A Teen Wolf Community
Monday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television
Ok, so the image of Meredith in the old picture has been nagging me ever since I viewed the episode.

The walls don't look white in the picture, meaning the photograph can't be brand new. Yet Meredith looks the same, meaning either that the room was repainted quite recently (not impossible) or, my crazypants theory which just won't leave me alone:

Meredith was a lot older than she looked, or maybe she wasn't quite there at all...

What do we really know about Meredith, other than the fact that she was locked up in Eichen house because of her powers (and then some)? We never met or heard about her family, did we?

I can't help but wonder if she actually died a long time ago, but returned/couldn't help but hang around because of her Banshee powers...

Did I just dream this, or was the soundproofed "Banshee-room" at the lakehouse Lydia's grandmother's? Because a part of me can't quite dislodge the idea that Meredith was in fact Lydia's dead grandmother...

Or maybe just another Banshee hanging out with gran, what do I know.

What do YOU think? Why was Meredith hanging at the lakehouse at some unknown moment in the past?
53 Comments
Comments (51)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I feel bad for meredith. Shes been the punching bag for 2 generations of martins. I wonder if she wants revenge or not. Her motives arent very clear at the moment.
Flag
She is the Benefactor.
Flag
NOW we know. But we had no idea when I posted this.
And ok, so she wasn't Lydia's grandmother, but we still don't know if she's older than she looks - the timeline of "she was at Eichen House, THEN my grandmother drove her insane, she spent a year in hospital and then stayed in Eichen House" is pretty vague and implies that she wasn't exactly a high schooler anymore, at least.
Also, while Lydia's gran may have caused her to be harmed, if she was already in Eichen House I hardly think she can take ALL the blame for driving her insane... :p

And I want SOME credit for saying there was "something" about Meredith. ;)
Flag
You deserve all the credit. Even I just thought Meredith was weird and that was about it. You make some important points, there are so many questions now.
Flag
I don't think Meredith was Lydia's grandmother because Lydia showed her mom the picture and she said "Meredith Walker?" (Walker, right?) not "mom?" or "your grandmother?"
Flag
This discussion was posted before Lydia's conversation with her mom...so it was a pretty decent theory at the time that Meredith might be Lydia's grandma (or related somehow).

It really bothers me that after Mrs. Martin said "Meredith Walker?" the show cut to another scene and we didn't find out just how the Martins know Meredith. I was hoping to finally getting some answers.
Flag
me too. and i have a feeling we'll never get answers about her either
Flag
I'm going to be so annoyed if they don't give us some answers soon
Flag
I'm kindoff thinking along those lines...

I have 2 theories... One, like you said, is that Meredith is indeed much older than she appeared, and that she is in fact Lydia's grandmother. Not in a ghosty way ofc, because all of our other BH residents know her and converse with her. Maybe she found a witchdoctor and had her youth restored (we all know how vain these old bats can be)... or maybe it's just a Banshee power, who knows (certainly not the we, the loyal TW fans)

Or maybe Meredith is related to Lydia in some way. I first thought that her Banshee powers came from her mother's side, but what do you know, they're actually a gift from daddy (you can't get a car for all your birthdays, am i right?).. so maybe there's an uncle or an aunt out there...

The only thing bothering me about the first theory is that it just doesn't seem to fit with the 'suicide in the looney-bin' thing...
So either 'Dick' is actually an assassin, who's been waiting a ridiculous amount of time to kill a supe and get paid for it..
or, we need a new theory...

Only 5(??) more eps to go, so I guess we'll have to wait and see (which i'm not that great at btw..)
More+
Flag
After epiosde 7 this is exacty what I said!! Teen Wolf minds think alike ;D
Flag
Meredith being Lydia's grandma is a good theory but Lydia showed Meredith's picture to her mom and her mom knew who she was and maybe in a "she saw her before hanging with Lydia's grandma" way.
Flag
Far out, you are psychic or something! I thought you wrote this after todays ep, but nope you're just ahead of the curve.

Apologies if I've just not realised this, but how often in the past has Lydia's grandmother been brought up? I felt like this was a new development this episode, but clearly I haven't been paying enough attention.
Flag
You must be feeling damn snazzy right now for figuring it out! I would never have made that leap, my puny brain obviously wasn't capable.
Flag
I've been plagued by Meredith-thoughts since the episode as well. I didn't consider that Meredith was Lydia's grandmother. But I did think Meredith is somehow related to Lydia and that Lydia possibly has other banshee family members.

Flag
I think Meredith could be an unknown cousin.
Flag
I don't think Meredith would be Lydia's grandmother because they look nothing alike whatsoever. And wouldn't Lydia know what her grandmother looked like?
Flag
So, I was going with the obvious initially, that several times Holland Roden (who accidentally spoils more than any other cast member) mentions it skips a generation. So, maybe Lydia's grandmother was a banshee and was training other banshees (i am presuming Lydia's grandmother is dead just because it appears Mrs. Martin is the one selling the house). So either Meredith was just either a banshee that she stumbled upon or maybe she could have been Lydia's cousin. Say Lydia's grandmother (I am presuming maternal side of the family so I can't imagine what her name is) maybe had some fun in the 60s, maybe had a baby and gave it up for adoption and maybe just kept tabs on everything and then that baby grew up and had Meredith and maybe Lydia has some other cousins who are further along in their development, so that was why she reached out to Meredith before she died.

Flag
I really like your theory Lydia needs someone to "Yoda" her and maybe that could be a cousin that she doesn't know of yet.
Flag
I'm imagining an older cousinlike in her thirties who checked on her after she was bitten but tried to stay out of it. Even if say she was trained by grandmother but grandmother was horrible and maybe forced it.
Flag
Yes grandma could have pushed to far and assentionaly broke her brain. Being a banshee seems to take a mental tole on a person rather than a physical tole the body like a warewolf
Flag
grandma? i don't think so. The age and the physicality alone will not be possible. Mother is possible. The adoption theory is believable. It could be that Lydia is adopted by her current mother which is the sister of Meredith. That will explain her being at the grandma's silent room.

Some questions

What happended to the bratty lacrosse kid? and Liam?
Issac and Deputy Parrish possible brothers?
Where is Cora Hale? His brother is dying right?

Flag
What do you mean age and physicality will not be possible? We're talking supernatural creatures here. They could be ageless. Kira's mom is 900 years old...

The bratty lacrosse kid I assume went back to his home town. Liam wasn't in the last episode cause he was a freshmen and none of them were taking the PSAT.

Cora is in south america. They mentioned that in 3b.
And while it's insanely silly she didn't even give a damn when her brother was kidnapped, we know the actress left the show and they're just ignoring her from now on.
Flag

I don't understand your view on adoption theory being believable, your words are too big for me to understand. Anyway nevermind. I've very confused on Meredith as well, however I came across this video and actually watched it (took me a good 10 minutes to find it again... damn I had no idea how many random interviews celebrities do especially at comic con). Anyway watch this short minute, from this interview Holland Roden (Lydia) did at Comic-Con. Important information pertaining to Banshee-ism at 5:50ish. + some boring Parrish stuff towards the end.

Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
That's a fine theory, but this show has yet to set the trippy-far-out mystery bar that high. I mean Stiles as the villain is about as high as it goes, and I wouldn't call that layered. Anyway, I think Lydia's gram was a banshee and just trained Meredith. The real questions is: does becoming a banshee drive you insane with grief?
Flag
Possibly - at least if you have no support system around you, and you're especially empathic etc.
Lydia probably stands a better chance than most because she has a group of friends who KNOW about her powers and can support her, and because she has good self-esteem. And while she can certainly be caring and empathic when she wants to, she can also be a bit cold and cruel and ruthless - probably good survival traits in this case.

Flag
I think Lydia's own attitude and her being part of a supernatural pack is exactly what she needs to stay sane. As long as she has her support system in place, and keeps putting the victims' deaths behind her, she'll be okay. I just think Meredith's death affected her so much because she was the only other banshee Lydia had ever met. I also believe Lydia is feeling guilty about possibly having driven Meredith to suicide by asking her for help even though Meredith felt she couldn't help her.
Flag
I like the idea that she is Lydia's dead grandmother, however it makes no sense. How would everyone else see her when she is dead? I understand Lydia seeing her, or maybe even all super naturals seeing her. But regular people? The Eichen house people definitely saw her, the people in the police station saw her. Unless banshees who access their full power can transcend death?

Also I think they are lining that storyline up for Lydia's catalyst for finally controlling her powers, i always saw Meredith as a means to an end.
Flag
Or a simple possibility that she isn't dead, she just doesn't age much and faked her out death a long long time ago.

While I don't agree with this theory and think it's more likely that the grandmother and Meredith were together a long time ago or that she is Lydia's second cousin or something.
Flag
I just figured that with Peter Hale coming back from the dead, having a Banshee with a real connection to death come back wouldn't be THAT big a step. ;)
And yes, I mean all the way, physical presence and ability to die included.
It could help explain why she was so messed up - passing through death probably isn't a walk in the park.
I agree that it's unlikely, I just can't quite get the idea out of my head. ;)
Flag
i'll be honest, I wasn't thinking about a banshee being dead for x amount of time then coming back to life like peter. I was assuming some kind of anti-aging special ability. I think what is more likely is banshees age slowly once they assume their full power and that lydia's grandmother was a lot older than the family realized. Which could in turn make meredith a lot older than she knew.

So talking about reaching out of left field greyminerva, what if meredith is still alive and she is the benefactor? She puts herself and lydia on the list knowing she can come back and she can teach lydia how to come back also. Or her and the orderly have a deal, which makes him the one who got the money out of the vault. It would explain how the benefactor knows so much about everyone.
Flag
Hmmm - the fact that the code keys have been either names of dead people or people who are about to die, could support the theory that The Benefactor is a Banshee, or has contact with one. :D

I've been thinking that the names (especially Allison, as she wasn't a supernatural creature) would mean that whoever it is was in it for revenge/justice, some sort of twisted hunter thinking making it sensible to take out ALL the supernaturals in and around Beacon Hills to protect the humans. But using Aiden as the second code means they're not just reacting to human deaths, so now I have no clue again. :p
Flag
It makes sense that they are protecting the humans, however i think the benefactor is up to something nefarious. I doubt it is because they want to help the city. Remember beacon hills is some kind of actual beacon to the supernatural. So maybe there is a literal benefit to that and the benefactor wants to use it.
Flag
I think they don't look white because of the wall lighting. Take a look at the electrical outlet, which doesn't exactly look white either. And the record player seems to be the same, and that has a rather modern look. I'll watch the episode again after I take my final tomorrow... maybe something will jump out at me then.
Flag
If the house is that old it was probably just remodeled that's all. Tbh I love Lydia's character and all but I have felt that the search for answers on where her banshee powers came from and when she'll learn how to use them has dragged so long now. I know we'll get answer about her history this season but I do not want to go another 5th season of her being clueless again. Make her have control and be a badass Banshee at least one episode please before next season.
Flag
I'd actually liked how they were handling Lydia's powers. I didn't want it to come too easily to her. But enough is enough. It's time for her to learn how to control her powers now.
Flag
The problem is, as soon as she has control, the writers are in a total jam. Which is why they are doing this whole thing like this in the first place.

Let's say that she has control over her powers, that means we instantly know when someone is going to die, or more precisely when nobody is going to die and none of the gang is in danger.

They can work around it, like last episode, where Lydia will just say "someone" is going to die and it will be a minor character - but how many times can we go through it over and over again?

That is why although I liked the fact they added a banshee since it's not all over the place on tv right now (unlike vampires...), it is far better off to be kept for a minor character only and not for one of the main ones.
Flag
I have to agree. Not only is it becoming really annoying deus-ex-machina every time they want her to find out something (which takes either a long time or really short time depending on how much time they got left in the episode)

But it's also insanely out of character for her. Lydia is the only one in the gang (maybe short of newly added Kira) that's supposed to be a brainiac.
She's the book worm that learns Latin and what not

But investigating her own supernatural powers is not something she goes all the way with?
Flag
I never got the sense that Kira was supposed to be a brainiac? If anything, I thought Stiles was supposed to be pretty smart. Whenever we've seen his grades, they've been As, and he's demonstrated cleverness, knowledge, and intelligence on several occasions. Of course, they've now got him relying on Lydia's notes just like everyone else.

At least they're relying on her notes though, which is progress, since Stiles used to be the only who knew how smart she truly was thanks to her playing dumb during seasons 1 and 2.
Flag
I thought that particular moment was the virus, but you could be right.

Frankly, Kira is insanely inconsistent as it is.
I mean she's supposed to be super ninja in one moment and then falls down awkwardly the next.

Regardless, my original point was that since Kira is new, I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt regarding her brain skills. From the known characters, Lydia is clearly the book worm.
Flag
I don't think she was trying to act dumb. Rather, I think she was supposed to come across as a little bit awkward. Her parents say Scott's not her first boyfriend, but it really seems like he is. It's like she's experiencing these feelings for the first time ever. I wonder what the end game is with her personality though. I mean, as a kitsune, she's supposed to be a trickster, and yet, she's quite possibly the most naive member of the group. And let's not forget her Liam Seduction Attempt. Either she is fooling EVERYONE and is the best kitsune ever, or she's actually the worst one ever.
Flag
I was referring to the PSAT answers and how she acted in general in that specific episode. When Malia talked to her, she seemed to be really dumbed down in that scenario which I assumed was part of the virus effect on hers
Flag
@JasonMelvil

Are you talking about Kira playing dumb in general.

or is it in response to the answers she marked on the PSAT which I believe the point was, she wasn't filling in circles she was answering outside the fill in bubbles which meant neurologically she was being effected.
Flag
No, her dad wouldn't have been able to tell if she'd gotten the answers wrong just by looking at her scantron. What the scantron showed was that she was filling in imaginary circles. Like you know how the options are A, B, C, D, and E? She was marking answers as if there options like F and G after E, and options before A.
Flag
In D&D terms, Stiles has the highest wisdom.
Lydia has the highest intelligence.

In other words, you come to Lydia when you require knowledge (like Latin lessons). You come to Stiles when you need a plan of action.

As for Kira, wasn't the point of the PSAT episode hinted at that as a fact since she was affected by becoming really dumb?

I just thought they were playing the Asian racial stereotype.

Quite possibly I read that wrong.
Flag
I don't know, I kind of like that she can't focus it. Imagine if she had that level of control. There'd be no mystery or danger. "Guys, a new evil will arrive tomorrow and kill Monica Reyes at 11:34 PM. This is what he looks like." And then she shows them a detailed drawing. Besides, I think her inability to focus it is what's keeping her sane. Look at Meredith. Focused, but cray-cray. Maybe being able to focus means the ability has to be always on, and constantly seeing death will just push you over the edge, you know?

Anyway, I think her lack of focus makes ability a tolerable Deus Ex Machina. She's helpful enough to point the gang in the right direction, and warn them something is up, but there's still a sense of mystery/urgency about it. Imagine how easy the Sheriff's job would be. "Lydia, we--" "You found a body. Daniel Harrison. The killer's name is Natalie Stone. You can find her at the coffee shop." Too much, man. Too much. :(
Flag
I understand you're point but lets say so far Lydia has 20% control and I wish its bumped to at least 50%, I'll use your example.

Lydia, we--" "You found a body. Daniel Harrison. The killer's name is... Natalie Stone.. or was it Clair? Fuck, but she does work at some coffee shop.. I think."

Just a little bit more control Lydia, a little bit more ;)
Flag
And have it turn out that she doesn't work at a coffee shop, but rather frequents the Beacon Hills Starbucks on a daily basis?
Flag
Flag
Flag
i really like the idea of her being lydia's dead grandmother. the only thing is that you'd think that at some point lydia would have seen a picture of her grandmother and recognized meredith. people's looks usually dont change drastically from the time they are teenagers to the time they are adults.
Flag
Unless, maybe Lydia is adopted. That would at least explain her not recognizing Meredith, if she is in fact, her grandmother.
Flag
If Lydia's grandmother/family has a soundproofed "Banshee-room" in their lakehouse, it speaks against the adoption theory. I find it more likely that she comes from a Banshee bloodline. That being said, I didn't consider that Meredith might be related to Lydia in a perfectly normal manner - maybe a cousin, maybe a half-sister or something.
Flag
Good point. I don't know what I was thinking there..lol
Flag
Follow this Show
Members