A Teen Wolf Community
Monday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television

Teen Wolf S03E07: "Currents"

Death is a tacky tramp who WILL start a fight with Joy and Love in a nightclub bathroom. The nightclub, of course, is called Human Existence and it serves overpriced drinks and plays too much Alice Deejay. But if we're being honest, the presence of Death and her bad perm is a major selling point of this joint. Yes, she is constantly windmill-hitting other club goers, but it really keeps things interesting, you know? 

This 100% perfect metaphor is brought to you by Teen Wolf and supernatural dramas and ALL dramas in general, because all good storytelling is positively death obsessed. For as much as we claim to hate the Grim Reaper IRL we definitely have a long and illustrious love affair with this figure when it comes to serialized dramas. Death keeps the stakes high and the terror delicious. Unfortunately that often translates to a high body count among characters we'd come to know and/or love. The Vampire Diaries for example has killed off so many characters it's now safe to start referring the show's events as the Mystic Falls Holocaust of the 2010s. Teen Wolf, on the other hand, has been far more reluctant to kill characters and that includes even villains. I can count on one hand how many regular or recurring characters have been permanently killed in all 2.5 seasons so far (I have a few extra fingers), and personally I like the lack of closure with villains, especially if it means they get to return to the show as snarky sidekicks or ooze-spewing invalids. The low body count also makes death feel more shocking and profound when it does occur, which is why "Currents" felt like such a heavy blow: One kindly werewolf bit the dust and a second was properly mourned! Well, congratulations Death, you've thrown a Long Island Iced Tea in our faces once again! 

I really enjoyed "Currents." It was insane. Let's talk about it!

So the episode began more like an episode of ER: Beacon Hills as Scott's mom dealt with an influx of car crash victims. Right off the bat it was clear something strange was going on... People in this town die from NON-monster related causes? Whoa, too real.

Scott did his part by bringing his mom some tacos and also using his werewolf powers to suck the pain out of people. Scott is a very nice kid in my opinion. I mean this in all sincerity, he is the rare lead character I actually root for.

So then Ethan dragged Danny into the ER with an unexplained ailment and they were immediately bumped to the front of the line because they are hot hunks and that's just how the world works. 

P.S. This lady in the background is my new favorite character:

We've all been there, girl. 

So then this happened:

Uh Danny, what have you been eating? Let's take a look:

Uh, first off, where was the cutesy forced hashtag for THIS scene, MTV? Anyway, Danny had been eating mistletoe for some reason. Question: Everyone knows that if two people stand under mistletoe they have to kiss, but what happens when two people stand over mistletoe that's been regurgitated on a hospital floor? Asking for a friend.

So one of the reasons the ER was so impacted was because the main doctor lady was stuck in traffic getting hassled by moths.

But WHOOPS! Suddenly all the moths swarmed inside her car and slapped her face with their wings and tried to fly in all her face holes and also this happened:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! 

So it turned out that eating mistletoe was a real bad time and Danny almost died because his insides were like, "No me gusta." But then Scott's mom stabbed him in the lung to help him breathe and he survived. Phew!

This prolonged beat of Scott just being in awe of his mom was really touching sorry. If you were feeling heart-cold before this scene, it was probably all warmed now.

So anyway, outside, Ethan was trying to explain to Scott that he and his pack had nothing to do with harming Danny, and that the twins had dated both Danny and Lydia in order to find out which one of them was important to him in the scheme of things (Lydia). Then this happened:

It was the lady doctor's car! But when they looked inside she was nowhere to be found!

Just that moth. You'll pay for this, moth.

Meanwhile in some other part of town a SECOND doctor had been discovered murdered. The crime scene rubberneckers included THE DEMON WOLF, his #2 boy hunk, and also a werewolf hunter giving them some truly hilarious side-eye:

The Alpha pack was still super into tagging:

Derek was getting very nervous that the pack was about to come get their revenge for a killing he didn't even do. Ugh, werewolf honor codes.

Oh boy, then this scene:

I mean. Believing that a third doctor murder was imminent, Scott and Isaac stayed up all night watching over Mrs. McCall and drinking soda pop. (Haha that framed picture of Scott placed directly over Isaac's dreaming head.) 

Then Mrs. McCall woke up and pretended that her heart wasn't bursting from feels.

Sorry everybody, I know I am a grown adult but THESE FEELINGS ARE NOT MY FAULT & THIS LIFE IS NOT MY OWN.

Anyway, later on at school Scott accepted a phone call from his boss during class:

It was very spooky when the veterinarian calmly explained to Scott that he was about to be kidnapped by moths and then he turned to watch the window as moths gathered there and blocked out the sun. Uh, but, could you elaborate on that, dude? Maybe keep your GPS on so that Scott can more easily follow you after tons of moths whisk you away to wherever? I don't know, maybe the vet was just too surprised by all the moths kidnapping him to think up a better plan. Still so creepy though!

So then Boyd and Isaac called out of school sick with explosive diarrhea and offered to help Derek fight off evil werewolves.

So yeah, that was the plan: They'd flood Derek's expensive loft with water so that a barefoot alpha could be more easily electrocuted. Perfect. A+ plan. No need for a backup plan. Proceed, gentlemen.

Meanwhile at the now-missing veterinarian's clinic, Sheriff Stilinski was asking tons of questions but getting nowhere in his murder investigations (did the FBI get bored and leave town?). That's when Scott decided now might be a good time to finally clue him in on the town's monster situation.

Stiles was against it at first and he used the same kind of terrible logic that has become a beloved trope for this genre: Characters trying to "protect" people by keeping them in the dark about the existence of monsters. Because yes, ignorance and lack of education always do people right. Anyway, in a refreshing twist, even Stiles came to acknowledge that his dad probably deserved to know what was going on, if only so that he wouldn't look like THIS all the time:

In my opinion whenever human characters start getting "IN" on the monster narrative, things get way more fun. Like now that Lydia, Mr. Argent, and Mrs. McCall all fully know what's going on they have way more to do and are actually more fun to see interacting with our heroes. (Could someone debrief Danny soon?) Plus, as Scott pointed out, he and his mom grew even closer after he came out to her, so maybe Stiles has that to look forward to?

Lydia and Aiden tried to have a shirtless hug in the locker room but the fire alarm went off and also Derek's sister showed up to hassle her about dating villains. I liked that Lydia pointed out she'd accidentally been dating a villain all during Season 2 and therefore didn't really care anymore as long as the dude was hot. YOLO!

Oh, so, we also got official confirmation that Kendra the guidance counselor was indeed the veterinarian's sister, and she recommended to Stiles that they put Lydia's paranormal intuition to the test to try to find out where the moths had taken him (uh, Kendra, maybe YOU should look into his whereabouts also?). Unfortunately Lydia didn't have much to offer ability-wise, as she insisted she wasn't psychic and didn't really know what they wanted from her. But in my opinion she was just being difficult seeing as she'd just recently spent a night listening to suicidal ghosts. Get real, Lydia. You know sh*t.

Meanwhile Scott had an encounter with THE DEMON WOLF in the music room, and the dude confirmed what we'd assumed: The Alpha pack have nothing to do with the druid shenanigans and a team-up might even be in order. But first! He wanted to torture Scott a bit more by making him snatch the pointy-edged walking stick away from him. Which of course was impossible because this was THE DEMON WOLF after all.

Then he was like, "follow the currents" and took off to go grab a sandwich or something. Very helpful.

Are any of you shipping these two:

I mean, a romance is inevitable right? Anyway, Mrs. McCall pointed out to Stiles' dad that the victims had been hung from their wrists until they died, meaning the vet could go at any minute. A cut-away revealed he was also hanging in the bank vault from earlier in the season. So, uh, yeah. Discount rate on abandoned bank filming locations?

Here's the thing. If you're going to use the close-up of a phone in lieu of exposition, maybe have the texts make sense? Like, this is supposed to be Scott's phone but who sent whom these texts? Did Scott say "I think I found something" to Allison? I don't know, I don't use Android. But also, why did she wait a full day to answer his urgent question? Also, why wasn't SHE in school? Explosive diarrhea? Doesn't matter, because then we cut to THIS scenario:

Yup, Scott got a boner while he and Allison were hiding in her closet so that her dad wouldn't know they'd been going through his junk. Although, who wouldn't get a boner with that weird pilgrim dress Allison was wearing. Then she turned around and he rubbed his boner on her butt then they almost kissed but then didn't. Teens!

After Allison decided to stop rubbing up on Scott's boner, they left the closet and waved a UV wand over secret symbols on her dad's map of the town. Clearly ever since Mr. Argent had been keeping busy ever since he decided to get back in the saddle (the werewolf-hunting saddle), and that included sussing out all the locations in town where druidic kidnapping victims were to be found. Cool research project!

Meanwhile at Derek's loft, the 2-man boy army grew restless waiting for the showdown to begin. That's when the lights cut out! (And, therefore, their #1 line of defense.)

Not only had the barefoot lady Alpha arrived, she'd brought a hostage!

Kali's logic was pretty sound actually. Threatening Derek's boo's life was the only way Derek would agree to tell his boy army to stand down. So yeah, everyone then just became simple spectators to Derek and Kali's super wet splash party.

After the gang had deduced that Danny had been targeted by the druids but NOT sacrificed, they wanted to figure out why. It turned out he'd written a paper about magnetic field currents in town. Oh Danny, what a rookie mistake. It's like TLC said, "Don't go chasing [magnetic field currents]." But I just wanted to point out what the late rave enthusiast Mr. Harris had written on Danny's proposal. Do you see what I see? HE ALSO pluralized nouns with apostrophes! Because of course he did. Man, and he was a TEACHER too. Now we know where Allison got it from. Anyway, I'm not saying he deserved to die for pluralizing nouns with apostrophes, but I am saying it just got way easier to mourn him.

I will NEVER not love a scene that involves teens gathering in shadows to figure out crimes. It's one of my very favorite things and this scene was AMAZING. First of all it made next to zero sense. Granted I am not an intellectually diligent viewer, but this conversation about Beacon Hill's magnetic field currents was SO baffling. That being said, my brain was tingling the entire time? The ENTIRE time my brain was a'tingle. These kids are so smart! I mean, it all culminated in them realizing that the veterinarian was being held in the bank vault (because currents) but the most intriguing thing about this scene was it set up the town as having a mysterious, paranormal energy to it which might finally tie together all the non-werewolf supernatural phenomena. Druids, Lydia, Peter Hale, the Kanima, the Vet & Kendra. Whereas it once felt like there was no rhyme or reason as to what was going on with this town (which I didn't mind), the show is slowly and patiently tying together loose ends from SO long ago that things are starting to feel more epic by the episode. Anyway, yeah. I loved this scene so much even though I've never felt dumber. Gotta love a show that throws tons of complicated concepts at you and trusts you to keep up. I couldn't but it was a thrill all the same.   

Maybe I imagined this but for a minute there it seemed like Stiles and Lydia were about to have a 'moment' but then they got distracted by the pouty werewolf in the backseat. I guess she was worried about Derek or whatever because at the moment he was fighting a she-beast in ankle-deep water.

Yeah it was the same old kinda flippy, kick-slappy fight they normally did, just way wetter. On the upside at least Kali was washing her feet in the process?

Meanwhile Scott went to the bank to go find his boss but was chagrined to discover he'd been surrounded by a circle of Mountain Ash. Which meant he couldn't get through it or break the circle, not even with a rolled up newspaper or a hard sneeze. But still he tried!

He pushed so hard against that force-field that he almost turned into an Alpha for a second! But then he didn't and then he fell down and Stiles' dad popped by to shoot the veterinarian down from the ceiling.

At first it seemed like the Sheriff had finally been clued in about all the paranormal stuff (Stiles said he'd do the honors) but in actuality he'd just found the teen detective agency's paperwork and recognized the bank symbol on them. That was actually some good police work on his part! Kudos.

The rest of the gang showed up at Derek's pad and turned the power back on. 

Unfortunately that meant both Boyd and Derek also got shocked!

But instead of finishing Derek off, the Alphas had an even worse indignity in mind.

They made him murder Boyd with his own claws!

I had to watch this scene four times because for the life of me I could not make out what Boyd was saying as he died, but it ended up being actually very poignant. He thanked Derek for changing his life, then talked about finding strength in a lunar eclipse, which I think is now officially this show's metaphor for werewolf death? 

And then, get this, we got a cutaway to Erica in the vault before SHE died, giving a short monologue wondering what happens to werewolves during a lunar eclipse. Seriously poignant. And in a fitting tribute to Erica's memory, we saw once and for all that she hadn't gone down without a fight: She'd attacked Kali in a rage and lost.

Farewell Boyd and Erica. I know a lot of people didn't much care for these characters but I really did and here's why: They along with Isaac were basically this outreach program that Derek started as a result of his own loneliness. They all benefited from knowing each other as a group, but individually three troubled kids' lives were sincerely improved by not only their werewolf powers but also their friendships with our heroes. Boyd and Erica's existences were not only touchingly redemptive, they were also living endorsements of just how good Derek and Scott were as people (and, in a way, as parents and brothers). Sure, Erica's death felt like a way for the writers to clear the way for Derek's actual sister, and perhaps Boyd didn't have much to do from a story standpoint either. But they both represented the earnest goodness that is almost Teen Wolf's entire thesis statement. Ordinary kids made extraordinary, making mistakes but finding their ways. I will miss them. 

:(

So anyway, the episode ended another appearance from Gerard, first as an object of scorn from Mr. Argent who wanted ANSWERS NOW OR MAYBE TOMORROW about what THE DEMON WOLF was up to. But then right after he left the room Allison popped by and Gerard seemed much more eager to talk. The glimmer in his eye when he saw what a rebel his granddauhther had become was pretty thrilling to me, I don't know. Let's see where this goes!

Oh, and by the way, the veterinarian definitely noticed Scott's red Alpha eyes.

As he explained, in very rare cases, Alphas are born, not made. Which meant that Scott was some higher echelon Alpha. A chosen one. A werewolf messiah. A Jesus with a better haircut & torso. And because of that, it was more likely than not that the Alpha pack wanted HIM, not Derek, to join them. All these implications were just a lot for a teenage werewolf to handle!

Again, call me a sap (no, don't!), but this scene was also pretty powerful in its earnestness. As the veterinarian explained, Scott's innate Alpha-ness was either causative or correlative to his pureness of spirit. Like that earlier scene where he just sponged away a lady's pain, how he openly praised his mother, how he'd opened his home/bed to a troubled hunk orphan. Scott IS a genuinely decent guy and in a very low-key, unassuming kind of way. Personally I've always had a ton of affection for this character because yeah, he's kinda dopey and uncertain, but he's never less than genuine. Everything that he is is right there on the surface on display and it's downright refreshing. Look, I guess I just thought it was really touching to see the veterinarian borderline overcome with awe for this kid. He deserves it!

Dang, look at me, a grown adult working through almost all my emotions via a show about werewolves. Sorry, that's life sometimes. Deal w/it.

(Can we talk about the scenes from next week yet? Is that a spoiler? Because, um, FLASHBACK EPISODE! Young Peter Hale! Yes!)

(BYE)

QUESTIONS:

... Did this episode make you feel emotional at any point be honest.

... Who will mop up Derek's apartment now?

... How much mistletoe is safe to eat/vomit?

... Have you ever been kidnapped by moths? Follow-up: Where did they take you?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/8/2016

Season 5 : Episode 20

648 Comments
Comments (648)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Poor Derek, I really have nothing else to say, other than my stock Isaac and Scott were adorable comment.
Flag
LOL. The creepy bedroom scene had me on the floor laughing! That closet scene was also hilarious. What a great strategy to calm it down! Allison was adorable in that dress. Shut it, Price.
Flag
I wanted to take the time to come here and comment that to this day I remember 'not even a hard sneeze or a rolled up newspaper' and burst into laughter whenever I see mountain ash ("whenever I see mountain ash?????????? " ok)
Flag
I seriously can't wait for this episode!
Flag
The final scenes with Scott and Dr. Deaton should have gone:
"I believe you are the chosen one. You must be.... because I love you."

Overall in this season Stiles is the best and so is Scisaac.

I can't believe the Ms. Sunshine Teacher could just be some cutesy damsel with flower dress, there has to be something more to it. Please, let there be something more to it. If she's not the darach or working with it, at least she could be with the alpha pack or something.

I wasn't terribly attached to Boyd, so if it had to be someone, I'm quite satisfied with the choice.

I hope someone tortures the clickclack-woman by tying her down and clipping those nails. But the murderous teddybear twins are starting to grow on me. Though I still can't understand why someone would consider them handsome, ewh. Almost as big of a turnoff as those gaping wounds of Derek.

Didn't see the teasers for next episode but I'm all for young Peter, he was definitely one of the most interesting characters and plotlines in the whole show.
More+
Flag
Quick question I was re-watching this episode and the weirdest thought popped in my head... what if Gerard was the Darach? I mean he has been looking for ways to become immortal because of his cancer maybe he things now that the werewolf thing didn't work (way to go Scott) he was plotting something else? Plus he obviously knows something more then everyone else
Flag
Gerard was the first one who sprang to my mind. As I said in another commentary, Gerard seems like the kind of person who knows mythical stuff. He's been a Hunter all his life and even got this Book of Secrets where he could read up on the Kanima (and he surely understand Latin).
But the again, it would be far too easy making Gerard the "Bad Druid". What about the teacher or the vet's sister? The latter is even teaming up with the Alpha Pack.
It even could be Chris Argent. He had a nice map of the currents and knew where the sacrifices took place.
So many possibilities! ^^
Flag
Very true, I'm just puzzled wondering if it's someone we've already met or hasn't been shown to us yet. I'm excited to find out. I definitely think Gerard and Deaton's sister are involved, I'm not sure about Chris yet, I'm hoping not I'm liking him a bit more then before and I'd be sad to see him full blown baddy, plus I don't think Alison could take it.
Flag
In some ways, enjoyed this recap more than the episode, but it did have major feels: Scott and Issac protecting Mrs. McCall, a teenage son seeing what his mother does for a living (every day shit he probably has no clue about) and is major impressed and appreciative, Stiles realizing he needs to clue the Sheriff in because it's not really in him to be that selfish in the greater scheme of things, Issac and Boyd coming to Derek, because they are all pack and that's what a pack does, stand together. And many more.

I wish the show figured out how to fix some of their bonehead moments. Just as they've established no basis for Derek to really fall for teacher, they created another false "this or pack" decision dynamic at Derek's loft. Unless the teacher is in it with the Alpha Pack, if they are smart enough to know something private and horizontal happened between Teacher and Derek, how are they so stupid as to not know their own pack mate - with a perfectly fine skull/face when brought into the vet's clinic - now has a crushed skull?

As Price (and others noted) Cora finally makes it to school, but just to deliver a message. Blake is used a hostage and the TWUNKs don't think they will get expelled or investigated? Strange older blind man makes his second appearance in BHHS, this time while school is in session. Wonders down to the basement to music room and no one says, "Excuse me, you perv, you have business here?"

Don't be mistaken. Enjoyed the EFF out of the show. Stiles telling Danny to own his dream? Scott telling Allison that turning her back to him was worse? Priceless.

The episode was well paced, well edited, cut (except for the fight in Derek's loft which was honestly tiresome). However some of the plot contortions just ruin the pleasure. You can ignore them when they are inconsequential or inconsiderable. But once the episode is over, they nag, and nag and it just ruins the fun.
More+
Flag
I don't know about Ennis's skull (maybe the alphas didn't see the body?), but about them knowing Jennifer is important to Derek: they prolly were watching his place. She stayed there a long time after all heh and they wanted to know if Derek was alive or not. I hope this helps with the nagging.

Oh and I don't know about your school, but mine was easily accessible, especially during class hours there'd be no one in the hallways.
Flag
Working out my emotions through television shows and books, well that's the only way I work through my emotions. There, there, Price. Grown People Probs.

Did this episode make you feel emotional at any point be honest.

Yes. So many feels deep down. I mean, they killed off my boy, Boyd, and even though I pretty much seen that coming since the premiere, it still hurt because I loved Boyd. Why can't Sinqua Walls ever survive anything on my tv screen? Ugh. That entire scene with him and Derek and the lunar eclipse? Golden. Erica flashback? Got me. The uber cuteness of Isaac and Scott rather unsuccessfully watching over their mom (yes, I know I said their mom. I get sentimental like that. No take backs)? That was so much cuteness I couldn't think straight.

... Who will mop up Derek's apartment now?
Peter. While making snarky commentary. That's how he rolls. Plus, I'm thinking Derek may be too busy burying a body. Boyd. BOYD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

... How much mistletoe is safe to eat/vomit?
Mistletoe ain't for eating.

Have you ever been kidnapped by moths? Follow-up: Where did they take you?
Moths? No. Butterflies? Definitely. They carried me off to some twisted enchanted forest, and I had to tell them that I don't do the woods, so we hit up a Starbucks.

-I'd totally ship Papa Stilinski and Mama McCall. I have this all worked out. In my head, these two will be totally running the supernatural cray-cray from a professional standpoint She works the hospital angles, and he works the police angles. They'd have one big house together, where Isaac, Scott, and Stiles have a threeway bromance of epic proportion. Things would be so much fun. I'd live in that house. Um, for reasons.
- I typically don't like it when the olivious human is brought in the loop. While yes, I understand the whole you can't protect someone with them being in the dark bit, I also like it when on top of dealing with crazy supernatural shizz, characters are trying to keep everything under wraps. I mean, for example, a fifteen year old slaying evil supernatural beings and saving a small town is made even more fun when his parents are griping about him not making it home for curfew. I don't mind that Stilinski hasn't been read in...but in this case, I'd actually admit that if he was, I'd probably enjoy it more.
-When I think of all the story that could have been told for Boyd, my heart hurts a little bit. His death was by no means a surprise. We've pretty much been expecting it forever now. I just feel like there could have been so much story for him. It's true though, that he and Erica regardless of people liked them or not served a great purpose for Derek. I loved how insistent he was on being there for Derek, and the electrical current plan was one of the better plans I've seen thought up in teen supernatural shows. Poor Derek, he's lost two of his wolfcubs. :(
-Hilarious moments that had me in a fit of chuckles for various reasons:
1. Trying to get Lydia to use her "powers". She was just so blase about the fact that she possesses these abilities. She was annoyed and not hiding how inconvenient it was for her and...Lydia is just too funny sometmes. There is an extra element of awesome that comes with her not consciously being able to summon her gifts.
2. Scott and Allison in the closet. Turning around only makes it worse Allison! Haha! I totally had a feeling Scott was an ass man. Called it! Woohoo! I actually enjoy them more now than when they actually were together. I give her props for even commenting at all. One of the things I love about this show is how they still manage to work in all these awkward teen moments. I don't forget that these are a bunch of teenagers even when they're facing some very adult things. I love that about this show. It's in those quirky, awkward, cheeky moments that they really balance out everything. I love them.
3. The Vet can't NOT be badass. I've never seen a guy take imminent kidnapping so well. He was so cool and calm I couldn't help cracking up. I love that guy. He probably walked right into the swarm of moths like a Boss. He probably didn't appear scared or anything, just mildly irritated at the inconvenience of being kidnapped.
4. Isaac's sheepish expression when he realized he did in fact have the last shift. Can we get more of these family moments? I want more of those. Those are so fun. They are so adorable it almost hurts when I smile at them.

-So confirmation that Scott is a very special werewolf who can become an Alpha because of his good and pure heart and moral integrity. Eh. Okay. I like Scott. I know he's a good kid. I get that he's not just "special" but he's special. Okay. Fair enough. Kudos, kid. Kudos.
-Demon Wolf. *sigh* Still not feeling it.
-Cora. I'm trying to like her, because Girl Power, and badass werewolf chick, and Derek's sister who has inexplicably risen from the dead and no one has so much as batted an eye or mumbled a word about that yet (I know this show could very well tackle that down the line, so no biggie), but I...I don't care for her. I'm trying to, but she's sort of meh. When she's not meh she's annoying. Tagging along with Stiles and Lydia made her a tad more entertaining because she has that grumpy werewolf thing in the bag. Grumpiness and sarcasm must be hereditary traits in the Hale family. I'll put it this way, if it came down to Erica and Cora, I'd take Erica back in a heart beat. I wasn't flying Erica banners or anything, but I did accept and tolerate her, and towards the end she was more likeable.
-Strong episode this week.

More+
Flag
The only thing that makes me sympathize with Cora is that while she sucks, she really didn't stand a chance with the bar as low as it is.

TW: "K, so you'll be back from the dead with no one caring, *and* with the stock rebellious teen angst, but without any of the skills or talent that redeems you. You can't be more competent than Derek, after all, little lady."

Cora: "?? Wait, but Derek sucks! He sucks at everything!"

TW: "Uh, manners? He's right here."

Derek: "Nah, she's right, TW; I'm the worst. I'm really bad at everything."

Hella Laid Teacher: "Well, not *every*thing..."
Flag
THIS: 'not just "special" but he's special.
Flag
First off.. People who don't like Scott being the "true alpha" are crazy! He if anyone deserves it more than anyone!! Cause no matter what problem that comes across Scott, he always does the right! Thing.
Just think about it.. From episode 1 season 1, Scott didn't want the bite, he was willing to do anything to get rid of it.. That's why he helped Derrick in season 1 to catch Peter. Cause Derrick said the only cure is to "kill the one who bit you" but we know how that ended..

Then going into season 2 Scott learned to control his abilities a little better, and lets not remember he pretty much taught him self to control his shifts, with a lil help from Derrick on the full moons.

But the point.. Scott always does the right thing, he always chooses to save rather than kill, reason rather than just assume, he learned to control his shifts though the power of love, he tries to save everyone even if they have no part with Scott, he has strong will power and that's why his is a "true alpha"
Flag
Scott actually has a little grey to him thankgod, or he'd be really boring. Like your s1 example: Scott was prepared to kill someone for his own gain (sure it was a villain, but still). And there are other examples. Just saying he'll probably be able to make some tough decisions as well. I hope they'll show them.
Flag
I think there'll be some tough decisions ahead judging from the trailer hinting at the midseason finale.
Scott is still in the process of learning about himself, so there is no doubt much room for mistakes. That's human and that's what will make him a fine leader one day. Personal growth and of course a big heart.
It has been a really long time that I liked a leading character of a show that much and a teenager at that. ^^
Flag
In his new alpha leader role thing I mean
Flag
Please, do not call Derek Derrick ever again! *lol*
Derrick was a German TV Show from the 1970/80ies and Derrick its main character, a police inspector. Google it and take a look at the pictures. You'll understand immediately how wrong this combination is. ^^
Aside from that, I'm totally with you. Scott is a perfect True Alpha. I love this concept. Hopefully, Scott will be able to kick Deucalion's ass from here to the moon.
Flag
My bad.. I meant derek* just was drunk when i wrote the comment and didn't care how to spell haha but me too I can't wait for Scott to get into it with deucalion and have to kill for the first time
Flag
This episode was so entertaining and tragic. I laughed when Scott stared at his mother with a tinkle in his eye like "Wow, you heal" Like Scott, your mom's a nurse... It's um... Yeah. So, is Derek going into a deep depression now that he literally but unintentionally killed Boyd? He was like his son. Poor Derek, yet again.
1. Yes it did. I'm just glad Boyd died... happy? Or, self-fulfilled (with purpose)? Something along the lines of that. Plus, Erica. Man, I saw "special guest star" and hoped she'd be brought back or something.

Also, Price I loved how insightful your points were about Derek bringing in Isaac, Boyd, Erica.

2. Derek should just move out. Or at least install some type of security system that's like sound-trippy, so when Kalia or whomever is trying to sneak in her toenails will expose her.
3. I just don't even know.
4. Yes, late one night the porch light was on as I was trying to get in my house and I was fumbling with my keys and they just attacked me.
Flag
Same for me about the newbie-stuff. :-)

Yeah, the fact that Deacalion is after Scott became immediately pretty clear. It was smart of him to try to get to him by pushing Derek, since Derek's trying to be good, but always makes some stupid mistakes, due to a little incompetence. He's cute, though, so that compensates.

Scott's amazing as a character. He listens to his friends, won't force his opinion on anyone, but will still try to convince people to think twice and not to be too violent. He's righteous. Derek on the other hand is a little too stubborn and vengeful.

I didn't thought about that! It's really smart of you to think of that! And indeed, she always happens to botch their plans? Who is still in school in the middle of the night? Who has sex with an injured man and accepts (as I assume) the fact that afterwards, he's magically healed? Who convinces a random man to pretend to be dead? Who has a smile on her face when she sees her werewolf-boyfriend (totally normal) kill a member of his pack? (She really was smiling. Or she's just a bad actress. I don't know, guess we'll see about that once her part in this story becomes more clear).)
Then, as I read more, I thought about the smell. Shouldn't they have smelled it if she was a werewolf? But you've thought about that, too, and you remembered that they can conceil their smell. Nice!
But maybe she isn't a werewolf. Maybe she is the druid. Maybe not. Maybe she's just another villain, neither druid or werewolf.
And yeah, how come they knew that Derek would care about her being dead or alive? Some serious questions here.

The sheriff left me with some questions, too. First: didn't he think it to be strange that Scott (I don't know how much he saw of that) couldn't reach Deaton or just fell on the ground or wasn't trying to un-knot him? And shouldn't he have tried to loosen the rope, himself, too? I mean, that shot was a killer and I doubt that he's had enough practice to be sure to hit the target.

Mama McCall and Sheriff Stiles make a good team, but not a couple. Not yet. I think that, first, they should let those two explore a possible friendship before having a forced relationship.

And what the hell did Ethan mean by 'Because we knew one of them was gonna be important to you, and now we know it's Lydia'?! Are they going to use her to get to Scott? Or they going to take her as a hostage, too? I need answers!!!!
By the way: I know they've already kissed once - Scott and Lydia - but are they really going to make a romance happen between these two? Really? That's so out of character... It's a bad, bad idea!

Then: Boyd's dead. What the hell was going on with these lunar eclipses? I sincerely hope that they're going to make that matter - maybe have one of these eclipses or something like that in this season - because otherwise, it's wasted time that made zero sense.

The scene where Melissa woke up only to find the two boys sleeping in the same - her- room, was fun, and typically Jeff Davis. I liked it. I think Isaac has found a new home and that this will Scott and Isaac's friendship to a new level that might be important in the further episodes. It's my gutt, giving me this feeling I can't ignore. And mostly, that's a sign I'm right. Just sayin'.

Allison was really annoying last season and I like her so much better now. How will things evolve when she and her father get trusting issues? Will they give up on each other, betray each other, team up either way? I'm curious!

Scott's eyes turning red was predictable. Almost every episode, it's happened once. I'm wondering when they have him change for good into an Alpha. Won't be too long, right? Deaton will start sharing his knowledge and help them. It's time to. He's waited long enough.

I don't trust his sister, though. Ever since episode one, I have this feeling that she's the druid, but the odds that they found that too easy, are even, I guess. Anyway, she's bad news and I want to know exactly how big her share is in the bad things that are happening.

Derek will come to see that - once there are more people who know about Scott's 'alpha-ness' - Scott's the true leader, maybe competition as well. He'll be reluctant, but in the end, he'll show his defeat and follow Scott. He has to. Because, no matter how hard he tries, he'll always keep making the same mistakes and lose the lifes of those who are important to him over it.

And Cora? Well, I'm wanting an explanation, too, about how she's still alive. And I need proof that she really means it well, and isn't some...intruder/spy/...

More+
Flag
On their phones, it says they sent the texts in 2/27/2013, but we're supposed to be in mid-Fall. Sloppy Teen Wolf!
Flag
They have a sloppy prop department; they would also have been responsible for that pluralized noun that has Price all hot and bothered. They've also done other mistakes, even as far back as S1 commentary it was talked about.
Flag
I'm a newbie commenter, just had to join as this is my fave place to come for recaps and the comments are such good fun to read!! So here goes...

Can you imagine how much power Deucalion will have if he takes the power of a pure Alpha?? He obviously wanted Scott from the beginning.

I happen to love Scott as a character; his morality and his friends are what keep him strong and, although he's not the smartest or the strongest, he has his friends and family which make him powerful and keep him human. That's where Derek is going wrong. (reminds me of Buffy actually).

Speaking of Derek, his teacher friend is totally an Alpha. She just turned up when the other Alphas did, she's just hanging about the school at 5am, she's trying to get Derek to pretend he's dead (what was the purpose of that?! (to weaken scott so that big boss man can take his power perhaps...), she would have no reason to think that faking death was a good thing (she supposedly had no idea what was going on by this point) she hasn't once appeared shocked about the fact that derek is a WEREWOLF!! Alphas can conceal themselves from other wolves and alphas... she's one of them. There's also the fact that Ethan said they 'thought Derek was still alive' which meant that they had no idea about the relationship between Derek and Jennifer. But the twins suddenly turn up with her as a hostage? Pull the other one, she's a concealed alpha plant. If I'm wrong I owe you all a fiver!!

Stiles and Lydia look: I thought Stiles had decided to tell his dad and that's why he turned up and helped the vet!! but as it turns out the Sheriff actually did some Sheriff work so no idea what the Lydia-Stiles look was about. Speaking of the Sheriff...what if he'd shot Deacon in the face?!

I'm loving Mama McCall and Sheriff Stiles. Anyone think a romance might be on the horizon? Older Stiles is such a lonely guy and mama McCall was all crying when she messed up her call to Peter (which was very much a good thing but I found it quite heartbreaking).

Ethan might be a new ally, he seems to really care about Danny.

Oh and they tried to give Boyd a back story last ep. then killed him off! I was looking forward to seeing what that was about!! Feels for Derek and Stiles' hand on the shoulder.

Speaking of feels: Issac and Scott's crappy protection of Melissa. To be honest, werewolf hearing should have woken them in an emergency anyway but my heroes indeed lol!! Nice to see Issac in the family home, such a sad back story for him. There's so much child abuse portrayed in this show it's unreal; what with Issac's physical abuse and Alison's mental abuse (re. kidnapped by her father and forced to make her own way out). It's nice to see how they came through it tougher and stronger than before.

Poor Issac was a loner, now he has a pseudo family; plus apparently Scott's his alpha so he's got a male figure he can finally trust. Alison has broken free of her family and carved out her own morals and values. Plus she's a bit more badass! I was getting annoyed with her last season because it seemed that someone in her family just had to say 'werewolves are wrong' and she would jump to it and try to kill them. now she's really endearing, I want to see more of her branching out on her own, (without Scott too, although their chemistry is electric: 'that's worse' lol!). Her saving the day with her arrows was pretty epic!!

And last but not least, Deaton. I just love him. He's so intriguing, yet I'm not sure I care about his back story. I just love him as he his. When Scott pushed into the Mountain Ash I knew his eyes would turn red but I'm glad they didn't let him push through the only human barrier towards supernaturals. It would have been a bit of a cop out. Actually, I found the addition of Stiles' dad incredibly brave as it showed that, although you may be superhuman, sometimes a human is just what you need.

Derek sucks as an alpha because he has no idea how to use the power he has. He will always loose against that lady alpha. He will trust that teacher bird over Scott and it will be his downfall. And what is Peter's plan? he has his own agenda. Who is the druid? Peter probably lol there's noone else we know that it could be (Deaton's sister might be but I think that is prob too obvious). Could it be Cora? Probably not, she was so broken up about Boyd's death as she spent so much time with him. And by the way... how the hell is Cora even alive? Even Derek thought his whole family were dead and he hasn't even questioned it??

Sorry about the long comment, this is about a years worth of comments in one go!!
More+
Flag
Okay, so first time commenting on a review, but I thought this episode was the right one to jump in. Just a warning though: I am prone to long comments on the Glee reviews so my comments on here will probably be lengthy as well. Looking over some left on here, I don't think I'll be out of place :P

Sooooooo, typical day at the hospital: ten car pile-up, no doctor to treat them, and a boy throwing up mistletoe. Yup, sounds about right. Seriously though, was I the only one who wondered how the heck the twin knew that it was mistletoe? I know I'm no Alpha or anything like that, but the first time I saw it I thought he might've had some swiss chard, some corn and even some chopped up garlic. But nope, it's obviously mistletoe. Also, how the heck do you not know you're eating mistletoe??? Again, I haven't been in that position, but I'm pretty sure it would be a big difference to what I usually eat. Now the doctor lady. Was I again the only one wondering why, when the moths started to invade her car, she didn't stop the friggin car? I mean one, two moths is one thing but once we get to a handful I'm stopping the car and getting out especially if they're getting in my mouth. But nah, lets just keep going and hoping they just magically go away after they magically got in here. Woops, last thing about the hospital: Danny is totally going to be a werewolf by the end of this half of episodes. The last couple weeks regarding Danny could be a red herring, but I doubt it.

DEMON WOLF definitely has a good clue as to what is going down. How much? I'm unsure, but it has to at least be to the extent that Argent knows. I do like how he can sense certain things but still needs to be told about the body....okay. How do the Alphas make the mark and Derek/Cora/Peter(if he's still there) not notice? Things I think about. Scott+Isaac+Mrs. McCall=fantastic tv. Isaac also admitting he might've been the last to be on watch was hysterical to me. He and Scott go with each other very well on screen; not as good as Scott and Stiles, but much better than Scott and Jackson ever did (admittedly, not very hard to accomplish).

Guess Druids are out of the Vets' realm of expertise. He'll fuck some werewolves up and then heal 'em, but outside of that he's pretty screwed. Good to know, Teen Wolf, good to know. And I must say, pretty good plan by Boyd. One of those times where I thought, "Hey, that's the guy that we saw in the first couple episodes after he was introduced. I missed him." Also, Isaac was obviously the one who came up with the excuses as he was way too happy to tell Derek that Boyd had explosive diarrhea while Boyd looked a little ticked that it was brought up. Cracked me up.

Stiles' Dad finally learning about all this? Yes please. It would allow him in more scenes and I would appreciate that. He's also pretty quick on the uptake so I'm pretty sure he would be able to help with a lot of different problems once he's brought into the fold. Now, Lydia. I must say, I know I'm a teenage boy and all but this Lydia doing all the sex stuff is a big upgrade over the last couple seasons imo. Seems more confident and witty and less dependent on Jackson which is so great to see. Her getting it on with a twin is less than ideal, but I'll take it :P Loved all the different ways Stiles came up with to try to get Lydia into the mood to find the Vet. His reaction after the cold keys was priceless. Lydia also draws a great tree; if I'm not mistaken, it's the second time we've seen her draw it and is also the one on the end of the credits. Have to think it's going to pop up for some reason this season.

I want to start this off with me being a nerd, but I was very happy when Deucalion was in the band room. When he asked if Scott knew what a metronome was I actually answered the question for him. And when I saw the tubas in the background I was even happier. Shut up. Now, I must say that I know Deucalion wasn't going even close to playtime but Scott showed some pretty sweet moves. If/When that fight happens, it's going to be pretty awesome. Also, Mrs. McCall seems to know her stuff: took her a victim or two, but she knew what was going on. Parents-1, Kids-0.

Again, teenage boy here, but Allison was looking pretty cute when Scott got to her. She also looked super adorable when she was with Scott in the closet. Seemed to take the boner as a compliment which is respectable to me; we were also pretty much told that Allison has a great butt which is great info to have. Now, to the map thing: Argent knows a lot of stuff and it's always surprising to me. Guess he doesn't give a crap about the Vet though since Argent knows that he got taken and isn't looking for him. Not cool, dude. Luckily, that went to the back of my mind as Stiles once again stole a scene. Him and Danny are always funny together, but I think him and a semi-conscious Danny are even better. Stiles' reactions? Omg, too funny. Thank goodness he succeeded as the Teen Wolf 5 solved the mystery pretty fast once they had the supplies.

So, how many entrances are there to Derek's place? Because I have to think one of them would be able to scout the front door if they wanted to. Would've made more sense than to depend on a security system that doesn't really do anything at all. I mean it alerts Derek, but why does he need to be alerted? I mean he can't call anyone and they have to open up that big door anyways. The only thing it'll do is maybe allow him to get some clothes if he's naked, but considering that Kali is almost always the one that comes after him, maybe that's something that he can use to his advantage. Just saying. Also, shouldn't Cora be able to get to Derek's faster than Stiles' car? Maybe I'm wrong and she can't but I have to think she knows short cuts that would've gotten her there faster. Lastly, Derek really has to learn to fight. I get it: she's strong, but Derek shouldn't ALWAYS get his butt whooped. At the very least give us an even fight where Derek gets some good shots in because these one-sided fights are really ticking me off.

Scott tries to use his willpower to get through the dust and it seems like he almost got there. Good for you, thank goodness that Stiles' Dad showed up though and has a fantastic shot instead of just, you know, walking the 15 feet to the guy. Guess he hasn't used his gun in a while....*wink wink*

Now the scenes I found both stupid and heart-wrenching. So the girls get the power to go on and everything seems to be set: Derek is going to take one for the team and keep Kali in the water so that she is guaranteed to be in the zone. Isaac then goes for the teacher to protect her. Again, that's fine. But why does Boyd just randomly jump in the water when he sees Isaac run? There was literally no reason to do so: he wasn't going to get to Derek in time to push him out of the way, or get to a safer place than the thing he was standing on and he was obviously going to be affected by the water. Just made no sense. Another thing: why the heck did Isaac just sit by while they literally hung Boyd out to dry? Derek needed, what, 15 more seconds to get back to his human form and make sure that he didn't kill Boyd. Instead, Isaac just looked on and did nothing. If he just becomes a minor distraction, Boyd is alive. Now, after that everyone might be in trouble, but Cora was about to get there so I think the Alphas would've left. Guess we'll never know though. Those moments right after it was apparent Boyd was going to die were killing me though. Derek looked like a parent that knew his child wasn't going to make it but still didn't want to give up hope and....man, I really hope that doesn't happen again for a while. Boyd's speech was really touching too which made the moment both worse and better at the same time. Glad his flashback let Erica get the proper send-off though and also tie in to his own as they were obviously close. What ticks me off about this though is that I honestly don't think they die this season if Gage Golighty actually signed up for the 3rd season. I mean, I guess Boyd still has a chance of dying as the Alphas probably had to send a message somehow but I think it would've been more 50/50 than the 100% that all of us knew it was. Just sucks when that kind of stuff happens. Great job to the writers for having multiple avenues to go down, but I just would've preferred one that had both Erica on Season 3. Oh well, either way, it was a great job to give Boyd and Erica a proper send-off. And then we see Stiles comforting Derek....so many feels. Anywho, Gerard needs to start talking and not that 30-seconds-at-the-end-of-the-show crap that he's doing right now. Give him a good five minute chunk in the middle of the show. He knows stuff and needs to tell!

Okay, so as you people reading probably already know, I'm a weird kid and one that is pretty nerdy. Well, time to combine the two once again. The Vet tells Scott about the "True Alpha" and how he is one. I didn't expect a party or anything, but not even a "hm, pretty cool" from Scott? Guess he was too shocked by the Alphas being after him or something. This scene does give us a great look at how much the Vet loves (maybe not the right word, but the only one that I thought fit) Scott and thinks he can do anything. Scott has gotten better this year, but it took a lot from the Vet and others to tell Scott that he was capable of so much more than he thinks he can accomplish. This is just another thing that shows Scott that although he might've not wanted to be a wolf he is very special and is going to be very important to the people around him. Now, nerdy stuff. When Deucalion talked about killing their own pack to gain power, I totally thought of Highlander. They go pretty good together I think; Scott's up and down relationships, his wacky friend who gets in and out of trouble (also comic relief), and, heck, McCall/MacLeod are both Scottish surnames. It's there somewhere. I thought that was pretty cool, but then they bring up a legendary trait that only "chosen" ones can attain; one that isn't about just power, but the character of that person and how they care for others. This immediately made me think of Dragonball Z and a Super Saiyan. Scott obviously being Goku in this analogy. Just thought it was really cool that this show made me think of both Highlander and Dragonball Z: two completely different programs but ones that can be tied into Teen Wolf if looked at closely.

Anywho, enough geeking out. Fantastic episode and something that has almost become the norm for this series. Can't wait to see what happens on Monday; should be awesome!
More+
Flag
Yeah, really, really sorry about the long comment. I'm bad at that kind of stuff. Sorry "/
Flag
Tyler H (Derek) said at Comic Con today Derek is the worst alpha ever lol

http://anthonyedwardstarks.tumblr.com/post/55824292976/im-the-worst-alpha-of-all-time
Flag
So humble. Lol.
Flag
Well, on Tyler's behalf, he's doing a good job with the lines and scenes he's given.
Flag
No one's questioning the actor, me least of all.
Flag
I haven't liked this season so far. I think this was the first episode that I thought was pretty good.

Can someone explain the Lydia situation to me? I mean, she knows everything about the werewolves, right? And all of her three friends know that the twins are part of a group that's been trying to kill people they know. Has none of them told her that she's doing it with a psycho murderer?

I hope that the expression on her face at the end of the episode meant that she figured it out, and will stop behaving like an idiot. If not, the show should stop claiming that she's smart.
Flag
She's not actually smart, she's 'This Show' smart. She knows book stuff, like the recipe to KFC (it starts with Tarragon), but she has no common sense. No one with common sense walks up and rolls over a dead body in a swimming pool at night without backup.

Honestly, if she found a van a-rockin', she wouldn't have the common sense to not go a'knockin'.
Flag
Lydia already acknowledged (scene with Cora) that she knows WHAT Aidan is. You must have been fast forwarding or texting when that was on screen....
Flag
What he does is more relevant than what he is. They should have told her what sort of things he's been doing, and this should have forced her to choose a side in the conflict or try to talk him out of it.
Flag
She didn't seem bothered by it, but maybe now Boyd's dead... Or maybe she keeps hooking up with him in the hope that he'll reveal sensitive info she can pass on to Scott/Allison.
Flag
finally got caught up on this past Teen Wolf and I have to say it was one of the better episodes this season. So much happened and I loved how fast paced the episode was and how it moved the story forward.

Everyone else has already said what I thought about this episode and all I want to say is please use paragraphs when having long comments~makes them easier to read;-)
Flag
B- :p
Flag
TW cast interview with EW at ComicCon. Guys! Guys! At 4:00 they're talking about how the twins transform. Dylan starts doing explicit fisting motions, and someone (Posey?) says, "There's a butt and a fist involved." Cue LOLing. Hilar!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tEVq4Gg8rGM
Flag
So does anyone else feel like they're setting Ethan up to betray the alpha pack? They're developing him into a likeable character--at least by alpha pack standards--and the Motel California episode seemed to imply that he's not as okay with being the fisted end of Wolftron as we originally believed. I don't know, I think he might end up choosing Danny over DW? And I don't think we've seen Ethan and Aidan completely wolfed out on their own?
Flag
Not completely, but a bit individually when they were ready to do the cross country rumble with Issac and Scott.
Flag
Right, that's what I mean. We've seen eyes, claws, and teeth, but that's partial. We've only seen them fully wolfed out as Wolftron.
Flag
NOOOOO~!! Not Boyd!! *Pour Bag of Doritos in mourning* Y'know, this is exactly why we didn't let him off the Enterprise in on the action. (Heh...deleted's). Our household 'Boyd Appeared On-Screen and Got to Speak Without Dying' drinking game is just...silly now.

Derek: "My bad. I really should've closed my fists right there."

Boyd: "It's alright. This way...we don't have to do anything about what happened...with my sister.

Derek: "Well, that's true. God, nobody wanted that."

Boyd: "Right,
S-so Kali...killed Erica, too."

Derek: "!! That...that click-clacking termagant! I think I should start learning how to fight."

Boyd: "No rush. It's a...full...season." *Dies*

Still, now that the most inevitable and predictable has happened since the shaving off of minorities in the second season of name-a-show, anything that happens next will be a little less inevitable and predictable. #KeepingPositiveInsteadOfWaitingForTheWorldToBurn

Much less predictable, Magic Vet Guy not only was the next guy to see Scott's alpha eyes, but he actually told him about them. I did not expect them to deflate such a potentially cheesy self-revelation right there. Maybe instead of gaining alpha wolf powers by killing other wolves in your pack, the minorities get stronger and more relevant when one of them dies. That explains why the Vet actually explained something early, why Danny gained a couple sodas to his 6-pack this year, why Scott's Hot Mom atropine'd Danny in the heart, and why Cora's finally smart enough to go to school...or at least walk into the school. Watch this space; I'm onto something here.

So yeah, for a split second, it was nice to see Cora at school.

Cora: "Sup. Soo...school. I show up and do this now..."

Me: "Fair enough. I wondered if she was gonna--"

Cora: "...buuuut I still suck."

Me: "Yes. Yes, you still do."

Another reason Lydia should learn to fight or throw sudden Sookie Fairyballs, or something: to show Cora a full moon she can kiss.
It may've been the biggest 'B...aby werewolf, please' moment of the show so far.

I guess some of the endgame shippers were happy to see Alison and Scott talk about his boner in the closet and almost make out, but LET US NOT PRETEND *DEMON WOLF voice again* that Alison wouldn't have done the exact. same. thing. if it had been Isaac in there with her. Mm-hmm. The only difference here is that after this week, we still don't know if Isaac's an ass man. +1 Scott.

Back to Cora (yeah, I know). What I loved about the scene with her, Lydia and Stiles in the van, was that it brilliantly (yeah, I know) foreshadowed her ship'blocking between Lydia and Stiles. Oh yes, we all saw that forced and awkward brilliant hand placement she laid over Stiles's to show the one thing she's figured out on her own so far. Oh yes, shippers; it's the future, and it's gonna annoy so good. Yeah, Erica had to die. With her and Stiles, there may've been too many 'Go Stiles!' cheers from my house. Well, two, anyway.

Quick moment to defend the creepy chem teacher (as he's too unnecessarily dead to defend himself), it seems that a lot of school teachers
can't dual-specialize. My calc teacher spelled her own name incorrectly on the board once, but she taught polar equations like a boss. (Shoutout to Ms. Huston Houston.) Anyway, as long as Mr. Harris hadn't said something like "DiHydrogen Monoxide is a deadly and poisonous gas," then we'd all have to agree and say that guy couldn't die soon enough, rite?

Mad props to Stiles's dad for the doing of stuff this week. One clean, slightly-swinging, rope-shooting shot. I haven't seen a cop that useful since I watched a cop show. So now, it's 18 bagillion tragedies, 1 averted by cop. I think if he were actually allowed to know anything, he'd end up damn useful, but like I pretended that Boyd said: no rush; it's a full season.

I gotta say to Price, I'd noticed Isaac waking up under Scott's picture in Scott's Hot Mom's room, and I honestly expected you to put up a thought bubble leading up to it, hearts optional. I would've lost money if I'd had anyone with whom to bet to bet with. I know you work hard, but you missed a golden opportunity there, sir.

I guess that's it. I had something about Gerard and finding some Tums or kelp tape, but it just seemed excessive (yeah, I know).
More+
Flag
*sniffles* Boyd. You know how I feel about Boyd. That was my boy. I'll shove down a Dorito or two in his memory, even though I don't much care for them.

Oy chico, now you know they dropped a little background with the sister so they could throw us off.You know, "Ohh maybe Boyd won't die?!", "I wonder if Boyd's mysterious dead sister is really alive and Isaac's mysterious dead savior?" Because all the black characters have to be related somehow. No, really, it's true. We all know each other. There is a monthly meeting and everything. This is TW, Acro, this means sometime down the road, later on this season, or maybe even next season because that's how they roll, Boyd will appear via a Derek nightmare. Hey, or maybe one of those hallucinations after he's been beaten up a bit too much, ohhh or maybe a drug induced little sumthin,sumthin. Only then, will we maybe, possibly, perhaps get some details about just why they threw out there that bit about Boyd having a sister only to kill him off a week later. Derek likes to drown in his guilt and self-loathing. We'll totally get some of that stuff in Boyd flashback. Thank God for flashbacks. We always have those flashbacks, I tell ya.

I can definitely think of a moon or two Cora can kiss. So you don't fancy her either? Like I said before. I'd trade in Cora for Erica in a NY second. That was a much better love triangle option. Stiles, Lydia, and Erica. Hell, maybe even a quadrangle if you chose to throw Boyd in the mix. Personally they had sibling vibes to me but whatevs. Cora is just...ugh. She's as moody and sullen as the other Hales with none of the endearing charm that makes you overlook the fact that for all intents and purposes they're all jackasses. Why did you make me thing of this?! Cora and Stiles?! No.

A virtual $10 says Isaac is a boob man.

Sheriff Forbes needs to take a class or two. Stilinski does more NOT knowing than she does knowing.
More +
Flag
But wait, what if they bring back Boyd's sister? It could set a trend of Derek's pups being replaced by someone younger and less wanted. Then, she could explain that the silly drowning business was just a simple misunderstanding, and the entire viewing audience could finally rest easier knowing that wrinkle was finally ironed out. Yeah, this is why I don't gamble.

And flashbacks would feel cheap, but it would really get Boyd the same amount of screen time.

Hallucination Boyd: "This is pretty much the saaame~." "Did you know I also played the ukeleleeee~?"

And Cora and Stiles is a-happenin'. Hate the reflection, not the mirror. She brings the 'Ugh' that TW felt was sorely lacking.

And if little brown pectoral muscles count as boobs, then I'm sorry...I can't take that bet.

I had to google Sheriff Forbes, but yeah, I recall her doing a lot of the typical (e.g.: nothing) in Season 1, and then I expected a lot of her...being dead by now, so there's...that. In your face, Boyd!

Flag
One of the finest comments I've read! And I'm totally there with the "NOOOOO BOOYYYYD!!!" thing. Damn you Derek, why didn't you just de-wolf your hands???? That situation could have ended with some light tickling rather than a disembowelment! It should have been you, Cora. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN YOUUUU.

And, HOW exactly did Stiles' dad not see Scott being tossed aside by magical forces? He ran up like 2 seconds later and somehow knew enough to shoot the vet down rather than to rush over and try to cut him down THE SAFE WAY. The way that doesn't involve shooting bullets at the poor guy's head. I'm looking forward to Stiles have The Talk with him.
Flag
Well, see, if Stiles's dad had actually run up and tried to save the vet the logical way, he could've used a hand getting the vet down, which would've prompted him to both wonder what Scott was doing on the floor for no explainable reason, and to ask Scott for help...which would've been awkward.

If there's one thing TW knows how to avoid, it's awkward-but-logical situations.

Alison: "This might bring your boner down, Scott: I noticed you with red eyes the other day. I thought I should let you know in case it might actually help you in some way. At the very least, it should lessen the junk bumpin' into my junk right now."

Scott: "You don't say? Well, color me distracted, Alison; this is quite the revelation."

See how awkward that would've been? Mercifully, we were spared all that cringing.
Flag
Melissa had suggested time was off the essences, when she said minutes till vet died and they were still many miles away.

Mountain Ash wouldn't have kept the sheriff away, but shooting was just faster (especially if one thought they were a mean shot, which presumably he did).
Flag
Sure, but the vet could've been in any kind of condition, conditions ill-conducive to dropping to the floor like a sack of potatoes. If he wasn't already dead, he most likely would've survived the two seconds needed to run over there and help him up, especially with Scott kickin' it on the floor right beside him.
Flag
So sad man Boyd whom I thought was the closest to Derek since the second season because they were basically the same person.. Not cool but I can't wait to see Derek rip Kali's throat out with his teeth
Flag
Yeah, totally. The Werewolf of Color went down this episode.
Flag
TW Cast will have a livestream chat in MTV official page at 6:30pm today.
MTV's San Diego Comic-Con Live! They will have and exclusive trailer.

EW Photo Booth with TW
Flag
This is great. To bad Daniel looks down
Flag
an exclusive trailer. oppsss
Flag
TW San Diego Cómic Con 2013

Flag
No one is talking about the 30 minute after show thing that was going on.

Someone mentioned that Ethan..err..Aiden..whichever one is with Danny..might be turning good. The actor said something about that in the after show as well. That the events are changing everyone.

I bet by the end..the twins will be on Scott's side.

I'm curious as to how they both became werewolves..and Alphas.. that would be a lovely backstory.

I also wish Kali would put some shoes on. I can't stand it. Erica and Cora don't run around with no shoes on. It is not liberating. You look stupid lol
Flag
I LOVED this episode. I felt emotional ALL THE TIME. Scott was just too cute, too genuine, too anything and that makes him the perfect lead character that just doesn't bore me.
So many perfectly hilarious scenes: Scott and Allison in the closet, Stiles, Cora and Lydia trying to SEEK OUT THE SUPERNATURAL, Scott and Isaac WATCHING OVER mama McCall (Scott and Isaac are just too cute of a couple of brothers *.*)
Also, mama McCall was amazing, I really thought she was gonna be targeted.
About Boyd: I was surprised, because after Motel California I thought that we were gonna have to get used to him. Now I think it was just a decoy to make his death more unexpected. A pretty sad scene and I loved Derek's part in it.
About Erica: I really needed it for closure. From the beginning, I was so bugged from her death, because it was totally nonsense. Alphas, if you want Derek to kil his betas, WHY DID YOU KILL HER? I liked her character so much! I'm so glad that hole was filled, in the end Erica was just so badass. Just KILL KALI.
One last thing: please fill Danny in!!!!
More+
Flag
I think Ethan has been trying to fill Danny in.
Flag
Win!
Flag
4) Nope but i set up light screen and photograph moths. :D
Flag
Let me just say this: I Love that we are a bunch of smart commentators here!! I mean i love all your theories guys! we are all soo into the story, the writers must visit this site, read these discussions, they might get some cool and interesting ideas!
Flag
Writer's can NOT legally visit these sites, just like they can't read fan fic.

They could legally get sued for "stealing" ideas.

It's pretty obvious that TV show runners do get in some jokes how they used the Supernatural cons and book-tie ins and WINCEST as one off jokes in some episodes but that series has also had some 20 plus episodes going on nearly 10 years now. We only have about 30 episodes so far of TW and while they will make pop culture references (like Batman/Robin, Catwoman/Batman, Yoda, etc.), I don't think they're going to start self-referring anytime soon.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Four men should never be that pretty... it's just... damn... *goes to find cold water and a fan*
Flag
Staff
Not to harp on this but you should post these in the Teen Wolf community! So good :) http://www.tv.com/shows/teen-wolf-2011/community
Flag
I keep forgetting how tall Daniel Sharman is!
Flag
I wasn't happy when Erica died, the black girl that was kicking ass in the first episode and now Boyd. Are the minority characters just disposable; yeah I said it. I'm also kinda tired of the alphas just beating up the main characters and just who is the Druid? I'm getting bored fast; unless it turns out to be Lydia possessed by yet another person; seeing that Stiles pointed out how she poisoned everyone last year. I know they have double the episodes this year and so the story will drag out longer; but I'm still waiting for something good to happen to keep me anxiously anticipating the next week.
Flag
Oh sweetheart, where have you been? Minority characters are ALWAYS disposable! We learn to laugh it off.

I'm with you on the Alpha bit. I'm not so much bored as I am not really interested and impatient. I know it'll probably pick up and get somewhere at some point but right now, I'm just not all that interested in the Alpha business and everytime I see the Demon Wolf I sigh.
Flag
Yeah it seems like women and minorities are the only main characters being killed (Alison's aunt, Alison's mom, the black girl, Erica, Boyd). Yet main male characters who are so evil they deserve to die, are kept around. What's up with that?
Flag
I can't say much to defend the minorities being killed off, but while many women have been killed off, we still have two great multi-dimension women characters in Lydia and Allison(as well as Mama McCall), so I can't knock them to much when the writers write women characters better than the majority of television. I don't see your point with male villains being kept alive, you can't just kill the villain in the middle of the season, I see your point with keeping Gerard alive, but they can't kill Deucalion yet, and they did kill Matt, and Ennis. So as far as main villains go it 50-50 on the killing of women vs male villains(though Ennis was hardly major), and its 60-40 if you count Peter's death.

Also Jeff Davis has teased the the black woman from the premiere may not be dead.
Flag
Ennis wasn't a villain. You're possibly write about the woman helping Issac possibly not being dead. At one point when they were showing the bank vault scenes, I thought they showed her as well. Even if she is dead, I'd like to learn more about her story.

Ennis is a sidekick of the villain. Kali is putatively more of an villain in that she's the one of the side kicks who majorly acts as enforcer. But frankly, and in spite of her supposed martial arts skills she brought to the show, she's not a very good actress (yeah she hasn't been given a lot to do but many men and women have been given cartoon character villain roles and done wonders with them). And, the fighting is kinda tedious.

The OP is right in that Peter Hale (a villain) has so far been brought back. Likewise, Gramps hasn't died yet, and since it's four months plus later, he's been ouzing black goo and dying of cancer and is still kicking around?
Flag
Teen Wolf could definitely do better, but I think we should also give them some credit. The LEAD character is Latino, without being some tired stereotype. The fact that a biracial kid is representing the "every man" on a popular TV show is huge. His mother is smart, capable, and pretty much Mom of the Year. Danny is an openly gay teen on TV. He also isn't white. Most shows can only handle "1 degree of minority" per character. I agree with you, btw. I just wanted to point out that TW isn't all bad in regards to diversity.
Flag
The lead character is Latino, um... when did this happen; I guess I missed that. When did Danny stop being white? I will give the show credit for the gay teens on this show not being flamboyant and that they are just normal teens.
Flag
While Gage isn't, they wrote her character (Erica REYES) as a minority and she could easily have looked the part. The show does a good job of making the school look multi-culti, they just haven't done it with the main leads, nor the actors who aren't main leads but get significant screen time (e.g. Peter Hale, for example), and except for the fact that gay folks aren't portrayed as flamboyant, and women generally do get cast strongly, the show isn't doing a good job with any other kind of minority portrayal.

Fully understand that this is entertainment. Don't expect that it be "OK, we've had four bad guys in a row (Peter, Kate, Gramps, Demon Wolf) be pale, now we need something else" or vice versa. Real life has a lot of, shall we call it VARIETY? There's no reason our TV can't do that as well AND still be entertaining as EF.
Flag
Danny is played by Keahu Kahuanui, who happens to be Hawaiian.
Flag
Scott McCall isn't portrayed as a Latino.

Presumably the father was named McCall, and Melissa McCall is portrayed by an Italian actress. I agree with you about the casting, but they were screening white male actors for the role - they didn't send out casting sheets that said: Latino kids wanted for teen wolf character lead.
Flag
I just want to add to what AdderallAdict said and just say that it is more noticeable when a minority character is killed off on a show like Teen Wolf because there just aren't that many of them; I mean why didn't they kill off Jackson? He obviously isn't coming back now that he's a series regular on Arrow?
Flag
Vardant, you're not getting MY point. They didn't write Scott McCall as LATINO. Dylan O'Brien (who IS NOT a person of color) was original sent in to read for the Scott McCall part. And TP has played (and been sent out for) Latino roles; don't believe the producers are consciously racists, I suspect it's more plotting errors and bad habits than anything else, but they don't deserve brownie points for the accidental casting of a POC as Scott McCall. They've written good roles for women and definitely have portrayed strong women, as both good and bad characters, it's just that so far, they've underwritten the POC characters they have. Plenty of white people have also died on the show, a lot of the secondary deaths (like Harris and nearly all the victims of the Darach so far), but until Gramps and Demon Wolf kick the bucket (hopefully soon), this hasn't been the case with the male and pale baddies.
Flag
Scott McCall is a lot like Tyler Posey, the actor who plays him. He's someone who is Latino, but doesn't have a Spanish last name, and doesn't particularly match how Latinos are generally portrayed on American TV.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/25/teen-wolf-star-tyler-posey_n_1625161.html
Flag
Flag
Flag
this is a long comment but well worth the read
1. to be honest the parts that got me were when the vet was hanging on the rope and the second was when Boyd was killed, i knew he would be killed off this season but i didn't expect it to happen this season. when the power came back on i was wondering why Boyd jumped into the water was it to save Derek or was he going after the she wolf for killing Erica in the bank fault. also i noticed that the twin that's going with Danny was looking a bit sad when Boyd was getting killed off, maybe turning good??
2. i think after they get Boyd body out Derek just looked at Issac and said "phone me when your done"
3. i don't think you should eat mistletoe Danny is a prime example of it
4. I've never been kidnapped but if i was by moths i would of said " where were going we don't need any roads" great quote

my thoughts on this episode starting off with
Allison's role in this episode was just to point out that her father is looking for the druid as well plus she's the woman to get Scott aroused fast lol.
Boyd was the guy with the master plan plus he was getting killed off. what a way to go though getting lifted up by the she wolf then just plop your dead. but when he was talking on deaths door to Derek i too had to replay the scene several times.
Erica was a surprise but was great to see that she went out swinging and it was great that the writers gave her a good ending even though i liked Erica as a character it could of been stiles and Erica season 3.
Cora in this episode was alright more of a role than last week plus when she gripped stiles hand i thought he we go love interest other than Lydia plus when all the mojo was happening with stiles and Lydia she was still there even though she knew Derek was in trouble.
Lydia being a psychic this episode was amazing especially with the conversation with stiles i was laughing.
stiles this episode was still being detective which is great yet again the look he gave Lydia in the car i think was just them having a mind chat saying come on Derek could be dying. plus when he placed his hand on Derek's shoulder i bet all the sterek were going crazy.
Issac was hilarious with his line about being on watch but i confused when he arrived with Boyd to Derek's house i would of thought he would go with Scott instead since Derek threw him out,
Scott last episode to me was changing into an alpha because he killed the giant alpha but know since the vet told him he is a true alpha i was like HELL YEAH the season could draw it out until the very end and i would be OK with that but since its not even halfway through the season and we know he's going to be an alpha im glued to the screen every time its on.
the final notes are
1. love triangle between Lydia/stiles/Cora
2. Allison and Scott do another 7 seconds in heaven lol
3. Derek goes mad and goes after Issac because he was the first to change.
4 Scott becomes a alpha but a rapid alpha corrupt with power aka to transform into a wolf like uncle peter in first season.
5. more of Derek's family showing up would be great not from the dead though.
this is a long comment but well worth the read, if i've missed something please tell me
More+
Flag
As far as your points about Issac, and all the comments that have been floating around the internet, Issac still recognizes Derek as his Alpha (as did Boyd), thus they both came to protect their pack, lead by their Alpha: Derek.

You got confused about the giant Alpha's death (who's name was Ennis, BTW); Ennis had a death blow from falling, all Scott did was contribute to that, but then so did Derek - more so Derek, which is why the Alpha pack threatened him this episode. However, IF you were paying attention (which it appears you WEREN'), you'd know that Deaton told Scott that some werewolves become Alphas without taking/stealing it from another Alpha and you also would have seen where DW crushed Ennis' skull).
Flag
thank you for clearly this whole thing up for me.
Flag
Well good riddance of Boyed he was a really useless character
There are a few things that bother me this episodes
1) Why could not Scott or the gay twin guy suck the pain out of Danny is that ability only Scott ability or any werewolf ?
2) If the demon werewolf just knows whats going to happen why doesn't just catch the druid guy and stop him. ? I mean the druid guy is working against all werewolfs
3) Why didn't Scott just use a stick or something to push the dust away so he could pass ?
4) Does Stiles father knows now that Scott is a werewolf ? did he see him pushing against the force field ?
5) I think the first question I would ask the kidnapped doctor was did you see your kidnapper ? Is it really that much of shock to Scott that the Demon werewolf is after him and not Derek ? you have to be blind even more than that Demon werewolf :)
Flag
Oh and killing of good important characters (Boyed not included) does not make more interesting
we don't want another Red Wedding
Flag
1. Yes, when the boys were guarding Mrs. McCall; very adorable.

2. Dunno, but he's not getting his deposit back, that's for damn sure.

3. They slipped him mistletoe? How did that scene end up on the cutting room floor?

4. This made me think of the "Fringe" episode, "The Dreamscape". No kidnapping, just bloody death.
Flag
Okay, so finally made it for my own personal comment here. First off, the questions! 1. Did this episode make you feel emotional at any point be honest. Am I a human being? Of course there were several moments when I got emotional. Scott & Isaac watching over Scott's mom, all cutesy together! It just made me melt. And when Scott and Allison were in the closet??? Hahaa! That was just one of those wonderful moments when this show still knows how to put the "teen" into Teen Wolf. I was really disappointed when they didn't kiss! Kinda gotta say: I wasn't all torn up when Boyd died. In fact, I don't really care all that much. What I did like, was how it humanized Derek. Because let's face facts: he's always been the loner type, the alpha male (quite literally) and one who keeps other people at arm's length. And now he was just faced with this horrible guilt, which I'm sure will be in the next episode as well. I just really felt for him, and for once it wasn't his abs I was thinking about. Last but not least, I was obviously totally psyched when I heard the "true alpha"-story! Scott IS the moral compass, the good guy (with the occasional boner, hah!) and him being a true alpha just totally makes sense. 2. Who will mop up Derek's apartment now? It could be teacher girl. OOOORRRR... He could find an abandoned trailer somewhere in the woods? Dude likes a change of scenery, this might just make him look for it. 3. How much mistletoe is safe to eat/vomit? I've actually never seen mistletoe? I'm from Belgium and either we don't have mistletoe here, or we just don't have the tradition of "kissing when standing under mistletoe together", which would explain why I don't know what it looks like. Mistletoe is NOT special here (if we even have it here, that is) and therefore, I find it unwise for me to make predictions of any kind when I don't know what the F we're even talking about. Some kind of plant. Shrubbery. Bush. Politics? 4. Have you ever been kidnapped by moths? Follow-up: Where did they take you? I have not been kidnapped by moths (or any other kind of animal, including humans). I have however spotted one in my house earlier this week. But that was before this Teen Wolf-episode aired, so it didn't freak me out as much as it would now.
More+
Flag
hmmm, flahback episode? hopefully there is still going to be enough isaac!
Flag
And Stiles
Flag
They finally let Derek and Stiles have some screen time together? *boggled* Was kinda worried the whole hooblah about the shipping -thing and Sterek would scare the writers and we'd get lots of eye candy with absolutely everyone except these two, who are comedy gold together on screen. Apparently also man!pain gold on screen. At least now I won't have to worry about them avoiding each other forever anymore. Also: 1. Danny! 2. Please for the love of all good things, tell the sheriff already! Also, how about giving him a first name? Pretty please! 3. Awkward teenage sex jokes are awkward... also awesome. :) 4. Derek may not be the best of leaders, but he clearly does care about his pack. I'm all for him getting a hug, from about anyone!
Flag
I think the writers aren't bothered by Sterek thing. I think that's more of a problem with the network higher ups.
Flag
True. :) Credit where credit's due...
Flag
Flag
1. We got yet another fight with Alpha pack. Stop it, show - it's boring. Focus on evil druid thing, please.

2. Scott & Allison - their closet scene was just hilarious. When Allison turned back to Scott I literally face palmed. At this point I was expecting Scott to ask Allison to lift up her dress for him.

3. Lydia - I'm watching Teen Wolf just for you.

Best dialogue of the episode:

Stiles: Lydia, what are you doing? What the hell is that?
Lydia: A tree...

These two should have their own comedy show.

4. Mrs. McCall is the best. And no, I'm not shipping her and Stiles' dad cause I still remember how disappointed I was when Giles and Buffy's Mom didn't work out.

5. This show was so much better when Erica was alive :(
Flag
Due to formatting issues, I had to post my comment in a reply.
Flag
APOLOGIES FOR THE FREAKISH LENGTH OF THIS COMMENT!

This show has become redonk-adonk good, and I realize that's not even a word, but that's how good this show has become. In my past few comments/reviews I've been somewhat harsh on the shows in question, and some people have basically said "Damn, Fringey, why you be hatin'? Get up on outta here if yous gonna be hatin'!"

To be fair the "some people" had much better grammar than that and had a fair point, too. What was I doing writing so much about a show I clearly didn't have much respect for? Have I become an angry blogger, railing against TV mediocrity? Have I become a troll, or even worse, a hater? ...

I DON'T THINK SO!

I mean, I'm pretty sure, and its shows like Teen Wolf that makes me even sure-er. Because when it comes to the T-dubs (that's right, I just wrote that), I turn into a freaking fan girl!

I love it. I love everything about it. I've never been much of a poetry guy (personal spoiler: yes I have), but I could write sonnets about Teen Wolf, like Shakespearean sonnets, with Octaves, Sestets and everything.

And you know what? IT FEELS GREAT! It's so much more fun writing about something you love. There's a big ol' goofy grin on my face and it's there because of Teen Wolf's awesomeness. I don't even know if my opinion about this show can be objective anymore, that's how hard I've fallen. It's easily in my top 10, below Game of Thrones and above New Girl.

Something like:

2. Game of Thrones
6. Teen Wolf
9. New Girl

(You better watch out, unknown #5 show, Teen Wolf is coming for ya!)

I don't know about all y'all, but I thought the "Bus Ride of Epic-ness" (totally the official title, btw) was one of, if not the best episodes of the entire show! For the first few minutes I was like "Did I miss something?! I must have missed something 'cause this shit be cray-cray!" (I get nonsensical when I'm confused.)

I soon realized they had jumped forward in time and through a series of seriously well structured flashbacks showed us the battle with the Alpha pack (that fall looked nasty!) and some Sallison (Ascott?) action. The non-linear storytelling was unexpected, expertly executed and a thrilling bit of exposition. Plus anytime Coach Finstock is being Coach Finstock, that's just icing on a cake made of dreams, which is more filling than you would think.

Coach Finstock: "Jared, I’m warning you, I'm an empathetic vomiter, you throw up, I'm gonna throw up right back on you, and it will be profoundly disgusting... Now the rest of you, don't think we're gonna miss this meet because of a slight traffic jam, a minor tornado warning. Jared! We're gonna make this thing! NOTHING IS GONNA STOP US!"

God bless that man!

And the next episode was just an extension of the awesomeness established in the epic bus ride. From brilliantly conceived Tarantino-esque story structure, to an homage of genuinely scary horror movies, Teen Wolf is constantly proving you can't put it into a box. Well, you can try, but it will just tear the shit out of that box.

That whole episode in the creepy ass motel was impressively scary. The cold open with the suicidal Argent (they are SERIOUS about that killing yourself if you turn into a werewolf rule), and just the beautiful imagery of the full moon set the tone for a weird and wild night. But the highlight had to be Stiles talking Scott down from BURNING HIMSELF ALIVE! That was without a doubt one of the most emotional moments on this show, ever. I'm not ashamed to admit I teared up a little. Watching Scott bare his soul, watching him reveal his fears about hurting his loved ones, and how he wished he could”no one" again, it broke my damn heart. He was so honest in that moment. So fragile and pure. He took on the responsibility of keeping his friends safe, of keeping everyone alive, and he wanted the constant danger to be over.

And when Stiles said "Scott, just listen to me okay. You're not no one. You're someone. Scott, you're my best friend, okay and I need you. Scott, you're my brother." I AM a little ashamed to admit that I was basically full-on bawling at this point. If I were to rank individual scenes of TW, that one would be WAY up on the list. Really great stuff.

WOW!

I'm sorry, I haven't even touched upon the most recent episode once, but I just marathoned the last three, and the two before this one kind of blew my mind. This isn’t to say “Currents” was bad, it wasn’t, AT ALL, in fact I can’t even remember the last time I disliked an episode of Teen Wolf, but it was a little more standard grade greatness.

Let's talk about it! ... Wait, that's Price's line. Maybe...

ONTO THE EPISODE AT HAND! (Eh, it'll have to do.)

This damn Druid/Darach is really starting to piss me off! This guy/girl is damaging school property, killing virgins and soldiers, poisoning teenagers into fits of suicidal stupidity, and now doctors! I swear if this Darach's next sacrifice is three puppies I'm gonna lose my shit!

Does anyone even have a line on who this person is? What's the popular theory? I think I remember Stiles having a list of suspects that included:

- The Vet (a.k.a. Dr. Alan Deaton)
- Cora
- Derek (so much for that ship)
- Lydia

So we've pretty much got to scratch them all off the list, right? There's a quarter of a half-chance (12.5%?) that it's Cora, but I highly doubt it. The thing is I can't seem to come up with any other viable candidates. Geriatric Gerard of clan black-ash regurgitation deserves mentioning, but he appears to be wheelchair ridden since his foray into batshit "I would kill my entire family to stay alive" craziness, so he's probably not the Darach, though I won't rule him out completely. That old bastard is just too homicidal to discount.

Which brings me to Ms. TeachMcPerfect (I should really learn her name).

*Google search*

Jennifer Blake! Yeah, maybe it's just me, but I think Jenny is all sorts of suspicious. She's just too damn normal, you know? I'm used to my Teen Wolf female characters being not-psychics, werewolves, werewolf-hunters or mysterious guidance counselors. You know, the usual. But so far she's been nothing more than a hot English teacher that has a weird fondness for having sex with bloody and beaten werewolves.

And what was with Derek healing after their slo-mo love making? Is that yet another werewolf ability? Or was she just THAT good? I also question why after everything she's seen she hasn't asked for at least a semblance of an explanation. She's too damn adorably innocuous! It would be a stretch to say she's the Darach, but I will be SUPER surprised if she's not more than she seems to be.

Anyway, reverting back to larger scale analysis, I will never stop being impressed with how effortlessly Teen Wolf navigates between the scary stuff, the powerfully emotional stuff, and the funny... stuff (that sounded more eloquent in my head). What I'm trying to say is it's a rare and beautiful thing when within the span of 42 minutes a show can make you scared, make you laugh, and make you cry.

I credit that ability to experience a full range of emotions in one episode to the incredible pacing and balanced storytelling. Every episode truly feels like a complete chapter, but also a building block. I guess when you boil it down it comes back to the writing. It's EXCELLENT. I don't think it would be an exaggeration to say Teen Wolf is one of the best written shows on TV.

TW broke my heart with Stiles' talk down of Scott, and it couldn't even give me a 1-episode break before it punched me in the heart again with the tragic death of Boyd. But what might have gotten me even more was the unexpected appearance of Erica, only to watch her get cut down by clickety-clack (I think I hate her now. Cut your damn toenails, bitch!).

Boyd and Erica are two characters that were kept to the periphery, but nevertheless worked their way into our hearts, and were (finally on Erica's part) given fitting farewells. Though the most devastating aspect of this whole ordeal may have been the haunted look on Derek's face when Boyd died in his arms. For a badass Alpha, Derek's really just a softie at heart, and I'm worried what the guilt of this will do to him. Hang in there, Derek! Maybe Jenny's magical love-making is what the doctor ordered.

But I guess the BIG reveal of "Currents" was the Vet's declaration that Scott is the True Alpha, "one who rises purely on the strength of character, and virtue, by sheer force of will."

Scott's the chosen one, basically!

I know it's not the most original of storylines, but I don't care, I kinda love it. Scott has always been the moral center of Teen Wolf. The hero who sees things in black and white, right and wrong. The guy who would save his enemies life if he felt it was the right thing to do. He's a good, honest and genuine person, so I dig the fact he can achieve a higher state of power through strength of character. It's like something out of a fantasy RPG video game, and ANOTHER wrinkle to the supernatural rules of this show.

Betas, Omegas, Kanimas, Druids, Alphas, Beta-killing Alphas, a Demon Wolf, and now the True Alpha (not to mention individual Alpha powers). I love it! Who would have thought a show called Teen Wolf could have been so supernaturally diverse. The ingenuity never ceases to amaze.

Well, it seems my rambling was even more ramble-y than usual today, because this comment is far too long for a casual fan to write. But that's just what Teen Wolf does to me. It compels me to drink 2 Mountain Dews and stay up until late at night while pouring my heart out onto the page. And even if no one reads this far, it was worth it.

One day Teen Wolf will be heralded as a classic, and it's unfolding before our very eyes. Let us all gaze in awe, and thank the TV gods this show exists.

NOTES, OBSERVATIONS & QUESTIONS:

- So, did Derek get Boyd's powers, or what? I was disappointed we didn't see a Highlander style transference when Boyd died. Although, that probably would have electrocuted everyone, so I get the subtler approach.

- Sheriff Stilinski is finally in the know! About bloody time if you ask me! This is going to make his sheriffing duties soooooooo much easier. I'd love to see a conversation between him and Ms. McCall like "Werewolves, am I right?"

- Speaking of Mama McCall, she was a total BAMF this episode! She saved Danny's life like it was nothin'! Someone give this woman the mother of the year award, because she deserves it.

- Questions: How did the Alpha pack paint that symbol on Derek's window? Did they steal a window washer’s rig? Did the Alpha twins dangle Clickety-Clack by her clawed feet and she painted it while hanging upside-down? I don't know, but it's bothering me for some reason.

- Random Question: Does anyone have any information on Scott's dad? I don't even remember if we've been told if he's dead. I just think seeing as Scott is the True Alpha, maybe his dad has/had some supernatural inclinations, as well.

- Ms. McCall: "Yeah, well I'm not going to be anyone's human sacrifice today, so both of you, get your butts to school."

It's lines like this which mix the surreal and real so well, and remind me why I love this show. Teen Wolf hasn't forgotten the "Teen" part of its title, and that's the way it should be.

- Scott and Allison seem to be moving in a horizontal direction, which I have absolutely no problem with. Allison has been much more likeable of late, and I remember liking them as a couple, so let's go... Wait, what are we calling these two again? Can you even have a ship name after that ship has already sailed?

- How smart is Danny? His school paper was about telluric currents and how the geomagnetic fields that flow through the earth and can be affected by lunar phases. That's like, Lydia smart. MY school papers were pre-school scribblings compared to this. But I do love how Teen Wolf has gone the Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Sunnydale route, with Stiles explaining that "the weird thing about Beacon Hills is that is actually is a beacon" and "you wouldn't believe how much energy flowing through the earth is around this town." Can you say HELLMOUTH?

- What was that Erica said about the Lunar Eclipse giving werewolves more power? That could be interesting.

- How is it even possible there's only been 7 episodes so far?! I remember being worried when it was announced season three would be expanded, but I needn't have. The pacing is just as action-packed as it's ever been, and the filler has been kept to a minimum.

- I don't talk about it enough, but the music on Teen Wolf is PERFECT. Everyone in the sound department deserves an award.
More +
Flag
There's a quote that goes along the lines of "The problem with most of us is that we'd rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism." You're an analyzer, Fringey. You watch something, and you get into it, and you analyze it piece by bloody piece, and then you come on a site like this and you just unleash everything that passed through your mind while you were watching. If you really enjoy something you comment on the good, the bad, and the ugly. You come up with ways that they can improve. You pose questions, you ponder, you invoke conversations and debates. Comments would be no fun if everyone left it off at "Awesome recap (as usual Price) and I loved this episode and loved this show!) No worries Fringe, luv. I think most of us are familiar enough with your work to know that this is your process! You don't simply criticize for the sake of criticizing. ;)

I loved Mama McCall saving Danny's life because it reminded me that in most hospitals Nurses do a great deal of the work and Docs get all of the credit.

"Cut your damn toenails bitch!" Fringe, my friend, it's like you rip words out of my head. I say that every time I see that she demon. I can't stand her. I mean I didn't like her anyway, because she isn't even a cool villain, but then knowing she brutally slayed Erica like that (wasn't she the same one pissed about her dopey bf's head getting smashed in by his own leader? I mean really! You give it you get it!) I detest her now.

"Jennifer Blake! Yeah, maybe it's just me, but I think Jenny is all sorts of suspicious. She's just too damn normal, you know? I'm used to my Teen Wolf female characters being not-psychics, werewolves, werewolf-hunters or mysterious guidance counselors. You know, the usual. But so far she's been nothing more than a hot English teacher that has a weird fondness for having sex with bloody and beaten werewolves.

And what was with Derek healing after their slo-mo love making? Is that yet another werewolf ability? Or was she just THAT good? I also question why after everything she's seen she hasn't asked for at least a semblance of an explanation. She's too damn adorably innocuous! It would be a stretch to say she's the Darach, but I will be SUPER surprised if she's not more than she seems to be."

THIS. ALL OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!! She really is just too freaking normal. No one is that damn normal. She doesn't ask questions. She doesn't seem the least bit flustered. She may or may not have a magic hoo-ha. She just is hella suspicious!
More +
Flag
Aw, thanks! You get me, bleu!

But after watching "Visionary" I kinda hope we're wrong about Jenny. Derek has been through enough, you know?
Flag
Questions: How did the Alpha pack paint that symbol on Derek's window?
Answer: The Demon-Wolf Alpha pack used mirrors. Same technology Lang used in Metropolis. But 2 of them had cracks in the middle so instead of a swastika it was a "mysterious druid symbol".
About the dark druid: could it be someone new or something not being half-human at all? At the moment I'm at all odds...
BTW nice comment - but srsly New Girl? New. Girl. WTF? Body Snatchers? MK-Ultra? Cranial trauma? Do I miss an inside joke here? Couldn't you just have picked Fringe, Banshee, Sherlock, Luther, Breaking Bad as coordinates?

No. It was intentional. You purposely shattered my reality with a single blow. Well done.
"Master"(read out loud with teeth clenched).
Flag
re: New Girl
no one is perfect;-)
Flag
What's wrong with New Girl? It was the best comedy of the 2012 fall season IMHO!
Flag
"How did the Alpha pack paint that symbol on Derek's window? Did they steal a window washer’s rig? Did the Alpha twins dangle Clickety-Clack by her clawed feet and she painted it while hanging upside-down?"

Ahahaha! I would pay to see that. :D
Flag
So would I!
Flag
Great comment. You summarize the whole essence of TW in your comment. If I were a person that not see TW with this comment I will convince to watch it.
Flag
Thanks! I wrote another massive comment for "Visionary".
Flag
It's good that the show is now bordering on multiple/ couple of storylines simutaenously working together. It hasn't been done before but since the Darach and Alpha Pack storylines have come into play, the show has become more action packed rather than the emotional side drama that used to overload it.
Flag
Man I look forward more to these reviews than to the show, I already love the show but I adore these reviews! So funny :))

"personally I like the lack of closure with villains, especially if it means they get to return to the show as snarky sidekicks or ooze-spewing invalids. " hahah!

Flag
Whilst I've really enjoyed every episode that has been produced thus far, does anybody else feel like this season is progressing a lot slower than the previous two? It's probably because there are going to be twice as many episodes in season 3. This time last season we were well into the Kanima storyline, but I feel like we've barely scratched the surface with the whole Druid plot, and it's already been seven episodes. I just feel like the show really needs to step up it's game before it undoubtedly goes on a mid-season break.
Flag
Part of me agrees with you, though I've really enjoyed what *Teen Wolf* has done with the extra room a 24-episode season has given it. But when I really started thinking about it, the first two seasons also had slightly slower beginnings than the show's overall impression. For example, I always think of the trapped-in-the-school episode ("Night School") in Season 1 as both early in the season and when the action really picks up. It's actually episode 7. Ultimately, it's just that the season's final third is so tightly/frenetically paced--and that it recalls details from earlier in the season not necessarily recognized as important at the time--that provides its larger impression.
Flag
That was such a good episode.
Flag
Another great episode and perhaps I'm a minority here but I like the idea of Scott becoming an Alpha.
Flag
I am still disappointed with the season so far. The new characters (demon wolf, the twins, Kali,...) are boring and not scary. Peter seems to be a complete different character from S1 (he was the Big Bad, remember?) whose actions make no sense. And all the action scenes are the same with Demon Wolf & Co trying at the end of every episode to kill Derek.

Thankfully these recaps are great (it helps me to understand what's going on on the screen despite all the plot holes and continuity nonsense) and are one of the reasons I'm still watching. The other being all the visual and textual homoerotic metaphore between the Sterek and the Sisaac.

PS: Please, more animated GIF, it's Price-less :)
Flag
Peter's purpose on the show puzzles me. It's like they brought him back because viewers enjoyed the actor, but then they weren't really sure what to do with him anymore. Also, why can't the other alphas turn into big badass monsters like Peter? I suspect the answer is "CGI Budget," but an in-show explanation would be great.
Flag
Yeah he is kinda pointless - folks say they like his snark and the actor's delivery, but really, they could have Issac deliver snark with equally good delivery, or give more screen time to Danny.

Plus, they now have two former season big bads (Peter Hale and Gramps) alive with no real purpose - unless we're going to see them both in an MMA cage duel....
Flag
I also wondered why the other Alphas aren't these huge walking werewolves. Although we haven't seen Deucalion turn yet. I bet you the CGI is saved for him.

I'm also under the impression that Peter is not as strong as he used to be..and is no longer an Alpha. Because Derek killed him. Perhaps Peter will kill Deucalion to become a strong bad ass Alpha again. OOOH LIGHTBULB MOMENT! Remember when he tried to kill Jackson first???
Flag
Oh yeah I forgot, if Ms. Blake doesn't high tail it out of there by the end of next episode, she's definitely Evil.
If it doesn't make her run screaming in the opposite direction after being used as a hostage against a one-night stand then the nails in the coffin.
Because anyone not evil, with no real connection to the people around would take off an never look back.
Flag
I don't want her to be evil just because it would be too predictable. Last season Matt being evil was a nice twist. Just in case I don't ship Derek/Ms. Blake.
Flag
Matt being evil wasn't really a twist to me.
I just feel like for the symmetry that we've seen before from TW, the Darach is a woman, and of women that have appeared (because the villain has previously been shown in some capacity well before we know they're evil)
So we're left with:
Lydia (but that doesn't satisfy anything)
Cora (She was locked in a vault for months, and some of the murders happened while she was under lunacy)
Ms. Morrell (But if she was the darach would she really care at all about her brother or help the alpha pack?)
Ms. Blake (New teacher who reacts weirdly to the supernatural, who then proceeds to be creepy and weird and apparently make Derek react to her in completely un-derek like ways)
I don't care what people ship :P you're allowed to feel anything you want. I'm just firmly convinces that if she doesn't run to the opposite coast by the end of next ep, she's almost certainly evil.
Flag
I thought it was a great episode. Of course it wasn't as perfect as some of the audience's expectations, but it was still great. Lots of light-hearted moments, and some dark ones (both literally and figuratively) as well. If I can have one complaint, I just wish some characters have more to do on screen than just for one or two lines (e.g. Ms Morrell this ep.). That was weird, since that's her brother up for sacrifice and yet she didn't actively help in any way.

Questions:
1) Scott & Isaac watch duty scene, Stiles/Lydia/Cora ouija board scene, Danny dream scene, and to a lesser extent, Boyd's final moments. The latter one has lesser effect only due to me unable to discern everything Boyd said.

2) Of course Jennifer will. Now that Derek's all heartbroken, she'd want to be there for him.

3) No idea. A mouthful is deadly maybe (I think Danny vomited that much out).

4) Nope. I can't even imagine the horror of it.
Flag
I actually know a lot of sisters who wouldn't go looking for their brothers and viceversa IRL. In shows they usually do, but Morrell and Deaton have a bad relationship (or so it seems)
Flag
Overall a pretty good episode! I just hoped that Isaac would snap a picture with his phone of the twins holding the teacher hostage/killing Boyd, and immediately send it to Lydia and Danny (or at LEAST Lydia, since she knows what the gang is up to and all the supernatural stuff). That would've been awesome!
Flag
Lydia came up a few minutes later with Stiles and Cora, so she knows Aiden helped kill Boyd. Wonder what she'll do...
Flag
I think the twins were already out of the scene when Lydia came into the room :/
Flag
Yeah, hope we will find out in the next episode!
Flag
Anyway, I think it lacks of a lot of explanation scenes (like Stiles thanking Lydia for save them (HIM) from the explosion, Lydia telling the gang about what she saw on the fire, Cora explaining why she got out of the fire and where she has been...)
Flag
Yes, you're right about Lydia knowing was Jackson was but I don't think she remembers anything about her bite because when you suffer a trauma (physical or psychological) you don't remember (at least not clearly) what you were doing right before it and right after it. So I think somebody needs to explain Lydia certains things.
Flag
There was four months (Beacon Hill time) between the end of the last season and the start of this. Lydia states early on in Episode One that Derek taught Jackson the werewolf 101 before he went to London. So Lydia knows. She was also attacked by an Alpha so she should have an understanding of what could go wrong with Aidan.

As for the rest of your points, agreed, they don't need to spend precious screen time, but yeah, they do need to fill some logic fails/plot weirdness/constructions
Flag
Yeah, something has been really off this season when it comes to character reactions. Seems like the writers forget a lot of important stuff, if you know what I mean?
Flag
Tbh I found Derek's sadness over killing Boyd more heart breaking than Boyd dying. I only think that because they never really developed Boyd's character so I never felt a connection to him like the others but that's just me. I was laughing when Scott and Alison were trapped in the cupboard together. Loved the scene where Scott's mum woke up to find both Scott and Issac sleeping in her room when they were supposed to be there protecting her was hilarious.
Flag
I wonder when it was decided that he was going to die. His role in "Motel California" suddenly feels pointless to him... or giving us something from his past was just a way for the viewers to think he wouldn't be killed off?
Flag
Honestly disappointing... No No No NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO chosen one plots! Those are always terrible...

Scott and Allison are clearly a couple... Drop the games and get back together.

Am I the only one that thinks maybe Cora is working with DEMON WOLF?
How else did the pack know to cut the power? Or the teacher for that matter?

Moreover, what was the point of that stupid electric trap to begin with?
Umm... Couldn't they get something from the Argent's massive weapon depository?

And congrats, now beacon hill is officially sunnydale with its own "hellmouth"
/yawn

The side quests also made very little sense. Kendra told Stiles to use Lydia because she senses supernatural stuff but she did no such thing at all. I loved the way Stiles constantly tries different things as would be the case in real life, but it would have been slightly better if what Kendra said made any sense.

As for our druid friend... umm... I'm confused. Didn't the doctor die in her car? When exactly was she tied up? And will we ever see the druid actually kidnap people?

Scott in the value was one of the dumbest thing I have ever seen. It's a bank Scott... start grabbing some boxes or something and break the circle.
Geez...

And the way they killed Boyd... I'm sorry that was lame. You can't thrust someone like that and aim for vital spots. That was just a stupid cop out.

P.S
Anyone else annoyed by the special ep they did with the cast?
(spoiler if you haven't seen)

The fact that they had the twins and peter made it clear none of them are going anywhere. So who's betting on the twins switching sides?
More+
Flag
Actually, Lydia did tell them to talk to Danny. How would she have known that Danny had the information that they needed? She also drew the creepy tree which will likely be significant - since it's in the opening credits.
Flag
Lydia told them to talk to Danny because he was attacked... In fact the odd thing here is that nobody else thought about it first.

That is not something a supernatural detector is required for. Likewise, Kendra also said a detective isn't what they needed, and yet the sheriff did it because (as the vet said) good detective skills.

Now, you could say that Kendra is deliberately trying to lie to them, but more likely, the writers simply needed them to go from scene A to scene B and were just too lazy to think of something to work around it.

As for the tree, it's not the first time she drew a tree. She did 2 episodes ago, that much is obvious. But it had nothing to do with finding the vet.
Flag
Ok so like this episode as a whole was awesome. The writers have my head spinning on where this could all lead etc. When this show first began I know I wasn't the only one who thought it would be a really bad remake version of the movie, but this show has so much depth and has me frequently yelling at my TV. This episode was no different especially when Kali and the Twins had Derek kill Boyd while Scott was trying to free Deaton. The look of sheer heart break on Derek's face was heart breaking. We usually see Derek angry, cocky, arrogant, but when Boyd died he looked wrecked and Tyler Hoechlin played it perfectly. Anyone else think that the tree Lydia keeps drawing is going to end up meaning something? I mean Deaton even said Druid means "Wise Oak" and Darach means "Dark Oak" it could all tie in. Maybe Lydia is descended from the Druids?
Flag
I do think the tree means something as it is also in the credits. I think Lydia has some connection to death.
and I agree, Tyler was perfection during the scene of Boyd's death. I like him when he is sassy or sarcastic cause he does it so well, he has such a subtle but funny delivery. but when there is an emotional moment he just breaks my heart. his face is so expressive. and his body language ...
Flag
Yea when he's sassy and sarcastic it's hilarious especially when it's between him and Stiles, but yea... the last episode with Boyd he broke my heart and I just wanted to give him a hug. I'm kinda excited about seeing Scott as Alpha because we've kinda seen that happening already when it comes to Isaac. I do want to see more happen with Isaac.
Flag
The hand tremors... *shiver*.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members