A Teen Wolf Community
Monday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television

Teen Wolf S04E11: "A Promise to the Dead"

Not to sound overly morbid (which we should NEVER do while discussing a horror-themed supernatural serial), but a lot of people probably have an idea of how they want to die. Maybe your ideal ticket to the grave involves heroic actions like saving orphans from a burning building or crashing a helicopter into an orca. Me, I want to be Final Destination'd on Splash Mountain. Not even during the drop, but probably during the "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" part. Animatronics going haywire, an acid leak, the photo at the end is just my flaming skeleton sitting in the log, you know what I'm saying. But whatever the case, the main thing is I want to be SURPRISED. The LAST thing I want is for some banshee to show up at my door and tell me I'm about to bite it. Banshees are the supernatural world's equivalent of a live-tweeter. DO NOT spoil me, banshee. 

Alas, Derek had his own death spoiled for him this week in "A Promise to the Dead." I know what you're thinking, "Was Lydia's warning a promise or a threat?" It was a promise, jeez, didn't you just see the episode title? It was a promise to the dead. But also it was a MAJOR SPOILER if Derek was, like me, hoping to have a surprise death. Relax, banshees.

However, despite being strictly a set-up episode for presumably insane season finale, "A Promise to the Dead" was highly enjoyable on its own for a multitude of crazy reasons. Let's talk about those reasons!

So we started off in a giant Wendigo refrigerator (the refrigerator was giant, not the Wendigo) where a Wendigo was preparing a light snack.

But like somebody running up and slapping a Snickers out of your hand, Deaton was NOT about to let this Wendigo eat a lady.

After a brief tussle involving a meat hook and an expandable baton, Deaton told the Wendigo that he had to go back to Eichen House and then whapped him in the face until he passed out. Meanwhile the lady in the body bag seemed pretty relieved about this.

So add one more duty to Deaton's resume: In addition to being a cat neuterer and a druid he's also a part-time bounty hunter?

Which brought us to a tiny moment which was one of my favorite Teen Wolf reveals so far: The show has its very own Arkham Asylum!

A head guy at Eichen House is well aware of the supernatural monsters of Beacon Hills (though apparently not quite as aware of the active serial killers on his staff) and there's even a secret floor where many of them are contained. Including this guy above with silver eyes (not Wendigo eyes, so he's something else) and what looked to be maybe another Kanima chilling in a different cell. But the main resident of the Eichen House monster bin was Dr. Valack, who was sort of a psychic Hannibal Lecter with a taste for macabre body mod. (P.S. Macabre Body Mod is the name of my goth synthpop band.)

Like, look what Deaton saw when he peered into Dr. Valack's forehead hole:

AAAAAAHHH!! This was grody. But don't worry, it wasn't just a brain eyeball, it was also the WINDOW TO ANOTHER REALM. Or something. Usually when somebody says that a person has a "third eye" it's a metaphor, but not on Teen Wolf. On Teen Wolf, you are going to see a LITERAL third eye and it WILL be disgusting. Anyway, buried the lede, there was now a straight-up psychic wizard in the mix finally and Deaton was going on a vision quest.

Meanwhile Mrs. McCall was chillin at her house with the power shut off because she's poor. (Question, does the hospital even pay her? Maybe reprioritize your bill-paying strategies, lady, because the power should be pretty high up there.)

But then Scott came home and discovered that his mom had found his duffel bag full of cash and she had questions!

This was a great scene in which Scott was pretty honest about where the money had come from, and again I was relieved that Melissa was so in-the-know about everything, it saved us a lot of time and didn't turn Scott into a liar. It was a dead assassin's blood money, what of it? And I loved her point about how Scott can save a life, but he can't save people from life—which includes power bills, for example. But then he listed off all of the things that this cash could buy, like a new roof, or more tattoos, or a yellow Lamborghini Countach, or a whole box of Blue Razz Blow-Pops. But then Mrs. McCall handed him a blood-soaked stack of cash and Scott got TOLD. 

Then over at Liam's house he and Mason were playing video games very intensely.

This part kinda killed me. Mason had to leave and Liam got SO SAD. I love that just because you become a very powerful monster doesn't mean you're mentally equipped to deal with being a very powerful monster, and Liam's still pretty scared of his new reality to the point that he can't even really sleep anymore. Like, we the viewers have become desensitized to the extreme violence and terror of Beacon Hills, so I love that we're seeing an outsider try to cope with it as his main plotline. I'm really glad he wasn't just thrown into the mix and asked to catch up ASAP. This stuff just makes me like Liam so much more.

Because yeah, as soon as his lil' head hit the pillow he was hallucinating Berserkers in his bedroom.

But Liam was not the only person having trouble sleeping:

There was somebody on Derek's premises! So of course Braeden jumped up and started cocking her shotgun while dressed only in her unmentionables and Derek (who I guess was wearing pants in bed) answered the front door. 

It was a banshee! Come to scream in Derek's face. We get it, banshee, Derek's in danger. Couldn't you just DM him? Banshees!

First of all, Malia is homeless now, right? I mean, I know her adoptive dad is the dead priest from The Originals, but does she live with him still? Second, does Sheriff Stilinski know that his son is having sexy sleepovers with his girlfriend all the time? But third, this was very cute when Malia was mad that Stiles wouldn't wake up for lacrosse practice, but then she looked at his evidence board and got all smitten and mouth-attacked him. That is some nerd stuff right there and I agreed with Malia. Amateur detectives are very cute sometimes. (Also it helped that he seemed especially interested in finding out who The Desert Wolf was, but it's not clear if she'd told Stiles that was her mom yet or not.)

So get this: Derek honestly did not give a sh*t that Scott had a duffel bag full of Hale money. In fact, he more or less just gave it back to Scott, on account of hating his uncle or whatever. Also this was where we learned a new thing about Derek: He's a SLUM LORD. That's how he has money, he owned this whole building of lofts. If there's one thing you can say about Derek it's that he has an interesting eye for real estate. First the burnt down house he was living in, then that old subway car. Derek should have a show on HGTV. But anyway, yeah, Scott seemed pretty unsure of what to do about that bag of money.

Meanwhile, guess who was still staring into a psychic monster's brain eyeball?

Deaton woke up in what was very obviously a Berserker factory! But he wasn't actually there, see:

The Eichen House dude had WARNED him not to fall into a brain-eyeball trance, but Deaton didn't listen. Now he was probably going to have to be committed or whatever. (Don't worry, he doesn't get committed, Lydia shows up and screams at him off camera and he's fine.)

I liked this scene at school mostly because it's rare that we get to see the girls just being friends. Like here's Malia thanking Lydia for helping her get a C-.

And Kira tried to cheer Lydia up about the dead pool being over, but come on, Kira, it's not the season finale YET.

This weight room scene was pretty cool too. I guess Liam had something to prove about his toughness so he loaded tons of weights onto the bench press and then told Mason to scram because he didn't need a spotter due to awesomeness.

But while Liam was weightlifting he had bad memories of a Berserker growling at him and he started getting crushed under the bar! Fortunately his teen dad showed up and saved him from being crushed to death!

But it was clear Liam was far from okay. (I just loved this shot of how tiny Liam looked next to a Berserker.) Again, this is some ripe psychological exploration Teen Wolf's doing, and even though it verges on stakes-free dream sequence stuff (of which I am not normally a fan), I like that this feels like the set-up for a moment of triumph. And again, it keeps this show grounded in a really good way. THESE ARE JUST KIDS.

So then Argent showed up in the sewer and started going through all the Berserkers' personal items.

But of course Peter Hale was down there too and he sicced a Berserker on him! Then he stabbed him into the wall with an iron rod!

Not a great day for Argent. And yeah, Peter Hale is full villain now. I guess I'm fine with it, he IS a good villain.

Oh, remember how Scott and Kira hadn't gone on a proper first date before? Now they have:

I liked when he got her to light up the lightbulbs with her kitsune powers, but mostly I had questions about how long it had taken Scott to rewire the loft and install all those lightbulbs. Weeks? But the main thing I liked about this was that Derek officially cemented his status as a cool older bro. He let Scott use his loft for sexin'! Very chill of him. 

So yeah, first they tried to watch Star Wars on a laptop but then they just started mouth-attacking each other instead. As teens do.

Unfortunately the makeout party didn't last long.

Ugh, Kate. Couldn't you have waited like eight to ten minutes? I know you are kind of a villain, but that doesn't mean you gotta c*ckblock.

Holy moly did I love this part:

So, Stiles' dad invited him and Malia to dinner and Stiles straight-up asked him if he could afford it. And he claimed he could because Eichen House had forgiven their debt on account of Stiles having almost been murdered by one of its employees. Problem solved! (Also, the Sheriff's Department does indeed pay Sheriff Stilinski right?) But the best part was obviously this part: Sheriff Stilinski asking Malia what her favorite food was.

Usually I don't recap the jokes because they are funny enough on their own and I risk ruining it by talking about it (which is why a lot of people think I ignore Stiles too much, but the reason is that he's too funny) but this is maybe my favorite Teen Wolf joke ever? At least based on how hard I laughed. Malia likes to eat deer. (Also Shelley Hennig's voice dropped an octave when she said it and that alone made me laugh out loud.) In conclusion this was definitely one of those moments that gave me heart-eyes for this show. 

But then Stiles covered for her and told his dad that Malia actually loves pizza. So they all went out to pizza!

Meanwhile Scott was not having anywhere near as good a time:

A Berserker carried him through the lightbulbs and threw him on the stairs and then Kate back-handed him. Meanwhile Kira grabbed a chain and tried to go all Gogo Yubari on him.

But it didn't work. MINOR RANT. I get that the Berserkers are presented as indestructible and super powerful, but why didn't Kira try to electrocute him with the chain? Is the idea that she still doesn't really know how to control her abilities? Even though she lit up the lightbulb a few minutes earlier? In fact, I thought that was the whole point of the lightbulb thing, to remind us that she can do things like that. But all season it feels like she's been really underwhelming when it comes to her powers. From her surprisingly dull samurai sword (against the Berserkers at least) to how often she gets punched across the room, I'd kind of like to see Kira get sliiiightly more powerful. And again, I realize that it can be boring for a hero to have no flaws, but I know I would like to see Kira hold her own a little bit better. It's probably not fair to compare her to Allison, but personally I came to really love Allison just as soon as she started getting stronger and fearless and started winning fights.

But then there's Scott. HE IS AN ALPHA. Why is he getting slapped around by some newborn were-jaguar who can't even control her own transformations? The only reason I can come up with was that he was uncomfortable hitting a lady, which is fair. But again, him getting beaten up here felt like a narrative need rather than an organic display of his abilities. Before this season we'd seen four batches of episodes that proved he's up for any challenge, especially physically. I wish the writers would have maybe figured out a surprising way that Kate could have gotten the upper hand rather than just a simple fight like this. It made Scott look weak and it's frustrating as a viewer to see him backslide into helplessness. Like don't tell us he's this Super Turbo Alpha who could hulk out at any minute and then have him lose a slap-fight. I know Teen Wolf can't be about invincible heroes, but it CAN be about ingenuity, and I wish there would've been more of that here. Kate's plan was seriously just to burst into a window and punch everybody? Okay I'll stop.

Wait one more thing. The kids have lost what feels like DOZENS of battles against the Berserkers. Should they perhaps have figured out the Berserkers' weaknesses by now? Just askinnnnng.

Anyway, I DID really like Kate's motivation. She basically told him that she was tired of seeing her family die and it all began when Scott entered the picture. Now she wanted to know why exactly the town was letting him be this magnet for destruction all the time. 

So, you know, actually a very good scene that addressed major conceptual issues about what makes a hero, and how much collateral damage should bystanders be willing to put up with. Kate might be a jerk and a c*ckblocker but she WASN'T wrong. I guess the bear bones and the dead pool and the assassins were a temporary diversion and Kate's grievances against Scott were actually the bigger theme of the season? That's rich territory to explore, so it's weird that the season hasn't really explored it up until now. I like mouth-less assassins and golden lacrosse twink assassins and shirtless Wendigos a lot too, but at this point I wish maybe Kate had been more front-and-center with this stuff earlier. Imagine if she had been like, "THIS is for Victoria" or whatever before throwing Peter Hale into the open mouth of a Great White Shark I don't know, I shouldn't back-seat write. I guess I just really like this righteous Kate Argent stuff way more all of the sudden, sue me. (No, don't!) But I would at the very least enjoy hearing Kate Argent grapple with being a revenge-minded hunter versus being the exact kind of creature she would normally murder. A monster hating monster hunter monster is a very good internal conflict!

So anyway, Stiles and Liam had to play lacrosse without Scott and Kira, but he assured Liam he could handle it on his own because he'd been practicing. 

But then he got tackled right away! Poor Stiles. Question: Is Lacrosse mostly tackling? With the occasional stabbing?

Haha just kidding, there were no stabbings and Berserkers are not eligible to play high school lacrosse. Liam was still just seeing things.

This was another very good scene. Malia clearly hates Peter Hale for, I guess, accidentally creating the dead pool. But he had a bargain for her: He'd tell her who her mother was if she would do him the tiny favor of murdering Kate Argent. I loved this because he had obviously tasked her with killing Scott, and now he's hiring someone to kill her, maybe as a way of tying off loose ends, who can be sure? Peter Hale's plans are always so twisty. But also, it's this definitely Call of the Wild situation where Malia is trying to become a normal human teen and Peter's trying to get her to become a murdering coyote again. He probably only needed to dangle venison jerky in front of her, but he dangled her bio-mom's identity instead. And from the looks of it, Malia seemed ready to take him up on the offer.

Once upon a time in Mexico...

Whoooops, Kate had taken Scott and Kira to Mexico! Who among us hasn't woken up on a pile of bones in Mexico? It's actually more comfortable than it looks, but that's beside the point. Kira was now in a dungeon of some kind!

Here was a major dreamboat moment: Brett returned to (a) kick Liam's butt all over the lacrosse field, and (b) dole out some dreamy tough-love in the locker room. It mostly had to do with how much Brett reaaaaally loved Scott now, and he tried to impress on Liam how lucky he was to have such a sweet, nice, "true Alpha" like him in his life.

I'm not sure that Liam is totally okay now, but I liked that this random hunk was able to remind him that he's tougher and braver than he thinks and he just needs to get it together and respect his father or something like that, I don't know. Look, I'm just glad Brett's still alive and I hope he transfers to Beacon Hills, what about you? 

Hey look who found Argent nailed to a sewer wall! Deputy Parrish! I guess he'd been following Peter Hale around lately (fair enough!) and now he was very concerned about Argent's health in that he was nailed to a wall in a sewer. So the next thing we knew he took off his jacket and yanked on Argent's pole.

But—and this was another very good moment—Parrish needed Argent's help freeing him and Argent was too depressed to care, so Parrish told him he needed to get mad about Allison's death and it worked!

And of course Parrish's dreamy eyes turned orange. What are you, you fire rascal? You know what, I think I just answered my own question. Parrish is a Fire Rascal. The secretly buff volcano sprite of myth and legend. Awaken, Fire Rascal! Burn away our problems and probably also your clothes! Love this guy.

And then we came to the ending and NO ME GUSTA.

Oh no, Scott is a Berserker now! On the downside, it looked like the inside of that bear skull smelled extremely nasty. But on the upside, now Scott will be better in fights? Haha j/k j/k. But seriously, Scott is a Berserker now. It seemed like Kate's plan was to convert Scott into a Berserker so that his friends would murder him, but uh, did she notice that none of his friends are effective against Bersekers at all? I don't know, Kate, this seems like a fishy plan to me. But anyway, that is definitely a shocking way to go into the finale. 

I think I am sympathetic to fans and viewers who maybe felt like the Benefactor stuff didn't prove to be more important, especially when everything was leading back to Aztec myth eventually, but when it comes to a season finale you still have to ask yourself: Do I care? Because I DO. I care about every plotline as it stands and I want to know what happens next in all of them. "A Promise to the Dead" introduced a lot of concepts and teased so much endgame (while also being scary as h*ck in certain moments) that only a true contrarian wouldn't be entertained and intrigued by all this insanity. Because we are definitely in the realm of insanity now and personally speaking that is exactly where I want to live. THIS IS WHO WE ARE. Let's do this.

Ok talk soon BYE

QUESTIONS

... Why does Peter Hale want Kate Argent dead?

... Will Scott look good as a Berserker?

... Will Derek die?

... Is a "bad eye day" even a thing?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/8/2016

Season 5 : Episode 20

662 Comments
Comments (662)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
So, I engaged in a marathon this past Memorial Day weekend with the intention of watching only the very, very good seasons (so I was going to only watch Season 2, obviously) and then I was like screw it and discovered I am missing my season 3A (seriously, I searched my whole apartment, its totally missing and I don't think I loaned it out, it was getting to the point of, well, I am going to check on Amazon that I even bought it in the first place...which I am pretty sure I did because I have a memory of thinking if I was going to advise anyone to watch it, I was thinking they could skip Visionary, you wouldn't be confused by baby Derek in Season 4) and then when I finished Season 3b, I was kind of depressed (RIP Allison) I decided to watch Season 4 again and get annoyed that they won't release the DVD until a week before the season begins. I just rewatched this episode during lunch and will watch the season finale again tonight and I think my thoughts on the whole season are actually more generous than they were to begin with. I mean not like the when you watch 3B and are actually able to fill plot holes in 3A, but still. Season 4 wasn't the best season in the world but it was majorly improved by these two episodes.

But, some thoughts, around 117 (the baby Derek episode) I was sort of like, this season really wasn't that great. Then I sort of noticed, wow, I sort of wish they had saved Kate for these episodes because she kind of got in the way of the Benefactor investigation a lot. And hey, did anyone else realize that Scott actually figured out the Benefactor? It was a little sweet conversation with Kira in which she was telling him she had to leave to be with her mother at the end of his faked death episode, but still. I mean, he didn't say, Meredith, but they thought she was dead at that point.

I sort of hope that the Season 4 DVD answers some questions, like in that time of death episode, it seems apparent that Kate called off the Beserkers and that was how Kira and Liam got back, but it was so random. I also hope that sometime after the big shoot out fight at the end of the Dead Pool episode that the little girl or someone mentioned Scott's transformation and so, he was holding back in his fight until...well, for people who haven't seen the season finale yet...and how interesting it was in 3B where Scott was mentioning his fears if he embraced his status that he never mentioned turning into a Deucalion type wolf and isn't just so obvious that would be his journey especially since the younger Deucalion we met was very much like Scott now...but I thought of another fairly legitimate excuse for him (I read somewhere that it didn't even occur to the writers that Kira would electrify the chain and then again in the season finale....) and it actually occurred to me with what Derek was going through. Now, Braeden is undoubtedly a good teacher, but he became a better fighter because of that and using skills he had as a werewolf. Kate was a trained and experienced hunter who has given totally into the animal. But overall, yes, if they had just thrown in some smoke bombs or something. But, Kate, Scott wasn't totally responsible for your family's downfall. That was kind of your fault and arguably your father's when he set the wolves against each other and then you turned the stable and rationale wolf family against your family so that their crazy person would go after you.
More+
Flag
I am so missing Isaac, Danny, Ethan & Aiden about now. Also Jackson.
Flag
While the title "A Promise To the Dead" could also refer to Lydia's banshee appearance, I thought it had to do with the opening when Deaton told the Doctor he needed to know what was happening to Derek because he'd made a promise to a woman he loved. I assumed that woman was Derek's mother, and hence a promise to a dead person.
Flag
I am so excited for season 5!!!!!!!! I LOVE TYLER POSEY!!!!!
Flag
I wish they would stop emphasizing the fact that Scott is a true alpha, only for him to get his butt kicked by everyone.
Flag
This entire season has been badly written, and even the acting hasn't been up to par. I'll be watching the finale but I hope that Season 5 gets back to the awesomeness it used to be, because Season 4 has been terrible. No wonder it lost nearly a million from its audience.
Flag
Nothing deadlier and sexy than a woman in her under garments with a shotgun! also loved the TSC pizza nod. This is gonna get interesting Scott as a berserker
Flag
So excited for tonight! (I apologize if I say anything that has been said, haven't read all the comments). Anyhoo here goes my theory..

I think Peter had Kate make Scott a berserker. Now he is having Malia kill Kate because he no longer needs her. also with his emphasis on they have to kill the berserkers... So if Peter kills Scott as a berserker he can get the alpha powers? Would they still be alpha powers? Or maybe berserker alpha powers? That would be a scary thought if Peter could still retain his control/evil plots...talk about a fun big bad.
I'm worried about Malia though, love her + want to see more of Stalia- they are too stinking cute! Hopefully she will realize that blood doesn't always equal family, sometimes the best family are those you choose (although now is the time I have to remind myself they are teenagers with a lot to learn).
Love Lydia, I think they brought her storyline + she is a stronger character for it- so she better make it.
I hate to say it but just not feeling Scott + Kira...there just isn't chemistry IMO....but maybe the finale will fix that?
I'm thinking Derek will make it...I really like him, maybe he will get his Powers back if he kills Kate, she caused it!
Parrish... I really like him. So I'm thinking we will see his powers develop like Lydia. Still going with him being a phoenix.
So much more to say but this has gotten too long! So excited for tonight, watching the marathon now!
More+
Flag
Oops! Wanted to add if a main character has to die I think it will be Deacon (he just got a new role on another show)

Also the whole desert rose may be the storyline for next season...
Flag
The entire time I was waiting for this recap, I was hoping that you would bring up Malia and Pizza and find a way to tie it back to Diana and Pizza (PIZZANA) and you DID NOT DISAPPOINT PRICE! (as if I had any doubt!)
The Deer scene might have been one of my favorites of the ENTIRE SHOW to be honest. I think a bit of what had been lacking in the past couple of eps was the lightheartedness and FUN and just plain goodness of Stiles and Malia together, and as a team. I just love their interactions and I'm REALLY glad that got worked out sooner rather than later (and I hope they last in to next season, because I'm not ready for it to end!)
This episode was a great set up for what will hopefully be an amazing finale to an amazing season. The wait for season 5 is going to be kind of torturous no matter what goes down (ALMOST A YEAR? SERIOUSLY MTV?)

And last and most importantly, you were awewsome on Wolf Watch Price! Is Shelley Hennig as amazing as I always thought she might be?
Flag
Did anyone watch Being Tyler Posey? Can you give me a link to watch it online now or at least tell me what they showed, please? It was 5 am here... :(
Flag
Did anyone watch Being Tyler Posey last night.

Some possible small spoilers.

They showed Tyler filming fight scene with Peter.
The showed him tearing off the berserker mask.
There was also a preview or something (I wasn't paying the best attention) where Kate says that he became an alpha without having to kill anyone, now she was going to change that.
Flag
I'm pretty sure Lydia is going to be the character who's "arc" ends this season. Think about it. They have pretty much done all they can do with her and her banshee powers. There's not much else. Plus, she's the only cast member who hasn't appeared on Wolf Watch all season. If you go back to season 3B, you will notice Alison isn't on any of the episodes of wolf watch. She also wasn't on any of the after, after shows either. I think her screams, were to warn others of her impending death, she is predicting her own death, just like her grandmother did. Maybe I am wrong.
Flag
Holland was on the last after after show. But it's possible...
Flag
Yay! A Malia/pizza outing. I've been asking for this all season! Wish we would've seen it.

i feel Peter being a villain is predictable and boring. I much preferred him as ambiguous and shady. Like you never really know his true intentions, but he usually helps out in some way or is there for a reality check. That was more interesting to the character. But, it's alright. He's a villain and we'll see what happens.

Will be sad if Derek dies, but there are a number of characters who I like (Derek, Chris, Peter- you know, the hot ones lol) but seem like there's not really much else to do with them. Unless they can turn the series fully on its head and reboot it in some way, I don't see much further use for them.
Flag
I was trying to figure out why the Calaveras haven't come gunning for Scottyet after he turned Liam. Then I realized that they had probably heard about the dead pool (may have even been recruited) and were probably waiting for it run it's course. If Scott had been killed, then they wouldn't have had to use up valuable resources to kill him. Now that Scott's survived, they'll be free to go after him, and not get tripped up by any assassins in the process.
Flag
Argent said the hunters that are hunting for bounty aren't hunters anymore. So the Calaveras, being very upstanding and by-the-code hunters, would not engage in Deadpool hunting.
Flag
Exactly, they've just been waiting it out. Now that the dead pool is over, they'll be coming after Scott. Unfortunately, they have lots of experience hunting werewolves, so Scott might be in far more danger from them than he ever was from the assassins.
Flag
Hadn't she said if Scott kills an innocent rather than bites an innocent they'll come for him?
Flag
Nope. Araya was clear: Scott bites somebody & they're coming after him.
Flag
Correct me if i am wrong but didn't Jeff Davis say at Comic Con this year that we hadn't seen the last of Danny. Therefore he may well appear in the finale in some way.
Flag
I was wondering the same thing...its becoming an ensemble cast which is cool so people can come in + out...especially stiles if the mazerunner takes off, can't imagine the show without him
Flag
Well, he might have been referring to season 5… we'd need to see the transcript of the Comic Con interview to make sure.
Flag
I'm pretty sure it was on the panel, someone asked him about Danny and i think he just said we haven't seen the last of him. Plus they wouldn't just not have him show up for this amount of time just after revealing he knew about everything in Beacon Hills without a good reason, storywise.
Flag
I'm wondering about the Berserkers that Kate has with her... Are they innocent people who she kidnapped and transformed by putting those bones on them? I would like to know who these Berserkers are. But if they can't answer those questions, I'd settle for Kate dying for good this time :P
Flag
There is a possibility that there are the two Calaveras hunters who disappeared looking for her.
Flag
Great review as usual... Nice extra pick of Pizzana from the terrible Secret Circle (RIP)... Loads of action in this episode and sure, it did raise the stakes for the finale and for next season since our heroes are in so much trouble that surely the finale can't resolve it all... It was fun to see Deaton in action and also Lydia bringing him back albeit offscreen. Even Parrish saving Argent in the eleventh hour was nice... Having said that, a few frustrations:
  • Scott & Kira were too easy to capture... Seriously it is a bit tiring that Scott is such a lame Alpha most of the time... Sure we love the natural hero/alpha stuff and his inner goodness but geez, can he get better at kicking ass or at least defending himself? The berserkers' invulnerability is getting tiresome too...
  • Kate has to die and soon. She is so annoying and frankly there is hardly any logic to her actions... Surely even her addled mind can tell that Peter is a much more evil character than Scott who is just a kid? Blaming the Argent family losses on a teen while building an alliance with Peter Hale is beyond idiotic... And as a way to help her family reputation she wants to make Scott into a more powerful monster? Weren't the Argent monster hunters? Just die Kate please
  • I know Malia has issues having grown up in the wild and such but let's not make her as dumbass as to trust her 'father' Peter who is showing his true colours all the time esp. when he asks her to kill someone to just tell her who her mother is (I am convinced he's known who she is all along but is making a show of having to find her)
More+
Flag
Kate has never really been logical...almost like Gerard, she definitely takes after him with...justifying actions to fit whatever she wants
Flag
I also like that deaton was in there whippin some no gooder and it was just to talk to some one. i would like to see more of deaton's inner azz kicker in the future.

And yeah the whole scott is the baddest of alpha's because he is a "true alpha" but seems to get whipped by any one who is having a bad day, even when the girl he loves is taking a beaten worse than he is and he still gets whipped and cannot save her???? I guess i have to ask, why does he ever leave the house alone and with out his posse???? I heard in next season he is taking self defense classes at the localk YCMA tto help him in this area.
Flag
Just two more things, One is i really cannot wait for derek to come back to the show cause i have always liked his big brother wolf arc and even though he is now the cool uncle with the hot GF guy i miss ole derek!!!! And two, the first season we learned about werewolf hunters but i have to ask, why do they just hunt werewolves because out of all the super naturals they look decently chill???? I mean i understand they dont like them turning normies but seriously, the other super naturals seemed to be just out right killing innocents. Like, where were the kit su nay (sp) hunters???? Or shouldnt we have seen one beserker hunter by now????

Flag
There have been mentions of the Hunters going after other dangerous supernaturals. Chris Argent spoke about having to kill Berserkers. He was warned that he might even have to kill his own daughter if she was possessed by the Nogitsune. And Grandpa Argent had a listing of different supernaturals called the Bestiary.

Flag
Touched on a very good point that i (and have seen others comment on) have been wondering and that is, What does scott have to do to win a fight in episodes that arent finales???? I mean he looked incredibly weak against kate. I also believe they should have shown a better way that kate took him down so easily!!! But another good episode and the finale should be awsome.
Flag
If Scott had to have his ass beat so badly, I would have rather had the Berserker do it. That would have been better in my opinion. He should have beat the crap out of Kate, knocking her out or something, and then the Berserker would come and finish Scott off. Since Scott just went nuts the week before, I was expecting to get at least a little taste of that during his fight with Kate.

Some people are pointing out that Scott doesn't want to lose control and become a "monster" and that he was trying to protect Kira. But, and this is just my opinion, the best way to protect Kira would have been to seriously kick Kate's ass.
Flag
SMJ, I think the berserker softened up Scott for Kate to finish off. When the show came back from commercial break, the berserker had already beat up on Scott and was carrying him over his head, to eventually throw Scott against the wall & finally tumble down the stairs. But Scott got up and made some excellent moves against Kate--maybe his last pop of energy before she wailed on him.

I'm thinking they have so much story they want to tell that the middle fight stuff just happens off-screen.
Flag
Thank you for that point of view. That makes the scene much easier to take when I think of it like that.
Flag
You're welcome. I'd like to see Scott successfully wailing on a few baddies myself. I keep having to remember also that the timeline of TW is really short even tho it's been on for 4 seasons now. Scott hasn't even been a werewolf for much more than a year, right? And he's a True Alpha already. What a life changer.
Flag
... Why does Peter Hale want Kate Argent dead? Revenge for his family?
... Will Scott look good as a Berserker? Tottally. This is probably the most interesting of the season- can't wait for them to fight Scott.
... Will Derek die? It truly seems like it, but I'm really hoping not because he's such a great character.
... Is a "bad eye day" even a thing? Lmao. I wear contacts and I'm not great at putting them in (or even taking them out at the right time) so sometimes I do have a bad eye day.

This episode felt so short! I like Liam's character, I love his friend, and I love the hunky policeman. I just wish Scott and Kira weren't so incompetent. I have no clue why Kira won't use her powers...
Flag
OK, People!!! This can't make it to the finale without overwhelming anxiety trip needs to slow down. This morning over brunch I was watching (don't laugh) Ancient Aliens, S5, Ep1, entitled Secrets of the Pyramids, and received inspiration. A Russian military officer has recently had done research on pyramid power and proved that it exists. "So what?" you may ask. The idea of a pyramid, or any religious site, for that matter, is often Transformation. And definitely a separation of the everyday from the spiritual. I asked myself about the La Iglesia being built on top of an old Aztec temple--not that the temple was built as a pyramid, mind you, but that it's an ancient power place. So, we've got 1) a place of transformation and 2) a place of power.

Now, how about Kate. Where did she learn her crazy mojo and how to make & control berzerkers? Trial & error? Was the bone-inlaid altar there or did she make it? I'm thinking she's winging it. And she asks Scott "What makes you so special?" Obviously she doesn't know or care about the True Alpha.

But we know there is a True Alpha lurking inside Scott, even though what that means isn't clear yet. And all this action is going down on a full moon. Do you really think Scott isn't going to break free? I think this is the time Scott will choose to own the True Alpha. And just to be clear, he's not going to die in a mortal sense, but be born again as the True Alpha we've been teased with for 2 seasons.

Now, as for the mundane data about the finale :
  1. The length. In an early AfterBuzz program for this season (don't recall which one) it was said they were cutting the finale and had about 20 minutes over the allotted time. I suspect they were allowed to keep most of it.
  2. Tyler Posey's hair--he said in an interview that yes, he had his hair buzz cut b/c he had been wanting too, and there was enough time for it to grow out. (I don't think he was talking about "for his wedding")
  3. Jeff Davis himself has said there is no TW without Tyler Posey.
  4. Set picture of Tyler Posey in wolf makeup taking a nap on the last day shooting S4. At some point, folks, Scott is going to wolf out.
I would suggest having tissues handy for the viewing of the finale, because I doubt it will reach its conclusion without some dire events.

Be strong, People!!! It will all be over until next season after Monday night. And we still have each other on this board to discuss, to laugh, to cry, to scream....okay, but we still have each other. :)
More+
Flag
Season finale will be a tearjerker since a main character will end up dying, I don't know if it's actually going to be Derek since they are making it seem like it in the promos but it's possible, this episode will last 1 hour and 15 minutes (about 50-55 minutes with no commercials) and apparently, season 5 will air next summer, that's a long way, I guess that's why Tyler Posey cut all his hair, I really liked it better with his season 1 hair :/
Flag
I was busy this week and only managed to watch this episode just now. On the good side of things, Price's photo recap is already here! So I'm going through it right now… wasn't the title of the episode "A promise to the dead" referring to Deaton's promise to "a woman I loved" - presumably Talia, the promise being to help Derek and watch after him?
Flag
All your comments were SO spot on, my thoughts EXACTLY on this episode, on the Gogo Kira with no lightning from her chains which I was totally expecting to the everyone's so weak/hannibal/Brett(omg yummy) stuff. Only thing I can add is to the Hannibal guy: I think he ate Tienshinhan.
Flag
I was so excited you got to be on Wolf Watch, Price! I've been reading your recaps for years and my best friend and I are huge fans of yours! We quote our favorite comments from TVD to each other every week. Way to make the big time by showing you are THE MAN when it comes to Teen Wolf recaps. Bravo!
Flag
Although Peter was an asshole in this episode i still love him! But i know that the person that is againts Scott doesn't win... Then again Jackson, Deucalion and even Peter are still alive. I don't know, i just love Ian Bohen way too much!

Also i don't think the McCall's power bill is too high, they are never in their house! maybe when they go to sleep

Oh! I wanna know if Lydia's mom already saw the wall Stiles and Malia broke last time they were there.
Flag
I thought I was the only one who was wondering about that wall! lol I would love to see Natalie's reaction or at least hear Lydia talk about how her mother's taking the money to fix the wall out of her allowance or something.
Flag
A lot of banshees here, predicting the death of TW next season.
Not cool at all, but I kinda agree :(
Something feels lost.
Flag
I hope Peter doesn't die in season finale.
Flag
Price. Did you really call Kate's motives righteous?

I don't think so. It was her, who set off the chain of events that led to the death of her aunt and niece. Remember? She burnt down the Hale's house and killed innocent people. Peter went nuts and turned Scott, because he wanted a pack to be able to take revenge on the Argents and become the super Alpha along the way.
So it would be really nice, if Kate slashed her own throat this time, because this mess is all her fault. Even the deadpool, come to think of it.

At first, I was surprised, that Kira didn't use her powers, but it could be, that she only has one spark at a time and she used everything for the lighting of the loft. And then there's the fact, that she's still a baby Kitsune. If I recall correctly, Kitsunes only get their full power when they reach the age of 100 years (remember, Kira's mom is almost 1000 years old).
I think, Kira overestimates her powers sometimes unlike Liam who is paralyzed by his fear.

I'm really nervous about the finale. Lydia screaming at Derek doesn't bode well for him. Hopefully, nobody (but the villains) dies. And let us at least get a tiny glimpse of Parrish' powers. I'm dying to know more about him. His scene with Chris was just perfect. And there was the moment of grief everybody was complaining about. See? Allison's not forgotten. Her father is aching on the inside.

More+
Flag
Kate is the worst character ever. She is all angry and lashing out but none of her alliances nor actions seem logical unless her motivation is just to unleash further chaos by helping Peter and trying to corrupt-upgrade Scott... She is barking up the wrong tree blaming Scott and I hope she just dies in the finale
Flag
Oh, and I'm really hoping that Lydia was screaming at Braeden instead of Derek, although his death has just about been predicted :(
Flag
I agree with so much you wrote. Kate's motives are anything but righteous. She is a monster, literally and figuratively, and she is responsible for almost everything that has happened. Ugh, I'm still so annoyed that they've even brought her back.

Maybe you're right about Kira. I was so annoyed that she got beat up again. (And I'm always annoyed that she relies on her katana rather than her powers). Since she is a very young kitsune, maybe she doesn't have very much power. Or maybe she doesn't have enough control to test her abilities? Or a combination of both. Either way, I feel slightly less annoyed about Kira getting beat up so bad.

I loved the scene between Argent and Parrish.
Flag
It's so easy to forget, that we are dealing with kids. Yes, they have powers but Kira found hers only some months ago. Before that, she was convinced to be a normal (clumsy) teenage girl.
It's like they always say in superhero tales. You have to learn to control your powers and use them accordingly or you might get eat up by them.
Even Scott has still problems when it comes to let go of his inner beast, even if he is in mortal danger. He has more experience than the others, but he also is still a kid.
That's what I really like about TW. They show the struggles that come with supernatural powers. It's not all just a party and you have to cling to your humanity even more. And therefore, I am really happy about the parents being in the loop. Schott's mom grounded her son back in reality. That was a very touching moment.
All in all, I can't complain about this season's turmoil. It served the gang a great deal for character development. If you know your weaknesses, you can build up your strength to avoid those pitfalls.

Can't wait for the finale, even if it means, that it's the end of this season.
It will be a long, long wait for season 5. Hopefully, we'll get a glimpse of Parrish' powers or at least, don't get him killed. I think, he's a great addition to the gang.
Oh, and I will miss this nice little conversations about my (only) TV infatuation. This has been great fun, guys! :)

More +
Flag
When I first watched the episode, I was extremely disappointed by the scene with Scott and Kira fighting Kate and the Berserker. I'm just getting really tired of seeing Scott (and now Kira) constantly getting defeated. But you have a good point. They are just kids. A few others pointed that out as well and it made me feel a little better (after a few days had gone by since the ep) :P But I think it's time for Scott to step his game up.

I'm not a Kira fan. I had so much hopes for her character when she first joined the show but I'm not liking her with Scott and after this season, I like them together even less than I did last season. I'd like her to come into her own and be a believable bad ass (or just leave).

Scott's mom is just about the best TV mom ever. I'm so glad that she's in the know (along with Sheriff Stilinski, Chris Argent and Doc Deaton). I love knowing that on Teen Wolf, there are adults that the kids can turn to and who are on the kids' sides.

Parrish will be returning for season 5 and that's when we'll find out what the heck he is. But in the mean time, I would like a HUGE glimpse at him transforming into something or a glimpse at something cool he can do.
More +
Flag
It took Allison almost two seasons to become a badass fighter. I think, we should cut Kira some slack. I think, she has great potential. It would be weird, if she already was able to kick Berzerker's behinds. I think, to beat one of those grumpy bears, you have to be able to feel a comparable amount of rage inside you. Liam, anyone? ^^ After all, he's ticking time bomb.

And Stiles' Dad is the best TV dad ever. I had a big crush on Jonathan Kent of Smallville, but now, Linden Ashby sits on his throne.
What about a Christmas special? I'd love to watch only Teen Wolf family interactions without all the beasty action interrupting those cuddly moments. :D

Waiting for Parrish' abilities to be revealed, is really going to kill me.
Anyone familiar with the Comics of "Asterix & Obelix"? Perhaps Parrish fell in to a magic potion when he was little. ^^
Ah, I've got it! He bathed in Dragon blood and can only be killed by hitting the right spot... One assumption is as good as the other. *sigh*

Flag
So... this show seems to be going in the direction that Scott might kill someone, but it will be like when Stiles killed people, it wasn't his fault he was possessed and now Scott is a Berserker. I am also thinking now that they have shown someone motivating Liam to stand up and fight, that he is gonna try and kill Scott, by accident because he is trying to kill a Berserker. I am curious as to whether Scott will lose his mind to Berserker-ness, and how it can be reversed, though I supposed that can be next seasons problem.
Now as for Lydia I wish they had more of that on screen, like her saving Deaton, she all of a sudden seems very on the ball with her abilities. I don't really know why she felt the need to scream at Derek though, she already told him that she predicted his death, is she giving daily updates now?
I do finding it funny that Derek basically leased his loft to Scott for sex.
I am also coming out of this episode with a torn heart and very conflicted about how to feel. I love Peter, but I also love Chris, and now I am just sad. That being said Peter's hurtful shenanigans against Chris did force some Parrish time, love those orange fiery eyes. What I also loved was that skin tight v-neck, is Parrish going to be replacing Peter as our resident v-neck if Peter does die this season?
I am confident that Derek will live, but I am looking forward to finding out how.
I love the Arkham Asylum thing they got going on. I can already see a future season were they all escape and cause chaos in the streets of Beacon Hills.
Basically I am very excited for this finale, the season has been shaky and I am looking for a wrap up and some great ideas next season.
More+
Flag
Good theory about Scott & Liam. But if Scott actually becomes a Berserker I'm going to be extremely disappointed. I keep hoping that someone will rescue him before he fully transforms. When Kate first attacked, I thought she wanted to take Scott and do to him whatever she'd done to Derek.

I'd much rather lose Peter than Chris Argent but I wonder what else there is for Argent to do on the show? I'm sure if they really put their minds to it, they could find something great for him to do on the show next season.
Flag
I would love more back story on both the Hale and Argent family. They sorta seemed to drop that when Kate reminds us all that their family is a couple hundred years old and is being taking out by Scott related issues. I would love to maybe meet a few of the surviving Argents and I really want to know more about the Hale's as guardians of Beacon Hills.
Flag
Those stories have a lot of potential. And I'd almost forgotten that it was said on one of those cassettes that the Hales started off as guardians. That would be so cool to see or even hear about.
Flag
Ahem. Scott is supposed to be an alpha--why should anyone have to rescue HIM? Oh. Wait. No. He's supposed to be THE Alpha. Too bad he isn't being written as advertised. This week's performance was just shockingly wimpy on Scott's part. Frankly, if they have to contrive a way to make him a Berserker to make him kick some ass (FINALLY), then they've already lost out on a great growth arc. He should be kicking ass and taking names this season and he just isn't.
Flag
The only reason I can come up with was that he was uncomfortable hitting a lady, which is fair.
Didn't seem to have problems with the Darach

But again, him getting beaten up here felt like a narrative need rather than an organic display of his abilities.
This simple sentence sums up everything wrong with this entire season
Flag
AMEN! Narratives should consider the person's ability before being written. If they dont fit, they shouldn't be written--no matter how cool it might seem on the outskirts of it all. Scott needs to man up. WOLF UP. A lot.
Flag
You're right. Obviously they have a problem with Scott's power level. Lydia too. But it's not just the action or supernatural stuff. It's the basic drama as well.

They give us an idiotic conversation between the Sheriff and his doctor about how there might be insurance problems - even though he was shot while on duty?!? It's absurd. It's just a setup for the following conversation between the Sheriff and Stiles and even though that scene was the best acted scene of the entire season (in my opinion at least) the setup for it was idiotic because the writers want us to accept all the parents are broke in an absurd manner. The strings are obvious.

Or another example is a person finding out mind boggling news and dropping it because the writers don't want to waste time on it. I mean seriously...
Stiles: You are on a hit list, someone is willing to pay 5 million dollars to have you killed
Parrish: Why?
Stiles: Dont' ask
Parrish: Okay, I'll drop the entire subject cause a random teen told me to.

I could go on here for hours... It's not just the action or the supernatural stuff that's absurd (and I can give doznes of examples for how crappy those were) - it's the basic drama as well.
More +
Flag
The thing I most want to find out in the finale is what exactly Parrish is.
I've probably spent way too much time on Wikipedia searching for fire-related mythological creatures that happen to be hunky.
Flag
They're not going to reveal what he is in the finale. They're saving that for next season :(
Flag
GAAAAAAAAAHHH NOOOOOoooo (丿&ロ&)丿︵ ┻━┻
Flag
I know :/
Flag
HE'S A PHOENIX!!!
I've been wondering that for a long time now, too, but I just realised it while seeing his orange eyes and the fact that he's definetly a fire character. And there are pretty moch no cool fire characters around, exept phoenixes :) (Not counting any maked-up ones here)
Flag
I think he's a fire kitsune I thought a Phoenix but when I saw his eyes they reminded me of Kira's and she's a thunder kitsune even tho she doesn't act like it it's so annoying that she doesn't use her powers ever
Flag
That would be too easy, I think, or too obvious. Parrish might be something else. Berzerkers originate in the Norse Mythology, with Parrish, they might go Greek, or something. There's still the possibility of Dragons or Salamanders. But, of course, a Phoenix would come in handy for Chris Argent, he is in great need of medical attention.
Flag
I agree with the fact that a phoenix is too obvious of a choice... It's the first thing that I thought of, so clearly it's not it :P
Flag
For Deputy Cutie, what came to mind for me is that I wonder if he is not some sort of a healer?? Several references have made that he looks young, he is able to calm people down (or motivate them), and he can't die because he himself heals easily. I hope we get another clue in next week's episode as to what he is.
Flag
This is not my idea but I saw this commented somewhere online and thought this would be cool to see this happen in the finale.

"Here's a thought. Does anyone else remember when Scott and Braeden were in the church looking for Derek? Scott had howled in order to get rid of the berserkers. He was all like, "i think that scared them away" Im predicting that this time, in order to get rid of the berserkers and get Scott out of whatever trance he is in, it will be Liam that will overcome his fear and howl like hell!!"
Flag
Liam? Come on. Liam almost wets the bed. Problem is, even if Liam is up to it, its still a sad state of affairs when your brand new beta has to save your sorry ass because you didn't wolf out and handle business yourself, imo.

/end rant
Flag
You made me laugh... Poor Liam seems to have PTSD (a serious condition for sure) seeing that he has flashbacks and nightmares while awake so yeah, it would be unfair to expect too much from him at this point... Although TW may go that way to try and enhance the character and make him a main character next season esp if we lose an existing wolf if Derek bites the dust (I hope not but so many signs....)
Flag
Yeah it is sad for it to happen right? lol oh well.. the show must go on.
Flag
That would be cool, like signifying to the pack, snapping him out of it.
I was also thinking because they sorta tried to remind us that Kira has electrical powers this episode, that she will zap him and than they can figure a way to reverse the Berserker change and Derek's change.
Or if Lydia comes along I am wondering if she will be able to speak to that goddess or whatever is in that church giving people powers and she will stop them from accidentally killing (trying to kill) Scott, and than negotiate a cure or something.
Flag
Two things I haven't seen anyone mention. First, I think they have shown us how Kate is controlling the berserkers. She created them! Makes total sense if you ask me.

Secondly, I think everyone is discounting one thing about Kate's fighting abilities. Besides her other advantages, she is stone cold crazy. And I have always said that crazy beats whatever else you've got because crazy don't care. Crazy don't care about getting hurt, who else gets hurt, or what gets destroyed in the process. Crazy doesn't even care if things go as planned as long as crazy happens. It is extremely tough to beat that.
Flag
I said elsewhere in the comments, I don't see a problem with Kate fighting Scott on equal ground. She is a messed up shifter, just like Jackson was. And Jackson stood his ground against Alpha Derek at the time.

Also, she has technique (being a hunter and all) while the rest of the shifters have simply brute strength and speed.
Flag
My guess for why Peter wants Kate dead will be no loose ends that can tell the others that it was really his idea to make Scott into a Beserker so that his friends will fight him and probably weaken him enough for Peter to finish Scott off and claim that he had absolutely no idea that it was Scott. It'll make him the Alpha again and Malia and Derek might not turn against him. So I could very much see that as his plan. But for the plan to work and everyone to believe that he is an innocent part in this both Kate and Chris have to die. Kate because she knows the plan and Chris because he found out too much. So he has a problem because Chris is luckily still alive because of Parish - whom I like more for that precise reason.

So I really can't wait to see how the others save Scott and defeat Peter.
Flag
I don't know why but am not enjoying this show like i used to! Now I actually leave watching it for like weeks and then binge watch about 3 or 4 episodes altogether. I just can't really put my finger on it but its not as exciting as it used to be. Shame though because I think there is a huge potential here. I would like to know what the ratings are compared to previous seasons.
Flag
The last two Monday episodes have had low ratings but mainly due to airing on Labour Day (a US holiday) and the previous Monday episode was a repeat of the original that was aired on Sunday before the Awards. Before those two, ratings have been around 1.5 to 1.7MM viewers staying ca. 0.7 in the demo. This is lower than Season 3 (where TW got around 2MM viewers per ep and I think 2.3 in the finale) but at the same level as Season 1 and 2 (outside of premieres and finale episodes).

TW ratings are very good for a show on MTV and generally for a cable show. Outside of shows like True Blood, GoT or the incredible ratings monster that is The Walking Dead, most scripted shows on cable do worse than Teen Wolf (esp. scifi/fantasy) which is why the show was renewed a good while back for a 20-ep long Season 5.

If you want to look at numbers yourself, you can look up the show on wikipedia and find each season you can see the total viewers per episode (and if you click on the reference, it takes you to the demo rating which is what MTV would care about).
More +
Flag
Thank mate really appreciate that.
Flag
Last weeks episode got a 1.29 which hasn't happened since season one.
Flag
It was Labour Day, so being a holiday it was not unexpected and the Monday before was a repeat from the Sunday special airing
Flag
I don't think it was their first episode on labor day..
Flag
It was. It never aired on Labor Day before. If you go to air dates on any site inc. this one you can see that http://www.tv.com/shows/teen-wolf-2011/episodes/
Flag
The ratings are terrible compared to the last few seasons
Flag
I wasn't sure that's why i was asking the question? The show just doesn't feel like it used to be as far as am concerned.
Flag
The issue is that now Teen Wolf has more sub plot lines in their recent seasons, as apposed to Season 1, 2, & maybe 3A.. which draws away from the main plot. There is such a big cast to keep all in one episode thus alternating characters per episode, which even then doesn't give much screen time. The original group of Scott, Styles, Lydia, & Derek aren't much together in scenes anymore so it loses that original Teen Wolf vibe/chemistry. It's more of a supernatural show now, the reason I say that is because there are more supernatural creatures than werewolves.

I still like watching the show but Teen Wolf hasn't been living up to the hype they try to build which is disappointing, their execution is not on point and they still leave unexplained answers which creates theories by fans. It's not a bad show, in fact its the only show I watch, but they lack continuity recently. Just my opinion!

Flag
Fair point mate, I agree with your opinion, the cast got bigger and it looks like so much hassle getting everyone decent screen time. They need to go back to the original formula and not have so many different supernatural beings! Honestly I just zoned out when they are dealing with most of the sub plots because frankly they are not that interesting and I couldn't care less!
Flag
I do like the different mythology, but it should be like one mythological creature a season, this one was too packed, between the dead pool, Kate, Peter, even exploring Lydia's banshee powers and background, Mexico, the Mexican hunter family, Berserkers. There was just too much this season and it got sloppy, they probably could have expanded this season into a couple, take one element and do it justice like previous seasons where they focused completely on the Kanima, or the first season where it was all about the alpha. Even 3A managed to do the 2 plots with the darach and the alpha pack nicely because they were connected. This season Peter was connected to the dead pool but not in a legitimate way that makes the other plot of trying to kill Scott and working with Kate flow nicely together. I am still hopeful for the finale and next season, but this one has been its weakest.
The large cast doesn't help either. I do like all the cast member and I don't want to sacrifice any, but it does make it hard to really showcase them as often or in as meaningful a way as they used to. The only one I'm really willing to get rid of would be Kira and Braedon. Mainly because I feel like they are useless and just there as romantic leads, they had potential but haven't really lived up to it. And we can't sacrifice Liam because he is bringing a whole new thing to the story with his PTSD and being Scott's first baby.
More +
Flag
They just need to tone it down a bit. Plus they need to meet the expectations for this Seasons finale, Scott vs Peter, showing his True Alpha power, killing, etc. If not then next season may be the last.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
There won't be a 4B but there will be a 5A and 5B. After the finale, Teen Wolf won't be back until next season.
Flag
i thought theyr going to do the same as season 3-but not on all seasons ah!-interseting,thanks for that,others are being vague!
Flag
There is no 4b...
Flag
s04-13-24
Flag
Is Danny a berzerker?
Flag
He could be, but he's not tall enough. Those guys are huge!
Flag
I don't think Scott's tall enough to be a berzerker either
I mean, is anyone? ;)
Flag
That would be interesting, they said he would be in this season right. Maybe Kate took him because he knew so much about them?
Flag
And can people just shut up and stop complaining about how Scott got his butt handed to him? The writers wants to make Scott look weak until the finale where he breaks free and unleashes his true might.
Flag
We've seen Scott's ass handed to him many times that it's owed & obligated for Scott to unleash and KILL this season finale. If he doesn't then season 4 was a fail and if he does then we better not see him get squashed anymore for seasons to come.. it's only right.
Flag
DEREK IS NOT DYING GUYS C'MON, HE'S BASICALLY THE BATMAN OF THE SHOW.
Flag
It also is a good prediction that Lydia could be screaming for Braedan, but if you've seen the promo, Derek is the one who's in danger as he goes unconcious, so it's very unlikely.
Flag
Don't they do a Derek unconscious sneak peak before every season finale? At this point it is like a right of passage.
Flag
My prediction: Styles, Sheriff Stylinksi, Lydia, Deaton, Parrish, Liam, Mason, and Satomi and the pack are all heading to Mexico to save Scott, Peter is driving Malia to Mexico and is manipulating her into killing Kate, they all reach the temple and a war breaks down, Peter is hiding watching the whole thing, Scott breaks free unleashing his true alpha powers, after everyone is hurt and injured, Peter scoops in for the kill, Satomi sacrifices herself to save Scott, Peter becomes the alpha again.
Flag
That would be awesome. I don't want Peter to die. I would also love it if Parrish went with the gang because Stilinski has to stay behind or something and he doesn't want them going alone. Deaton should go for sure, if Lydia isn't going he is the only one that will figure out what happened to Scott.
Flag
We already know the sheriff stilenski, Lydia, Mason are still in Beacon Hills from an article that was published. Unknown if deaton, parrish or liam will make the trip to Mexico. Doubt Satomi will.
Flag
Agreeing with other people that I'm thinking Lydia was screaming for Braeden and not Derek. The better question is, how many more girlfriends does Derek need to have killed before he becomes a cool angst driven CGI monster? (I'm sorry Derek, but your man pain is too delicious).

Also, this episode felt so...scrambled. Introducing all this new stuff and just kind of ignoring it. No one mentions Lydia showing up screaming in Derek's face looking not her best, Eichen house apparently keeps monsters on ice, and third eye dude will probably never show up again and we don't see how Lydia rescues Deaton, or acknowledge the fact he's part time monster hunting now, don't get explained how putting on a skull turns you into a berserker or gives you crazy powers, or how Kate knows how to do it, money problem that's been simmering for the whole season instantly solved, nbd, and it just goes on. I love you, Teen Wolf, but this was definitely not you at your best.
Flag
And.....the money problems weren't solved. The McCall's bills are still there and the Sheriff still has the MRI, CT scan and the hospital bill to pay for. Someone else mentioned that the eye dude could easily be in Season 5. They haven't shown it a lot, but Deaton and his sister had a conversation about it and he also went to Japan and got the plant for the Nogitsune. They usually set stuff up for the next season at the end of the old one.
Flag
To be fair, the beserker thing was explained in 3b when Chris and Derek were doing jail time. But Lydia and Deaton were definitely glossed ovrv
Flag
Question: How probable is it that Lydia was screaming Braeden's death rather than Derek's? I know this is just my wishful thinking but still...I can't help but wonder.

Flag
Derek already knows that he is dying, so it doesn't make sense that Lydia would tell him a second time. I hope Derek stays, too. I'm really liking his and Scott's relationship.
Flag
I think that Derek's character has so much potential on the show. I also love his relationship with Scott. They're like brothers. But other than everything he can teach Scott, I just think there's a lot that can happen for Derek himself.

I got the impression that banshees can't control who they scream at, so if the scream was for Derek, I'm betting that Lydia couldn't help it. She can't control it. It overwhelms her until she's basically forced to scream. Still, I'm hoping that the scream is for Braeden. Derek has become a favorite of mine this season.
Flag
I liked this episode for the most part. I was so mad about Scott and Kira getting their asses handed to them. (And I'm glad Price finally admitted to something wrong going on in an episode). Kira had just exhibited her powers a few minutes before Kate and the Berserker came. And yet, while under attack, she doesn't even try to use her powers to help defend herself? I'm not buying it. And Scott...wow, that was terrible. After he wolfed out, I never expected him to get his ass beat like this again. I can't say I expected him to win every fight that he was in. Never that. But I did expect Scott to do serious damage to his opponents from now on. To see Kate get the best of him made me so angry. I don't think that's realistic for the show at this point. It would have made much more sense for Scott to beat the crap out of Kate and then for the Berserker to come to her rescue.

It also bothered me that whatever Lydia said/did to/with Dr. Deaton was shown off screen. I would have preferred to see this scene rather than Scott and Kira's Star Wars exchange.

Now, on to what I liked and loved in this episode.

I am really liking how they're handling Liam's transition into wolfdom. He's a young, vulnerable kid who is suffering a severe case of PTSD. I was hoping that we'd see Liam struggle a little. I didn't want it to come too easy to him. But this has gone beyond even what I'd hoped. The sadness on his face when Mason was leaving made me like Liam so much. And his hallucinations are so scary. I can't help but feeling bad for him. And when I feel bad for a character, naturally I root for them even more.

I loved Parrish trying to rescue Chris Argent. Sure, the speech was a little cheesy but seeing the pain that Argent was in really made it worth it. And even though they had that music playing along with the cheesy speech, Parrish and Argent didn't instantly/effortlessly yank the iron bar out.

So many reasons to love Melissa McCall. She is one of the best tv moms ever. I really enjoyed her scene with Scott. So simple yet so poignant.

I wonder if Malia is desperate enough to kill Kate to find out who her mom is. It must be very tempting. (Imagine if she succeeds in killing Kate? After the way a TRUE ALPHA let Kate get the best of him, it wouldn't be right if Malia killed her in my opinion. Scott needs to take care of Kate himself to redeem himself a little).

If Derek dies, I'm going to truly be sad. Please tell me he'll come close to death but still make it. I never thought I could like Derek as much as I do. But I do!!! And I think Scott still needs him. (And not just for his apartment lol)

Next week, I would like to see Scott getting free somehow and kicking ass all over the place. The way they handled him this week was all wrong and they need to make up for that.

More+
Flag
2 things.

1st. I am not entirely convinced that Lydia's scream was meant for Derek. Remember he didn't answer the door alone..

2nd.. Scott was pretty softened up by the Berserkers so I am ok with Kate coming in to finish him off..
Flag
The scream might have been more about what would happen later at the loft. Agree with your latter statement, I also think he feared they would kill Kira if he resisted, so he held back.
Flag
Unless there was someone else hiding in the back room, either Braeden or Derek's toast.
Flag
Ummm... Didn't Derek say earlier that the Banshee don't just scream for danger but specifically for death?
Flag
DOES ANYONE HAVE A LINK FOR THIS INTERVIEW AT THE END???
Flag
It's on the teen wolf show page on MTV, yo!
Flag
What a pathetic episode. Scott plays a poodle again. In the entire fight against Kate he didn't even turn his eyes red. This episode was like "The coyote and the road runner" where the coyote lose only because the director decides for him to lose, not because of any reasonable explanation. Here Scott was the coyote and that is why he lost so easy.
Flag
He was afraid to wolf out because in the last episode he almost turned to a monster. The Berserker attacked him first. So yeah, Kate just finished him. And he was worried about Kira. Oh, and Kate was a werewolf hunter as a human and she is even stronger as a werejaguar.
Yes, he could've tried a little more, that was too easy, but there are reasons why he lost the battle.
Flag
I am kind of disappointed that no one has said #PIZZANA yet. The Secret Circle seems all but forgotten at this point. R.I.P.
Flag
Staff
You saw the .gif right?
Flag
I did, I just meant someone in the comments area. It was awesome that you put it in the review. :)
Flag
Staff
Ha I know, it's becoming increasingly clear that The Secret Circle will only be remembered by a secret circle of us
Flag
@jasonmelvil - you are right... Yay FAYE!!! Forgot about her... Sorry... I did like her in TSC but then she went to TVD where of course they made her into a lame character (she may have improved afterwards or in The Originals but I stopped watching)
Flag
ludoTV how can you not mention Phoebe Tiomkin (probably misspelled her name)?

She was the biggest highlight on that show...
Flag
To be fair The Secret Circle is massively forgettable other than for Chris Zylka's v-necks, Pizzana and Price's photo recaps. Everything else was dire.
Flag
The way that she said the deer thing was hilarious!! I'm glad you put it in the recap!!
Flag
LOL, no... with the way tv these days just reboots everything they'll probably reboot that show too in a couple of years.
Flag
Maybe it's just my inner anthropology nerd, but why are they all "Mexico! Mexico! Mexico!" (yeah I know Naguals are Meso-American) when they keep showing us NORSE bear warriors? There's no other Norse mythology popping up, or Greek for that matter (if my theory is correct and Parrish is a Phoenix). Teen Wolf is usually pretty good about saturating episodes with themes from the culture that they're about to shit on/entertain us with.
Flag
They don't even get their mythology right... An Aztec temple in one of the border states of Mexico? Yeah right! The Aztec Empire was located in the middle of the country and the location they picked (Northern part, probably Sonora, Tijuana, Monterrey or Chihuahua if they are that close to California that they make it in less than a day on car) would certainly not be part of it.
Flag
In television's nonsense logic defense, I thought they said it was actually a church, w/ what appears to be an aztec temple in the basement...so...neo-aztec cultists built it? That's what I'm sticking with.
Flag
I'm pretty sure that it was an aztec temple that had a church built on top of it, not a church having a secret temple below. But I do agree with the whole "Why pick Berserkers if you're going to focus on Mexican/Mesoamerican mythology?
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members