A Teen Wolf Community
Monday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television

Teen Wolf S03E23: "Insatiable"

Despite 98 percent of society constantly telling single people that they are somehow incomplete without a partner, in my opinion it's often romantic love that seems more dehumanizing. Just anecdotally we've all seen independent, dynamic friends suddenly have their most interesting traits sanded away by the compromise of romance, but I would argue that TV characters get it the worst. They simply can't exist without being thrust into a romance (or the promise of one), and our need to see them partnered off trumps all their other hopes, dreams, or personality traits. I'm guilty of it too: When Malia first morphed from an angry coyote into Shelley Hennig, I immediately looked past her much more interesting family trauma and started speculating about who she'd be dating later. That's how TV has brainwashed us all, particularly teen supernatural dramas. These characters aren't individuals, they are merely fodder for 'shipping. Because if you're not involved in a romance then you may as well not even exist.

Allison Argent was, for a few reasons, one of the most important TV characters in teen soap history. Her origins, her arc, and her tragic death may as well be Teen Wolf's thesis statement. A woman who began as a dewy, know-nothing, romantic lead and who functioned primarily as a tool to cause growth in our hero suddenly became strong, independent, and fully realized on her own terms. She was Teen Wolf's statement about how we are all more than our romantic aspirations, how growth is an independent endeavor, and how love means much more than than intermittent hookups. We watched as Allison's romance with Scott met complications and obstacles, we understood when circumstances conspired to end what they had, and we respected both characters for being so mature about it all. Teen shows almost never take that course, so beholden are they to teenagers' bizarre insistence on forever-ness and the primacy of high school sweethearts. But Teen Wolf is an adventure show and an adventure is most thrilling when you go it alone. Allison went it alone, but she was still there for the people she loved. She entered as a love interest and went out as a hero. Allison Argent is important.

Obviously Allison had a thing with Isaac this season just as Scott has had a thing with Kira, but take note of how minimal and beside-the-point these romances have been compared to the Scott-Allison fling of Season 1. Very minimal! Teen Wolf has successfully de-prioritized romance in favor of bigger, more grand guignol intentions than mere puppy love and that has served to not only make the storytelling tighter and more compelling, but what remains of the romances somehow seems more meaningful. That brief scene between Allison and Isaac in the car, where she wanted to make sure she and Isaac's first time still counted? That was as understated (and weirdly powerful!) as a teen supernatural soap is legally allowed to be. Neither had to outright state what they were feeling, but WE could feel it in our bones. It makes sense that Allison in her post-breakup, still-mourning phase would not exactly be full of romantic gestures. But in this quiet moment we found out she still knows what's important to her, even when it's not most important. 

It could be argued that Allison hasn't had nearly enough screen time ever since she became more independent-minded, but that's probably true for everyone in this ever-expanding cast. But again, like I'm saying, decreased screen time has meant that Allison's appearances have been almost more powerful. We haven't needed to see her agonize over a decision; she'll just show up out of nowhere to shoot exploding arrows at a pack of Alphas like it's an after-dinner chore. We haven't needed to hear her give a speech about all the tragedy she's been through, we only needed 20 seconds in an elevator with Sheriff Stilinski where all that pain was right there on her face. Teen Wolf took a slightly boring female lead and made her more mysterious, yet somehow more knowable. Right up until her last moments, Allison Argent was a feeling human being, one who could be trusted, and better yet, one who could trust herself. CAN YOU TELL THAT I'M VERY SAD RIGHT NOW?

Allison is gone. Allison. There's a temptation to look at Teen Wolf's past few half-seasons and bargain with ourselves that she hadn't been as integral as she used to be. But she was integral. She's in the DNA, the very fabric of this show, she's integral to the character dynamics, she was the center of that group of friends, even more than Scott. In some ways she made Scott. And for a circle of people who have experienced tons of terror and nightmare imagery, shockingly few people on this show have died. Now somebody has, and it's somebody crucial to all their lives. Guys, everything will be different now. Everything. 

"Insatiable" was a doozy. But before it became super sad, it started out VERY disgusting! Just a bunch of wet hunks getting mouth-fisted by a veterinarian, typical teen soap stuff.

Hahaha perfect. Also, hey Wet Isaac. Anyway, Deaton got those evil flies out of their bodies and again, it was very disgusting. The most important thing was that Deaton immediately realized that the evil fly incident had been merely a distraction but it's like no doy, Deaton, the Nogitsune's main thing is trickery. Y'all tricked.

Meanwhile Mrs. McCall was trying to figure out if Stiles was the real Stiles or not, but it was obvious that she was still all steamed about what the Nogitsune had told her about how he knew what she did last summer or whatever. What are your secrets, Mrs. McCall? We still don't know because then Scott busted in and told them that the evil spirit inspector had arrived.

And she brought friends!

Stiles immediately passed the Oni's test and he got one of those cool tattoos behind his ear. Phew! But that meant that Evil Stiles was still out there and he was chasing Lydia through dark tunnels at the former internment camp and making a speech about how Regular Stiles was probably going to die.

Poor Lydia! That seemed like a very humid place for someone with her hairstyle to be hanging out.

Meanwhile Kira's mom wanted to teach her how to play Go, mostly because it was going to help her in battle or whatever. 

I don't know, guys, that game looks hard. I have a hard enough time playing Crazy Eights. Count me out.

Meanwhile Sheriff Stilinski was hanging out at the office looking bummed about how Stiles was missing, and the young deputy dude saw an opportunity.

Okay just kidding, he did not ask to be Sheriff Stilinski's new son, but he DID make a seemingly out-of-nowhere-but-probably-meaningful statement about how something had "drawn" him to Beacon Hills. I don't know if that means he is a monster, but probably? Is he a Berzerker? As one of you guys pointed out last week, Berzerkers have been casually mentioned two episodes in a row now, so in TV logic that means they are going to be showing up soon. It's about time Teen Wolf got into bears IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. Just kidding, I don't go to those bars as much, the music isn't as good, sorry bears.

Oh, but then look who showed up:

This part killed me. Sheriff Stilinski had found his son again. Also *I* found my old fisherman hat, what was it doing back there? Anyway, love these guys. I hope that sometime before I die I get to see Linden Ashby win an Emmy finally because IT'S TIME.

Meanwhile I guess Derek had spit out his evil fly and he was enjoying an awkward goodbye with Mr. Argent.

Aw. Gotta say, I love that in this universe you can become possessed by an evil fly and then talk so much trash and/or beat up your friends and everyone is pretty understanding about it. There were no real grudges held or even proper apologies made. Everybody just sort of spat out their evil flies and got on with their days. I was honestly relieved about this. I just don't know if I could handle an Argent-Derek grudge. These two fellas need each other, you know? I hope in Season 4 they can hang out at Dave & Buster's together or something.

Anyway, at some point Stiles was reminded of the fact that a girl on a payphone in a mental ward had once used the phrase "full story" so he became convinced she was the only way they could learn the "full story" about where Lydia was. So the next thing we knew Sheriff Stilinski was following that one dickbag orderly into the solitary confinement cells at Eichen House.

But she snuck out behind them! Clever girl. And I will always love a short perm.

Meanwhile the twins were running through the woods for whatever reason and somebody shot them!

I guess the bullets were laced with Wolfsbane, so whomsoever shot them meant BUSINESS. But in my opinion if you are going to shoot at supernatural monsters, you better not bring your B-game. BRING YOUR A-GAME. That's what this sniper was doing, so I get it.

Meanwhile Allison had a simple question:

Haha okay, so I really was into the Isaac and Allison chemistry back when it was a mere possibility, but this season really backburnered this relationship, didn't it? Were there any, like, big, grand romantic gestures between them AT ALL? Yes, they kissed and had a few meaningful interactions and even had sex (!) but their passion didn't really ever get hotter than microwave nachos, if we're being honest. But I still love this idea of two beautiful yet damaged people just sort of making a go at it despite everything else going wrong around them. And like I said earlier, this reveal that Allison wanted to make sure that the sex had been meaningful to him really took me by surprise. For the record, yes, Isaac had an evil fly in him, but they had sex BEFORE he'd turned evil and handcuffed her to the bed, I guess? Anyway, I have to vent for a second: When TV characters do not make out and then take off their shirt, it does not occur that they are having sex! It straight-up didn't register last week that they'd slept together, I cannot believe I missed that! That should have been a momentous occasion marked by the removal of one or more shirts! That's why I make the shirtless hug joke all the time, because that's how people on TV have sex. I really do not like this trend of people having sex off-camera without any indication of shirt removal. I'm so brain damaged that unless I see a shirt removal, it will not seem like they had sex. SORRY. Get it together, showrunners. Shirtless hugs or it didn't happen.

But anyway, for the record I am pretty sure that Allison took Isaac's virginity and I have no reason to believe otherwise. YET ANOTHER reason why Allison was a true hero.

Meanwhile Meredith the Eichen House escapee showed up in Coach's class and Danny narc'd on her.

I like this lady. So creepy! Then the dickbag orderly showed up to come and take her away, but in the process he bullied Coach a ton:

Later when everyone was scouring the campus looking for Meredith, she was in the music room listening to banshee whispers in the piano and the dickbag orderly tried to tase her.

But COACH got him first! It was a classic turned-table tasering! Personally I was almost convinced that he had also spent time in Eichen House (and was probably renting out a room there at the moment) and that's why he hated this orderly so much. You never forget your first dickbag orderly.

Meanwhile Lydia was not having a great time at the old internment camp. The main reason being that the Nogitsune is not a good conversationalist. 

Like he claimed that he eats what she feels? Or was it "fears"? I honestly cannot make out the dialogue sometimes, but that is probably a personal problem on my part and also I should probably not be munching on microwave nachos while i watch this show. The main thing was, the Nogitsune is an agent of chaos but he feeds on the negative emotions that his trickery causes. Fear and strife are like gas station candy to him. He will eat up fear and strife like it's a multi-pack of Airheads. Just trying to put this in terms you might understand, guys. Fear tastes like Green Apple and strife tastes like White Mystery.

I loved this scene and in retrospect it's almost too devastating to talk about. Allison was feeling useless because she didn't know how to find Lydia, so she was nervously cleaning her weapons. That's when her dad got out some silver slabs and taught her how to make silver bullets, which is an Argent family tradition. At that point she asked him to be careful out there and mentioned that she regretted not telling her mom that she loved her before she'd died. But even though Allison was just trying to get her dad to be careful, in retrospect she was giving him a final goodbye also. Man, so tough. But this scene wasn't overly sentimental, so it didn't necessarily telegraph that her end was coming soon. That's what was the best part about Allison's borderline unceremonious death: The lack of fanfare preceding it made it all the more shocking. I would have expected a four-episode struggle that climaxed with a memorable, utterly heroic sacrifice, but nope. It was simply a series of low-key interactions and then a careless slip-up in battle. So shocking and heartbreaking. But at least she did get to have this moment with her father, so that takes the sting off a little. A LITTLE.

It was very funny when the fellas brought Meredith to Scott's house and had to explain to Scott's dad who she was. 

But obviously THIS was the best:

Guess who's MUCH LESS INSANE than we previously thought? Honestly, Eichen House should only be full of people who wouldn't date Isaac, but in that event it would have to shut down because it would have zero people there.

Anyway, after a series of tactics to get her to spill all her secrets it became clear that (A) Meredith was definitely a banshee, but (B) she was kind of out of the loop on banshee affairs. Fortunately she received a fake phone call on Stiles' powered-off cell phone and gave them a big clue about where Lydia was. I don't know what the clue was, but it was in French. Come to think of it I seriously did not catch the connection between the French words and the Oak Creek internment camp, but Scott made the connection so that worked. Thanks, permed banshee!

Meanwhile we found out the true reason that Scott's dad had been kicked out of the house. It involved alcohol and inadvertent child endangerment!

Scott did not seem to mind that his father had drunkenly flung him down a flight of stairs and that his skull had dented the hardwood floor. After all, he was a clumsy child who broke everything with his face all the time. But he seemed VERY mad that his father had left and lost touch for so long. Fair enough! But also, the guy was still an alcoholic who inadvertently flung his infant son down a flight of stairs, so there was still SOME guilt to be had. Anyway, I do not think this was the thing that Evil Stiles had threatened Mrs. McCall about. He'd made it seem like there was something terrible SHE had done and this just didn't feel like it fit that description. Stay tuned for more secrets maybe?

Meanwhile Derek rescued the shot-up twins and dragged them into Malia's old cave. They were not doing great!

He got Argent to help him take them to his loft and he showed Argent a bullet casing left by the unseen shooter(s).

They immediately discounted that one Latin old lady, so when Argent said "this can't be possible" or whatever he may as well have just said "Berzerkers" right? I don't know, don't ask me, my prediction success rate is very low lately.

At this point Kira was alerted by her father to the fact that her mother was a stone-cold BADASS. Sure enough, Kira's mom and the Oni showed up at Oak Creek looking to murderize Evil Stiles. But what she either didn't know or didn't care about, was that Evil Stiles was linked with Good Stiles, and there was a good chance that killing one would kill the other. So obviously the kids couldn't let that happen!

I did get chills when they were all standing around in front of the gate getting psyched up. Isaac pretended it was NBD but it was a VBD and he knew it. I also loved that Kira didn't particularly know Lydia or Stiles very well, but she obviously felt responsible for the Nogitsune's existence and wanted to do all she could to help. She's a good lady.

But that's when the Nogitsune's plan was fully revealed! He'd lured them all there so that he could take control of the Oni!

And that's when he went from a sorta-weak trickster to a very formidable villain. All it took was Kira's mom's final "tail" or whatever. So yeah, needless to say, a big fight broke out.

Meanwhile Scott and Stiles ran inside to save Lydia and that's when she started freaking out.

She knew somebody was going to die this day. We didn't know who it was yet, but Lydia did and she seemed very upset.

At that point Isaac started getting stabbed with SO MANY swords and I was already crying because HE wasn't the major death, was he? NO NO NO NO NO. Not Isaac! And while he was getting stabbed all over, here was the look on Evil Stiles' face:

EAT UP, JERK! H8 U

This was great... Just before an Oni could strike the killing blow to Isaac, Allison let rip a perfect shot and MURDERED the tiny firefly inside the Oni! And the Oni exploded!

And there was this brief, glorious moment where both Allison and we learned how to kill an Oni for real. It had been a family secret, seeing as Mr. Argent killed one back in Japan, and Allison made special arrowheads to match his special bullets. So basically she was super clever and add to that her perfect aim and suddenly it looked like our heroes might regain the upper hand--

But then this happened. And it's the kind of moment when you want to stop trying to be funny in a recap because nothing seems funny anymore and I'm already crying just having to see these pictures again. Seriously.

Goodbye, Allison.

Tougher even than losing this character were the tiny moments mixed in. Like how she fell into Scott's arms. How he tried to take her pain away but she wasn't feeling any to begin with. How she mused that it was perfect to die in the arms of her first love. The look on Isaac's face when he heard that. The look on Kira's and her mom's faces, knowing they didn't know Allison very well but were clearly feeling responsible. The look on Argent's face when he suddenly stumbled onto the scene and saw his daughter's body. Lydia's anguished screams from just the FEELING of what had happened. Stiles collapsing in the hallway, his strength finally sapped by the Nogitsune. Scott's open faced sobs, the last of his teenage innocence disappearing along with his girl. But mostly the final, devastating work by Crystal Reed, a low-key stunner of an actress who will go onto great things I'm sure, I don't know, it's too hard to think about, I already miss Allison.

"Insatiable" started out as a merely very suspenseful lead-up to a season finale, but it suddenly shifted into a watershed moment for Teen Wolf. No matter what crazy new monsters this show dreams up, no matter how complicated the plotting, no matter how attractive or sympathetic the next new crop of towel-clad jailbait hunks will be, this is the moment when a dark gravity falls upon the show and may never become quite as light ever again. It's honestly too soon to know what impact Allison's death will have on the characters or series as a whole; there's definitely a chance her death could be mere setup for a "The Search For Allison" type plotline in later seasons (though Crystal Reed's borderline distraught exit interview during Wolf Watch suggested that she doesn't expect to be returning). But this death hurt in a way I wasn't expecting. Like, really hurt. That's probably the point. Teen Wolf needs real death for there to be real stakes. But there is now an Allison-shaped hole in Teen Wolf's heart and I truly hope that won't become a fatal defect.

"Insatiable" was sensational. In both good and bad ways, but at some point, what's the difference? Yay but ouch but yay.

QUESTIONS

... How are you doing?

... Ignoring official interviews for a second: Just narratively speaking do you think Allison is gone for good?

... How dark do you think Season 4 will get?

... Who was shooting at the twins? Does it rhyme with "Merberklerz"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/8/2016

Season 5 : Episode 20

835 Comments
Comments (854)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Wow, this was an amazing recap. Seriously, I really liked it. Respect.

I was so sad to see Allison go...I loved her relationship with Scott, and appreciated her tenacity, and strength, and personality. She was an actual strong, independent female character, but she was also kind, caring, and loyal, which is something that is often missing in TV today. (A lot of female characters don't have that blend between warm-heartedness and toughness, I think, but she was an exception.) Anyway, she will be missed. I'm curious to see how they will handle her absence in the following episodes/season...

I also feel compelled to say that I loved the bit when Meredith came back to Scott's house with everyone, and Stiles said she was his girlfriend. That had me laughing so much I had to skip back on my DVR because I missed the dialogue that followed. :) (For the record, I LOVE my Stiles, but I wouldn't want to be with him until after it's proven that he's 100% back to normal.)
Flag
I'm actually having trouble imagening Teen Wolf without Allison. She's been such an integral part to this world they are living in. Forget the whole "Scott's first love" stuff. I don't give a sh*t about this.
But she's been Lydia's best friend right from the beginning and apart from being really cute - and therefor nice to look at for the female-interested audience like myself - Crystal Reed's character IMO became the heart of the pack: Scott's always been there motivation and conscience. He's their leader and he makes sure that nobody is left behind. But Allison hasn't been in BH all that long. After her Mum died she could've left. But despite having no supernatural powers whatsoever she decided to stay and help out her friends. That sense of dedication towards her friends and the feeling of duty to protect the world (or at least BH) was a character trait rarely seen in people her age.

Kira might be a "romantic replacement" for Allison but she'll have a hard time becoming equally as integral to the pack.
Flag
For some reason this always happens to me, I have never really liked Allison's character and when I heard that they were killing off a main character she was the only one I was willing to give up. BUT... this season she has gotten so much better, I don't know if that is because she hasn't seemed as central / hasn't been the focus anymore, or if she has actually just become a better character. I always loved her as a solo badass but I found the first 2 seasons they made her a crazy badass now they finally found a perfect middle ground and they killed her. I was a little disappointed, but I think I will get over it relatively quickly, because as much as I've come to like her character she was the only one I don't LOVE. I do feel so bad for Chris though, his whole family is gone, now him and Derek have one more thing to bond over. Part of me hopes they can find a way to bring her back eventually in some capacity, even for a brief moment. But the other half of me appreciates that Teen Wolf actually kills people for good, unlike some shows, cough TVD cough. Overall it was really sad and like Stiles said in season two death is what happens to the people around you, and it is true, the characters left are gonna be super impacted by this in ways I can't imagine but am devastated and interested to see.

On to less depressing things ....
SO.... I still love the new deputy and think he will be sticking around and getting a bigger role on a count of me thinking he is supernatural, even though he may not know it. Like Price I caught that "drawn here" comment so I'm excited to see where they take it.

Other than that this episode really just trampled on my heart. My brain is kinda a blur and other than those two things I can't think of anything else that really made an impression on me this episode.
More+
Flag
R.I.P Allison, I learned to appreciate you!
Indeed it's sad but it feels weird for me the "I love you and I'm happy to die in your arms". We watched her with Isaac, they had sex, they was together and she put all that aside. That was harsh for him..
I would have thought that Scott fueled with rage would have screamed out loud in wolf's mod with big red eyes but no nothing at all just a lot of sadness.
That was a hell of an episode but a bit ruined by Scott's dad" "BIG" secret. He was alcoholic oh yeah big deal and that why he was out of Scott's live... Ok he rocked Scott down the stairs not very cool. But compared to Alison's death the secret is useless...
Now it's time for the season's final see you in 1 hour.
Flag
I am week late to catch up with episode. But WTF? This is seriously not happening. R.I.P Allison. You will be missed. Now of to see the finale.
Flag
A week later I still can't believe she's gone
Flag
Has anyone seen the tvline interview with Dylan O'Brien. Some interesting things.

1--He found out Stiles was going even when he emailed Jeff Davis to tell him he thought it would be cool if Scott went evil.

2--Stiles in not gay.

3--Malia will be part of the pack in season 4.

4--Season finale is alot of Lydia and Stiles. Stiles is willing to sacrifice himself to stop the nogitsune which they don't know how to kill.

5--Crystal Reed told the cast mid season through a long email that she wasn't returning.

6--He thinks people are taking the Tyler Posey comments on Sterek to serious.

Very interesting. Raises the question, whether good Stiles will ever be the same again.
Flag
I thought there for awhile we might get to 1000 comments on this episode.

A few ideas/points from the previews.

1--Who is going to cry when Isaac hugs Argent?
2--Anyone else want to keep both Stiles?
3--I don't think there is any denying that Stiles is going to stab himself. I wonder if it is Evil Stiles though.
4--Looks like the twins are going out in battle.
Flag
God! This show! It rips your heart out and does a jig on it until it's a stick paste on the floor and you're left standing there with this oozing hole in your chest where your heart used to be and you're thinking "what the hell just happened!" That's how I felt watching Allison die. I was crying and denying and in such utter shock. I'm still not believing. In complete denial. I can't see a happy ending for this season. No fluffy bunnies this time. I just pray they don't take away my Stiles from me too. I don't think I could survive losing Stiles too!
Flag
Sad that it was Allison. KNEW IT. Still sad.

Loving the captions this week, my fave: "you bounced down these stairs like a pokemon". We shouldn't joke but you did and it was good. Close second: "Maybe I should finger them again to be safe". Oh Price &3
Flag
I'm still thinking about something the Nogitsune said: "Trickers's stories are all about food, Lydia... the coyote, the raven, the fox...they're all hungy."

Ok, so we have the coyote (Malia) and the fox (Kira) and I can perfectly see that Malia is/will be hungry for some evil business on season 4, though I can't see Kira being hungry for anything but sushi or pizza (nothing evil, anyway). But what abou the raven? Did he mention it as a random mythological criature or are we supposed to think that a raven is still to come to BH? Personally, I think we've already met him: deputy Parrish. As he said himself: I kind of felt drown here... just like Deaton said it'd hapen, what a coincidence, right? xD
Flag
They never did explain those voicemails that were on Allison's phone, did they?? And will Isaac finally make the opening credits in season 4?
Flag
Still feeling bad about Allison's death... :(
Flag
I feel emotionally unstable. Christian Taylor did say they have a slogan:"nobody really dies on Teen Wolf" so I still have hope. I think S4 is going to get even MORE bloody and Scary so... Yeah. And no, it doesn't rhyme with "Merberklerz" but I do think it rhymes with "ate"...
Flag
OMFG I honestly did not go into this episode thinking I was going to cry at the end. but the way everything happened, the acting, the music, ,the situation. So sad. the feels got to me for sure. I still haven't fully processed Allisons death so I'm going to leave it alone. But Dylan o'brien is seriously amazing this season. (every season) but his acting skills are so raw and effortless its amazing to watch. Love this show
Flag
Great episode, this is fun, gurl look you shootin those arro- WHAT THE HELL!? WHAT THE HELL!? WHAT THE EF IS GOING ON HERE???

NOT COOL TEEN WOLF, HOW DARE YOU MAKE ME FEEL FEELINGS FOR A BADASS LADY AND THEN JUST KILL HER LIKE THAT?! You could have taken anyone else, not sweet, badass Allison! It wasn't her tiiiime!!! If you will excuse me I have to write a letter to my congressman. NOT COOL.
Flag
You probably know that she actually wanted to leave the show. Still, tough loss for everyone. I find myself thinking of examples where this strategy, leaving a show that's in its prime, has actually worked out for the actors and actresses involved. I guess I can only think of the cases where it was a bad move career wise. For one, it tends to upset fans and those fans will follow the performers career forever. Unless of course they end up back in another similar or better production. That doesn't seem to happen much. Well, good luck Crystal Reed, hope it works out in the final reckoning. I think you should have stayed, but only cause I think you were great as Allison.
Flag
I did not know because I hate knowing behind-the-scenes stuff about shows I enjoy. It ruins the illusion, ya know? I'd like to live in a world where all this crazy shit is totally going down in northern California. I'm happy for the actress and hope to see her in more stuff, but I'm still slightly outraged by her death. Jackson just went off to live in London, jeez.
Flag
Maybe the bullet casing is Gerard's?
Flag
my thought exactly!
Flag
There was a recent tv dot com article saying who should be killed off in a number of shows and I said re Teen Wolf that as long as the principal 4, Scott, Stiles, Allison and Lydia where OK then I didn't mind. Well this episode was a slap in the face. I never expected that and cried more than I thought I would. Great episode! but I do miss when Teen Wolf was full of jovial banter and pop culture references.... (I am also aware that it had to grow up and evolve.)
Flag
The show's producer Jeff Davis said he envisioned Allison's character would be on the show until the end of the series, but unfortunately she chose to leave... I was sad to see her go - I'm so attached to the entire cast - but if I'm completely honest, the two characters that are deal-breakers for me are Dylan O'Brien and Tyler Hoechlin. I either of them ever leave the show, that would likely be the end of Teen Wolf for me.
Flag
100% agree. The end of season 3A had me in a panic and I just finished the last three episodes of this season and I'm a little worried about Derek's state at the end. Though I don't think they would be foolish to kill him, at least not so soon after the loss of Allison.
Flag
As long as the writing is good I shall continue watching...:)
Flag

Thought this was pretty weird
Flag
I'm still reeling from Allison's death....I don't think they'd dare kill off Derek. They'd better not!! But I don't care about the twins. In fact, PLEASE kill those ugly twins :P
Flag
So that's why they were in those possitions in the board. They're (apparently) gonna be that last showdown of the season.

I'm not gonna lie, I don't think they will kill Derek. I mean, common, two main characters in a row?Unlikely, unless they want to completely transform the serie.
The twins, in the other hand, are expendable, from the stroy-telling point of view. Although, Ethan might be saved to be the one who somehow introduces Danny to the supernatural...
Flag
JD and his clues.!! Excellent.
Flag
Oh yeah.. Got this off tumblr
Flag
Peeps gonna be dying
Flag
First off, LOVE all of your recaps!

Second, this episode was so heartbreaking and unbelievable. It's been said that next week's episode is supposed to be bigger and better, but I can't see how that's possible. What could be bigger than Allison's death?

And, third, I want to point out the French words & the connection to Oak Creek. So, Meredith said "Coup de foudre" which is French for "Love at First Sight". I think this made Scott think of Mama Yukimura's whole story with her and Rhys and how they met and fell in love there. So, that was the connection Scott made between the words and the location!

Awesome recap:)
Flag
I read that the finale was supposed to be even more shocking and crazy and I thought "How the hell can it be worse than Allison's death?"
Flag
Thanks for the insight regarding the French phrase and how Scott made the connection. I'd been wondering about that!
Flag
Way too much to read for an episode recap, but because of the circumstances...excused.

Now, I was no Allison lover, but I liked her more than others and definitely did not hate her. This was a sad episode and I still have not decided if I will continue watching now. I think that was the wrong person to go. I didn't even watch wolf watch...just upset. I feel a newer character would've been a better way to go. It really did feel like, oh Allison is strong and independent now and we can't go back from that...so how do we get rid of her. Allison will be missed. Also, she was not dating the popular guy, Scott was not popular, this was the first time he even got play time/made the team and that was because he was a wolf. If I remember correctly, they were more your average HS kid, Jackson would have been what the popular kids would have been. So Allison kinda became more popular in my head because she became friends with Lydia (who was with Jackson) and made Scott alongside his wolf Lacrosse skills.
Also, what the heck was going on in the woods and how was the time frame linked? It was day there and night in the other scenes at times, so I was trying to figure out was was going on there.
Scott and Stiles don't listen, the chic from Eikcen house basically told them not to go, so it was completely understandable when Lydia was confused as to why they came, did you not get my banshee communication call, lol, gosch guys.
You mentioned the admiration you had for the Allison/Isaac thing. Not I. I mean, you are living in Scott's home, you don't hook up with his ex...as well as he is your off beat-pack leader. That's like double dippin or something. Don't get me wrong, Isaac has had his fair share of harsh times so people want him to get some positives, so I can see why that route; but like mentioned above, everyone doesn't have to have a love interest/be in a relationship.
More+
Flag
Crystal Reed, who plays Allison, got killed off the show because she wanted to leave the show. I'm sad about it as well. And I've never liked Allison and Isaac together either.
Flag
Thanks.
I figured it had something to do with her wanting to leave or them wanting her to leave. I planned on looking it up later. It just didn't feel right with the flow, I was sure before that episode someone was going to die, but not her. Then all the clues proved it would be her and I got progressively worse with my liking of the episode.
Flag
I was so sure it wouldn't be her, either. But once she had the talk with her father, I just knew it would be her and I immediately began dreading it.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag

From this weeks Entertainment Weekly. Credit to @lize1982

Flag

Flag
Please kill those twins!!!
Flag
Get them tissues and comfort plush ready people.
Flag
Shit... 😭
Flag
I will need to prepare all weekend to be ready for another death in TW so soon
Flag
I think that the possible options are:

- one of the twins will die (or maybe both or they left town)
- Isaac
- The EvilStiles (for sure has to die)

Other possibilities in the scenario:
*And maybe Derek or someone will get kidnaped.
*Maybe Scott gives Stiles the bite when Stiles tries to kill himself to destroy the Nogitsune.

Flag
Absolutely Evil Stiles has to die! Maybe Ian is trolling everyone and that's the death.... but who knows.

- One of the twins: definitely possible
- Isaac: I can imagine him just going all out in the 'final battle' because Allison died and he has no one to love anymore, etc

Flag
I still can't believe they took Allison from us! I thought they would take Kira or one (or both) of the twins, and though I would have been sad, I have to be honest, I wish they had. There are so few girls left on this show, and Allison was such a badass.... Its just such a great loss to the show. But reading your reviews was good therapy Price, as always :) Just one thing I had to correct: Banshee Meredith does not have a perm! She's just rocking an awesome reddish mixed-race afro. I love it when actresses of colour rock their natural hair! Maybe she can stick around and comfort Isaac in his time of need? Nope, its still too early to be talking about moving on. R.I.P. Allison Argent.
Flag
Thinking about the comments on the show last week about Scott's mum's secret, his Dad's confession this week didn't add up...... unless his dad is covering for the fact that it was his mum who knocked Scott down the stairs and he turns out to be the good guy and is taking the fall for it? (no pun intended!)
Flag
I don't know my thinking is that the big deal is more that she had an emotional affair with Sheriff Stilinski because she was frustrated with her alcoholic husband and he was the only person she could rely on and they were already friends because Stiles and Scott were so close, plus Stilinski is a cop so it would make sense that she made him aware of the situation. My guess is after the fight that Scott got pushed down the stairs Melissa as she says ordered him to leave and probably called Stilinski to tell him what happened and maybe or maybe not Stilinski had words with Scott's dad. If Stiles had heard anything he may have misinterpreted the concern and conversation Stilinski and Melissa were having about Scott's dad leaving as a romantic thing, when it wasn't. But based on Melissa's reaction I'm gonna say she might just feel guilty because she had feelings for Stilinski and yelled at Scott's dad to leave and he did, even if she didn't mean for him to leave his life completely she might blame herself. I just can't see her having an affair or being bad in anyway. It must be unnecessary guilt, something that happened she blames her self for but isn't necessarily her fault.
More +
Flag
That is a possibility! His dad's "confession" doesn't explain anything about why Scott would be upset with his mom. Good theory :)
Flag
Also, that bullet argent had looked very similar to the one's in Kate's bag that Scott was going through... just saying
Flag
I'm betting on a Kate Argent return since there's so many things adding up
Flag
It would also give Chris a reason to stay.
Flag
Interesting that Crystal Reed was the one who chose to add the I love you line, even though at least one producer was against it. Here's an interview snippet,
“I kept saying, ‘I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you,’” Reed recalls of filming her final scene. “And I remember one of the producers came over and said, ‘Please don’t say that because she loves Isaac.’ [But] I do feel like Allison still loves Scott. And I think in that moment, she said she loves him because that’s still there.”
I'm glad she got that in there, as I never really went with the Isaac angle.
What do you lot think?
And regardless of interviews, I can't really see how they'd resurrect Allison considering she's a mere mortal an all. I like the show but exactly how many more years do they realistically think they've got?

Flag
I feel as though she will always have love towards Scott and vice versa because all though they broke up they broke up on good terms and not because they didn't like each other. I don't think she every really loved loved Isaac, I think she liked him and cared for him, and it may have grown in to legitimate love, but I don't think it was there yet because they hadn't had time to develop it. Her telling Scott she loved him and always would wasn't really meant as a slight to Isaac in my mind but as Allison being comforted in death by someone she had a more profound connection with, someone who character had kind grown along side her, they both changed but they still understood each other and trusted each other more than anyone. I thought it was a perfectly sweet way to end things for her, it wasn't overly mushy or dragged out it was a simple accepting goodbye. Still really sad though.
Flag
Yeah, she said she was 'glad' in the ep' and by her reaction in interviews she concurred with this. A fitting end.
Flag
I'd say the show could probably go strong for 8 seasons maybe more.. Jeff davis pretty much wrote and sold the script of criminal minds to cbs, there on 9 seasons and I think the show isn't even his best work
Flag
8 season! Wow, I think that's a bit wishful. They'd be school & Uni & working by then.
Flag
Is that really that bad. 48 episodes havent even spanned an entire school year yet.
Flag
Don't get me wrong, I like the show quite a bit. To keep it fresh for another 5yrs would be something of a challenge and there's few that make it near that without getting beyond their sell-by date. It depends on how they age in reality and whether of course they want to stay on. Reed is 29, although youthful looking, and wanted other more adult roles. I stuck with Buffy, Angel and more recently Supernatural but all have felt to lose that wow factor toward the latter years. Though funnily enough it's been the 'darker' arcs that are the best to me and not the tricksy action/jokey ones. I guess if Teen Wolf matures along the way (ironic to say, I know) I'll be happy. It's not like I'm counting the days for it to expire any time soon.
Flag
Time is condensed on the show. Even after three seasons, not much time has actually passed by for Scott and co
Flag
Yes, but it doesn't for the actors:)
Flag
Oh, this is interesting. I'm sure after a while, actors really associate with their characters, and start to assume what they are feeling/etc as they technically 'know' them so well.

With just the dialogue/facial emotions/plot we were given, I also agree she still loved Scott. When she fell apart in the elevator with Sheriff Stalinski she said, "I messed it up with Scott,' or something along those lines. She had a bit of a facial attack when she saw Scott and Kira holding hands at the party, but she held it in and smiled to cover it up, and assure him it was okay.

Deep down, I think she still loved/wanted him, but she had made her decision in a state of mind where she thought it was right, and continued with her choice even when deep down, she might have regretted it, like a mature adult. And at first they were a bit tense, but they both acted like adults, and when Scott started to move on, she didn't interfere; she loved him as a friend too, so she wanted to see him happy. 'If you love something let it go free'.
Flag
Yeah, well she is 29 in real life and perhaps some of that was the 'artistic ideas' she had but the producers wanted different for her. Cutting her down as Isaac's g/f definitely side lined her too.
Flag
I really liked the episode. I had a feeling that Allison would be the one who would die especially after her talk with her father. But it was still really hard to watch the scene especially the way it just happened. But she died as a hero having saved them. And now they know how to fight the Onis. The worst part was seeing mr. Argent's face when he saw her. I really hope he wont leave as I love him and don't want to see him leave the show.

I loved the coach in this episode. He was soo cool when he tazed the idiot from the asylum. And he trusted Scott, Stiles and Kira enough to let them take her out of there.

I also loved the akward moment with Scott's dad and Stiles lying about the girl. That was so funny.

So very good episode with a sad sad sad sad ending. I can't wait to see them save Stiles and kill the nogitsuni
Flag
So. Many. Feels. I'm gonna miss Allison. It's rare to see such a well written female character. I mean, there were still flaws, but she's still up there with solid female characters.
Flag

Spoilers i guess.
I just found out that the finale concludes with a major cliffhanger and i'm kind of losing my mind and pulling my hair out. I can hardly handle the wait for the episode each week.

In the trailer we see Deaton getting stabbed by the Oni, Mellisa is hurt, Stiles tries to kill himself, i can't handle it. The only hopeful think is the title of the episode.

Divine move

A divine move is a truly inspired and original move; one that is non-obvious and which balances strategy and tactics to turn a losing game into a winning game. A divine move is singular — they are of such rarity that a full-time go player might be lucky to play a single such move in their lifetime.
Flag
I didn't spot how much Isaac and the new Banshee (Meredith?) looked alike until you posted their pictures side by side. :-)
Flag
Wow didn't expect anyone to die this episode! It was cool Allison took one of the Oni out. Parish could be a big bad for next season. The Coach's scenes are hilarious as usual and Peter always misses out on the action
Flag
I think it was Kate shooting at the twins! Daddy Argent knew whose bullets belonged to. In the story, it would be great to have Allison brought back with some magic bathtub-voodoo thingie they always do :3
Flag
or is it old grand papa argent

Flag
I think her ending speech just shatted all over Issac's feelings. Espacially since he just gave her his virginity. I thought it was fucked up and it irritated the daylights out of me.
Flag
Do we really know for sure he was a virgin?! I mean, come on. He could have slept with Erica, when they were first turned, they had a bit of a flirty thing going on, and they were super grinding on each other at the rave, when they were trying to get Jackson. They were both a lot more obnoxious and out of their shell, not to mention exuding confidence and sex appeal (more so Erica), after they were turned. I feel like it's plausible; they had nothing else to do in Derek's train car of pain after training, they probably just went, 'you wanna go?' I actually half-way assumed they were together, until Erica and Boyd all of a sudden were all Romeo and Juliet and about to run away together the second to last episode.

I guess the only 'evidence' is the fact that Isaac was super awkward around Allison. . .but to be honest he wasn't at first, with their whole, 'let's take off our shirts and get caught by your dad' scene. . .it wasn't until he really started to fall for her that he had a foot stuck in his mouth. . .that's normal of most crushes?
More +
Flag
Anyone notice in the preview that Isaac and Argent have a hug. I'm not sure what she says is meant to abuse Isaac or something. I think Isaac is pretty sure that there was always going to be some love between the 2.
Flag
Anyone have any thoughts on why Scott didn't at least offer the bite?
Flag
Offer it when? In the one or two minutes she was still alive in his arms? He's not a vampire. Its not an instantanious cure-all. They have said over and over that the bite is as likely to kill you as turn you and the weaker you are the greater chance of dying. And you don't make the full transition until your first full moon. Remember mama argent and the argent uncle who offed himself in Hotel California? They were infected, but because they hadn't seen their first full moon they were able to inflict mortal wounds. Allison was dead within minutes of being impaled.
Do we really want to bame Scott for not offering the empty gesture of biting a girl who very likely would not have wanted it to begin with?
Flag
Which brings up the question. If Stiles is near death from stabbing himself, will Scott's bite work?
Flag
Right. Remember Peter saying that he didn't look strong enough to survive a slap in the face, much less a wolf bite?
i don't think they're going to haveScott bite him. I hope not at any rate. We need a plain old human character to grund the show.
Flag
Agree. Plus I think they have set it up that at some point Stiles is going to get what his mom had for real. And the choice will have to be made.
Flag
I'm not so sure how well the bite will work when someone is that close to death. I think people are going to have to ask.
Flag
Neat...Human girl dies - monsters live...Actually better than neat.
Flag
I said this on your recap of last weeks but what if McCall's secret is somehow relevant to Derek and his relationship to Scott? A cougar type affair or something and she confided in the Sheriff as a best friend or something (wasn't there something saying they were old friends?).

When I heard the "can't be" thing I thought an old Argent lady/figure might come back. Like, what ever happened to Gerard? Pretty sure he isn't dead.
Flag
My guess/hope is that it is Mrs. Argent and that she is the female werewolf they are looking for. A werewolf werewolf hunter.
Flag
I think it would be awesome if we were introduced to grandma argent.

I don't understand how looking at the shotgun shell made Argent realize Allison was in trouble.
Flag
No him looking at the shotgun shell made him realize someone was back/around (presumably an Argent) thus telling her to wait, methinks.
Flag
I can honestly say I didn't expect it to be Allison when I heard someone was getting killed off. I figured one of the two dad's or Isaac, but I was actually pleasantly surprised it was Allison because she's my least favorite character on the show. I for one have not forgiven her for her traitorous bent in season 2. Nor did I ever buy her suddenly kiss-ass-ness after one summer of training. It was beyond ridiculous. I love her dimples and her scenes with Isaac this season a lot. I have been very glad they moved her away from Scott because she is my least favorite character. I feel bad for the actress because it was her first job and she did a good job. But she is beyond arrogant and her presumptuous thinking that she is stronger and infallible than she was led to her death. Once again, her failure to listen to her dad or anyone else caused harm. This time to herself.

Now if they killed off Stiles I or Derek I would literally quit watching the show. This death didn't even make me sad. Sorry. I feel bad for Lydia, though. Now she has no close girlfriend.
More+
Flag
Your like my mental twin!!!! All the things I was to lazy to type you just said.
Flag
I just remembered the scene when Stiles wakes up on the couch in a total panic, that could be from what was happening but it could also mean that he still has nightmares which would make sense since the nightmares wasn't a result of the nogitsune but of the sacrifice. I hope he's okay, i can't stand to see him suffer any more even though i can't imagine how badly Allison's death it's gonna affect him. Ah, the guild he must feel.
He already said he didn't want anyone else to die because of him and guess what happens 5 minutes after that....
Flag
I liked Allison but she took a big back seat this season, almost to the point of not being relevant anymore. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but it made her leaving not so painful.
Flag
I kind of figured Allison would be the one to get killed off, she never signed on for season 4 and they said somebody would die and not come back.. I like the actress, but I don't really care about her dying on the show because she only really served a purpose in season 1 and after that she was just around with nothing to do, even her dad had more to do.. but I'm sad she died mainly because of how it will effect Lydia, who, along with Stiles, are the best part of this show...
Flag
Why were the demon ninjas so week? I liked everything else about this episode but the Oni's being weak made no sense to me.
Flag
Yeah, they were strong the first half of the season, and somewhere around the midpoint, they got weak. Even after Kira's mom made more of them and said that the new ones would be stronger, they still seemed pretty weak compared to early in the season.
Flag
That's the only things that upset me... When the ONI were introduced in "illuminated" they seamed super strong! But my guess is once you past the supernatural test.. They're not as strong against you
Flag
What is in the future for the argents. Is the family bigger than what we have seen. Its hard to believe that a family that old, basically built into folklore, would come to an end with the death of kate and allison.
Flag
as long as the dad's alive, it doesn't necessarily mean it's come to and end.. he's the one with the Argent name afterall.
Flag
How do I feel you ask, well let me show you 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 Me and Allison had a love hate relationship though I only disliked her when she was trying to murder Derek... I miss her so much, it's sad killing off your main character I am upset.... It's gonna be GERARD
Flag
I have to ask because now I think it will never come up on the show: Is Alison adopted? Or was one of her parents cheating? It's probably just a casting error but it has bugged me. She has brown eyes and her parents each have blue eyes; this is biologically impossible. One or both of them is not her genetic parent.
Flag
It probably was just the way they cast the family... TV shows don't typically care about making some characters look like their supposed relatives.
Flag
. . .it's not biologically impossible. She could look like a grandparent. Quickly looking at pictures of Gerard, he looks like he has brown eyes, and has fairly dark eye brows, meaning he most likely had brown hair, as well.

But, I get what you're saying. . .it did bug me a bit too; her whole colouring (skin/hair/eyes) doesn't really match either parent. Obviously, that's casting, they can't always make it work (like Scott's Dad, for example, who in my opinion is a dead ringer, and you can see exactly how he and Mrs. McCall's looks made Scott. Which is also why I think the, 'one parent is not his actual parent' theories are stupid). But, I digress. Sometimes, we have to let it go a bit and accept the illusion of film, for the sake of the whole show. :)
Flag
The gene for blue eyes (b) is recessive and the gene for brown eyes (B) is dominant. For someone to have blue eyes they must have two copies of the blue gene and none for the brown gene. Grandpa is likely heterozygous Bb, his wife would be Bb or homozygous bb. The Argents have blue eyes (bb) and Allison has brown eyes (Bb or BB); neither of her parents could have contributed the brown eyed gene.

I definitely agree that Scott is a dead ringer for both of his parents. I watch the show and think "He looks just like his dad" but then in the next scene "He looks just like his mom." Honestly if it weren't for the amazingly similar actors cast for relatives outside of Allison I wouldn't care so much.

It says a lot when the thing that bugs me the most about this show is a minor genetic anomaly; everything else is perfect.
Flag
Thanks for the science lesson, lol.

But yeah, I agree. . . too too much to complain about this show. We're lucky. :P
Flag
I didn't expect that. At all.

In the Argent family scene, I thought maybe papa Argent would die, in the car scene that it would be Isaac, but I never guessed Allison and I'm usually pretty good at guessing.

The death scene was very nice, but I pet pieve of mine: PEOPLE DON'T NECESSARILY CLOSE THEIR EYES WHEN THEY DIE.

It's sad to see Crystal Reed go, I liked her character and I like her as an actress. Also, she is both beautiful and believable at the same time, which is uncommon.

P.S. "Yay but ouch but yay." I'm so stealing that.
Flag
Cool article! I find it interesting that now that she is dead, Allison Argent is being highly praised all around. Kind of like an actual, "real life" death. I personally always liked the character and felt her entire arc was true to her circumstances. I will definitely miss her strength, intelligence, and bravery.
Flag
now i really hope we get more bonding moments between Isaac and scott. all Isaac has is Scott now to mourn. Isaac's life sucks so bad ;'(
he looses his brother his mom, his dad is abusive. he looses him too. derek kicks him out of his house.only allison and scott cared for him and the love of life died and she confessed her love for her ex. THIS IS LIKE KILLING ME COMPLETELY. knife stabbing.
i need more Isaac in next season
Flag
I actually have a feeling there will be a bit of a riff between them (Scott & Isaac) for a few episodes next season. Isaac seems like he would be a bit of the jealous type and act on his emotions, as we've seen previously. I think Allison's death will affect each character in a different way, and Scott has keep his pack from falling apart.
Flag
*has to keep
Flag
Yeah, I never really got the Derek thing. He kicked him out because of the Alpha pack, cause he didn't want Isaac to end up like Boyd.

So what's stopping them budding up now?
Flag
Derek was sota abusive to him - granted it was when Derek was trying to train them in his own unique break a few bones manner. Also Derek has no furniture. Isaac was literally sleeping on the floor according to the deleted scene between him and Scott inthe locker room. Scott's place is a home, Derek's is more of a den.

Isaacs a 17 year old better suited to living with a kid his own age and his mom who has accepted him than a surly grown man.

My take on the living arrangement, at least.
Flag
As far as living arrangement I totally agree. I also think Scott's mom is a far better parent than Derek...

But at least as far as their friendship is concerned. It doesn't seem like Derek and Issac had even 2 lines of dialogue this season.
Flag
This was another great episode, although I'm sorry to see Allison go.
I was glad to see normal Stiles again, I've missed him!
Although we haven't seen much of it I like that Derek seems to be looking out for the twins, that has potential as Derek needs a family.
I still don't trust Malia since the nogitsune mentioned coyotes when talking about tricksters and I didn't think it was a coincidence. I also noticed Parish saying he'd been "drawn" to beacon hills, so he's definitely something supernatural.
I loved that Lydia had tried to keep her friends away because she had wanted to protect Allison and that when Allison was dying she asked if Lydia was okay, I really liked their friendship so I was glad that the show remembered that in Allison's final moments.
I also really liked the coach this episode, although I always love him, since he was sweet to Meredith. I'm starting to wonder if he knows more than he pretends since he trusted Kira, Scott and Stiles awfully quickly in regards to Meredith. She seems interesting, I'd like to see more of her.
Flag
am i the only one feeling super bad for Isaac? dint anyone noticed the look on his face? he was super devastated seeing his current love confessing her love to the ex. :'(
i wanted some sort of closer for them. :'( they had just started to open up to each other :'( that boy had finally found some happiness among all the choas and in the final moments she dint even mentioned him :'( this killed me completely
Flag
I thought he looked almost happy at one point, or maybe constipated. I don't think the actor knows how to act devastated. But yes, it must have hurt Isaac a little extra that she didn't even mention him.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members