Teen Wolf Forums

Monday 10:00 PM on MTV - Music TelevisionBetween Seasons

True Alpha

RaizenYusuke

[1]Jul 16, 2013
    • level: 28

I'm not surprised there is a way for werewolf to become an Alpha without killing one to take the power. I am surprised that its so rare that it only happens about hundred years. I was sure Derek's sister Laura became an Alpha without killing (since the Hale pack was killed off). Now I wonder how she became one then. This storyline is surprising and actually fitting when you look back on season 2 and we see Scott becoming more of a leader and rallying people behind him.

Now we at least understand why Deucalion wants to kill Scott or get Derek to do it. If Scott was just some regular Alpha I doubt he would care. I've been wondering what makes him so special. True Alpha is so special I'm willing to bet its more powerful than the Alphas who steal the power. Since Scott still hasn't fully become a True Alpha yet that his awakening is still far off and Deucalion is going to do whatever he can to stop it or get him to join.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mikelalba

[2]Jul 16, 2013
    • level: 5

Well, I suppose Derek's sister was an Alpha because she took part in some sort of a war. I would say that Derek and DEMON WOLF know each other, Derek is acting as if he had heard enough about him, previously in his life. This attitude makes me think of enemy families or packs, and that would make sense with Derek's sister killing another alpha.

But anyway, I would say that the True Alpha concept is just a way to get Scott some more action in the show. I mean that it was not possible, belieavable to have Scot killing other Alphas, who had previously gained power killing their wolves, if he was just a Beta.

Thus, to make belieavable that both Derek and Scott can defeat the bad guys, more powerful than normal alphas, Derek and Scott had to become something different. And "voila", killing Boyd, Derek now is more poweful, and being the True Alpha, we would believe that Scott is also enough powerful to take down the Nails Lady

KateSullivan

[3]Jul 16, 2013
    • level: 3

I've always figured there are two other ways of becoming an Alpha which I think might still fall under the category of take another Alpha's power. The first is that I think there is a way to bequest the power, which is an option for the way that Laura got it from her mother. Like she was the oldest, they trained her for the possibility she might become a true alpha but there is a ritual to make sure an Alpha who dies under circumstances that don't have anything to do with werewolf stuff (like in a house fire) can make sure they pass the power on to another wolf. I think there probably is also a ritual where an Alpha can do this and become an Omega wolf or whatever if they feel they are getting to old or whatever.

But yeah, I imagine there is something more that Scott has to do to become a fully empowered True Alpha (there is some ritual that Scott and Stiles try and do in the second to last episode, which might be trying to hurry the procedure along) and it is something more spiritual or mystical and that very well might be why Lydia is important to Scott. She might be the person who can be the other half of the ritual or whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if Derek learns all of this and asks Deaton if he does a ritual passing on his Alpha ability to Scott will it work quicker, and that might actually be the big thing at the end of this half of the season (sort of if you will, Bo's fight with her mother and Dyson giving up his wolf to give her strength in the second season finale of Lost Girl). But I suspect that for a little while, Deaton and Scott will try and keep this between them since Scott can probably pull up the yellow eyes more of the time and hide his Alpha ability - basically for his own safety.

I am also guessing the lunar eclipse is likely important for Scott, just because that also so seems like the time the Druid would strike hard and fast.

RaizenYusuke

[4]Jul 16, 2013
    • level: 28
    True. Derek is getting a lot of crap for not being able to take down member of this Alpha pack, but these are Alphas who are super charged from killing their own packs, while Derek is a regular Alpha. Now that he was forced to kill Boyd he'll gain his power. I also agree the True Alpha concept fits Scott's character more than him killing a Alpha. Interesting enough I wonder if Isaac is going to survive this season. I know he was given a bigger role than Erica and Boyd, but honestly he's the most likely regular character to be killed off for good in the future now that Boyd is gone.

tv_worm

[5]Jul 23, 2013
    • level: 12

Ever since they revealed was a true alpha is, something has been bothering me. So, apparently there is 2 ways to become an alpha:

1. Kill an alpha and take his power

2. Become an alpha by just your will and become a "true alpha". A rare occurrence.

Now in the first case, a new alpha is made only when another alpha is destroyed. So the number of alphas never really change. That means for there to be so many alphas out there today, there might have been a considerable amount of "true alphas" in the history of the show for the betas to destroy them and take their place. How then can it be a rare occurrence? Unless, the show is yet to reveal a third way to become an alpha, maybe you don't need to kill them but rather just defeat them or maybe it can pass down from generation to generation.

KateSullivan

[6]Jul 24, 2013
    • level: 3
    I might say that (in terms of the number of alphas etc) is that it is entirely possible that however many of Lycanos (sp) sons might have been the original True Alphas and maybe it is something that you lose if you do hurt an innocent, so say there were seven brothers all who were True Alphas and then four of them killed an innocent in making their packs stronger or just because they were not nice people and that made them lose whatever makes True Alphas better or whatever it might do for them more than just being a regular Alpha. But those three retained their True Alpha status and just eventually died of old age, maybe they made more wolves or maybe they didn't but the True Alpha thing likely remained in their bloodline. So when a person like Scott comes along, and lets be honest, if not for Stiles dragging him out to see the body it is not likely Peter would have bit him otherwise because he wouldn't put himself in the situation. Not because he is a wimp but because he is responsible and whatnot (he was kind of complaining the whole time he had planned to have a good night's sleep for school the next morning and was ready to start the be a better Scott program even at that point even if it was just focused on lacrosse). But maybe Scott carries those bloodlines and provided he doesn't kill, when he is ready, he can become a True Alpha. I think the danger that is presented in the rest of the season is that Scott isn't yet ready to become the True Alpha and Deucalion probably knows this and wants to put him in a situation where he will have to kill. It really is the only reason I can think of that Deucalion doesn't just put the Darach in the ground himself, it seems like he could. But otherwise, it kind of seems like packs and I am assuming here that Deucalion, Ennis and Kali's were all bitten packs, seem to end at about five members (which makes sense, the Alpha needs three to get to full power and two alternates makes sense). The Hale pack, probably because it is family based, well, I already count three wolves that Talia had as of the flashback (Derek, Laura, Peter) and while I will believe she was just effecting the earth mother look, she might also have been pregnant with Cora. And presumably Peter has parents himself and I wonder if Derek's father was a wolf or not

HannahRocks

[7]Jul 25, 2013
    • level: 7
    wow kate that's a lot to think about and I agree with you Deucalion might force scott into his true alpha hood by forcing him to kill or his mom dies or someone close to him how they have been showing that they get t him by the people closes to him and he always tries to win both ways but maybe they will be expecting that and play that into their plans to make him become the true alpha he could be that way Deucalion can get his rare power or whatever it is that will make scott strong enough to get the alpha alpha pack

tv_worm

[8]Jul 25, 2013
    • level: 12

Thanks KateSullivan, I completely forgot that the Lycanos theory indicates that more than one person became a werewolf. For some reason I assumed that there was only one first werewolf who was an alpha so it seemed a bit weird that there are now so many. But I guess if there were quite a few and all their kids also became werewolves and so on and so forth then the number of alphas makes sense.

Jedidiyah

[9]Jul 26, 2013
    • level: 4

This may be somewhat off-topic, but I do not see a thread for Visionary.There is one thing I didn't get: when Derek was a beta in season 1 his eyes were glowing yellow, not blue if I recall. At least I remember how everybody got excited about Jackson's blue eyes in season 2 finale and wondered what it meant. Sodid he go back from blue to yellow somehow?

Also, who do you think the darach is, assuming it's a character we already know? My personal preference is Peter Hale, because it will be in his murderous character, and will give his continued presencea purpose. Also, he is skilled in occult rituals as his resurrection demonstrated, and has history with the chemistry teachersame asthe darach. It would also neatly explain why he refused to help Derekat the bank. Presumably,Peter stillwants to upgrade his diminished powers, and what better way than to kill a true alpha himself or something. That would give him a motive for opposing Deucalion's agenda. Other choices like Gerard orDeaton's sister (I don't believe it's Deaton as Gerard suggested) just seem more boring.

Btw, so far I enjoyed Visionary the most this season.

Edited on 07/26/2013 10:07am

XGalt

[10]Jul 29, 2013
    • level: 13

All this debate aside I just hope when he finally does become a "True Alpha" they pay off on the credit sequence and have him float like some kind of werewolf messiah.Laughing

HannahRocks

[11]Aug 5, 2013
    • level: 7
    XGalt wrote:

All this debate aside I just hope when he finally does become a "True Alpha" they pay off on the credit sequence and have him float like some kind of werewolf messiah.Laughing

haha that would be cool