A Teen Wolf Community
Monday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television

First let me say I've been shipping stiles and Lydia since the first season, but I've come to the realization that their relationship probably wouldn't succeed. Let me explain, and please remember this is only MY opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

Spoilers, so beware.

Codependent relationships rarely last:
Both Lydia, and Stiles are in hard places right now, so if they got together it seems like they would be relying on one another for stability. I'm not saying for a relationship to work each partner needs to be 100% stable however it seems clear to me that neither Lydia, or Stiles are stable enough to support anyone. Even though Stiles does a good job at hiding it I think it's safe to say he's insecure, about his place within the group, and now about his sanity. Lydia is struggling with her own problems also. There's some tension between her, and her mother that needs to be resolved, and ever since Jackson left she's become more distant with everyone. She's also dealing with her banshee powers, and how she can continue to have a normal life with them.

They have an uneven social status:
Teen Wolf does a great job of avoiding the high school popularity cliché, but it's clear Scott, and Stiles were not that popular while Lydia was quite popular. I don't think Stiles cares too much about being popular, but Lydia does. She even hides how intelligent she is because she thinks she won't be accepted. Stiles on the other hand thinks Lydia shouldn't hide it, and there lies the problem. Lydia is willing to do almost anything to be popular while Stiles would rather be unpopular and accepted. Typically popular people don't date unpopular people because it's not accepted. I'll admit this point is less important because for the most part Lydia, and Stiles have the same friends now, but that wasn't always the case.

Their best friends used to date, but they since broke up:
Scott and Stiles are like brothers, and Allison and Lydia are pretty close, so group dates would be a total no-no. Could you imagine the awkwardness if Scott/Kira, Allison/Isaac, and Stiles/Lydia went on a group date? Anyway I realize that's a pretty small argument, but the biggest problem is loyalty to their individual friend. An example would be if Scott and Allison got in some sort of argument, which feels like it will happen sooner or later, about dating. Lydia because Allison is her close friend will feel compelled to stand behind Allison, and Stiles will feel the same way with Scott. If your close friends can't get along it's going to be a hard relationship. I realize this is a what if scenario, and it's possible Scott, and Allison will never get to that point however it's possible.

Stiles is more into Lydia than she is into to him:
If a relationship is going to work both parties should to be equally in love, or just like each other about the same. Stiles is clearly head over heels in love with Lydia, and I'm positive she even knows that. Lydia however never reciprocates any of Stiles' affection, so one can assume she's not interested in Stiles. Relationships are hard, so if only one of them is fighting to succeed in a relationship how will they stay together?

Again this is just my two cents, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter. Am I completely off base? I really love both Stiles and Lydia, so if you think there's a way please let me know in the comments. I've also included a poll at the bottom in case you can't leave a comment, but you still want to contribute to the discussion.

poll
68 Comments
Comments (68)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I honestly don't want to care if they are together or not I just want to see them on my screen and if there's malia every episode it's not possible as much as I'd like so that's why she better stay in the background lol :))
Flag
yes
Flag
I understand what your saying but you have to remember there really growing up. Its less about who you talk to and how popular you are and more to do with being with the ones your love. I think Stiles and Lydia need each other. Lydia needs someone to believe in her and her powers where as Stiles needs someone to save him from himself. Especially if Stiles turns into a werewolf. Also Lydia just needs to date a good guy who cares about her. Even if they break up she needs to see that not all guys are bad. I think there relationship would help everyone mature and grown together.
Flag
"First let me say I've been shipping stiles and Lydia since the first season, but I've come to the realization that their relationship probably wouldn't succeed right now."

I agree with all your points, but with that little specification, because:

1) Codependent relationships rarely last: that's true, but I don't think they would have a codependent relationship. They're growing up so much, that they don't seem teenagers anymore, and I think it would be reflected on their (romantic) relationships. I agree on that right now they're in dark places and need to deal with their problems before think of any thing else (for instance, getting into a relationship).

2) They have an uneven social status. I don't think Stiles cares too much about being popular, but Lydia does. Lydia is willing to do almost anything to be popular: nope, that was season 1 Lydia. She's not that shallow anymore.

3) Their best friends used to date, but they since broke up: who need friends? My romantic relationship are my romantic relationship, it doesn't include my friends necessarilly. Hangouts with my friends and my BF are accessory.

4) Stiles is more into Lydia than she is into to him: well, since Stiles is going through all this Nogitsune thing, I think the importance of his love life is now ridiculous (at least for me, but I think he'd agree with me xD). Besides, now that he has had a few more love 'experiences' (that virgin from 3a, then bisexual girl, now whatever he has/had with Malia ¿?) maybe he has
discovered that there's more world beyond Lydia. And I'm sure that Lydia is experiencing a growing feeling of caring about Stiles that will become love eventually.

More+
Flag
I actually watched the start of season 3 again and saw the bit where Stiles was having a panic attack and Lydia kissed him to calm him down. I really liked that scene and because of it i can see them together
Flag
I remember that scene also, and it was great.
Flag
That was a really sweet seen and maybe in the future they will get together.
Flag
I actually want to see Stiles and Lydia getting together more now than I did in S1 for a few simple reasons: Stiles had this ground worshiping obsession with Lydia Martin that was likely mostly sexual but also had to do with his insecurities and him expecting that she would turn him down so while he pursued her, he never really tried to get with her in any real way because he knew she would turn him down. She was placed on a pedestal to him, and because of that he couldn't get hurt by any other girl -there never was any other girl for him in S1 or S2 really. And she was only concerned with popularity and herself in S1, so had they gotten together it would have been her using him in some fashion. But as it's been pointed out, she had her "fall" from the top in S2, and all the insecurities that came along with that and her feelings for Jackson, at that point they started to see each other as people, not some dork who isn't worth her time (for the most part) and not some insanely popular goddess (again for the most part). Stiles sees through Lydia, he knows she's a genius, he believes in her when even she doesn't believe in herself (ie. the buzzing and sensing Barrow at the school or when she is compelled to scream because she can't sort out what her senses are telling her), he's always there for her. I would say in S3, they're a lot closer to equals, so you lose the focus on his romantic dreams because he's beginning to find his confidence in his goofiness and where he fits in in the group and he somewhat lets the fantasy go while he starts pursuing other people so you start to see them build as friends. You see her with Aidan but you also see how she trusts Stiles to always work it out, and how she decides she doesn't want to date bad boys anymore. While I think she might have some feelings for him that might be highlighted with him being possessed, I don't think it's enough for a relationship. Yet.

I like their friendship, and while it may be mean, I think seeing a fight between Scott and Alison and having Stiles and Lydia choose sides would be kind of neat, a blast from the past, showing that while they've grown and they've experienced all these things, they're still teenagers and their still loyal to their friends, so for me that's not a big reason against. I think that it will be because of their friendship that they will get together, I want Lydia to date a few guys, or be single for a while and figure out who she is, and I definitely want Stiles to date someone other than Lydia while they explore their friendship and get closer and closer. I think after that point when they've really found themselves that's when they should get together, I'm certain it will happen, and I'm totally rooting for it. They'll be the whole 'I love you' whereas Stiles whom we will lose almost all signs of his feelings for her will be like 'I've always loved you.'

So in summary of my mini novel lol, I do want them to get together, and I think they will, but I don't want it to be right now, I want them to figure themselves out first, because those 2 are in it for the long haul.
More+
Flag
I like your thinking, and Thanks you for sharing you thoughts :)
Flag
From eonline spoiler chat:
Where does Teen Wolf go from here?! Please tell me Stiles isn't going to die, I'm hearing rumors!
Silly, silly TV viewers. Don't you know rumors are for kids? Or, um, fans on Tumblr and Twitter? "It's about dealing with are we going to be OK with that if [Stiles] does [die] and the fallout of this evil spirit being in him and what is the consequence of that," Holland Roden spills of the rest of the season at Guess' Fall 2014 Road to Nashville collection at New York Fashion Week. But will this evil spirit squash any chances of a Lydia-Stiles romance for the time being? Roden teases, "Lydia likes bad boys, so now that Stiles is one…dot, dot, dot."

I wonder if there's anything significant to this quote by Holland Roden or if she's just teasing.
Flag
Even if she's not teasing, all she's saying is that the characters may be forced to talk about the possibility that Stiles may die.
Flag
I wouldn't mind them getting together once they've left high school. They need time to mature into who they will be as adults. Right now, too many things are happening to them that will affect their inner selves. Romantic relationships during such a transitional time usually don't last, since each of the partners are different people from who they end up becoming.
Flag
They definitely shouldn't.

It was kinda cute at the beginning when he worshiped the ground she walked on and she ignored him to the best of her abilities.
But they actually got to know each other and I find their friendship beautiful. I find Stiles's admiration of who she is and how strong and smart she is way more appealing than his obsession over her.
And I like how she values him and at the same time doesn't take any shit from him.

They could be one of the most wonderful friendships on TV ever. If they are not destroyed by senseless romance attempt
Flag
I think that in this season the angle if the relationship will be the friendship and Lydia be some kind of his anchor. She will be there for help that is was Stiles needs more.

In the promo, I think that he is kissing Lydia. I think that Lydia will be able to help Stiles by entering his dreams (Inception style). Maybe she will enter In Stiles first dream in Anchors and stop him to enter through that door. And by extention closing the door in his mind. I think that she will be able to do it like the way she interacted with Peter in the dreams/hallucinations.

I used to be a hardcore Stydia, but I think that after Season 2, Lydia lost the opportunity (sorry Lydia, what an error). Then in season 3A she choose Aiden. Stiles has grow, is very smart, loyal, defends his friend,etc. IDK why Lydia always see him like some "kid" (IDK what other word to say). And I think that for me the relationship lose their momentum.

But is the relationship has a great built-up probably will work again for me. I have to say that I'm very surprise by Scira (and I like this relationship a lot). Maybe the same could happen again with Stydia.

More+
Flag
Ever since Lydia became Banshee, they lost chemistry. So no.
Flag
Staff
I've been fiercely on Team Stydia for awhile now, though I think it should be something that happens much later, after Stiles has developed as a person, and after Lydia has figured out her own problems and how to deal with this card that she's been dealt. Even if Stiles wasn't currently possessed, I would still say they both have a considerable amount of growing they need to do before their relationship would be anything close to successful. Right now, I think they both need to be there for each other, in a way only really good friends can be, but the romantic aspects of their relationship—should they happen—should be a ways down the line.
Flag
I've wanted to see them together since season 1 but since they've become good friends, it's not a must. I now see that they can just go on as good friends. BUT I do want Stiles to be happy with SOMEONE. I want him to hook up already.
Flag
Same here. I agree with you. That's my point too.
Flag
I really do want to see them together. Not necessarily in a long term relationship, but I definitely think they should be more than friends. They could hook up every now and again and that would still keep me happy, haha. I just think their chemistry is way to awesome not to do something with.
Flag
I love their chemistry. I think they'd make a great couple. Maybe Stiles' being ill (possessed lol) right now will make Lydia realize how much she cares for him... If not, I'll be content to see them remain good friends.
Flag
Sometimes I think I might want to see them as friends rather than a couple. They could have that one awkward hook up and then be best friends throughout the show. I don't know, I'm torn. Haha.
Flag
If they could only be friends, I wouldn't mind :) It's kind of a win-win.
Flag
Potential SPOILERS AVERT YOUR EYES!!!!! So I read something somewhere where Jeff Davis was talking about them and saying something about a more adult love. I think they wont get together for a long time, each having different relationships in the mean time and just growing more as people who can support themselves. I am all for them growing as friends first because I believe that will build a basis for a relationship much further down the road.
Flag
Sounds great!
Flag
So here's my opinion about these two together: I don't see them as something else. It was cute at the beginning in season 1 "unpopular Stiles digs super popular Lydia". In season 3 this changes because of the amazing development Lydia had (besides other things), it's amazing how much she changed, anyway, back to the subject, i don't think they should date or something. It would be like "same old Stiles, still likes Lydia" i would like him to be with other girls, to grow up and develop (not in a bad way and not the girl from the rave party that was kind of a one shot thing, i think) Lydia and Stiles friendship though is something im very interesting in. I
Flag
This a long post. I'm sorry for that. Like someone else said I think the popularity point loss strength because of drama Lydia went through in season 2 made her lose popularity. I remember Alison and Stiles mentioning her episodes labeled as the crazy chick. In weird way I think that's why she started hanging out with Scott and Stiles' "click."

Aside from that your arguments were pretty sound. I can't say I wanted Stiles and Lydia in season 1, because Lydia was an asshole back then. People forget she was ready to drop Jackson for Scott after he became the star of the lacrosse team and Jackson said Lydia cheat on him a few times. I felt Stiles' crush was sexual on his part in that season. Season 2 developed Lydia's character and showed us a human being I grew to like the character, but again I didn't see Stiles/Lydia. Lydia was clearly head over heels for Jackson at that point and I preferred the chemistry Stiles had with Erica better. If Erica was still on the show I would be rooting for her to get with Stiles, especially when she revealed she had a crush on him and she seemed like he was the only guy who didn't acknowledge her new sex appeal after getting the bite. 3a is the first time when I was pro Stiles-Lydia. I think that is because I loved the dynamic they built.

With Jackson it was sexual and she dumbed herself down for him, but with Stiles she doesn't hide her intelligence, so we get witty back and forth between them. They were the smart ones of the group who didn't let love drama effect their teamwork, like Scott-Alison or Isaac-Alison etc. If they got together in 3a I would have been for it, but now in 3b I realize I liked their back-forth because its platonic at this point. Stiles gets Lydia and Lydia gets Stiles. They help each other out when they need it if their other friends aren't around. Its obvious Stiles likes Lydia I don't believe she feels the same way. Take Aiden pointed out Stiles like her and she tried to rationalize why he kept her picture. Lydia is smart. She knows Stiles likes her, but she doesn't acknowledge it because she likes what they have. If she doesn't acknowledge it than things don't get weird and they stay in the same place she is comfortable with. Lydia enjoys the fact she can be so close to a guy and not have it be sexual or romantic. It even be possible that Stiles is a crutch for her as well. He provides the comfort and mental stimulation Lydia could want in a guy without fear of getting hurt like with Jackson. Aiden and her one night stands during the summer are just to satisfy her sexual (damn I feel like I used that word too many times) needs. She can end those when she wants and not get hurt. She divide the role of boyfriend into two. Emotional attachment is Stiles job and physical aspects to any guy she thinks hot.

Stiles on some level recognizes Lydia wants to be friends, so he is looking at other girls. 3a he went to a party to hookup with a girl. When he got kissed by a girl at the party he immediately followed. He's horny and isn't as committed to Lydia as he was in season 1. Stiles fears he'll shot down his dream is gone. I don't think he's ready to let go of the dream yet. He's made peace with him not getting together with Lydia, but he wants to keep the dream alive and feel there is a possibility there. If he asks her out and she turns him down the dream is gone. Both are at that place where they don't want to openly acknowledge it for fear of messing up their dynamic and hopes.
More+
Flag
I voted no I don't think it would work I do know that they need each other and I still believe that stiles Scott and Alison need there anchors to help them shut their doors. I see the relationship as purely friendship.
Flag
Romance was really put on the back burner in the first half of season 3. It's just starting to creep back in again, but the writers are good about not letting it impede or overshadow the story or characters. I think Lydia and Stiles will end up dating at some point, but now is not the time, and we all know that. There's way to much going on that's pulling focus, and the characters are written like actual people, so their focus is elsewhere, as it would be.
Flag
Their relationship has gone towards the platonic direction this season. A couple of episodes ago, Lydia saw Stiles dancing with a girl and had a pretty neutral reaction. And to be honest, I like that not every person in that group is paired up with each other. It's nice to see a boy and girl have a friendship that isn't fueled by "nice guy" or "nice girl" motivations. Let them be good friends. Stiles pining for Lydia was getting weird and sad after a while.
Flag
I just wanna point out that Lydia and Scott are just friends, im fact I love their friendship!!!
Flag
True. What I meant is that everyone in the group doesn't need to be paired up with someone else fromt the same group.
Flag
Oh yeah absolutely!
Flag
I love their friendship too. They've come a long way since that awkward double date at the bowling alley! :)
Flag
I think Style's dad would appreciate the two of them together, as he'd have to shell out less for missing cotton rich socks.
Flag
Don't want them to force it of course, but I do want them to try if they both have feelings for each other (I think they do, but who really knows?). Now, when does that happen? I don't know, maybe next season or even the one after that, but it definitely shouldn't happen this season no matter what happens with the Nogitsune.

Either way, nice post and well thought out. Hopefully we'll get some idea of how Lydia actually feels for Stiles in these later episodes and what the chances actually are of them dating.
Flag
Thank you.
Flag
Well, let me just say, I think at this point it is pretty much off the table. I mean, how horrible would Lydia feel if she decides she is ready to pursue something real (and I think in her head that is what holds her back, she is still dealing with the Jackson aftermath and still in the distraction zone, and she is conflicted about Aiden and if he really is a bad guy or not...as we all are, I think that she probably views Stiles as a serious boyfriend type at this point) and it is weirdly the confidence of the Nogistune that she is pursuing, and the complex that will develop in her that she is only seemingly attracted to evil.

I think the group dynamic is less of a concern, like I think everyone will stay out of whatever tiffs that Allison and Scott may have just in establishing their boundaries because, well, who would get between them. Scott would stop Isaac and Isaac kind of knows Allison could still kick his ass and Kira seems to have a good sense of knowing her place at this stage. Stiles would probably just back Scott, but he and Allison are friends too. Lydia would have an issue because I think she has some supernatural pack loyalty to Scott, for any number of reasons, that they are both supernatural, that they trust each other, or even that they are sort of pack by the fact that they were both bitten by the same Alpha which awoke their supernatural powers and she has basic girl loyalty to Allison.

They are both too damaged at this point to really think about it and Stiles likely needs a little experience which seems to be opening up to him to just know he is fine guy to date and not just a goof ball. I do vaguely envision sometime in Season 5 when all this stuff (and apparently some banshee drama that will be at issue in Season 4) they will both be better and then Lydia like bursts into the locker room for whatever reason and catches a glimpse of Stiles and the tables get turned. I actually think that is an important dynamic in the relationship that once he is totally comfortable being her friend and partner in crime and past the crush, she starts to develop her own feelings.
More+
Flag
Very well put. Thank you :)
Flag
I don't know if I want them to or not. Before this week's episode I was hoping that there would at least be a scene where evil Stiles seduces Lydia, and one where normal Stiles wakes up with Lydia and acts like an idiot because he thinks it's a dream. But that seems less likely to happen now. It looks like Stiles is going to be evil and/or sick until he gets well again.

I don't really buy your arguments against it, except maybe the last one, and that was more of a season 1 thing. We don't see a lot of evidence of it anymore. He seems to be over it, and she seems to really care about him. The only thing that we haven't seen is her being sexually attracted to him, but that doesn't seem like a big stretch anymore.

I read a season 1 interview with Dylan O'Brien that said that he has discussed Stiles with Jeff Davis and there are a number of things they agree about, like "he can never have a girlfriend, because it's too funny that he doesn't". It may have been funny for a while, but I don't think it is anymore. Especially since they're not using his single status for anything anymore, other than to flirt with the Sterek shippers.

More+
Flag
I feel that all of your points hold weight, except for the second one (about popularity). Season 2 Lydia had a major meltdown and everyone basically thought she was crazy. She's lost a lot of her popularity since Season 1. And as far as I can remember they haven't really shown her has being popular since the whole "found in the woods naked" thing. Even the beginning of 3B's "guess who's no longer the crazy one" kind of highlighted her shift in status. So an imbalance in social status isn't really a issue.

Also I'm not sure if the whole taking sides thing is that much of a possibility because Scott and Allison have been very mature and accepting of each other moving on so far.

I think the biggest obstacle standing in their way of getting together is Lydia. She's just no there yet. Last season and this season Lydia has been growing as a individual, learning to care about someone other than herself, having real friendships, and being comfortable with who/what she is. Stiles is already pretty comfortable just being himself (I don't think he's more insecure than any other teenager).

Right now I think the best thing for the both of them is their friendship. It allows Lydia to see him for who he is and not what he looks like (her choices in guys is kinda one note "muscular and blond"). Even though let's be real Dylan O'Brien is gorgeous and in great shape. And for Lydia to get pass her hang-ups about Stiles goofiness (its already been highlighted some with the bear trap scene and the follow your instincts scene they shared).
More+
Flag
Good question and I find I can't decide... There is definitely an imbalance with Lydia being more grown up (they're teens and women tend to be ahead of guys of the same age, not always but often), more good-looking, more popular and wealthier. Stiles has a huge crush on her while Lydia sees him as this nice sweet guy who is a good friend... Lydia goes for the hunky bad boys (Jackson, now the 'evil' twin)... So all in all, considering the hormonal immaturity that governs teenagers' decision-making, I would doubt Lydia & Stiles would be a realistic couple at this moment... A kiss perhaps in a moment of intense emotion.... Or perhaps when they grow up if they both survive the madness that is Beacon Hills?
Hot girl falls for nerd/geek worked in Chuck but I think it is rare even if we like to indulge in this wishful thinking...
Flag
you have to realize that lydia is almost a different person now. her friends are the main cast and her dating one of them is not really going to hurt her popularity in any way, as she already spends time with him. sometimes people need others and if thats what brings them together than so be it, i don't think that should be a negative. also i don't think the fact that their bestfriends use to date is a problem. i mean if isaac can be with the girl scot was in love with, still in love with, than i don't think it matters in this group. sure stiles maybe a lot more into her than she is into him, but that happens more than you think. i also believe that she likes him more than she lets on, thats just the feeling i get when watching them.
Flag
Thanks for the comment, and it's very insightful.

"you have to realize that lydia is almost a different person now. her friends are the main cast and her dating one of them is not really going to hurt her popularity in any way, as she already spends time with him"

Yes, I agree Lydia, and Stiles have grown and changed since the show's start. It's true that Stiles and Lydia have the same friends now, but this wasn't always the case. Maybe THIS group of her friends wouldn't mind her dating Stiles, but she must have other friends in the popular crowd who wouldn't accept it. She had friends before Allison, Isaac, etc. Jackson, and her were popular(IMO) The point I make is I think Lydia would choose popularity over Stiles.

"sometimes people need others and if thats what brings them together than so be it, i don't think that should be a negative"

I'm not saying people can't need each other in a relationship however looking where Stiles, and Lydia are right now, neither in a good place, if they got together they would be proping each other up. What happens when one gets really bad and can't tow the line anymore? Neither is strong enough to support the other in a desperate situation(IMO)

"i don't think the fact that their bestfriends use to date is a problem. i mean if isaac can be with the girl scot was in love with, still in love with, than i don't think it matters in this group"

That assumes Scott IS ok with Allison, and Isaac which isn't clear yet. He threw Isaac into a wall a few times if you remember, and I know he wasn't trying to hurt him. It was Scott trying to he's NOT ok with it, but not wanting to hurt Isaac , or Allison emotionally.

"sure stiles maybe a lot more into her than she is into him, but that happens more than you think. i also believe that she likes him more than she lets on, thats just the feeling i get when watching them"

I'm sure it happens a lot, but does it ever work out? If both sides aren't in 100% how could it work? Lydia is beautiful, popular, smart, and even though she's only in high school relatively sucessful. The point is she's desireable, and guys like Aiden are after her. How can Stiles compete if she's not as in love with him as he is with her? I think Lydia respects, and loves, not necessarily romantic love, Stiles, but is it enough to keep them together in tough times?

Just thought I'd expand on my thoughts a little, and again it's all just my oppinion.
More +
Flag
Follow this Show
Members