A Teen Wolf Community
Monday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music Television

Banshees in the totally supernatural myths are either Fairies or they are ghosts like creatures. So, I am wondering, if she isn't immune so much as she died enabling her to take the full journey to becoming a banshee. It might make her safe, but it might also mean she helps deliver Scott to being a True Alpha and then she can fully pass into the Otherworld. I know there is a lot of both kind of mythos surrounding the show (both Fae and basic Celtic stuff together with sort of resurrection knowledge) and then there is the whole drowning his former self thing in the promo of Scott...I don't know, just a thought.

Comments (16)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I want to know where the Teen Wolf writers get their information from, because I can research for a whole day and not find a website other than the TW Wiki's that has the information. I know it is correct information as I have friends who, along with me, believe in the Salem Witches, and they have ancient books packed with different supernatural species and information. The bite of an Alpha (Peter) on an undeveloped Banshee (Lydia) would not kill them but would 'mutate' them. Chris Argent I think explains that a banshee is not really a supernatural creature (I don't believe that) but does have a link to the supernatural world. And so 'The Bite' wouldn't have killed Lydia, even if she was very weak because the bite would only affect the supernatural side of her, if she wasn't a banshee, she would have either died or the pack (Scott, Stiles, Allison) would have had to get a cure or something.
But I like the idea :D
Flag
Also, this may seem weird and funny to some but my username is not a random nickname, I am a real Banshee I believe, I have friends (that I mentioned in the comment) who do not only believe in the Salem Witches, they ARE Witches, I also have another friend who is a Spirit Keeper. Anyone could be something and I would like to help anyone find that out. Unfortunately though, it is quite hard find that out because only certain things can trigger that part of you as your conscious mind blocks it out.

Flag
And also, if you want to find out more you can email me: winterfrey365@gmail.com
I am pretty good and fast at replying :D

Flag
Would be cool, but I don't think so.
Flag
Very interesting question. I've been pondering on what kind of mythology they will base Lydia's "Bansheeness".
According to mythology Banshees are spirits from the Otherworld where deities and spirits live.
But Lydia has been a real person who has had close encounters with death that potentially have woken her sleeping abilities? (I really do hope she's not dead, that would be a bummer.)
I'm into your line of thinking. I'd like Lydia as a future part of Scott's pack. One way could be that Lydia becomes his future emissary.
And the other… I've read that the first "reported" Banshee was the Irish battle goddess, the Morrígan. She is considered a war deity comparable to the Germanic Valkyries. And to top this all off, Morrígan is a threesome of goddesses (very confusing).
First, there's Badb, a war goddess who often caused fear and confusion among soldiers in order to move the tide of battle to her favored side.
Second, there's Macha, a war goddess associated with war, horses, sovereignty.
Third, there's Nemain, who is the fairy spirit of the frenzied havoc of war.
So, a Banshee could have some active powers to her and I like the idea that Lydia would get some ability to fight the Darach. I don't think that Scott and Derek could do it by themselves and I'm not counting on the Alpha Pack, either.
After browsing through the mythology, a Banshee could almost be anything (not necessarily a weeping old woman, they could be young and beautiful or even shapeshift into animals), so the TW writers have a lot of room to form their own special brand of a Banshee.
More+
Flag
I have this fun theory that like the silver comb that is in some mythologies about banshees (or mermaids and there might be some cross over in the myths here in teen wolf considering the power over men Lydia has always shown) that, if stolen, turns banshees into these rageful creatures who will drag the thief body and soul to the afterlife. For some reason when I think of Lydia, I think of her putting on lip gloss. So, just as the wolves are all at a loss, seemingly innocuously Jennifer picks up Lydia's lip gloss and that is the final step to awaken her powers. And then, seriously watch out. I mean wouldn't it kind of be awesome that, technically, two years in a row Lydia actually saves the day (but this time she gets to kick a little ass).

Now, I think it could either be that she can shift into the three common forms of the banshee (young woman, matron or old crone) or that maybe she turns into a Morrigan type as you describe, which might make sense. Jennifer (I know I said I would stop) said something about her being the young flower on the surface but the wicked snake underneath. So that leads me to think the Morrigan might make sore sense, and even though I know that has basis in Fae mythology just like banshees, I somehow think the goddess idea is more relevant.

What I am almost thinking is there is sort of like a thing Scott likely has to do something to become a True Alpha fully, something more has to happen for Lydia to become...geez, this gets back to whatever exactly she is supposed to be to him. But I'd like to think that she is the one who can actually get past all the defenses the Darach has built up.
More +
Flag
...cordelia chase?
Flag
Yes
Flag
I hope this isn't true, because the most they've done this season is turn her into a plot device rather than treat her like actual person. Her talk with Scott at the end of last episode was a step in the right direction, and I think she would make a great Girl Friday for him. I do think her banshee-ness is going to tie into Scott's True Alpha-ness, but given the ratio of male to female characters, I really hope they don't kill her.
Flag
Me too if for no other reason than to give Scott a good basis for a pack since we have made it so clear that an alpha needs one and as important as Alison and Stiles are to him and will likely be considered by other werewolves as part of his pack, they are both totally human which you would think affects Scott's power base. Lydia, on the other hand, as supernatural creature herself might give him a leg up. Especially if you attribute some of the, well, random other associations with banshees. Some tales talk about if they have a silver comb, they use it sometimes to lure people (it is unclear if this is banshees or mermaids) but if someone steals it from her, she can come after them. With Lydia, I weirdly assume that would be her lip gloss.
Flag
Her lip gloss is shiny. So I assume it has reflective properties.
Flag
I just figured she uses it so much it may as well be her talisman and lo be the person who takes it from her (wouldn't it be funny if that is how she ultimately defeats the Darach? Like our boys leave her to the Alphas, but she manages to escape, in attempting to do whatever she is doing, she somehow takes Lydia's lip gloss and it just awakens a strength and rage in Lydia that can't be stopped even if the Darach manages to finish her knot of sacrifices)
Flag
I like your theory. It would explain why her supernatural powers started to kick in after Peter bit her. If the writers go that route it would be sad to see Lydia go it would unexpected and meaningful to see her pass on in peace.
Flag
I looked that up a little and what I think is that when she was born she died for like a min before she was saved by the doctors that how most human banshee myths go.
Flag
I'll buy that. Lydia was definitely in a coma for a long time before that bathtub scene.

For Kate, not sure how this relates to Scott, you have to explain that more.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members