We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Teen Wolf Community
Monday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television

Teen Wolf S03E05 "Frayed"

By now it should be obvious to everyone that weird is good. Just as a general fact of life: Weird things tend to be the best things. The mere presence of weird is like a steroid: Add it to any situation and that situation becomes funnier, scarier, more uncomfortable, more memorable and by extension BETTER. Weird is something that jars us out of monotony. It forces us to re-examine normalcy. It demands that we pay attention to things that make us laugh, it compels us to pick up the phone and tell our friends about the lady we just saw wearing a fur turban in Long John Silver's. Weird makes our brains tingle!

But while I know that weird is good and you know that weird is good, in my opinion tons of other people only pretend to like weird things but deep down do not like weird things. For instance, you can SAY you'd like to see a tiny rhinoceros jump into a bowl of gummy cherries and swim around in it like Scrooge McDuck in his coin vault, but in reality if you saw a tiny rhino do that you'd probably scream and hit it with a hammer and then call 911. Too weird! Or you might SAY you'd like to eat a tequila popsicle, but if you actually tried one, you'd gag, immediately throw it in a mud puddle, and then refuse to speak to your butler for weeks. Too weird! What I'm saying is, and I'm not trying to call anybody out here, but when it comes to things that are weird, different, or offbeat, there are two types of audiences: Those who embrace the weirdness and those who stand there with their arms crossed, just with very closed-off body language. The most depressing aspect of the latter group is that many of them are often very smart intellectuals who will hide behind a criticism like "Oh, it's just weird for weird's sake." DUH, yes, weirdness is often intentional, explain why that's a bad thing. Or, "Well, it was a valiant effort but the weirdness was not successful." Uh, the second anything deviates from the norm it must forge its own path, quality-wise. Weirdness has no standard for success. Weirdness is a dark forest full of strange creatures and mystery. Stop trying to make weirdness conform to your boring standards, man! (I'm feeling very righteous right now just FYI.)

What am I talking about anymore? Oh, right. Guys, "Frayed" was WEIRD, and not coincidentally, it was most likely the best episode of Teen Wolf I've seen yet. I would testify about this in a court of law. Put me on the stand. I will wear a veil and I will point a trembling finger in the direction of Teen Wolf. "That's it, your honor. That's it right there. Its best episode so far is 'Frayed'." And then I'd collapse from all the humidity.

All right, it's time to talk about this thing! The main thing to know is this episode basically blended two episodes' worth of events into one and told the whole thing via flashbacks and occasionally flashbacks-within-flashbacks. So, much like an early '90s dance-rap anthem, this recap is going to jump around.

This episode basically started off in David Lynch territory, with this spooky single-take shot that tracked back from a quicksilver skyline to the various students on a school bus. In what would be a trend for the episode I realized I'd totally missed or gotten wrong key things from previous episodes, like the fact that all the main dudes are on the cross-country team now! (My brain is the worst.) Anyway, here they were off to a cross country meet and Scott was not having a great time.

We knew something was off because he was having dream imagery of things we hadn't seen happen yet. And also he had an as-yet unexplained nasty wound:

So yeah, if all these clues weren't enough of an indication that we'd suddenly jumped forward in time 'We Have To Go Back to the Island!'-style, then the next part probably did the trick:

Derek was dead! Or something. Maybe? So yeah, just to recap, Scott had been injured very badly and he believed Derek was dead. Even more worryingly, Isaac had chosen to sit beside Boyd on the bus and NOT Scott. WHAT was going on?

Haha oh right, the props department really wanted us to know that this episode would be playing with conventional chronology. Between Lydia's light reading and Stiles' Word of the Day iPad app ("INCONGRUOUS"), the thesis statements were right up front. By the way, we all knew that Lydia was a not-so-secret genius, but it turns out she's borderline blind? Why was she holding the book that close?? Was it a scratch-n-sniff?

Due to whatever mysterious thing had happened the night before, Allison had decided to follow the boys' school bus to their cross-country meet. You know, to keep them safe. I honestly thought this was really refreshing. After watching four seasons of The Vampire Diaries wherein the central bros constantly followed Elena around in order to keep her safe, this was a nice gender reversal. And it wasn't a joke either: This episode did a lot to prove that Allison has become a very formidable warrior in her own right.

A quick flashback revealed that Lydia was definitely getting it on with one of the twunks. It's unclear if she did so before or after discovering that he was a murderous werewolf, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say it was before.

Meanwhile a flashback showed us that Scott and Allison had started to hang out again, but their friendship had taken on a bit of a sparring element in which they argued over who was the better fighter or something. Not gonna lie, Allison didn't look too comfortable doing kung-fu at Scott, but this was still a very charming scene. Up until Scott sorta hurt her and she got ticked.

Another thing I totally missed from previous episodes: The Argents had moved! I mean, I saw the boxes in her room during the season premiere but I assumed that she'd returned from Europe with tons of tchotchkes? Also we knew that all the sets had been rebuilt during the show's move to L.A. so I guess it never occurred to me that her bedroom was supposed to look entirely different. Anyway now they live in a highrise because recently Beacon Hills transformed from Mystic Falls into Gotham City and I am really glad. The small town setting was getting less and less believable by the episode. Anyway, the bad news for the Argents was their new upstairs neighbors were EVIL WEREWOLVES.

Scott obviously had an elevator run-in with THE DEMON WOLF, who said some creepy stuff about Scott's potential as an Alpha or something. Who knows. All I could think about was how much I'd hate to live downstairs from that lady Alpha. So much toenails-on-hardwood floors click-clackin'! And you know they listen to the worst music way too loud and way too late. Ugh.

Meanwhile back at Derek's loft, most of the 'good' werewolves had convened to look at blueprints and figure out how to murder THE DEMON WOLF.

It was pretty much agreed that they needed to sneak into the Alpha Werewolves' apartment and murder them in a sneak attack, but Scott was quite frankly annoyed at having to go on another murder mission. 

Meanwhile further flashbacks and flash-forwards clarified what Scott had meant when he said Derek had died.

But of course his body had disappeared (along with the body of the giant Alpha that he'd fallen onto the escalators with (holding hands?) and guess who was ON THE CASE!

I'm not sure how the Hales came to the conclusion that only ONE of the two had lived, but there we had it: Either Derek was dead or the other dude was dead. Meanwhile you know what was alive and well? Peter and Cora's sassy uncle-niece relationship.

Danny was sitting beside one of the twunks on the bus. I guess I have to call him Ethan now that they have lines? Or was this Aidan. I don't know, guys, baby steps. Anyway this was a funny bit in which Stiles texted Danny over and over to find out just with whom his boo had been texting all day. It turned out he'd been waiting to hear word about whether his Alpha friend was alive or not. So it seemed like the Alpha was the one who was alive! Bad news for Derek.

Meanwhile I don't know about you guys but I am LOVING the massive amounts of sparks that are happening between Danny and Ethan. Theirs is a passion that could burn a fire. Just chemistry for days.

So yeah, guess where the Alpha Pack brought their dying friend? 

And to his credit, the weird veterinarian did not give an EFF about these creatures. His former bestie Kendra was like, "Oh come on pls" and he finally relented but was super pissy about it. Love him lately.

I don't know what to tell you guys but I thought the Coach was really funny in this episode. He did not sit down for even a single second on this moving bus. Nope, he mostly just yelled at everybody, including everybody's new favorite character, this guy:

I would watch a show just about these two hanging out. Maybe this guy Jordan, once he got over his motion sickness, could visit Coach at the adult daycare facility where he lives.

So the whole thing in the present-tense timeline was that Scott was straight-up DYING from his wounds and Stiles really wanted to get the Coach to pull over. I liked this bit where they yelled in each other's faces for a long time, and then Stiles resorted to Plan B:

Talking the sick kid into puking!

If Stiles's creepy smile in this scene doesn't haunt your dreams, then you will be one of the lucky few.

Anyway, after the guy puked all over everybody and everything, the gang whisked Scott into a rest stop bathroom where they noticed that he was basically dead and also his wounds were seeping with black ooze, Kanima-style. Except nobody brought up the Kanima connection and instead it was decided that Scott was dying because he was sad about Derek. #feels

At this point Allison decided she needed to stitch up the wound but she couldn't get her shaky hands to thread the needle, so that's when the world's best guardian angel appeared to YELL AT HER.

It should come as no shock that THIS METHOD WORKED. Sometimes we could all use a little bit of Mrs. Argent shouting at us, you know? And to be honest, I really enjoyed that Mrs. Argent's bossy 'tude was a force for good here. Even if she was just a figment of Allison's damaged psyche, she still had a hand in helping save the life of a werewolf. I don't know, I was touched.

So then Scott died.

Haha just kidding, he didn't die! After the commercial break he was fine. Also, look at how good of a job Allison did sewing him up:

Gonna need some Neosporin or something.

Then the best flashback happened:

Way to bury the lede, episode! Isaac and Scott's home life was SO CUTE. In this scene Scott was trying to sneak out so that he could go rumble with THE DEMON WOLF, but he pretended he was just going out for a burrito and Isaac assumed he was invited and looked SO STOKED to go get a burrito with his bestie. Seriously, look at his face:

HEART EYES. Anyone would be powerless to resist this, so Scott obviously had no choice but to let Isaac come with, so next thing you know this was happening:

I mean. Just. It's almost too much at this point. Just kidding it will never be too much.

Nothing to see here.

Anyway, in the present tense, Scott recovered just in time to witness Isaac beating the ever-loving SH*T out of Ethan.

And once again it was clear that Scott is legit the only person Isaac listens to or cares about anymore.

(SIIIIIIIGH.)

Also in the present tense, it was looking like the creepy vet had successfully saved the life of that Alpha Giant. That is, until THE DEMON WOLF arrived.

HAHAHAHA. WHAT??? The DEMON WOLF straight-up crushed the guy's skull and, I guess, sucked in his powers? Yeah I'm pretty sure the DEMON WOLF crushed the guy's skull and sucked in his powers.

Lady werewolf did NOT take it well:

Meanwhile the werewolf detectives were like, "Oh, I guess the Alpha was alive and then he died so Derek is probably dead." Or whatever. Just leaping to conclusions right and left. Then they ducked behind an El Camino and ran off.

So then the big flashback finally got underway: A ROYAL RUMBLE IN AN ABANDONED MALL!

And then everybody fought in slow motion!

Unfortunately the the good-guy werewolves (sans Peter, who probably didn't want to miss that night's Dance Moms) totally got their asses handed to them very quickly. 

I just needed to show you this picture because it answered a question a lot of us had had for a few seasons now: Yes, lady beta werewolves DO have sideburns. Also, how disgusting would it be to have an always-barefoot woman putting her foot on your neck? Does werewolf healing protect you from tetanus also? But yeah, back to the point, all the beta werewolves were captured and THE DEMON WOLF wanted Derek to pick who would be killed: his sister or Scott. In my opinion Derek didn't seem to love having to make that choice.

BUT! Then an important flashback happened!

Allison's father had told her not to get involved in the disagreement between their upstairs neighbors and the gang of sexy dudes she chills with. Mr. Argent had lately been in a live-and-let-die sort of mood, but Allison felt more obligated to help her friends. So she did!

I really and truly loved this moment. Allison broke up the werewolf party with more flash-grenade arrows! I am loving Lady Arrow over here, this scene was so superhero movie it gave me chills. Remember how sorta-irrelevant Allison was during the first season? Now she's so important and cool, I'm frankly shocked. 

So then a brief tussle broke out between Scott and the giant Alpha and for a split second HE turned into an Alpha also?

What was the deal with this? Was this something to do with the 'inner Alpha' that people have alluded to? Or was it just foreshadowing that Derek's heart was going to stop? Who knows.

Then Derek and the giant Alpha fell onto some escalators (holding hands?) and died. 

Thus concluded the worst night our heroes had experienced within the prior two day period.

I guess Allison had ditched her car at the rest stop because suddenly she and Lydia were on the bus having meaningful convos with the fellas. Another cute moment as Scott properly thanked Allison for saving his werewolf butt the night before.

Dang, Allison is knee-deep in love interests at this point! 

Meanwhile Lydia and Stiles momentarily discussed all the Druidic murders that had been going down lately.

In Lydia's opinion the murders were a pre-war ritual of some kind. Meaning two factions were about to go to war or something. Sure why not?

Oh, and because we have hearts and brains and reasonable expectations of serialized television, this should not have come as much of a shock to any of us:

DEREK WAS ALIVE! SORT OF!

Yeah, one of the perks of being in the opening credits of a show is that you probably will not be killed off in Episode 5. But still, hey welcome back, Derek!

All right, a crappy photo recap does not fully get across the inventiveness and originality of this episode.  The most obviously weird part about it was how it was structured, timeline-wise, but I think that it was clever and thrilling across the board. Basically we knew this was a midseason episode and only so many shocking things can happen, so the writers were pretty much acknowledging that we all KNEW our heroes would all survive this royal rumble at the abandoned mall and therefore the episode was more about how they processed the aftermath. The nonlinear flashback-within-flashback thing to me was not so much about being flashy, but an actually organic way to show the audience the thought processes of our characters. Why would Allison suddenly show up and interrupt the rumble? Here's a quick flashback to explain that! Why was Isaac so angry at Aidan? Here's a quick flashback to show him getting his ass beat by Werewolf Voltron! I don't know, I just felt like this format spruced up what would have been some pretty unsurprising storytelling and made it feel fresh again. Add to that some brief but stellar character work (Mrs. Argent's scene! Allison and Scott's tussle! Scisaac!) and some legitimately funny Stiles scenes, and this was one of the strongest and best episodes of Teen Wolf I can remember. This is a show that is firing on all cylinders at the moment, you guys. It's not afraid to get full-on weird and personally I think it's a national treasure at this point.  

Okay now I am going to go hug my air conditioner BYEEE.

QUESTIONS
... Exactly which armies will be facing off? Will all of the werewolves be on the same team?

... Did you believe for even a second that Derek was dead be honest.

... Has your opinion of Allison changed over the seasons?

... #Scisaac 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/8/2016

Season 5 : Episode 20

509 Comments
Comments (509)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Still love Isaac he makes everything funny and cute.

Flag
not to bash Price's love of the weird but I am still not a 100% on this episode. I liked that it condensed a lot of stuff, the Isaac freaking out over Scott thing was adorable but it just didn't seem to flow with the style of teen wolf, I think I just need time to take it in.
Flag
Colton Haynes goes to Arrow, but Crystal Reed gets to use the bow and arrow? How does that work? :-) Maybe she'll make a guest appearance on Arrow....
Flag
Not at all crappy.

Everyone else has already mentioned all the great things in this recap, except for one: Peter. Dance Moms.

PriceLESS!

Flag
Another reason why DW may have killed IBW is because IBW might have seen Scott's alpha eyes, and DW didn't want that getting out to the others. He definitely sensed the change in Scott though because as soon as Scott started charging toward IBW, they showed DW taking notice and shifting his attention in their direction.
Flag
At about 8.5 minutes into this episode, watch the fight between Derek and Kali.
Flag
Derek's fist didn't have to connect. His werewolf chakra extends about 8 inches away from his body. She totally felt that.
Flag
Someone wrote this on Tumblr about today episode:

Ok, so you know how someone looked at the IMDB page for the guy shown with wolf eyes committing suicide, and it said “Alexander Argent"?

Here’s my theory: now that Alison knows the whole truth about how and why her mother died, she’s starting to reexamine the events of her childhood - family that died or disappeared suddenly, etc.

What if the scene of Alexander Argent’s suicide is part of one of Alison’s hallucinations? Her fear has gone from being weak, to every member of her family being trapped in the same loop of hunting werewolves and being turned or killed by them.

Interesting.

Flag
Derek had to choose between Cora and Boyd, not Cora and Scott.
Flag
*g* Oh this is fun.
-It was weird, the first half of the episode I was kinda like "eh". Then the last half? LOVED it. I don't know, it just was something.
-I for one love how much these characters have grown. I love that Lydia is pretty much "in" now. I love that she and Stiles sort of work together as the thinkers and the brains of this motley crew of Supernatural freaks and friends. That's their job. That's how they can add to everything that is going on, be relevant, be more than just a best friend or trusty sidekick. They're integral to the team just like everyone else. I love that. I love the fact that Stiles has this new maturity and confidence that he didn't have before. He's seen a lot and it has effected him and he's grown as a result of that, and that is realistic. He's unfazed, but in this really cool way rather than a jaded way. I love that Scott has also been bringing his A game too. It isn't as easy to make fun of him for being an idiot, because he's matured and he's becoming a leader. He isn't just talking about it, but he's living it. Allison is probably my fave by far though, she's a top notch leading lady at this point. I actually like who she's become now that she isn't with Scott romantically and she and her father aren't at odds. She knows who she is now. She's confident and badass. She really is all Lady Arrow and nothing was more fantastic than watching her show up and shoot arrow grenades left and right to save her friends. One of my favorite moments of this episode, along with that awesome scene with Mrs. Argent. I was never a huge Mrs.Argent fan, I wasn't obsessed with how amazing she was like most, but I appreciated her as a character and I loved that scene because she was both as hard and callous as was her demeanor but it was well intentioned. I'd love to see that more if they can swing it.
-I'm still trying to figure out just why Isaac and Boyd don't seem to gel. I mean, they were together for so long when Derek turned them, so why do they always seem so distant? It was Boyd and Erica and Isaac was off on his own, for whatever reason. I noticed that last week and found it irksome, but this week they didn't even attempt to calm each other down, which as members of the same pack, they should have each other's back more.
-Isaac living with Scott is kinda the best. I love that kid. He's snarky and sweet, and kudos to him this week for kicking some ass because out of all of him he's the least scrappy. He needs some training or something. The thing with him is, he'll forever be that character haunted by his abusive childhood and while it makes me sad that that it comes up frequently, I appreciate and love that they never let you forget that. Him beating a twunk to a bloody pulp was another example of that.
-Stiles and that devious face. Win. Also, his incessant texts to Danny. Had me in hysterics.
- I'm still not feeling this Demon Wolf. I mean, wtf? Just..whatever. I also can't stand the she wolf with the funky toes, and while we're at it...I'm not feeling Derek's sister either. Cora is a pain in the ass, and pretty much reminds me of another "ora". Nora on True Blood. IT's like they're the same character on two different shows. Ugh.
-Freaking love the Coach. Freaking love him.
-I love the Vet too. Still can't figure out just what his niece or whatever is up too, but the Vet has to be one of the coolest dudes on here. He refuses to be fazed. Refuses to be intimidated, and sighs like dying shirtless werewolves are just a huge inconvenience to him. He's awesomeness.
-I kinda love that Derek just went to Teach and did the whole bloody palm print on the car window thing. I seriously hate it when that happens. This can be fun to watch. I still don't know what to make of this teacher. Witch? I don't know, but I kinda find her interesting and I kinda like the idea of Derek interacting with someone around his age or something. I don't know. I can dig it, whatever it is.
-Totally enjoying this season. Not crazed about the Blind Alpha dude and this Alpha pack but the Druid Virgin Murders have me all intrigued.
More+
Flag
I haven't much liked any big bad aside from Hale, and only barely, as he was only barely screen-active his year.

THE DEMON WOLF guy is pretty much the Tired Cliche Bond Villain.

Tired Cliche Bond Villain [paraphrasing]: I'm brilliant, I'm European (which makes me cultured), I'm eevil (yes, with two e's, because that's how I would say 'evil') I'll could kill you at any time, but I won't--I shan't--because it's not my movie--er, show, so I will toy with you until that split-second chance in which you get the upper hand...and then I'll be utterly...and uniformly...flabbergasted.

But I did enjoy his self-rant in Derek's place. Classic 'this show'.
Flag
Yeah, DW as TCBV nails, down to him being conveniently in the elevator to have his little chit chat with Scott. I guess the writers didn't want to script another scene where the big bad Alphas gang up on Scott and Issac at the McCall home so that DW can have a heart to heart with Scott and probably do another version of the self-rant....
Flag
I liked the elevator scene, though it was admittedly cheaper than having the same chat with more actors. It was a nice and fitting wutlol moment in a wutlol show to find out THE DEMON WOLF rents the penthouse above Derek's secret lair.
Flag
It's unfortunate, because Gideon Emery is a talented actor :(. I really wish they had never done that "DEEEEEMONNNNNN WOOOOOOOOLF" part.
Flag
Yeah, I don't blame the actor. He's fine aside from the obvious typecasting, but I'd cringe if they'd made an actor I knew and liked heave up that line. Someone like Noomi Rapace or Mads Mikkelsen. I'd rather watch a kitten di--meow for food.
Flag
Mads has chewed up script pages.... And the speech from Prometheus, really? It dripped fondu all over that conference room.
Flag
Can we just acknowledge how good Crystal Reed was in that scene where she was stitching up Scott? Chills. My heart hurt. She's a really good actress.
Flag
That scene really blew me away. I'm not the biggest fan of Allison, but that was definitely one of my favorite scenes in the entire series.
Flag
Exactly which armies will be facing off? Lydia and Stiles are speculating that the Alphas and evil druids are going to be butting heads. Yet, it is the human population that is being killed. I have a feeling the evil druids have more planned for Beacon Hills than simply to fight a pack of expendable (apparently since sociopath Duke was more than happy to kill of one of his own) alphas. One thing we do know, is that each victim (except the lifeguard) has in someway, admittedly loosely, related back to our core group of characters. Two teachers from their school, one guy visiting the vet, a friend of Stiles, and a girl in the same woods that five werewolves are roaming around. These aren't friends of the Alpha's, that we know of, but their deaths are affecting someone: our heroes. So, my theory is that the evil druids are declaring war on Scott and friends. Will all of the werewolves be on the same team? I hope not. We've already added Peter to the team, I can't imagine them being able to work side by side with Duke.
Did you believe for even a second that Derek was dead? Be honest. Yes and no. Yes, in the sense that I believe he died when he fell from that height onto the escalator. No, in the sense that I didn't think it was the last we'd seen from him. Even if he'd died, he'd be back. He's one of the leads.
Has your opinion of Allison changed over the seasons? Yes. I didn't hate her last season like so many other fans did, but I also saw a lot to be desired in her character. She showed way too much co-dependency in the first two seasons. This year she is becoming a stronger and more independent woman and it's fun to see that growth.
... #Scisaac I absolutely loved their scene together in Scott's room. Their story since the end of last season, the trust and support of one another, has been fun. For me, it has been the most fun because of how far Isaac has come. Being transformed into a werewolf really changed Isaac, for the worse. The connection he's made with Scott has brought him back from the brink and helped him to find himself again.
More+
Flag
Here's a Crystal Reed's interview:

http://teenwolfdaily.com/crystal-reeds-interview-with-ology-new-season-3-spoilers/

Crystal: No, they’re not all bad. Some start off bad and turn into being great, and some people start off great and turn into becoming bad! That’s why we love drama!

I think it may be what will happen with the twins, even more since Holland Roden said that there will be a love triangle with Lydia-Stiles-new Lydia's love interest (Aiden?). Someone that starts good and ends becoming bad may be Cora (is she the darach? Why didn't she and Derek talk about why she survived the fire and where she has been all this time?)

Crystal: I would probably pick Derek’s sister, Cora. She brings a whole lot of questions for Derek, about his past, about his family, and about where she’s been.

I agreed with her because the reasons I already said above.

Crystal: It’s mythological, it’s all mythological. And somebody has something to do with it! Somebody who we’ve met in Episode 1!

Deucalion is too obvious and I think, as Stydia, that there's two sides: one is the darach and the other on is Deucalion and his group of alphas. Ms Blake is indeed suspiciuos (and a little creepy) and I don't trust Cora, although I want to.
More +
Flag
On the #Scisaac front, I forgot to mention the awesomeness that was Issac reacting to what was happening with Scott. I didn't hear what Stiles said the first time, but upon a second screening I finally got that Isaac's reaction and subsequent beating of the twin was because Scott was dying. Isaac has definitely connected and attached himself to Scott.
Flag
I rewatched the episode. I noted that when he episode starts the coach yelled to a dude and said sit down. It's possible that this dude is the mysterious Greenberg. OMG imagine that, we making theories about the darach and we didn't notice that he is possible Greenberg. hahaha
Flag
Are we forgotting about grandpa? He disappeared on the finale season, maybe he's the darach.
Flag
The greatest mystery of Teen Wolf is Greenberg not Lydia.
Flag
I actually felt like the entire point of the flashback structure was to prolong the period of time that we believe Derek is dead (in the beginning of the episode he's supposedly already died, the events leading up to that are all shown in flashbacks, he's revealed as alive in the very last scene) which is probably why that structure didn't work for me. Because I've seen television before and didn't believe for a second that he was dead, so...I would've been fine with a linear timeline. We still would've seen each character's motivations.
Flag
Bonus brownie points. With whipped cream even.
Flag
Am I the only one who thought, Pterodactyl Power Bow?
Flag
I didn't like Allison in season 1 and 2 much. Now I do, she's interesting, she's badass. All round awesome.

And pfff. I didn't believe Derek was dead for a second.

Stiles was awesome as always and Scott... he better at least give Derek a hug after all this angst over his supposed death.
Flag
Okay, I get it! Scott is reading more, but how many times do they have to refer to it. Enough already! Is Scott becoming an Alpha? Did Deucalion kill his alpha-buddy because he saw Scott's red-alpha eyes?

Am I the only one concerned that we still don't know what Lydia is? Her werewolf bite immunity is still rather vague. At least Alison is concerned of Lydia's divided loyalties. Also, I love that she has found her inner-Arrow. *Yay!*

As always, Stiles was the scene-stealer. That creepy smile. *hehehe*

Am I over thinking this? 3 hour bus ride and yet the gang has the restroom to themselves? I don't think so! And sewing him up was enough to "cure" Scott? No pep talk?

Why does Derek go to the teacher for help? Don't they know not to trust new people? They are usually part of the plot to kill you!!!
Flag
Yeah, the eternity at the rest stop (or was that because it was the LONE unisex rest room there) is another convenient plot moment, just like the DW in the EMPTY elevator for the heart to heart with Scott.
Flag
1. I think there will prob be 2 storylines as it is a longer season. Once they defeat the Alpha pack and Scott becomes an Alpha in his own right they will then need to face the dark druid.

2. Not even for a little bit.....who in their right mind would kill off Derek????

3. 1st season I thought she was annoying but it didn't really bother me. Second season I decided I didn't really like her but she has really turned a corner in season 3 and is becoming kinda awesome! So hopefully she continues to get better and better.

4. I love Isaac! So any scenes with him in it are great, but the bromance with Scott is really fun to watch (at least someone is looking out for Isaac!)
Flag
i really hate the new font and its size. -.-
Flag
I'll admit that I hate that capital J's are down there with lowercase j's now. Yeah...that's a little unfortunate.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I rewatched the episode earlier today and it was interesting to see that after Scott's eyes turn red and then return to normal, Scott shakes his head a little, as if he was physically affected by the change.
Flag
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he had no clue he'd done it, though he felt something. When he shook his head, he just looked like he thought he might've sprained a muscle somewhere.
Flag
I hope it happens again so that Scott can explore what's going on.
Flag
Yee...ah, I'm sure it'll happen again, since I think it's part of the endgame this season, but this is Scott...so I'm sure he'll be the last to know in some kind of earth-shattering reveal...to him. Maybe he'll finally learn to fight (or actually get a decent hit on one of the alpha twunks) and then he'll see himself in a broken-and-grimy-but-perfectly-placed mirror.

In the meantime, Alison's seen them, but she's not gonna directly talk about it (because that would...make sense?) until a bunch of solo reading up and vague questions to people without letting them in on it. Skinny Vin Diesel saw them, but I think that's why THE DEMON WOLF killed him so quickly.

The question now is: Who's the next person to see his eyes and not tell him about them? Hale? Isaac? Stiles?

On a side note, I wonder if they regret establishing that alphas have red eyes, since at least Scott's becoming one. Unless the druids do something to the alpha pack, all of Scott and Derek's pack will need to be alphas, and I don't think they're gonna want all the good guys running around with red eyes for the rest of the show. I think they wasted the blue eyes, personally.
More +
Flag
I think she did see the red eyes, but is simply confused. She doesn't know what it means, or if it will happen again, so she stays cautious until she knows more about it before burdening Scott with it. She's clearly worried and wants to keep an eye on him - it was the whole reason she was following the bus. Besides 'talking to Scott' is kind of difficult for her now, because of all their issues, so that's a second reason she's not telling yet. They had their first normal talk at the end of the episode.
Flag
I won't accept that she didn't know she was gawking at his red eyes while she was gawking at him when he had red eyes. At the very least, it would be something to look into whether she talked to him about it or not.

The training issue could be a valid reason, but it'd have to be proven eventually. Some kind of flashback with her dad.

Mr. Argent: "Well, if Scott's eyes were red as you say, telling him or any of them could have catastrophic consequences for everyone involved. What if Scott doesn't want to lead? What if Derek doesn't want Scott to lead?" Etc. I think it's just silly nonsensical story stretching, but this reason would make sense if it's the reason.
Flag
I figured she didn't mention the red eyes because she was't sure of what she'd actually seen. It was an intense moment, lots of adrenaline and they quickly went away. She could have easily convinced herself that she'd imagined them.

Then again, due to her training, maybe she knows she shouldn't interfere with his transformation to Alpha and chose not to mention it for a reason.
Flag
They do surprise us sometimes by having someone do the right thing quickly, when they could've stretched said thing out cheaply for weeks.

I'm not sure since it's been a while, but I thought the blue eyes were given to omegas. Since Jackson was pretty much a tool, they were likely gonna have him walking around...being a tool, and having no allegiance, etc. But I don't remember the omega that Grandpa Argent killed.

Didn't Derek have them in season 1? If so, they should've made omega eyes just a flat brown or black. Oh well, rite?
Flag
I meant to write that I hope it happens again *soon*. And you're probably right about other people seeing his eyes change but not telling him LOL But I hope they shock us by letting someone (QUICKLY) tell him or letting him figure out for himself that it's going on.

You're right; they did waste the blue eyes. But when they showed Jackson with blue eyes, I think they had something different in mind than what's actually going on. Colton Haynes' departure changed things up a bit.

LMAO@ Skinny Vin Diesel
Flag
Funny Price Quote of the week:
"...it was most likely the best episode of Teen Wolf I've seen yet. I would testify about this in a court of law. Put me on the stand. I will wear a veil and I will point a trembling finger in the direction of Teen Wolf. "That's it, your honor. That's it right there. Its best episode so far is 'Frayed'." And then I'd collapse from all the humidity."

I LOL'ed so bad here.
Flag
1). I'm wondering will our resident Alpha Pack O' Brats team up with our Pack O' Misfits so take on a common enemy that rises like a Gerard Argent from a puddle of black goop? I dunno, I just got a bad feeling about that guy.

2). Nope. I'm not sure the point was ever to shock audiences though, I imagine the emotional impact's what's going to matter heading into the next episode/s. This was maybe a set-up for maybe the most emotionally challenging thing Scott's faced...loss of a loved one/friend. Could push him over the line between Pacifist-Until-Violece-Is-100%-Necessary into Allison-Circa-Season-Episodes-11-And-12. To a slightly lesser extent, of course, but still...dark times ahead for our hero.

3). I think I've got a more firm grasp on who she is, and I like it. Very many chills were sent during her big rescue scene - also, how does Allison know where and when this s*** is gonna go down? I don't think anyone but Derek and THE DEMOND WOLF (I cannae call him by his real name and I blame you, Price) knew.

4). #Scappiness (Don't sound nearly as good but I ain't feeling sad Scott McCall. He needs more smiley time. No frowny face, sir. ScottxHappiness pwetty pwease.)

It's good to watch this episode to learn proper battle etiqutte: if there is equal loss on both sides, acknowledged by both sides, everyone first stands frozen in shock...and then just leave. 'Battle's off. Raincheck. Gotta deal with emotions. Kill ya later'.

I liked the slo-mo in this episode, shockingly. It worked with the lighting, and the dramatic music had a place, which is always awesome. (Nothing like music soaring as a person steps into view of...a high scool. Fireflies, you was cray.)

So...I didn't read any comments yet, so it may not even be an issue here, but just to say, to those who think it's crazy that Derek went to Ms Blake...I'm pretty sure he didn't wake up on an elevator, bruised battered and a little broken, and think 'Hey, where's that nice teacher lady? I wanna go spend some quality time with her!' He was going to the high scool to find Scott, who was putting distance between him and Beacon Hills by the Trilogy of Hours (that traffic was cray also). There was no manipulation of Derek Hale logic. Unless they tried to make us believe he'd traipse his way to Deaton or even Chris Argent, I mean...c'mon. Dude's nearing death, it seems. Where else would he go but the one person nearby who might even vaguely grasp the supernatural truth behind his state? Only one lady for the job.

I wonder about Peter...he clearly has his hand dipped deeper in events this season than we've been let in on, but I want to focus more on his very first actions in the series - I'm starting to think it was no coincidence, him biting Scott. I'd wager there was a lot more to it than just 'Hey there's some random kid in the woods I wanna go bite him'. And he too wanted to get Scott to kill one of(/some of?) his friends...though not a 'pack', I can't help but thing that's an awful strange parallel...but I may be overthinking it.

I would have liked more Lydia. One recurring qualm right there, never enough confident, intellectually brilliant, sassy Lydia. Just enough to please but not enough to fulfill. More Lydia, please.

The return of Victoria Argent was amazing. I liked that glipmse at Allison's psyche, I do believe it seems to be her minds way of forgiving her mother for her actions against Scott that ultimately led to her death. Her inner hero manifests itself as the woman who essentially betrayed her, she's allowing her mother to perhaps finish her job - raise her daughter, for just a little bit longer - and make up for her mistakes. I do look forward to seeing an Allison who is in 100% control and knows her own strength - at the end of the day, vision of her mother or not, it was her and her alone who did the deed, got the job done, and saved Scott. I do greatly appreciate the addition of the phantom mother, however. Allison's in desperate need of closure - here's hoping this grants her just that.

I also appreciated her taking action in keeping an eye on Scott. Lady ditched school and all! She's becomming more competent, more determined in her actions and is so achieving a lot more when she sets out to do something. I imagine self-doubt and fear, perhaps, of becomming Kate Argent, stifled the voice of the hero inside. Allison's always had potential but things always get in the way - sometimes I think the writers just didn't quite know where she stood as a character, and again I cite the locker room scene wherein she backs away fearfully from Jackson before making her move, and then reverts once more back to the confused Allison whose actions tend to be less precise, who isn't so in charge...she's found her footing, and I'm enjoying it immensely. Makes her decision, acts on it, succeeds. Makes her decision, acts on it, succeeds. Does everyone's job for them. Succeeds. Jeff Davis said it: 'I like her as a hero'. Me too, dude. Me too. I had assumed we'd have another tiresome 'Father mentors daughter', but no, we see her take a stand against the man and her actions not having consequences. Five episodes in and she's the unopposed hero of this saga. #TeamAllison

Undecided yet how I feel about Cora. I'm looking forward to gaining a better understanding of her. But she sure can eye-roll with the best of 'em. (The Hales, I mean. Gold medalists in eye-rolling two generations running (probably more).

I really enjoyed the episode. We have some episodes to go before 3A is finished yet I'm feeling this is the right episode to have approached in this way. The plot for this season doesn't seem to be so much as a whodunnit as a whydunnit, as as been said before, and it's hinged on the actions our characters take in response to their antagonists - Derek's 'death' will probably mark a big change in Scott's characer. Even once he finds out Derek's alive, I doubt that jolt of realization that, yes, it could very well happen that instantly, to anyone, will suddenly subside - this will likely change Scott, and the transition from Scott prior to that loss to Scott living with the understandinf of what loss is...I think that will be important.

As for his eyes - again, I have to wonder if Peter's biting him was accidental. We know THE DEMON WOLF knows of a certain potential in Scott to be more than he is, and think about it - do Peter's actions a la season 1, in hindsight, make sense? He wanted to make a pack? What for? Perhaps in preparation. And perhaps he wanted to unleash Scott's abilities...I wonder, though, why people keep jumping to 'Alpha eyes'. Jeff has said that eye colour does not represent Alpha, Beta or Omega, there's a different meaning behind it. I'm curious about it now...there's something mysterious happening and I'm sure it's more than just 'Scott could become an organic alpha'. I suppose we have to wait for our characters to unearth the answers...

I'm really enjoying this season. It feels a bit more rabid, looser, and all the more tense for it. The threat isn't concealed away, doing it's own business, it's right there, under their noses, showing up to wink sadistically in the background while they tear through the foundations. It's more prominent, personal and threatening than what has come before. And there is a mystery still. And hints of romance. And comedy. It's certainly different from season 1 and 2 tonally, and visually, yet I think it all adds to what is fast becomming the most characer focused season we've had, certainly for Allison and Scott, and Derek. And I'm loving it.

More+
Flag
"I'm starting to think it was no coincidence, him biting Scott. I'd wager there was a lot more to it than just 'Hey there's some random kid in the woods I wanna go bite him'. And he too wanted to get Scott to kill one of(/some of?) his friends...though not a 'pack', I can't help but thing that's an awful strange parallel...but I may be overthinking it."

This is tied into my own growing theories as well. There is much more to this than we know, there is something in Scott and probably in his past that has people standing up and paying attention to him.
Flag
If the writers do that, they are Effing up what they did in S1, where Peter has his moment with Stiles and tells him he could have picked him instead of Scott. While they do have the room to reinvent the past, it would just be such a constructed logic twist plot convention as to personally annoy me to death. And yeah, Peter needs to do something more than snark and show up afterwards.
Flag
I just can't wait til the intro is going to show Scott's eye changing to red instead of yellow!
Flag
Well I think surely they are building towards a unifyed werewolf pack. With Demon Wolf killing the Gladiator they are making him the bad guy even for his own pack so Scott or Derek could swoop in and convince them to turn their backs towards him. I am assuming the other half of the season will actually concentrate on the fight between our friendly weres against the evil Druid.
And Allison is not annoying at all anymore, love her. Elena from TVD is just soo annoying with her decisions, it is refreshing to see a proactive female character! Yay.
Flag
Flag
Look, people hate grammar nazis and blah blah blah, but this is different. Spelling definitely as defiantly is inconsiderate. It makes people have to re-read your sentence and reach a new comprehension of just where you were trying to go with your point. You see, because "defiantly" is a word. It means doing something in a defiant manner. With defiance. You can spell "definitely" wrong if you want. Spell it "definately" if you like, that seems to be popular, just so long as when we read it, we know which word you meant. You can be a terrible speller. That's a right we can't take away from you, but take the time to at least spell the right word wrong, otherwise you are infringing on our right to understand the English language, and that's just not cool. It's part of our identity. It's who we are.
Flag
Like some people are saying is very strange that Peter was not in the fight with the Alpha Pack. Maybe he still feel weak, but it's strange that in the episode Fireflies he didn't helped to find Cora too.

Flag
Well, Peter has mentioned several times that he is not in fighting shape because of his little stint as dead wolfie... I'm not sure though whether he will regain his physical strength or not.
And he was in the forrest, he met Derek at some point during the search for Cora and Boyd, but why catch them and not just let them kill some homeless guys, didn't he say something like that?
Anyways, I'm pretty sure Peter knows a lot more than he's been willing to share. Probably tip of the iceberg, 90 % still uncovered. I still don't believe it was just chance he bit Scott and not Stiles.
Flag
Except Peter is the most singularly self-serving character in the show, and I may include Gerard in that list. He's consistently used other people (including sacrificing his human nurse and killing his niece) to achieve his ambitions without putting himself in any real danger. The only time he showed any not completely selfish initiative was in the search for the Kanima, and even then he may have had ulterior motives. Though under the threat of immediate personal danger, he may have just stepped up.

Look, I'm not convinced Peter isn't up to something--he probably is, nefarious or not--but I'm also not sure that his self-centered pragmatism/cowardice isn't just that. Derek struggles to lead, though he's becoming considerably better at it, but Peter NEVER could.
Flag
One thing I really dislike about the character of Peter is that his resurrection, so far, hasn't come with some sort of price that matches the gravity of the situation. He's now just a snarky deadweight, when Derek (and now Cora) should rightfully send him right back to the graveyard for what he did to Laura.

I'm not a fan of rezzing dead characters overall, but sometimes it can be done well, like Stoneheart in GoT (if that name doesn't mean much to you, don't look it up if you want to avoid Game of Thrones spoilers).
Flag
I'm ambivalent about Peter's resurrection for some of the same reasons you mention. It certainly hasn't yet come with a price, I agree. However, by burying it in the frenzied plot action at the end of Season 2 and by having his role in that plot be relatively minor, it avoids feeling like a mere contrivance. So far, his contribution is primarily to the character dynamic, which I can appreciate far more than plot convenience. As of now, I'm hoping that as Lydia's abilities are explained, Peter will ultimately deal with those consequences.
Flag
Yes to the mere contrivance. It wasn't a minor part of S2, since an entire episode (Party Gassed) revolved around it, but yeah it was annoying as EF and there needs to be some fall out (other than the vet saying it came with a price).
Flag
Allison's supposed archery gifts after a mere few weeks training with her gramps is so ridiculously unbelievable. I find her character the WORST thing in this show. If it wasn't for Stiles and Derek, this show would be the lamest thing ever.
Flag
In episode 1:4 Magic Bullet Allison mentioned that she practices archery and even participated in competitions since she was a girl.
Flag
I'm not a big fan of hers the past year or so, but to be fair, she started the show pretty good with her bow. And with the flash arrows, she didn't actually hit anything but the ground.
Flag
That's right. If she could wound Elis or Kali or the twins with her arrows (since they were paying attention to Deucalion-Scott dialogue and Alison's attack caught them by surprise), why did she use just flash arrows? Aim to the heart, damn it! You had one job!!
Flag
That's true, but then you'd have to get mad at everyone else for not using real weapons, either. If it's life-or-death, and their little fingernails aren't doing the trick, they could bring something bigger. Derek had Skinny Vin Diesel down in the elevator, but he didn't finish him off. They're all "just playing around" equally until someone suddenly needs to die.
Flag
First off, you are correct, sir: THE DEMON WOLF should and forever shall be in all caps. He's earned that much. I'll hand to them this week, they finally got me to laugh at the stuff they really wanted to be funny. And no Lacrosse.

I enjoyed this episode a lot. Scott trying to make big decisions, Twunk lovin' in the air, Mrs. Argent visions, Coach Five-Hour Energy, Jared. Boyd with the doing of thing...s? Words? Grumbles? Ehh. It's only episode 5. He'll get thereorkilledfirst.

Yeah, so this show. If they really wanted to scare even a small-but-keyboard-vocal minority, they should've pretended to kill Boyd, if anything, because it would've been believable. IMHAHO, "I can't believe Derek's dead" is nowhere near as scary as "Seen Boyd today...?" I'd rather have Erica around if I could choose, but still.

Poor skinny Vin Diesel. I knew THE DEMON WOLF would end up killing either him or Click-Clack for the obvious reasons, but I really thought he'd kill her, and leave skinny Vin Diesel for Derek or Scott...once they figure out how to fight again. Since the Twunks haven't done anything evil on-screen (because, y'know, they each had their own separate pack that they separately killed), they might actually survive this season and get back to all that lovin'. Is it just me, or does the gay Twunk enjoy getting his ass kicked a little too much? I worry that Danny won't be able to fulfill his needs now without a really heavy love glove. Anyway, Lydia's will likely die sooner than Danny's, since Lydia's gotta be free for Stiles one day. Don't blame me; it's in the contract.

I really think Jared deserves MVP for the week, barely nudging out Stiles just because of the random factor. You gotta love the sudden guy that's still carsick in a bus that hasn't moved in half an hour (*and* does sports) just for refusing to be home-schooled. Good times with that guy. I never want him to speak; just let me remember him for the comic relief he brought to my television.

And what's going on with Alison, amirite? First Scott, then Isaac, and now Sc--kidding. She can do what she wants. Don't care. She might wanna tell the gang that wolves can use ranged weapons, too. When a hand of boxcutters isn't doing the trick, maybe automatic artillery...? Strobe lights from gag gift shops...? Ehh.

I still wouldn't mind seeing what's up with the other half of the endgame party. I really figured THE DEMON WOLF would've waited until they showed up before eating his pups for strength. 'An alpha in the hand' and all that...
More+
Flag
The gay Twunk spent too much time reading H/C fan fiction while getting in shape for this season. It's not the ASS KICKING he enjoys, it's the being cradled by Danny (twice in a row now) and this time he didn't even have Danny's deep V to stare down into.
Flag
Yeah, but it seems so unnecessary here. All he really needed to do was walk up and say, "Sup. I'm the gay one. You think we--" "Yes, plz."
Flag
"Seen Boyd today?" That would have been me, in that minority, because I loves my Boyd. What can I say? We silent, snarky kid like to stick together. You're right. That would have been so much more believable. I mean because of who he is. I love Boyd, but I know most are indifferent to his character. People love Isaac, and he's sort of cemented his place in the crew, that lovely British chap, but Boyd can go periods of time being missing or not saying anything and most are none the wiser. They give the kid little to work with. A shame, really. But yeah, that would have had an impact. I squirmed in my seat for most of the episode, waiting to see in what capacity Derek would show up undead. I mean not only is he kinda one of the leads but those Hales have a knack for rising from the dead.

Jared was funny.The thing I enjoy about this show is they make even what is meant to be a pretty insignificant character kinda awesome. It's so...highschool. To me, the mark of a solid show, is any show that can take even a guest star and make them unforgettable. Team Jared.
More +
Flag
Yeah, that Jared. All I need now is for somewhere down the line, some other inexplicable disaster happens, like a disco ball crashing down into the punch bowl at prom, and somehow, it's either Jared's fault, or Stiles's fault, and Stiles hands innocent Jared incriminating evidence just before escaping.

Coach: "What the--?? Who?? How?? ....Jaaaareeeed!!"

They've got a winner with that guy.
Flag
Flag
Nice recap, as always. To answer your questions:

1/ My first thought is that the 2 armies are the 2 packs. I guess we'd have seen more of the other "army" if it was the werewolves vs something else.
Another theory is: If I remember correctly, grandpa Argent didn't die at the end of season 2. So maybe he's the darach, and the fight will pitch wolves against hunters...

2/ Derek could not be dead. He's central to Deucalion's endgame. Kill him now, you kill the whole season's plot.

3/ I didn't like last season's Allison. Jury's still out for this season.

4/ A little bromance never hurts, but I prefer Sterek.

Oh, and by the way, Derek wasn't ask to kill Scott (yet). The choice was kill Boyd or we kill Cora.
Flag
I tried to read all the comments, but... perhaps I am repeating something.
1- Awesome recap. I laughetd a lot.
2.- Did someone guess about the Darach identity? I really think it is the Vet's sister.
I assume from previous chapters that the Vet is related to the Druids somehow. So his sister should also. And Lidya is having some kind of link with the Darach, appearing in the murder scenes and nightmares.... So, Lidya went to the Guidance sessions at schools, Lidya is linked not only to Peter, but to the Vet's sister also. That could be the reason she is working with the Alpha pack, she is the Darach. Of course there are many other questions still to be answered.
But that would explain the animals death at the shool year's beginning, she was out for summer :)
The war, would it not be about Druids vs Wolves. I really think Teen Wolf is a show about Werewolves and I expect not to involve other "species" as vampires or druids. My guess is it is a werewolve war between two powerful Alphas. And Scott is the candidate to be of those two.

3.- I agree with the one commenting Ennis was killed because he was beaten, and disobeyed. The Demon Wolf wants Derek to kill the other wolves, so the other alphas can not kill Isaac and company. Ennis "killed" Derek so that would be very annoying for the Demon Wolf.
More+
Flag
There's one thing I don't understand about this episode. Did Scott and Isaac drive the motorcycle right into the penthouse?
Flag
Penthouse had an elevator (as did the building). This place had dust and crap all over the place and, majorly, escalators.
Flag
The fight didn't take place in the penthouse. That was some kind of abandoned mall. That's why the two could drive in there :)
Flag
Er. Maybe I read the situation wrong when I watched the episode, which happens, but wasn't THE DEMON WOLF (I giggle every time I remember Deucalion yelling that) telling Derek to choose between Cora and Boyd? I never got the impression he was referring to Scott...

Anywho, on to your quesetions:
1. Does anyone else think it's not a coincidence that Derek's name sounds an awful lot like "Darach"? Hmm? Maybe he's making some sacrifices to gain enough power to go head-to-head with the Alpha-pack? Those could be the two "armies"/forces.

Honestly, though, it could definitely be Cora. Or Peter (trying to get dem Alpha powers back somehow). Or even Mr. Argent (did anyone else laugh when they saw the title of the book he was reading? I know I did.)

2. Not even for a second did it seem plausible that Derek was dead.

3. I liked Allison in S1, but kind of started to hate her in S2. She's starting to grow on me again. However, if she somehow ruins Scisaac (by creating some weird love-triangle), I will forever hate her. lol

4. Epic Barrrroooooomance.
Flag
Yes, he said Family (so Cora) and pack. Scott's not his pack, and the camera kept turning to Boyd.
Flag
I DON'T TRUST JENNIFER
Flag

Druids VS Wolves. Demon Duke will be gone by the time this happens. Maybe the twunks will stick around.

No I didn't & I'm glad! Derek kicks ass & if they' d killed him before we got our up & coming Jen/Derek action there would have been a riot.

I liked her seasons 1 & 2 (except briefly when influenced by her aunt & grandpa). But she was epic this ep, go her!

I adore Isaac & I'm glad he has Scott because he deserves a true friend. Love watching their bromance!

*Demon Duke wanted Derek to kill Boyd not Scott (at least to start off with).

Duke did not kill the big guy because he saw Scott's eyes glow red (the only one who doesn't know Scott is special is Scott). He killed him because he was a weak link in the alpha chain & oh yeah you shouldn't join a pack were the leader murdered his last pack for power! Duh!
Flag
This is one of the best/funniest reviews of a show that I've ever read! Thanks for the ROFLing!
Flag
awesome ep!
question: do the other alphas know Deaukalion killed Ennis? If yes, why the hell are they still on his team?
Flag
I was thinking about that too! Do you think that the "Lady werewolf" might join up with Scott/Derek if she finds out that Deucalion killed Ennis? She seemed very upset about the death. Just a thought...
Flag
Why join, she could just as easily rebel and take over the Twunks and kill off TDW.
Flag
They realized too late what kind of creek they're in & hey? Who was supposed to pack the paddle?!
Flag
Stiles... OMG.
Flag
Here's my theory, demon wolf is interested in Scott because he will soon turn alpha without having to kill an alpha. They have hinted at it a few times. Him saying he wants to know what Scott is made of, vet man telling him to lead and the way he has control over Isaac. All hints to him being alpha. He just has to realize his ability and he will change full time. The reason we saw a little bit of it in this episode was because he was the first one who stepped up to the plate after Alison had given them the upper hand, and he was protecting his pack. We are lead to believe the only way to become alpha is to kill one, but what if no one knows you can become one if you want it bad enough? What if demon wolf does know this? what if he also knows it makes you an even more powerful alpha? And what if he plans on bringing this out in Scott to then try and kill him and take that extra power? He's had plenty of chances to kill him already, why hasn't he done it yet? Because he wants/needs something more from Scott.
But like i said, just my theory!
More+
Flag
Interesting possibility, since TDW is pretty clearly all about his own needs. However, the show will never get to TDW killing Scott.
Flag
That is a super interesting and well thought out theory. And its actually very plausible, which is saying a lot in the unpredictable world of teen wolf. What do you make of the murders? I personally think Peter has something to do with it and is somehow doing these ritualistic murders to get his powers back after being brought back from the dead (since apparently after at least 3 months he still isn't fully recovered).
Flag
This could be a possiblity, there has always been something not quite right with Peter since his return. I've always thought he's been scheming to do something. At the same time though i think they could have something to do with vet dudes lady friend who is working with team alpha. Like she is trying to cause some kind of war between the two packs. Maybe they are working togehter for some reason. Her helping the alpha pack just seems a little off to me.
Flag
I really like the Peter is the Darach possibility! And yes Ms. Morell has something going on, because when Allison caught her at the old bank I don't think the alpha's knew she was there
Flag
The Alphas knew she was there. They needed her to activate (and complete) the mountain ash.
Flag
I forgot to mention two things I noticed:
- Deaton says to Duke that Ennis is out cold and Ennis's eyes are closed, but after the two kisses Ennis's eyes are open and he seems to be in some kind of trance, I assume, since he doesn't lift a finger while his skull is being pulverized. Scary skill that is

- It's only after Scott's eyes turn red that the wound he got from the twin-wolf really plays up as he tries to reach Derek in the end. That would explain why his reaction to the alpha pack wounds is so different from Isaac's and Boyd's. I think the guilt thing might not be all there is to it.
Flag
I thought about that too. At the beginning of the episode I assumed that somehow Scott was now the alpha of his little pack, especially since he thought Derek was dead and def thought that had something to do with his wound not healing. Interesting indeed.
Flag
This moment would've been so much more surprising and chilling if they had never done that whole Demon Wolf monologue.
Flag
Highlights of Crystal Reed's Interview with Ology.
So the alphas coming in…
No, they’re not all bad. Some start off bad and turn into being great, and some people start off great and turn into becoming bad! That’s why we love drama!

If there’s one new character we need to watch, who is it?
I would probably pick Derek’s sister, Cora. She brings a whole lot of questions for Derek, about his past, about his family, and about where she’s been.

The animals dying: where’s that going?
It’s mythological, it’s all mythological. And somebody has something to do with it! Somebody who we’ve met in Episode 1!
… is it one of the new characters?
I can’t say! You’re trying to get me!

- I think that the ones that start off great and turn into becoming bad could be the twunks. They only are there making pranks to the Scooby gang for now. Maybe something happens and possible one of them will become bad. The main villians of the Alpha Pack are: Duke, Ennis and Kali. Ennis is dead. The other option have to be Kali.

- We all knew it!!! Cora knows more about the fire, the Hale family, etc. I don't think she is playing with the Alpha Pack.

-Somebody we've met in Episode 1. The posible options are: The english teacher(Blake), the motorcycle girl, Deucalion (if i'm not forgetting one).I think Ms. Morrell possibly, but she didn't appear in the season premiere.
Maybe the ones who are speculating that Ms. Blake is the darach are in a some correct way!!hahaha.

More+
Flag
I wonder if we'll get any Kate flashbacks when Cora and Derek discuss their family tragedy.
Flag
My vote goes to the teacher!
Flag
I can't even explain in words how outstanding this recap is. Thank you for being so great at such a random thing. So glad to have you back. Love. Love. Love.
Flag
I laughed harder than I should have at all of the [pew pew pew pew pews] hahah but seriously that part was awesome.
Flag
... I think the Alpha Pack are the Lannisters to the Druids' White Walkers in terms of threat-shape.

... Scot: I can't believe Derek is dead. Me (bored inflection): No he's not.

... She's smarter this season, they're finding a good balance for her.

... While I do really enjoy Scisaac interactions, I am concerned about single-mother, Mrs. Argent's grocery bill. I know Scott has a job, but I really hope Isaac took up ditch digging again, to at least help out.
Flag
Hah. I'd really like to see more interaction in general between Isaac and Ms. McCall.
Flag
"All I could think about was how much I'd hate to live downstairs from that lady Alpha. So much toenails-on-hardwood floors click-clackin'!" LOL this is a very brilliant and very possible observation, her toenails are by far the worst thing about this season.

Knew Derek wouldn't be dead, this was evident by the fact that we only saw his 'dead' body from a distance and then not again after that.

Allison is back in my good books after this episode, she wasn't annoying at all which is a change, go her!
Flag
Good episode but the ending is so lame.
Flag
Yeah, that was a tiresome follow-up to the meet cute in the supply room (part 1), and part 2 (classroom). If Derek can get to the school room from nightfall to day light, why not go to the vet himself (first? during?).

Peter and Cora obviously thought he might have gone there. Derek knows the vet made a promise to his mother so he also knows it's a safe place to go and he also knows that the vet knows how to help. What can the school teacher do for him? Kiss it and make it all feel better?
Flag
I just thought of this when I was on my way to work (don't even ask why I thought of TW just now, I'm just weird).

When Scott's eyes turned red for a moment, it seemed that only Allison, Ennis and Deucalion noticed it. Could that be the reason Deucalion killed Ennis? It could be that he doesn't want any questions about this, or him mentioning it to the other alphas, which might mess up whatever plan he has.
Flag
I thought "Why Allison didn't told Scott that his eyes turned red? and answered to myself that possible that Allison didn't notice because she was far. But then in the final scene she stares at Scott eyes, indicating that she really saw Scott red eyes. Maybe she thinks that's a lot for Scott to handle right now.
Flag
Maybe she is not sure that she saw right, she was far away and it was only for a few seconds.
Flag
maybe she doesn't know what the red eyes stand for. Could be a werewolf secret.
You can trust me, I have a PhD in lycanthropy
Flag
She knows what the eyes stand for. Aside from being certain that she's noticed all the alpha pack and Derek have red eyes, she was there in the S1 finale when Derek killed Peter and got the red eyes after having blue ones all season. My question is, whats the significance of the blue vs yellow eyes in non-alphas?
Flag
The blue eyes remains a mystery. JD said that this is gonna be answered in episode 8 via flashbacks. For now, all of us are guessing.

Hey, we are forgetting something. In the clips promos for season 3 one of the promos (the promo of eyes colors) shown a new color: black. Maybe the black eyes are for the new creature that JD suggested that will appear in season 3. The promo is in youtube for those that didn't see it.

Flag
Jackson had blue eyes too, so it's not about being born a werewolf or changing after a bite. We'll just have to wait a little longer, they promised to explain the different eye colors this season :)...

Allison sure knows about the eyes. She might even have an idea why Scott's eyes briefly changed, she still has the bestiary. She probably hasn't had the chance to tell him about it.
Flag
I'm not sure but I think blue eyes mean that you are borne a werewolf and yellow that you are created.
Flag
I was about to say the same thing. Perhaps she doesn't know that the color of the eyes are significant.
Flag
Yeah, forgot that Allison is in Lycanthropy 101. hahaha!
Flag
A random thought just came to me. Demon Wolf - can't remember his name - stopped the twins from hurting Scott and Isaac and now he killed Ennis after he fought Scott. He seems rather interested in Scott even during the fight. He and Allison might have been the only two to notice Scott's eyes turned red.

Other than that. Loved the episode after having rewatched it. So many nice scenes.

Stiles was so funny on the busride. His conversation with the coach. And especially the scene with Jarod.

Also it'll be interesting to see what happens with Scott and him becoming an Alpha. It's been coming cradually since season 2.

And with Isaac beating up Ethan up because of what happened to Scott. He is definitely part of Scott's pack - probably along with Stiles, Allison and maybe Lydia.

Also loved the scenes with Deaton and the werewolves.

And no. I didn't believe Derek was dead.
Flag
Here's my theory, demon wolf is interested in Scott because he will soon turn alpha without having to kill an alpha. They have hinted at it a few times. Him saying he wants to know what Scott is made of, vet man telling him to lead and the way he has control over Isaac. All hints to him being alpha. He just has to realize his ability and he will change full time. The reason we saw a little bit of it in this episode was because he was the first one who stepped up to the plate after Alison had given them the upper hand, and he was protecting his pack. We are lead to believe the only way to become alpha is to kill one, but what if no one knows you can become one if you want it bad enough? What if demon wolf does know this? what if he also knows it makes you an even more powerful alpha? And what if he plans on bringing this out in Scott to then try and kill him and take that extra power? He's had plenty of chances to kill him already, why hasn't he done it yet? Because he wants/needs something more from Scott.

But like i said, just my theory!
More +
Flag
Can't help but think I was pretty accurate here! Don't usually like to blow my own trumpet, but i pretty much called it!
Flag
I like your theory. I'm not sure I buy that he became the Alpha by stepping up first though. My thought is that he took on the role because he was protecting not only Isaac at that time but also Allison and that this was what brought it out in him. But I could be wrong.
Flag
Very good point. This theory of the inner Alpha (like Price called it) is interesting. Scott possible becoming an Alpha without killing one or without a werewolf line(that we know for now). This will make Scott the most powerfull werefull. We have to wait and see.
Flag
Demon Wolf is very interested in Scott. In the elevator he said that he wanted to know what Scott was made of and I believe he orchestrated this whole thing, knowing how it would play out, just for that moment Scott gets the red alpha eyes. Like a test of some sorts
Flag
I agree.Could it be that he's jealous of the Derek/Scott relationship.If Deucalion wanted to kill Derek, he could have. I think, for some reason whatever, he wants to separate Scott from Derek as unworthy.
Flag
At one point, I thought Deucalion might be Scott's father; but it would make it too Star Wars.But you are right, he is protecting Scott for now, even when threatning him and the others overtly.
Flag
He's grooming him ;-)
Flag
Alphas in tuxedos, very funny.
Flag
Very. Peter, TDW, Scott and Derek can do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co6-tYS9k1U
Flag
not talking about that type of grooming
Flag
Forgot to mention that I'm starting to like Allison again after her season two idiocy.
Flag
Does anyone else thing Demon wolf killed giant guy because he tussled with Scott? Like Demon wolf doesn't want Scott becoming an alpha any sooner than prophesied or whatever?
Flag
hahahaha one of the best reviews I've read... I've lol'ed so much! :P
BUT I do think that the link to this episode from the previous one was missing somehow... I mean, the teacher died and now they're on a road trip? WHAT? anyway.... I just hope they make some sense later, but then again... it was WEIRD and I liked it overall (and NO... I knew Derek was alive there was no way he'd be killed...)
Flag
Teen Wolf Season 3 in preference order IMO:
1- Chaos Rising
2- Frayed
3- Fireflies
4- Unleashed
5- Tattoo
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members