file Mrs. McCall was showing Sheriff Stilinski?
Not even her own mother would recognize her anymore. Concerning the smell of her, the Darach surely knows how to play tricks on werewolf noses.
Flag
Did we ever find out who the heck that was in the picture in the medical file? If it was Julia and they had a picture of her, why was she even a Jane Doe? What, she had no ID on her, but kept a picture of herself conveniently in her pocket? I'm guessing she chose a different face from her original one to shape shift into from her mauled one. And since she's apparently able to use astral projection to kidnap and murder, masking her scent doesn't seem to be an issue.
Flag
Actually that makes sense... bringing a Jane Doe with a cut up face... but being able to identify her from an ID?? Then you know who she is... but the Sheriff didn't call her by Julia..

I DID NOT THINK OF THIS!!!
Flag
IT IS SO WEIRD! I think the only way they can salvage that blunder is to maybe say they kept a picture on file of some woman who found the mauled body and called the police. That's the only way I can think of to get around the plot hole of having a picture of someone in that file. Because if that's supposed to be the victim, she can't be a Jane Doe. I suppose they could say someone found out later who she was and added a name and picture to the file, but then Melissa wouldn't still be talking about her as a Jane Doe. Grrr, I hate when I have to look outside the context of the show for explanations.
Flag
... I have no idea if Deaton's plan is a good one. I'm still stuck on WTF Chris Argent's plan was. It really did go from heroic to outrageously stupid. He was just hoping she wasn't thorough or something?

... Yes! I think Melissa will pretty much tell him to take a hike, but you know he's going to be a parental annoyance. Scott needs a sanctimonious prick (and you KNOW he will be) interfering in his and his mom's life right now, like he needs another donut tattoo to match the other one!

... Yes, he's the worst alpha ever! He was the worst at 15! After that cluskerfuck of an episode, I was like 'no wonder he is so awful!' Derek is in love with manpain and needs to not be in charge of anything or anyone. I'm amazed he even pays his rent or utilities on time or if ever!

... Um...Buffy? I love Teen Wolf but could they have been ripping off the Hellmouth any harder? I know you can't just keep having random villains show up, because they just don't really do that. But wouldn't word of a True Alpha spread and bring other magical weirdos out of the woodwork?

... On a more touching note, did anyone notice that they played the love theme over the kids being pushed underwater? They played it the first time in season 1 when Scott and Allison were looking at the moon on her roof. The next time I noticed it was Stiles talking Scott back from the edge at the motel. I really like that it's not specific to a couple, it's just used when love is in the air!
More+
Flag
ARGH!!! OMFG!!! TEEN WOLF!!! ARGH!!!
Flag
I've never been so emotionally invested in a TW episode before. I was completely enthralled; hands over my mouth, tears in my eyes, it was that fantastic of an episode.

I've said it before, but they really upped the stakes this season. Everything from the plot, actors, twists, reveals seems at such a higher level than the past seasons. And it just keeps getting better.

I always had to convince people that TW was a really good show. But now, I think this past season just speaks for itself. Awesome!
Flag
This episode answered alot of questions for me. now we know there is going to be new creatures next season
Flag
Maybe even Vampires...lol
Flag
ghost maybe
Flag
I don't want vampires on Teen Wolf, there are enough shows about them.
Flag
If we ever get fairies, I blame True Blood.
Flag
Wow, this episode was mind-blowing. It was epic. But, seriously.
So many things going on, so I'm bit confused. But still, super excited about next week's episode, to see what will happen. Stiles was so amazing. He's always, tho.
Flag
I really liked this episode far more than I expected. I think a lot of it had to do with so many loose ends getting tied up into neat little bows…that and Lydia and Peter having the most anti-climactic post-ghost/lunar reanimation catch-up meeting I’ve ever witnessed in my entire life! And of course, not to be out-done by anything quite as droll as the victim of an Alpha bite meeting her former ghostly terrorist, is the incredibly well-trained and extremely experienced werewolf hunter being unarmed by a young woman who had also been literally ripped to shreds by werewolves! Like she wasn’t going to check him for weapons before leaving him tied up in her lair. And when I saw his face after seeing the tree roots, I could see him kicking himself through every binding for not thinking of that cellar in the first place! That dog whistle had better have a really good range.

Watching Stiles face fall when he saw the FBI agent confused me until I heard how the agent was disrespecting his father. I just figured that his father and the agent just “had history”. So I wasn’t too surprised to see how uncooperative Stiles was while being interrogated by him later at the school. If Stiles could keep all of the freakiness he’s been dealing with a secret from his father, there’s no way he’d let some official a-hole in on the werewolf back story. Then finding out that he was Scott’s father blew my mind! It makes me wonder just what happened between him and Melissa and how it affected Scott. And how will he take Scott being a werewolf, if he finds out. He did look like he had some serious regrets about leaving his former home life.

Stiles and Lydia kissing…yaaayyyy!!!!! :D

(In my best fake Ricky Ricardo accent) Deucalion, you have some ‘splainin’ to do!! Ms Morrell was awesome!!!I absolutely loved how and when she dropped that bomb! Once Kali and the twins were told about Enis, it was obvious that they were seriously confused. The $^!% not only hit the fan, it exploded into a 500 ton disaster for our favorite little Demon Wolf. We’re talking some serious loyalty hits on his pack.

I won’t even try to explain how Jennifer’s twisted logic made me feel; let’s just say I wouldn’t mind borrowing Gerard’s snaggle-toothed club for a few minutes. But then the entire set-up for the mid-series finale would be wasted, and it’s been such a fun ride.

Derek, how many times do you have to be told this simple fact? “NEVER TRUST PETER”! If he tells you its raining, wear sunscreen, if he says its night time, take your sunglasses. Don’t get me wrong, Peter is my absolute favorite character of the entire series. But I wouldn’t trust him a fraction as far as I could throw him, and I have a bad back. But I do love that Derek is willing to give up his Alpha-hood for Cora. Just like I loved how he was willing to give his life for Boyd and Cora in the boiler room. It is awesome, and shows how much he has grown over the series. But again, never ever trust Peter! Peter lies.

Deaton, I wish I had a clue what is up to. At first I thought he was a good guy, but now I’m not so sure. And I really cannot believe that Allison would allow herself to be drowned, but didn’t remember that her father is a damned good hunter and might be able to help the others escape. Something about Deaton’s plan is making me really nervous.

Gerard doesn’t remember where the root cellar is?! I believe that less than I believe anything Peter has ever said. And we all know that Peter lies.

1. Is Deaton's plan a good one? NO!

2. Are you concerned that the reappearance of Mr. McCall will interfere with the single-parent love triangle currently forming in that root cellar? Not really. They divorced for a reason, and I don’t think it would be a quick reconciliation considering what has happened since he left her and Scott’s life.

3. Did Derek make the right choice? I’m not sure only because I don’t trust
Peter. If anyone else had told Derek that bit of werewolf lore, I’d be more confident that it might work without seriously bad repercussions.

4. What kind of monsters will come runnin' to Beacon Hills
NOW? Pinhead? Pumpkinhead? The Grimace? I’m hoping for a were-bear, and maybe a few were-cats. Let’s go for the gusto, how about a dragon!

More+
Flag
Let me first say, re-cap so great!

This was an intense episode! So many currents of emotions flowing around, events are coming to the climax and it is felt by all, great episode in that regard and there were many things I adored about this episode, however, like last episode a few things left me confused and I’m gonna come to that in my post.

What a great start, Stiles using a tried and true method of waking Derek from unconsciousness! (I think we have to assume that he did check to see if he needed to perform CPR and Derek was still breathing, ‘cause that’s what you do) Also Tyler Hoechlin’s acting has been superb, he gives Derek a lot of depth even with the slightly stoic face, just wanted that out of the way because I feel like Dylan is always given a lot of props for being awesome and he definitely is, however that doesn’t diminish the fact that we’re invested in Derek because Tyler pulls a lot emotion through the cracks in a stoic façade.

Why was Peter hiding from the Argents? Really? I mean they must know (cause Derek pointed out that Lydia helped resurrect him in front of Allison) so why run away? Chris was open to shooting Kate if she didn’t step down so… yeah I’m just a bit confused by this.

Damn now I’m gonna alienate people, but I’m kinda with Derek in this scene, where he’s driving Stile’s Jeep? Is that a thing? Stiles is kind of ridiculously attached to it so I was kind of like hey what? But back to Scott’s joined Deucalion and I’m not helping anyone before my sister is guaranteed to live. So the alienating, I get it. This is his last family member besides Peter (who is kind of a grey area, cause he did get killed by Derek before) and really why would he prioritize the parents of the two people who’ve been working against him the last two seasons? Not to mention Scott betrayed him in possibly the worst way imaginable: he violated the guy, used him as a weapon, without consent. That was vicious and I’m blown away by the fact that it was kind of glossed over in favour of Scott: I had a plan too (which was really Deaton's brain child so… not really my plan)

Uh-oh the FBI is here and stiles does not like this dude, at ALL, he was back to being really snarky for a little scene there. Dude was rude too, asking if his dad had taken to dropping into the bottle (which he presumably did for a while after his wife died and he wasn’t there) because he was not around, and that’s just not ok at this junction. Hate on FBI guy (before we found out, dude is Scotts estranged father!)

There is just one thing… why is the FBI there at all? This was one bit confusing me, because as I understand from watching shows with FBI guys (Bones for one) they only appear when the crimes are not confined to a single state, aka it’s a federal crime thing.
And did we need the Tag about who was next? Not really

Now to the Isaac blow up scene: some people are really annoyed about this scene, I wasn’t particularly annoyed, it did fit in a lot with angsty over-stressed traumatized teen taking his frustration and powerlessness out on the nearest figure of authority. Anyone else confused as to Isaacs legal status? I mean guy is never not around, he seems to have lived with Derek at the loft, now with Mama McCall, but who the fuck is his legal guardian? Derek?

A thing I find incredibly annoying though is the tons of blame Derek keeps being piled up with. Gods know he isn’t a perfect alpha, but he chose three people, for a number of complex reasons, one of them might have been loneliness and you know what? Can you really fault someone for wanting to give people in which he sees bits of himself a chance to connect? ; this is beside the obvious alpha’s need for pack. And they did agree even when they knew it was dangerous, the consented, he gave the bite as a gift.

(here is where I think the Paige story jars with the past season… He was way too calm about giving the bite to people for a guy who’d had his first love dying from a failed bite, also his deep confusion about Jackson’s reaction… I feel like the Paige story makes these things not fit and it IRKS ME!)

Back to Derek as an alpha, dude is not great, but Derek couldn’t possibly have for seen what would happen, he couldn’t have warned of dangers which he might not have imagined. Dude has done alright with what he had! I might also point out that he didn’t just go out and bite more people to grow his pack for more power, which would have been logical, it makes tactical sense too. But the writers have written it in such a way that we’re to have a really negative look on Derek and I find it a bit unfair, because it’s mostly to make Scott look more positive, like he could have done better? The guy who REALLY hated being a werewolf (and then was a hypocrite about it, because he kind of used the new talents to become a popular guy and cheat at sports)

Peter is as always highly creepy and suspicious, and I just can’t grasp the guys motives, there hasn’t been any real indication what he desires, we don’t even know if he genuinely cares about either Derek, Cora or the Pack at all, does he even feel it?
This is a thing that’s weird to me too, is there awareness about the bonds between pack members? I’m asking because Cora equated losing a pack member was worse than anything else, because it felt like losing a limb, which suggests some sort of deeper bond… but so far we haven’t seen any evidence about this not really, well not really Derek did know Scott was dying when he howled at the rave… so was that in the howl or in an awareness of Scott?

Again weird about how they seem to forget about Deaton, I know they aren’t on the greatest terms, but calling your local emissary about a possible druid related cause for a dying werewolf, just sound logic, before jumping ok, I’ll use the alpha spark to burn out the bad mojo in Cora.

Ok! Now we come to the crux of the problem for TW at the moment in my opinion: Alpha power and werewolf status designations. What we know is that there are three designations: Alpha, Beta and Omega.
We know that during a werewolf’s life there is the chance of shifting from one to another (Derek remarking on his frankly quite simple but really beautiful tattoo) issue he is how exactly this functions and the Alpha power/spark. (also if the spark ignites the golden beta eyes to a flaming red, why does it do the same to the cold depths of the blue eyes of someone who has done the great sin of taking an innocent life, you’d think the spark would turn them back to gold but no more in you think poetically about it)

Nr. 1 Issue, how do Alphas happen? (besides the insanely rare True Alpha, which turns up only like once a century) Assuming there are only the two ways we know, to take the power or to gain it by strength of character (which Scott lacks imo) there is a limited amount of alpha “sparks” in the world, but what the when a hunter or another alpha kills an alpha does the spark vanish? If that’s the case alphas would die out quickly, not to mention would you have to kill your alpha when the time comes for the progeny to take over in the pack?
Basically my issue lies in the power of alpha hood, and also, if say seven omegas came together would they be betas or a group of omegas without an alpha? And if they do become betas would it not follow that one of the betas would become an alpha?
There is some plot holes here and currently it’s one of the biggest to me.

I do hope they don’t turn Derek permanently into a beta, I would still like to see him become a good alpha. I just between him and Scott I just think Derek would do better with a good advisor and a calming hand than Scott would ever do really, Scott is still too much of an idealist and soft hearted to make a decent leader

Let’s talk briefly about Lydia, wonderful scene with her and her mom, she’s such a deep character too, and I’m constantly blow away by how great it is to see someone like her on TV and Holland is great too, spot on.
Concerning the Stydia kiss, I actually liked it, it felt genuine, I mean here Stiles is having a panic attack and Lydia is trying to calm him down and she’s not doing well, she’s failing kinda spectacularly and she’s kind of panicking too, and the only thing she can think of is do something shocking to make him hold his breath! KISS! Also I feel like it was good because it was kind of like they both felt it was kind of weird and awkward really, I really feel like this could be the end of Stiles’ crush on Lydia, like now it’s done, she kiss him and it was odd and not at all as expected and he can be over it.

Urgh as I’ve commented on before, I don’t get the Isaac/Allison, I feel like it’s so forced, also people forget she tried to murder him in season 2, not to mention their complete lack of personal interaction outside of the mission. But there is supposed to be romantic undertones in these bits that are thrown at us, when they have these forced intimate moments during moments when they are together and they endure distressing realizations or traumatic events…

Sheriff story, amazing, props to everyone! That was intense and emotional and now we know the origin of stiles panic attacks and that the Sheriff has been willfully blind because he refused to believe.

Kendra is so magic it’s amazing! I was like damn girl! Working against the alpha pack revealing Deuc’s dirty laundry… she’s one BAMF srls! I’m liking her a good deal now.

ISSUE! Why does no one know where the damn Tree is? Why is deaton not in the know? He’s a druid? Is it outside of BH? But that’s nonsense because Wolves used it as a hiding spot when hunters found them. So explanation for Deaton not knowing but Julia does know? I have big issue here, it made little sense, actually as little sense as Talia stealing the knowledge of the location for both their minds… I get why she would take them from Derek, he’s broody enough that he’d probably mourn Paige there endlessly (if I was at all into that story)

Another Issue, how exactly can they be substitute sacrifices? No hear me out, they are supposed to die, but it’s not supposed to be permanent, and if they’re not really giving up anything how is that a sacrifice really? I mean yes chance they do die, but if all of them are expecting to live after is it a sacrifice?
Also did it seem to you all that Deaton suggested that the nemeton is dark and evil and they’ll feel blackness around their heart forever? Because they’ll be linked to the tree (like to the tree and its power or just an awareness of it?) but it’ll be a beacon, wouldn’t it then make sense to somehow purify he tree if possible? I mean the tree s just a tree a well of power, and it can be tainted it should be able to be cleaned… also a beacon that is black?

Ok Stopping here... Seriously rambling now!

Price Q’s
    1.Deatons plan is horrid! I mean can’t he tap into the telluluric lines (which just sound like ley lines to me but more sciency) to figure out the trees location, or meditate and find the dark power the tree emits (because ok, seriously the tree must already be a beacon yes? If ms Darach has been using its power and done sacrifices) This plan makes me highly suspicious of deaton actually… I just feel like there seems so many other reasonable options. Like if you can link to the tree, why not somehow call blood to blood and have the children be drawn to the parents?
    Just yeah.
    2.Hmm not really, it’ll be interesting to see his impact on the town really.
    3.If he did become a beta (which I would hate if it’s permanent, sorry but I liked him as an alpha, trying to grow into the role) and it was a very Derek thing to do, and sorry but I find that real strength of character, being willing to part with power and save one you love? Was there really another choice (expect Call DEATON!? To find out if that was the ONLY solution)
    4.I wanna see redcaps, kelpies, tanukis, Feng-huang, gargoyles, etc. As long as they don’t have vampires and demons I’m good to go!
More+
Flag
I'm not really sure why you see idealism and compassion as impediments to being a good leader. From what I've seen and experienced, those qualities combined with an ability to trust in others capabilities (and conversely having them trust in your capabilities), to follow your conscience and to see the "big picture" are what is required of a good leader.

Scott has slowly, and a bit unevenly, been showing those qualities. Yes, he's made some bonehead decisions, but he's also realized when he did them and has learned from those mistakes. On the other hand, Derek has, for very valid reasons, serious trust issues. And the person he has been trusting completely, Peter, is the one person who he knows is untrustworthy. He also tends to leap before he looks, seeing only a goal without trying to see any pitfalls. Case in point: the bank vault rescue. Both Stiles and Scott kept asking a key question which Derek kept ignoring, why had the Alpha pack waited so long, and why specifically keep the betas in the bank vault. Right before the rescue, Scott asked him again and warned him that there was an unknown risk, a piece of the puzzle missing. Stiles was still hammering on Peter the fact that Scott and Derek didn't have enough information. And Derek just punched his way into the vault without any hesitation. While that may be an admirable quality in a good soldier, a decision like that will lose an officer his command in a heartbeat. No leader should ever go into a battle without enough information to make sure the troops he leads will be able to survive the encounter.
More +
Flag
Scott doesn't have the necessary capabilities to be a leader, he has plenty of good qualities. His idealism makes him a bad leader because he refuses to see the fact that somethings are not as he imagines. He has a firm belief that he can reason with people who are not going to reason with him, he's too willing to trust people. he doesn't have the determination to do things that are morally wrong but ultimately the best for all. Idealism is sort of a blindness to reality especially in the case of Scott.

Derek's trust issues aside, he was more invested in the siuation than either Scott or Stiles, and the fact of the matter is they're all three of them prone to act before knowing all the facts.
The fact was that by the laws of bounded rationality Derek made the correct decision.
We were talking about life and death here, it was the night of the full moon, everything suggested one or both betas would die before the night was done, there was no time for them to flounder about because there were unknown variables they had no ability to create a contingency for.
The fact of the matter is that Scott was pulling back because there were risks involved he couldn't see and in life these things allways happen, sometimes you need to make a decision based on what you know, or the consequences could outweigh the benefits of waiting.

We'll agree to disagree I think.
More +
Flag
Not necessarily. I agree that Scott doesn't have the capabilities of being a leader, but he has consistently said that he does not want to be one. He is a bitten werewolf, and one that had not been given the choice of change. all through season 1, he fought to get to terms with his new being, only to be again thrown into the midst of a werewolf situation he knew nothing about. Derek was too busy with his own issues to teach Scott the rudiments of werewolfship (if that's a word :-) ), and then the Argents showed up with Allison and her family bent on his destruction. Scott was never given the chance to take a breath and learn to be a werewolf. Instead, for reasons that have only now been revealed to him, he became the center of several ploys. Scott is pulling back because he is a teenager, it is as simple as that. he is not an adult, who has the experience of life and the knowledge of the self, which would prepare him to become or assume leadership.
Scott sees the good in people, despite his recent experiences, and yes, would like to see the silver lining of all this mess because of youthful optimism. What is stopping him from action and the taking of risks is that he has been until now, literally now in the series, he did not know his full potential, even if people where telling him he is this extraordinary being, Now that alphahood has been triggered, we will see to what extent is your accessment correct.
More +
Flag
I agree but would like to point out that Derek had lost his family for a while when the Argents massacred his clan, found himself with Deucalion until he found out his plan of pack genocide. He returned to discover his uncle Peter in hospital, near death; and an alpha yet unknown on the loose.
What I am trying to say is that Derek came very close indeed into turning Omega. It is only the existence of Scott that saved him, and when rejected by him, his only solution was to attempt to recreate his own pack.
From hence on, he was confronted again and again with situations that he could not handle; especially the discovery that the unknown alpha is his uncle and that his uncle wanted to kill him or dominate him.
What I am saying is that Derek needs to be given some slack, as he had to confront the worst events a werewolf can face.
Flag
What do you mean 'found himself with Deucalion'? I thought Derek and Laura went to New York (at least for a little while). Laura was the alpha and Derek was the beta. We didn't have any indication that they joined another pack, did we? Let alone Deucalion's.

Did we?

Have I missed something?
Flag
@MarianaO
I am confused by the timeline as well, so that makes at least two of us :-) . Another idea crossed my mind reading your comment. It is maybe that Deucalion wants to resurrect the dissimated packs that Gerard killed during that confrontation. Maybe there is a kernel of sanity in his madness, that by concentrating all the lost power of the now extinct packs unto himself, he is making sure that Hunters as the Argents will never destroy it.
Flag
@Kerkesh

I just thought that Deucalion knew his family in general. He seemed pretty close with Talia in the flashback episode and it makes sense that he would have... come round for dinner or something. I didn't think there had been any indication of a greater connection than that.

If the timeline's correct and JB was "killed" only a few months after the Paige thing, then the Hale family would still have been alive when Deucalion started killing his pack and convinced Kali and Ennis to join him. That means that by the time of the fire, the alpha pack would have been established...

Although the timeline's a little elusive at the moment, so maybe I'm getting confused.
Flag
I guess so.When Deucalion had Derek pinned, he kind of alluded to the fact that they knew each other. Also, when Derek found the trisekle painted on the door of his house, he explained that it was his business and did not want Scott to be involved. Lastly, he keeps on nsisting that Derek should kill one of his pack and it was kind of clear that he was the reason they showed up at Beacon hill in the first place.
Flag
Great recap, as per usual Price. Especially love that little Star Trek shoutout in the title.
Deaton.... Hmmm. Not sure about the plan. But you're right, he is very shipper aware, for a vet.
If stiles dad and Scott's mum don't get together I will cry. Boo to Scott's dad.
Poor Derek, he can't catch a break. I think it's for the best, he is a very loyal and good guy, but a terrible leader. Although there is definitely something going on with Peter. But I'm glad, love his snark and swauve charm.
As for new monsters... I'm on board, as long as there are no vamps or those stupid kitsunes that everyone is always on about. Maybe some creepy pagan gods or something would be awesome. Or ghosts! Wouldn't mind a ghost or two. Or goblins. But no angels or demons. Supernatural calls dibs on those.

Flag
1) I didn't exactly understand the whole plan so I don't know.
2) I hope not
3) Of course, he saved his sister after all
4) I read something about a Kitsune but I'm not sure

Flag
I "think" now that Derek has relinquished his alpha powers to save cora his powers might end up going back to the person he took them from which is Peter,
Flag
Why? Logically speaking, of course....
Flag
We are told that a Beta becomes an Alpha by killing one; and when derek "kills" Peter at the end of season one, he achieves his alphahood. At least physically, because the rest of the series sure proved to us that he was not mentally ready to assume that status.
Then Peter resurrected with the very reluctant ,help , to say the least, of Lydia. This is where it gets delicate: that "resurrection" was possible outside from the occult sphere of the Druids who have initiated the transformation of werewolves and control the balance of status , perhaps, to a degree,.
Peter hence came back as Beta. Since then he has pretty much remained outside the action or the initiative to action, unless it becomes necessary. The official reason is that he is recuperating from the Kadima, but I think he has shown, especially in this episode, of signs that he has not abandoned the idea of rising again as an Alpha. He cannot kill Derek, not because of kinship, but because the latter is so deeply involved in the present situation and no one knows how that will go.
Depleting his alpha power to cure Cora leaves the pack without an Alpha, which from what I understand is impossible. This void has to be filled, and this is where the weakness of Derek opens the door for Peter to rise: sheer determination. At this point, I think Peter can regain his alphahood simply because he wants to.
More +
Flag
I think this power was used to cure Cora, hence was spent and gone into that cure. At the same time, it might cancel his overpowering Peter and hence get the result of giving a chance for Peter to regain his alphahood
Flag
Phenomenal episode
1. Deaton's plan opens up a lot of questions - can Scott become an Alpha if he has "permanent scars of evil branded" into his heart???
2. So concerned, like 10 concerneds right here
3. Derek saved his sister which was the right choice, and he wasn't wrong when he said he wasn't the best Alpha, but I love Derek so his choice has me super worried
4. The abominable snowman!

P.s. Love Peter when he saw Lydia, so great
Flag
I thought he said permenently scarred but did he say or alluded to that being evil? We still do not really know what the Nemeton will turn like when all is said and done.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members